Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The problem with the show's final seasons and endings is that it's renders nearly every characters devleopment and the plot pointless.

In the end nothing game came of the great mystery as to who Jon's mother was and that he was Rhaegars son and therefore has the best claim to the throne. He's just sent back to the night's watch.

Tyrion who's main quality is being smart becomes dumber and dumber and a awful hand to the queen and an awful hand to Bran fx by making Bronn master of coin.

Dany's who entire journey to rule has always had the principle of sparing the innocent and while being ruthless to the evil. In the span of one episode she becomes Satan because mysunday died and Jon didn't want to screw his auntie, because it's weird. She could literally screw anyone else she liked like she used to do if she was horny.

Jaime goes on a redemption on arc when he meets up with brianne and he reveals that what he is mocked for, the reason why he's called Kingslayer, is because it was an action that saved the population of an entire city. In his final episode he goes back on that and proclaims he doesn't care about innocent people. And he goes back to Cersei despite her trying to have him murdered.

Varys, the spider, the master of whispers, commits treason in open dayligt.

The real threat to all of humanity, the white walkers are defeated in one episode.

Arya retains her goodness and innocence despite murdering hundreds of people and taking pleasure in her revenge.

They try to depict Sansa as a master player of the game, by having Arya say "She's the smartest person i've ever met". Sansa never really became super smart just because she called in a favour from Littlefinger.

Jon mostly ends up coming off as a freaking idiot in the final seasons.

Brann becomes king because "he has the best story". Despite being omniscience he spends most of the time turning his eyes white and while watching Sansa being raped in the memories of the world.

Cersei more and more just becomes Lex luther and her closest bodyguard is a zombie.

Greyworm justs fecks off when tyrion the prisoner elects a new king and Jon who murdered dany is sent back to the nights watch.

Gehrman

It's the letter that starts everything in motion right?

The one that Littlefinger convinces crazy lady Lysa to write and send to her sister Catelyn Stark. The one which she states the Lannisters poisoned Jon Arryn. As that provides the Starks with a crumb of proof to begin to suspect the Lannisters.

The assassination attempt on Bran was just another notch on the belt.
Littlefinger claimed it was his dagger that he lost to Tyrion, but it was in fact Joffery's. He said excatly so Catelyn would do something like taking Tyrion captive.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Littlefinger claimed it was his dagger that he lost to Tyrion, but it was in fact Joffery's. He excatly so Catelyn would do something like taking Tyrion captive.
The problem is that all of this talk is based on what Littlefinger claims right and we know he's a serial liar. The show made it ambigious, we never truly know who owned the dagger. Bran hints that it was someone with great wealth (the scene where he finally meets Arya again). But we never get it confirmed. But riddle me this... how would Littlefinger get hold of such a prized asset in the first place? More importantly, why would he then risk losing it in a bet? That in itself doesn't make sense to me. He's not from a big wealthy house that could wave away such a loss. So either he lied and he never had possession of it in the first place, or he lied and he never lost it in a bet.

I don't really see a motive in Joffrey doing sending an assassin up to kill Bran. It makes no sense to me. The people with motives to kill Bran would be Jaime and Cersei to cover up their sexy time in the tower, along with Littlefinger himself to ramp up the plot he's been so careful to create.

Gehrman

Littlefinger claimed it was his dagger that he lost to Tyrion, but it was in fact Joffery's. He said excatly so Catelyn would do something like taking Tyrion captive.

The problem is that all of this talk is based on what Littlefinger claims right and we know he's a serial liar. The show made it ambigious, we never truly know who owned the dagger. Bran hints that it was someone with great wealth (the scene where he finally meets Arya again). But we never get it confirmed. But riddle me this... how would Littlefinger get hold of such a prized asset in the first place? More importantly, why would he then risk losing it in a bet? That in itself doesn't make sense to me. He's not from a big wealthy house that could wave away such a loss. So either he lied and he never had possession of it in the first place, or he lied and he never lost it in a bet.

I don't really see a motive in Joffrey doing sending an assassin up to kill Bran. It makes no sense to me. The people with motives to kill Bran would be Jaime and Cersei to cover up their sexy time in the tower, along with Littlefinger himself to ramp up the plot he's been so careful to create.
Littlefinger was easily wealthy enough to lose a valyerian dagger. But the point is, he never owned it. He just told a flat out lie.
It's confirmed in the books that it was Joffery. He apparently had a spat with Brann when they visited winterfell and wanted to put him out of his misery after his fall. Littlefinger lied about it being his and losing it to Tyrion.

