Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
..... Cersei begins to talk about the future. A second chance with their new baby. About getting revenge. She lays it all out in great sadistic detail with a far away look in her eye. Her eyes go wide as she feels the blade glide across her throat. She gurgles and spurts blood as she turns her head to look at Jamie. Her expression asks why, jamie tells her. “For my brother, for my mother, and for my father, Ned Stark.” And then plunges the dagger into Cersei’s heart.
I would have loved that.

DoctorEvil

Here's Martin writing yesterday:

How will it all end? I hear people asking. The same ending as the show? Different?

Well… yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes.

I am working in a very different medium than David and Dan, never forget. They had six hours for this final season. I expect these last two books of mine will fill 3000 manuscript pages between them before I’m done… and if more pages and chapters and scenes are needed, I’ll add them. And of course the butterfly effect will be at work as well; those of you who follow this Not A Blog will know that I’ve been talking about that since season one. There are characters who never made it onto the screen at all, and others who died in the show but still live in the books… so if nothing else, the readers will learn what happened to...
Jeyne Poole, Lady Stoneheart, Penny and her pig, Skahaz Shavepate, Arianne Martell, Darkstar, Victarion Greyjoy, Ser Garlan the Gallant, Aegon VI, and a myriad of other characters both great and small that viewers of the show never had the chance to meet. And yes, there will be unicorns… of a sort…

The main plotlines in the books will be like in the show, but the books (if ever finished) will do a much better work at making the story plausible.

Here is one example, Jon Snow is clearly Azor Azahi. And indeed he saves the world by killing the woman he loves. That fits the prophecy, except that we all assumed that the thing he saves the world from is the wight walkers. Instead, it is from his aunt/girlfriend who is convinced that her destiny is to conquer the world. This is clearly planned by GRRM, with hints and misdirections planted troughout the books.

Reddy Rederson

I know of her. Did she say anything antisemetic? :eek:
Yes, yes she did. Quite a lot in fact. The one that sticks out in my mind I cant type out here because its a rape joke. If she had tweeted it instead of it being part of her stand up Id imagine shed get crucified in todays uber PC culture.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They did this with Euron and the Sand Snakes and they were absolutely terrible. If the Dorne and Iron Islands plots hadn’t been so unpopular (and badly written) maybe you could’ve got a few more decent seasons out of the show but having only a few remaining plots and characters, you’d have to really drag them out to make the 9-10 seasons worthwhile.
Always felt Ned's death left a vaccum in the show and that hasn't changed for me. The two main ones - Jon and Dany - were never as alluring and interesting enough to me. Post Ned (and Robert), it was Rob, Jon, Arya, Sansa, Cersie and Dany - so felt a little weak. The impact and poignancy of the lead character dying was terrific but in terms of the mantle being carried forward I feel it hurt the show.

Although most people like Jon, maybe he could have been cast better ? Or written as a more interesting person?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Always felt Ned's death left a vaccum in the show and that hasn't changed for me. The two main ones - Jon and Dany - were never as alluring and interesting enough to me. Post Ned (and Robert), it was Rob, Jon, Arya, Sansa, Cersie and Dany - so felt a little weak. The impact and poignancy of the lead character dying was terrific but in terms of the mantle being carried forward I feel it hurt the show.

Although most people like Jon, maybe he could have been cast better ? Or written as a more interesting person?
I think the problem is that Jon ultimately became a bit of a boring character bleating the same lines over and over after he was was resurrected.

He was much more fun when he wasn't a leader and was given far better material. He also had good chemistry with the actors who played Mance and Jeor.

Sylar

I think the problem is that Jon ultimately became a bit of a boring character bleating the same lines over and over after he was was resurrected.

He was much more fun when he wasn't a leader and was given far better material. He also had good chemistry with the actors who played Mance and Jeor.

Jons stuff with Alliser was good too. (and with Ygritte). I agree his stuff and lines fter resurrection wasnt great.

Zen86

It’s because really the NK is a boring character. He can’t speak. He doesn’t offer any personality.

They needed to get past him.
I actually liked the way they portrayed him. His lack of emotion (mostly) and fleeting appearances added to the intrigue and suspense for me.

However, the battle was just too easy in the end. There were very few, if any major character losses, certainly none to shock or really hit the audience. And the fact the northern and Dany’s armies seemingly respawned for the march on KL only adds to this.

I enjoyed the general cinematography of the NK battle, and some of the scenes I thought were excellent, but the whole thing has been portrayed almost as an inconvenience / warm up battle. It’s frustrating considering they had been building this up for years, and even more so when the KL episode turned out to be pretty underwhelming in the end anyway.

