Gabriel Veron

GledTheRed

All you need to know about Gabriel Veron, Man Utd's wonderkid target

Despite currently being top of the Premier League, Manchester United still want to strengthen their squad and are reportedly targeting Palmeiras’ Gabriel Veron.

According to Sport, United are currently in pole position to sign Veron, who reportedly has a £53million release clause in his contract.

Manchester City, Juventus, Barcelona and Real Madrid are all thought to also have an eye on him and we’ve brought you the lowdown on the talented teenager.

The story so far

Veron was born in the north of Brazil, in the municipality of Assu. He was named after Juan Sebastian Veron but initially wanted to follow in his father’s footsteps and become a cowboy.

His mother encouraged him to pursue a career in football, and he started playing for local non-league side Santa Cruz de Natal.

The forward was snapped up by Palmeiras in 2017 and scored nine goals in the Under-17 Club World Cup in 2018, including one in the 4-2 win over Real Madrid in the final.

He also helped Brazil win the 2019 FIFA Under-17 World Cup and was awarded the Golden Ball after scoring three goals in the tournament.

The 18-year-old moved into Palmeiras’ senior squad in 2019 and has since registered 10 goals and five assists in 34 first-team appearances, playing alongside the likes of Felipe Melo and Luiz Adriano.

After scoring in a 5-0 win over Tigre in October 2020, he became the youngest Palmeiras player to ever score in a Copa Libertadores match.

What kind of player is he?

Nicknamed “Bolt” by his team-mates, Veron is very much a forward who uses his low centre of gravity and acceleration to terrorise defenders, popping up anywhere along the front line and fearlessly taking on opponents.

A glance at his highlight real shows him thundering home acrobatic volleys, breezing past full-backs and regularly picking the right pass when a team-mate finds himself in space.

His quick feet frequently get him out of tight spots as well. He regularly finds himself faced with two opponents in the middle of the park, but with a quick flick, he is free and running at the defence again.

The forward primarily plays on the right-wing, a position where United have struggled in recent seasons, so there is no doubt that he could have an immediate impact at Old Trafford.

What he said

– “Beating my marker is my job and I get a lot of joy from it,” Veron told The Athletic in 2019. “I’m always looking to go at my man, to dribble past him, to make things happen. I like those individual battles.”

– He (Cristiano Ronaldo) always seeks to do his best and beat his own records,” Veron told Globo Esporte in 2019.” I think so (on having similar styles). Of strength, always looking for the best, scoring goals.”

– “I like my name and will honour it just like he did. I saw appearances of him on YouTube, but never saw him live. He was a very good player,” he said on Juan Sebastian Veron. “I think, he would be proud of me. I believe I could do our name proud.”

– “That’s my father’s profession – he’s a ranch hand who takes care of cattle and horses,” Veron told FIFA.com in 2019.

“He works in the countryside, and I tried to do the job alongside him, but just couldn’t. Fortunately, my mother kept encouraging me to pursue a career in football to try to have a better future. So, I dedicated myself to being a footballer.”

What they’ve said

– “He’s a kid with enormous talent,” former Brazi striker Bebeto told Correio Brasiliense in 2019. “I looked for more information about him and I was impressed once I saw him wearing the No.7 producing beautiful plays.

“I watched him score a goal dribbling from almost his own half before finding the net with a quality finish, calmly beating the opposition goalkeeper.”

– “It is impossible for Palmeiras to sell this player for less than Neymar was sold to Barcelona,” Palmeiras manager Abel Ferreira said.

– “He’s a boy with loads of quality, so it’s up to us to slowly give him space to play in the first team,” Andrey Lopes, former Palmeiras’ caretaker manager, said. “I’m sure he’ll provide much joy to our fans.”

– “He has a great relationship with the ball, but that’s only part of it,” Palmeiras Under-17 coach Artur Itiro told The Athletic in 2019. “He is also able to keep control at high speed. You don’t see many players who are able to marry those two characteristics, even at senior level.

“There are plenty of quick, explosive wide players, but Gabriel also has great balance and a vast repertoire of tricks. He can flick the ball over a defender’s head, do eye-catching things like that.

“He is a player who unbalances opponents, and he can do it on both wings. On the left, he cuts in and drives towards the box; on the right he likes to reach the byline.

“And we have even been using him as a No 10 recently, trying to make the most of his dribbling skills in the tight spaces around the penalty area. That shows that his game is not just about speed

SATA

This is like the Caicedo story. Will turn out that we aren't interested at all except the club’s name being used by his people

red thru&thru

This is like the Caicedo story. Will turn out that we aren't interested at all except the club’s name being used by his people
Seems like it. Probably saw what impact it had with the Caicedo deal.

