Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I'd agree with that. Personally I hated 3 more than 4. But its been enjoyable to watch visually.
3 was illogical and massively disappointing considering all the build up, but again in isolation it was a well made episode and I was able to enjoy it, other than it being a bit dark.

4 was boring and stupid and I think if I watch the season again I'll probably skip it entirely.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Not only that, but it's going to be the same people writing it.
The season done all over again but this time Daenerys just kind of forgets Cersei has an army :drool:.

edit: I say an army, but in fairness I reckon a bunch of tesco bags blowing in the wind would have put up a better defence of King's Landing.

Sylar

The writing has been shit, and it's horribly rushed. No way could they tie it all up properly with six episodes remaining, especially when they spent 2 episodes chilling in Winterfell.

Pretty much all other aspects have been fantastic, so it's still been entertaining, which for some people is enough.

The only episode so far that I honestly haven't enjoyed watching was 4.
Yeah I agree
EP4 had three things I hated:
Euron ship attack/dragon falling
Brienne crying
Jon not saying goodbye to ghost

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I suppose watching this she did have a few reasons to go crazy, I’m just not happy with how they got there.

I was clapping along by the end.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Despite not being a total fan of this season, I actually think it's better than the previous two? At least actual stuff happens. I suppose it doesn't help how predictable it's been.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I suppose watching this she did have a few reasons to go crazy, I’m just not happy with how they got there.

We've discussed this. MadMike pretty much posted that video in meme form. I'd reply with that video with the below:

None of the people in that list are innocent though from memory?

I mean her brother 100% wasn't innocent, using that as a starter for a debate is hilarious. He used her as a resource to get an army, beat her and looked at her as some kind of sexual trophy.

Xaro Xhoan Daxos is the guy that arranged to have her dragons stolen by the creepy warlocks and the servant of Daenerys who was meant to be one of her friends who betrayed her. How exactly are either innocent? What were they expecting?

Crucifying the masters, I think that's probably the worst thing she's done. Granted some of those people deserved death, but she didn't judge them case by case. She made the error of tarring all of them with the same brush.

Burns people time and time again. She burns her enemies but they were always soldiers. The only person she's burnt that wasn't a soldier was that slaver back in Season 5 and Varys in this episode. Two people, 1 of which in Varys seems to have betrayed her. A justified kill. So it's basically the slaver that seems like an over reactional kill. I know people are quick to jump on the "she burned the Tarlys!!" Rewatch the scene, it was suggested they bend the knee, they didn't. It was suggested they go to the Nights Watch and Lord dickface said he wouldn't. They are at war, he's a military leader whos disobeying her.

I think the problem people seem to have is her method of execution.
It'd be like posting a video of all the people Jon Snow kills and be like "he's an Evil character guys look!"

Sylar

One thing about episode 4 is that they made it obvious dany wanted to destroy KL and make people suffer

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Despite not being a total fan of this season, I actually think it's better than the previous two? At least actual stuff happens. I suppose it doesn't help how predictable it's been.
Season 6 beats it purely because of the Battle of the Bastards.

That was so good.

Sylar

Season 6 beats it purely because of the Battle of the Bastards.

That was so good.
Hold the door episode was great too
As was the finale - the whole trial scene to the wildfire going off was brilliance with fantastic music playing

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

Say what you want about the validity of Dany's madness and the writing surrounding it but I got chills during that scene of her on the dragon with the bells. It was brilliant acting.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It'd be like posting a video of all the people Jon Snow kills and be like "he's an Evil character guys look!"
Aye. Jon Snow killed a kid, but he's not mad nor are there any signs of him going mad. He did a horrible thing but he did it because it was justice.

Daenerys has done horrible things but she's done them to people who committed atrocities (slavery, plotted against her etc) and not simply for the sake of it. All of her decisions have been justifiable as someone who is in her position.

Heck, even Ned Stark chopped off a terrified guys head because he deserted the Night's Watch, but I doubt he was a bad day away from melting civilians just for happening to be there.

Like I've said before, Daenerys actively aiming to pick off fleeing civilians was OTT and clearly was done for shock value, it made little sense at all. Had she melted the Red Keep and caused thousands of deaths as a result it would still have been an atrocity and made sense (we could have had her still trying to justify it next episode) whilst remaining believable to her character. At no point has she deliberately slaughtered completely innocent lives (literally just refugees) out of completely misplaced revenge.

She had the source of everything which had hurt her (Cersei) waiting in the Red Keep but decided to stop to burn peasants. Why? It's not even like it hurts Cersei who she knows does not care about the common people.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Hold the door episode was great too
As was the finale - the whole trial scene to the wildfire going off was brilliance with fantastic music playing
I totally forgot wildfire was season 6. True that was well done. A little disappointing how house tyrell ended but even so, good episode. Season 7 was the worst then. Plot holes all over the place.

Honestly ever since Danaery's took main stage stuff has gone downhill. Still I think the last episode wasn't that bad (or I'm more used to the plot holes)

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Aye. Jon Snow killed a kid, but he's not mad nor are there any signs of him going mad. He did a horrible thing but he did it because it was justice.

Daenerys has done horrible things but she's done them to people who committed atrocities (slavery, plotted against her etc) and not simply for the sake of it. All of her decisions have been justifiable as someone who is in her position.

Heck, even Ned Stark chopped off a terrified guys head because he deserted the Night's Watch, but I doubt he was a bad day away from melting civilians just for happening to be there.

Like I've said before, Daenerys actively aiming to pick off fleeing civilians was OTT and clearly was done for shock value, it made little sense at all. Had she melted the Red Keep and caused thousands of deaths as a result it would still have been an atrocity and made sense (we could have had her still trying to justify it next episode) whilst remaining believable to her character. At no point has she deliberately slaughtered completely innocent lives (literally just refugees) out of completely misplaced revenge.