Sylar

I actually liked the way they portrayed him. His lack of emotion (mostly) and fleeting appearances added to the intrigue and suspense for me.

However, the battle was just too easy in the end. There were very few, if any major character losses, certainly none to shock or really hit the audience. And the fact the northern and Dany’s armies seemingly respawned for the march on KL only adds to this.

I enjoyed the general cinematography of the NK battle, and some of the scenes I thought were excellent, but the whole thing has been portrayed almost as an inconvenience / warm up battle. It’s frustrating considering they had been building this up for years, and even more so when the KL episode turned out to be pretty underwhelming in the end anyway.
After the fact, but it just seemed like a way to seemingly even the odds between Dany and Cersei, even though Dany still annihilated her.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

That’s a good point actually... why have any of the Dothraki still alive after the white walker battle? Just have this massive army all die.

This would have meant her assault on Kings Landing could have been justified. She could have sent in her Unsullied and it be an equal battle. Sensing that she would struggle and might not get her rightful crown she burns everyone to a crisp.

Surely that makes a lot more sense from a storytelling perspective? Adds credence to the threat of the Night king and then makes Dany’s turn more acceptable.

Zen86

After the fact, but it just seemed like a way to seemingly even the odds between Dany and Cersei, even though Dany still annihilated her.
The northern armies should have been absolutely decimated, and yeah, for all the talk of scorpions, eurons great fleets, the golden company etc, enter the overpowered dragon for a complete anticlimax

arnie_ni

So im guessing the reason brienne Sam gendry, smaller main characters, weren't killed in the nk battle was because they wanted them to be on the new council as the last of their house?

Zen86

That’s a good point actually... why have any of the Dothraki still alive after the white walker battle? Just have this massive army all die.

This would have meant her assault on Kings Landing could have been justified. She could have sent in her Unsullied and it be an equal battle. Sensing that she would struggle and might not get her rightful crown she burns everyone to a crisp.

Surely that makes a lot more sense from a storytelling perspective? Adds credence to the threat of the Night king and then makes Dany’s turn more acceptable.
That would’ve made much more sense as would several other (or probably any other) scenarios, but they had to turn it into goodies vs baddies with Dany as the pantomime villain

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
They did this with Euron and the Sand Snakes and they were absolutely terrible. If the Dorne and Iron Islands plots hadn’t been so unpopular (and badly written) maybe you could’ve got a few more decent seasons out of the show but having only a few remaining plots and characters, you’d have to really drag them out to make the 9-10 seasons worthwhile.
True.

Why are the old new characters so much better than the new new characters?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
True.

Why are the old new characters so much better than the new new characters?
Because for some reason the writers decided to change them. Euron is not recognizable as the original character, and the Sand Snakes are caricatures. And anyway the writers left out the most interesting characters from Dorne.

Sylar

Man I was so looking forward to dorne after season 4. I blame the actor for oberyn for being so cool

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Man I was so looking forward to dorne after season 4. I blame the actor for oberyn for being so cool

Oberyn was a boss.

Imagine how fecking disappointed he would have been in his shit paramore and daughters. Yeah go ahead and kill his brother and nephew, that is really honouring his memory. Tits.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
His scenes with Tyrion were so good.
The one in the prison was fantastic acting all round, I've watched it over and over again. So good.

Shame Oberyn wasn't round for too long, he exuded charisma and every scene with him in was entertaining.

You want to see how to do small council humour well? Go watch Oberyn's council scenes. Fecking fantastic.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Why do you need to post a video for that? You've already posted about your feelings :nervous:
Because there's far more to that video than just what I've expressed in this thread and it's an interesting, rational approach to why s7/s8 felt different.

There's lots in that video I haven't mentioned and it's the best summary video I've watched about it, so why wouldn't I put it up?

Sylar

I dunno, just find it funny that a 33 min video sums up your feelings given the posts you've already placed

Have no issue with you sharing btw @SquishyMcSquish

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I dunno, just find it funny that a 33 min video sums up your feelings given the posts you've already placed

Have no issue with you sharing btw @SquishyMcSquish
Tbh he uses different examples and brings up other things I haven't even talked about. Some of the general points sums up exactly how I feel (that every element but writing was present and that D&D struggled when they had to write their own stuff) but there's some really nice focus on some scenes in particular.

It's also nice that he highlights some of the scenes from this season which were actually very good.

RochaRoja

Honestly, the show was always going to become worse the more Daenerys centric it got. After Khal Drogo died, her plots were always dull and repetitive and every character suddenly got way less interesting once they became involved with her.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Nice to see the salt being used for something good. The r/freefolk subreddit raised over £20,000 in less than 48 hours for a charity Emilia Clarke set up to help young people with brain injuries.