Mark Pawelek

Lovely 1st touch and cool finish here

In reply to all those calling us muppets. There's not enough to link him with United as yet; just glowing scouting reports. But he ain't staying in Brazil. I'd be surprised if he's not left for Europe by the end of June.

Good overall stats too for an 18 year old. Recently been improving in Brazil at the top tier.

Last edited:

RUCK4444

I know nothing about him but I REALLY feckin want us to sign him already... muppets gunna muppet :(

That outside of the boot 40 yard lob is a disgrace, filthy.

Diabovermelho

As a brazilian, i watch plenty of games of Brasileirao, and i can say that this kid is special. He's mostly a winger, capable of playing in either side. He reminds me of Ansu Fati. Huge talent, for the fair price, it would be a great addition for us.

RedDevilRoshi

Exactly. He’ll probably end up at Brighton or some team similar.

wolvored

We haven't given diallo or pelestri any game time yet why would we want another unproven at premier level kid? Isn't Diallo supposed to be the next Messi?

witchtrials

We haven't given diallo or pelestri any game time yet why would we want another unproven at premier level kid? Isn't Diallo supposed to be the next Messi?
About time we started looking to the future and replaced the new Messi with the new Fati.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I read somewhere that his style is similar to Suarez.
I guess in some clips I can see it.

Nevertheless, the Caicedo deal made me realise not to jump on the bandwagon until Fabrizio hits us with a Here we gooo!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Nevertheless, the Caicedo deal made me realise not to jump on the bandwagon until Fabrizio hits us with a Here we gooo!
He’ll add bite to the attack then

Alemar

Defenders allowed him too much space in the clip. It won’t be the same here...

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
He seems like a talent but £53 million release clause is ridiculous. Its one thing to be spending that kind of a money on a prospect like Neymar, who was a generational talent and clearly the best player in South America before he moved to Europe. But this kid is a lot closer to Martinelli or Pellistri right now.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Probably gonna end up in Madrid or Barca. I'm just happy United ended up with Mejbri, Pellistri & Diallo.

If this is true and will happen then Ole seriously going after every wordlwide talent there is. Exciting times.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

same here.I reckon we were interested in Caicedo but it was nowhere near getting done. Not getting invested in these links anymore until it’s late in the day. He looks talented though.

Welbeckham

I don’t know if he would be able to make it in Europe, but that is one of the best highlight videos I’ve ever seen. His pace is absolutely ridiculous and at least on that level he has the brain and composure (not to mention the technique) to do something with it. Reminds me of Hazard.

NYAS

He seems like a talent but £53 million release clause is ridiculous. Its one thing to be spending that kind of a money on a prospect like Neymar, who was a generational talent and clearly the best player in South America before he moved to Europe. But this kid is a lot closer to Martinelli or Pellistri right now.
This kid is miles ahead of Martinelli and Pellistri when they were coming out of South America. Not even in the same hemisphere of talent.

Neymar was also 3 years older than Veron when he made the move to Europe. The release clause is fair given that Vinicius and Rodrygo were snapped up for 45m each. Veron is better than Rodrygo was at that age and about as good as Vinicius when he left. A player’s worth is determined by precedent almost as much as his talent these days.

NYAS

Exactly. He’ll probably end up at Brighton or some team similar.
No chance. He’s not in the same talent bracket as Caicedo. If the Spanish big two weren’t broke then he’d be at one of them by now.

Ricky Spanish

As a brazilian, i watch plenty of games of Brasileirao, and i can say that this kid is special. He's mostly a winger, capable of playing in either side. He reminds me of Ansu Fati. Huge talent, for the fair price, it would be a great addition for us.
Hello, I would like to purchase one ticket for the muppet train please. I'm going all the way.

Coops73

And he’s probably got 15 different agents and is 28.3% owned by some other club we’ve never heard of which will probably make this deal “difficult”

Tallis

How do you compare him vs Antony ?

Diabovermelho

How do you compare him vs Antony ?
He's better than Antony. Some people comparing him to Caicedo, but he's also on a whole different level. Veron is probably the most valuable player in the Brasileirao this season, and perhaps the most promising player of South America right now.

His strongest position i would say is as a right winger, but he's perfectly capable of playing left winger as well and as a striker. He's very fast and scores a lot.

If we sign him, i would say he's as capable as Diallo of being a starter for us.

Reactions: Penna