Edit: You're right, going by the tv show, it's most plausible Littlefinger.

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I thought it was Robert’s knife and Joffrey stole it to give the catspaw because he thought the murder would please Robert?

Revan

Assumptionman
The last season was shit (except the battle of Winterfell which has some really great moment, though a lot of mediocrity too). However, I still enjoyed years of watching, discussing and thinking about what is gonna happen. So many awesome and epic moments, with the best music in any TV show.

I am probably gonna rewatch it in a year or two (last time I did it was in the summer of 2018). Sure, the destination was meh, but the journey was great.

AaronRedDevil

Honestly never seen anything like it when it ended. Even now, people don’t want to even acknowledge it, talk about it, even wear clothes with GOT on it. Hell myself I was excited, waiting for the show to end so that I could buy the box set and put it next to the GOT box set of books that I have. Now I don’t even want to buy it. It’s just too damn painful. Nothing made a lick of sense in S8. It turned Everything upside down and did nothing the fans even half expected. Jon never even fought the Night King after they have stared each other down twice! Even more painful that the first 2 episodes of S8 were perfect and brilliantly set up for epicness.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Honestly never seen anything like it when it ended. Even now, people don’t want to even acknowledge it, talk about it, even wear clothes with GOT on it. Hell myself I was excited, waiting for the show to end so that I could buy the box set and put it next to the GOT box set of books that I have. Now I don’t even want to buy it. It’s just too damn painful. Nothing made a lick of sense in S8. It turned Everything upside down and did nothing the fans even half expected. Jon never even fought the Night King after they have stared each other down twice! Even more painful that the first 2 episodes of S8 were perfect and brilliantly set up for epicness.
D&D confused "subverting expectations" and "actions having cause and effect" because they're fecking idiots.

They fooled millions into believing their tracing papered masterpieces were their own work, until they ran out of things to copy and started drawing toddler quality dinosaurs.

AaronRedDevil

D&D confused "subverting expectations" and "actions having cause and effect" because they're fecking idiots.

They fooled millions into believing their tracing papered masterpieces were their own work, until they ran out of things to copy and started drawing toddler quality dinosaurs.
It’s even more strange since this should have been such a easy season to direct. 2 big battles and a standard ending. Couldn’t even do that.

Art Vandelay

It's part of what happens when you adapt something the quality of which is absurdly high, then you either are forced to or choose to start writing your own stuff. It will be compared to quality of what you were adapting and if it falls short people will notice. Although GoT got away with it for a while where people seemed to be in a sort of weird denial that the quality of the writing was getting worse and worse. Then you had absolute weirdos aggressively defending it right up until the end.

I think it will be a phenomenon that will happen again and again now as Hollywood is creatively bankrupt, they will keep rehashing and adapting things then trying to put new spins on them that don't work until they drive people away then move on to the next project. The same with the gaming industry, they will keep remaking things from the 90's to the 2010s for the next decade or two and fall into the same trap through sheer hubris.

Sylar

It's part of what happens when you adapt something the quality of which is absurdly high, then you either are forced to or choose to start writing your own stuff. It will be compared to quality of what you were adapting and if it falls short people will notice. Although GoT got away with it for a while where people seemed to be in a sort of weird denial that the quality of the writing was getting worse and worse. Then you had absolute weirdos aggressively defending it right up until the end.

I think it will be a phenomenon that will happen again and again now as Hollywood is creatively bankrupt, they will keep rehashing and adapting things then trying to put new spins on them that don't work until they drive people away then move on to the next project. The same with the gaming industry, they will keep remaking things from the 90's to the 2010s for the next decade or two and fall into the same trap through sheer hubris.
Well nearly everything is either an adaptation, reboot, a remake from a different country or a sequel / prequel. So yeah, youre right.

With regards to the denial part, I kinda fall into that. I knew there was stupid stuff from previous season (but that still seemed to be less than the good stuff so yeah, they defo got away with it). But in s7, the characters going out to get a wight, and the way they came up with the idea, who just mind boggling. It created a cool visual with a dragon going down and being turned, but it was a mess. However, again they got away with it, due to the fact that I (and many others) were still looking towards the big battles. I somewhat foolishly thought, 'ok theyve rushed a few things to get to a point in the story, and now they can deliver a great ending and not have to rush that'. But then what they delivered just soured everything.

arnie_ni

So just finished season 2 again and in the final episode it all foreshadowed the throne room being burnt to the ground.

They obviously planned for dany to go mad and burn it all down they just rushed getting there.

