Game 6: Poland vs Northern Ireland

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I suppose it's to be expected but the commentary on the BBC has been sickeningly biased towards the British teams. Not even an attempt to seem impartial.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Poor half for Poland. They really should have had a goal by now, but NI have held firm in their ways.

However, with the amount of pressure and dominance Poland have had, they will surely get a goal soon.

Tiber

Don't like the way we are playing at all and if they keep this up we will concede. But hard to be mad about it if we get in at half time 0-0

Kostur

海尔的老板
Meh, decent half I guess, NIrishes not interested in attacking really, we're overdoing it with crossing with their heighty defenders, pretty good half from Krychowiak so far as he's making things tick and his hollywood passes are landing where they are supposed to, no major blunders I guess, disappointing from Lewy and Milik, Jędza is pretty shit, slowing things down every time he switches to his right.

Skills

Snitch
Poland don't really make good use of Lewandowski. They need to get the ball into him a lot quicker

Tiber

1.5 million people in NI so I'd like to think Russia had a better team. Awful match but so far so good.
When you think about it, 1.5 pop, half of those are women, some of the male population play rugby and other sports, some like me are fat, some don't like any sports, some wouldn't play for the country even if they were good enough, some play football and are just shite. Our actual pool of footballers must be very small

donkeyfish

Most boring half of the Euros I guess. NI has defended quite well, keeping the Poles at bay. If Poland keep up their unimaginative offensive play, NI should draw this quite easy. Unless one of them are capable of a screamer goal a la Modric/Payet

Tiber

Northern Ireland is more negative than a Pulis team.
Pulis gets result. Get a point or more here, get beat by Germany, get a result in the next game and we might qualify from a tough group.

NoPace

We aren't creating any to be honest
Seems like the obvious moves would be to bring on this Zelinski chap at half-time and hope the central midfield looks a bit more creative and bring on an LB who can cross a ball with his left foot, o even use a winger there. Northern Ireland don't look so likely to threaten on the break, so why not take a risk and go for 3 points?

On the plus side for Poland, Kuba seems to be moving quite well. Strong right side, Lewandowski up top, Krychowiak, Glik and Szczesny in defense is still a solid core.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Didn't England win their group? Admittedly we're bad, not this bad though.
Yeah, so did NI. It was Romania who finished runners-up and Hungary who sneaked through in play-offs. Unlike England NI don't have an inflated sense of expectation. England are trying to play possession football with technically deficient players and will get shown up against a quality team. NI have a way of playing that suits them against every team.

narnar

Needs Help
When you think about. 1.5 pop, half of those are women, some of the male population play rugby and other sports, some like me are fat, some don't like any sports, some wouldn't play for the country even if they were good enough, some play football and are just shite. Our actual pool of footballers must be very small
Not to mention that a good few play gaelic sports from a young age too.

NoPace

Pulis gets result. Get a point or more here, get beat by Germany, get a result in the next game and we might qualify from a tough group.
I don't understand this thinking in general. The weaker teams need to win a game. 2 points isn't enough to go through and 3 draws is real tough to accomplish. Northern Ireland isn't going to go through unless they draw Germany or get a win against Poland or Ukraine. I'd bet on the latter if I was them. I'm not saying that defending deep isn't their likeliest way to get a win, but in general, teams should be going for it and trying to get 3 points, which alone might see them through.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
A Pulis team is usually a threat for the other team from time to time on free kicks and corners, Northern Ireland play like San Marino in attack by posing absolutely no threat to Poland. They'll need to keep a clean sheet to have any hope of a point in this game.

Tiber

I don't understand this thinking in general. The weaker teams need to win a game. 2 points isn't enough to go through and 3 draws is real tough to accomplish. Northern Ireland isn't going to go through unless they draw Germany or get a win against Poland or Ukraine. I'd bet on the latter if I was them. I'm not saying that defending deep isn't their likeliest way to get a win, but in general, teams should be going for it and trying to get 3 points, which alone might see them through.
If I was manager I would be aiming for D-L-W

I don't like how we are playing here, if they keep this up it wont stay 0-0. We played some good football to win the group. Just a shame lewandowski is such a threat

binary bot
Why are people so harsh on N.I? They're not great and they know it. Better playing tight and hoping for a miracle goal than going for it and getting thumped.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Seems like the obvious moves would be to bring on this Zelinski chap at half-time and hope the central midfield looks a bit more creative and bring on an LB who can cross a ball with his left foot, o even use a winger there. Northern Ireland don't look so likely to threaten on the break, so why not take a risk and go for 3 points?

On the plus side for Poland, Kuba seems to be moving quite well. Strong right side, Lewandowski up top, Krychowiak, Glik and Szczesny in defense is still a solid core.
I honestly don't know we can do here. N. Ireland don't even attempt to pretend to pretend to be out there to get anything other than 0-0. We will probably keep lumping the ball forward hoping they lose focus at one point and we score. If you miss chances like the one Milik had it might be tough.

Tiber

Nobody is trying to say NI are a great team so stop trying to wind folk up.
Bloody proud of our squad full of championship, league 1,2 and SPL players. They may not be playing sexy football today, but they are playing better than some of the bigger (in terms of reputation and population) countries who didn't even qualify.

Tiber

Interesting to see an attacking substitution at half time

Bojan11

How was McNair? I know he's been subbed off, but just started watching.