She had the source of everything which had hurt her (Cersei) waiting in the Red Keep but decided to stop to burn peasants. Why? It's not even like it hurts Cersei who she knows does not care about the common people.
I was wondering the same. If all that destruction happened while she was trying to get to Cersi it would have made more sense. The only reason I think it played out that way is maybe Daenerys wanted her to see what she caused but like you said Cersei is a cold bitch and doesn't really care about the people. She does care about the Red Keep though.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I was wondering the same. If all that destruction happened while she was trying to get to Cersi it would have made more sense. The only reason I think it played out that way is maybe Daenerys wanted her to see what she caused but like you said Cersei is a cold bitch and doesn't really care about the people. She does care about the Red Keep though.
It was silly and again, purely for shock value and to set her up nicely as a proper villain for the last episode.

Cersei was the source of all her woes. She executed Missandei, she killed the dragon etc, Dany should have been making a mad beeline for the Red Keep and destroying anything that got in her way.

Not making pointless 'O M G look how mental she is killing all these women and kids! #madqween' detours.

Vernon Philander

It was silly and again, purely for shock value and to set her up nicely as a proper villain for the last episode.

Cersei was the source of all her woes. She executed Missandei, she killed the dragon etc, Dany should have been making a mad beeline for the Red Keep and destroying anything that got in her way.

Not making pointless 'O M G look how mental she is killing all these women and kids! #madqween' detours.
This is the part that most got me. Why even risk Cersei escaping by wasting time burning ordinary people

justboy68

Obviously people are just voicing their displeasure, they don't actually expect it to get remade. In that regard it is getting good publicity. The thought of those two hacks writing the next Star Wars trilogy is deeply concerning. Star Wars is already in its own mess after the terrible last film.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Obviously people are just voicing their displeasure, they don't actually expect it to get remade. In that regard it is getting good publicity. The thought of those two hacks writing the next Star Wars trilogy is deeply concerning. Star Wars is already in its own mess after the terrible last film.
Yeah, it's a bit mental but just goes to show the sense of disappointment with this season. In fact I'm surprised at how many people have genuinely liked this season and are stuanchly defensive about the quality of the writing. I think it's also to do with the cinematics and presentation. At this point, there are those who are impressed by the spectacle of it all (like my brother!), whereas many of us hold this series to a higer standard. If GoT was a Marvel MCU or general Hollywood blockbuster standard throughout there wouldn't be this reaction. It's the fact that there was so much potential, and that it genuinely was brilliant for the early seasons that the decline into disappointing and now, at times, genuinely poor, leaves a stronger impression.

And I do believe it's now become very average. The writing, the character development, the realism, the believability is just nothing of note. I'll obviously watch the last episode as I want to know what happens. But as some critics have alluded, because of the way they've handled things, nothing really seems to have a weight anymore.

Sylar

Rating the last two seasons depends on how you do it imo
If you rate it Vs the earlier seasons it's not as good which I agree with
If you rate it Vs season 5 it's still better (season 5 was ok but just a big fat slog to get through until we get to hardhome)

These last two seasons have defo been rushed which means it's progressed way too quickly from a to d instead of a to b to c to then d.

If you compare these last two seasons to most nearly everything on TV or netflix it's really really above average imo. It's still a fantastic spectacle and some of the story is still good. Not everything is nonsense like euron. In a show with a magic element I don't get why they didn't just say he's found a way to hide himself whilst at sea manipulating water and fog or some shit. Anyway..

I do think this show has defo raised battle expectations (will take a long time for it to be matched on TV).

Given they worked their way backwards I'm expecting a good finale. I just hope it delivers something satisfying and doesn't end with everybody saying "that's it?"

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
You're obsessed Bruv!
I can stop anytime I want, hmkay
73, mostly got the questions about actors and other series wrong - GoT related was fine.

About the wrong answer though:

Olenna Tyrell instead of Littlefinger who plotted to murder Joffrey? I guess they did it together but I got that one wrong.
Yeah, that's another one actually. I went with her "Tell Cersei it was me" scene, but Littlefinger was of course involved and probably the instigator.

The other one is the number of kings Varys served, which I got 'wrong' because I counted Daenerys among that number.

Fingeredmouse

73, mostly got the questions about actors and other series wrong - GoT related was fine.

About the wrong answer though:

Olenna Tyrell instead of Littlefinger who plotted to murder Joffrey? I guess they did it together but I got that one wrong.
Varys serving 4 kings and queens rather than 5 got me due to my considering Dany queen.

diarm

Got 72 and definitely agree with that
Joffrey death mastermind
question being wrong.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I got the Geoffrey plotter wrong even though I already read about other people getting it wrong on here.

Fecking Littlefinger.

fallengt

That petition is at 572,000 signatures now, for feck sake.
A "strong woman" can't do no wrong is all it takes. Jesus these people.
I remember media calling Star Wars' fans "entitled" during The Last Jedi' backlash. Where are these journalists now :houllier:? Oh right, they won't dare.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Jaime's ending was fine for me. Went back to the speech he made about how he wanted to die when asked by Bronn.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
A "strong woman" can't do no wrong is all it takes. Jesus these people.
I remember media calling Star Wars' fans "entitled" during The Last Jedi' backlash. Where are these journalists now :houllier:? Oh right, they won't dare.
Don’t get me wrong, the petition is stupid. I think what you’re saying is a false equivalence though, a lot of the Star Wars backlash was grounded in misogyny (and to be fair it was a bit shit, but then I’ve never enjoyed Star Wars anyway). Whereas I think a lot of the criticism of GOT is because it’s been crap. I have no doubt there’s plenty of misogynistic complaints regarding Arya and shite too, but most people I’ve spoken too are just disappointed with the quality.