Id forgotten how bad she was at the start, she threatens to burn everyone and everything quite often so she was just returning to her old ways.

b82REZ

The final season of GoT tarnishes the series massively, moreso than say The Wire which had a weaker final season compared to the others but didn't completely shit the bed and make the rest of the series seem bad by osmosis.

GoT is the only show I can think of where I havent rewatched it in its entirety because of how bad the ending was. I even gave LOST a second chance.

If we ever get the last two books I'll likely look back on this series with fond memories as some fan fiction that filled the gap between books.

arnie_ni

So just finished season 2 again and in the final episode it all foreshadowed the throne room being burnt to the ground.

They obviously planned for dany to go mad and burn it all down they just rushed getting there.

Id forgotten how bad she was at the start, she threatens to burn everyone and everything quite often so she was just returning to her old ways.
Season 4 episode 2 bran saw into the future and a dragon was flying over kings landing.

Reitering they done what they wanted they just rushed getting there, there wasnt a last minute change of mind

Sylar

Season 4 episode 2 bran saw into the future and a dragon was flying over kings landing.

Reitering they done what they wanted they just rushed getting there, there wasnt a last minute change of mind
I think most people accept this. The rush job for me is the most annoying thing
They could have ended up in the same place without characters being dumbed down

SuperiorXI

There was also the flash forward stuff in season 2 where the mad Queen seen kings landing all burnt down to feck.

The whole thing seems like they really just couldn't be arsed towards the end.

arnie_ni

Awh i thought there was a bit of annoyance at the actual sequence of events as much as the hurry to get there.

arnie_ni

Did grrm kill tywin of in the books?

Would have liked to have seen him in it longer

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Did grrm kill tywin of in the books?

Would have liked to have seen him in it longer
in the books Tyrion shoots him in the guts with the crossbow and they spill out. When the Lannister guards find him they comment on how much it stinks of shit. So, a tad more gruesome.

He also gets more to do in the show, in the books he's kind of...well...shite

2cents

Scout
in the books Tyrion shoots him in the guts with the crossbow and they spill out. When the Lannister guards find him they comment on how much it stinks of shit. So, a tad more gruesome.

He also gets more to do in the show, in the books he's kind of...well...shite
There’s also a plausible theory that Oberyn poisoned Tywin

2cents

Scout
Same question for oberyn? Maybe its just pedro pascal but i would have liked him to hang around a bit longer
Nah he comes and goes in much the same way. He doesn’t feature in many chapters in Storm of Swords but he’s every bit as memorable as on the show. However the books being the books, we learn a lot more about Oberyn’s backstory which is very interesting.

arnie_ni

Nah he comes and goes in much the same way. He doesn’t feature in many chapters in Storm of Swords but he’s every bit as memorable as on the show. However the books being the books, we learn a lot more about Oberyn’s backstory which is very interesting.
The cockiness in the trial by combat is part of his character but it would have been interesting to see him win and continue his story at Tyrions side.

Must read the books after my re watch

Sylar

Oberyn got what he deserved. Consequences for his actions

Awh i thought there was a bit of annoyance at the actual sequence of events as much as the hurry to get there.
Some of the sequences were defo terrible. The way little finger went out
The way dany lost her second dragon despite being in the air and kinda forgetting about an army she's going to scout
The way varys did everything he's never done
Things like that.

I accept that some of the stuff needed to happen or was the intention but the way they worked to it just made no sense and needed more time to breath or just better plotting

arnie_ni

In season 5 ep 5 bronn asked Jamie how he wants to die and he said in the arms of the woman he loves.

Might lead to them planning the Cersei Jamie death all long which makes it even more stupid

Sylar

In season 5 ep 5 bronn asked Jamie how he wants to die and he said in the arms of the woman he loves.

Might lead to them planning the Cersei Jamie death all long which makes it even more stupid
They also asked Tyrion how he wanted to die, and his answer was always the same, but they didnt plan that...

arnie_ni

The episode they go north looking for a dead man is stupid. The timing of it ie the raven getting to dany and her getting there in a few hours, how jon survived, why didnt benjen go with him?

Possibly the worst done episode of the whole show

Irwin99

The episode they go north looking for a dead man is stupid. The timing of it ie the raven getting to dany and her getting there in a few hours, how jon survived, why didnt benjen go with him?

That's up against some pretty stiff competition in season 8

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

There was no time for that.

Art Vandelay

Trying to capture a dead man to prove to prove to the woman with a giant dead man beside her that there are dead men walking around in the north was a phenomenal plan.