Other Game spoilers thread for The Last of Us TV Show - Enter at your own risk (Contains spoilers for Last of Us Parts 1 & 2)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It’s not that deep, it’s the game thread and that from where I’m standing and what I played was absolute filler content for a tv audience.

Literally a random guy came out of a hole played the piano ate a 5 star meal in the middle of apocalypse then they lived happily ever after until the turn at the end.

Its nothing of the sort of world class writing
If you want to be reductive you can make anything sound like that.

"Literally they went in the woods and a guy ran away and they couldn't find him" - Pine Barrens.

I'm not saying it was the greatest episode of television or the best writing of all time. But it's not filler and it's a lazy way to describe something that you personally didn't like.

laughtersassassin

Considering Bill was already gay in the game it only made sense to actually flesh out his character in the show.

Was done brilliantly.

Revan

Assumptionman
Absolute filler that last episode, was like the bee episode from Breaking bad.

Worst episode so far but there’s always a lull.
Yep, felt a bit like the fly episode in that show. Which was weird to have it in the third episode of the show.

Thought that the episode was done nice (except Bill being in the open while shooting), and had a really strong conclusion. But at the same time, I agree that it did not do anything for the overall story, or for the characters of Joel and Ellie. It was all about two characters that were not in other episodes, and will not be in the other episodes. It can genuinely get skipped without changing anything to the main story.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yep, felt a bit like the fly episode in that show. Which was weird to have it in the third episode of the show.

Thought that the episode was done nice (except Bill being in the open while shooting), and had a really strong conclusion. But at the same time, I agree that it did not do anything for the overall story, or for the characters of Joel and Ellie. It was all about two characters that were not in other episodes, and will not be in the other episodes. It can genuinely get skipped without changing anything to the main story.
Do you not think it massively helped the impact of Joel reading that note? He's already technically 'failed' two people he was supposed to protect in Sarah and Tess. He's now reluctantly got a third person he is tasked with looking after and he's clearly rejecting that role at the moment. He's choosing to be distant.

Him and Bill are quite similar, and Bill saying to him in the note that it's their job to look after people and to embrace love and not hide from it out of fear of being hurt. It sets Joel back on the path and reminds him he's got this third chance to protect someone and do what Tess asked of him in her last moments. It gives him purpose.

If they just wander in the house and find that note there's none of that impact because the viewer wouldn't have a clue why it hits Joel like that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Nah. The plan is for Season 2 and 3 can and will stick to the game Part 2. That's what the creators said. And I'm happy with that.

They'll flesh it out in certain areas and make changes but keep the same major story beats and key moments as they are doing with Season 1.

Yes the structure im sure they'll rejig as the copying the games Part 2 structure won't work as a TV show.

They'll jump perspectives from one episode to the next is my guess. That'll work well and has been done in lots of shows.
My slight concern is that, for me at least, the themes of the first game (Road journey/man finds new meaning in life etc) is wholly more interesting then that of the second game (Vengence is a cycle, Vengence BAD) which is a bit overdone at this point.

If it focuses more on the idea that good people can be bad/bad people can be good it might be more interesting - but it would have to be handled a lot more smartly then it is in TLOU2.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It was nothing like Fly which was actually the definition of filler episode. It added nothing to the plot and Gilligan himself said it was only put in there because they had no budget. Still turned out to be a good episode, nonetheless.

Revan

Assumptionman
Do you not think it massively helped the impact of Joel reading that note? He's already technically 'failed' two people he was supposed to protect in Sarah and Tess. He's now reluctantly got a third person he is tasked with looking after and he's clearly rejecting that role at the moment. He's choosing to be distant.

Him and Bill are quite similar, and Bill saying to him in the note that it's their job to look after people and to embrace love and not hide from it out of fear of being hurt. It sets Joel back on the path and reminds him he's got this third chance to protect someone and do what Tess asked of him in her last moments. It gives him purpose.

If they just wander in the house and find that note there's none of that impact because the viewer wouldn't have a clue why it hits Joel like that.
I don't really agree. He already kinda made that promise to Tess, and is doing so. It is not that he decided to return Ellie to QZ, but after the note, he got reminded to send her to Fireflies. He is still doing what he was going to do at the beginning of the episode, just that with a car (having finally found the battery). Also, Bill was hardly someone important for him.

Saying that, I think it was nicely done so enjoyed the episode as a mini-story on itself.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
It was nothing like Fly which was actually the definition of filler episode. It added nothing to the plot and Gilligan himself said it was only put in there because they had no budget. Still turned out to be a good episode, nonetheless.
I think its filler in the sense that if you skipped it entirely, your main question at the start of episode 4 would be "where did they get a car from?" ... and that's about it.

So yeah, filler, but still - totally worthwhile filler and did add some minor intricacies to the overall world/plot.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I loved the fly episode in BB

Also thought lasts nights episode was terrific. Beautiful side story which adds a lot to the world. People just like to moan and have this constant need for full steam ahead story being thrown at them

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Can someone explain to me where the notion of “must progress plot” comes from? Why does every episode of every Tv show need to get you one step closer to B from A? It’s especially weird as a complaint from people who play computer games where the concept of not playing the game on rails from A to B has been around for fecking ages now. If games stopped being linear a very long time ago, why do gamers get so freaked out when a Tv series does the same?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I loved the fly episode in BB

Also thought lasts nights episode was terrific. Beautiful side story which adds a lot to the world. People just like to moan and have this constant need for full steam ahead story being thrown at them
Same. I love a bottle episode (even if this wasn't that). I just like seeing great actors do their thing. I could watch an episode of The Sopranos where its literally just Tony trying to eat a whole plate of cured meat.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I think its filler in the sense that if you skipped it entirely, your main question at the start of episode 4 would be "where did they get a car from?" ... and that's about it.

So yeah, filler, but still - totally worthwhile filler and did add some minor intricacies to the overall world/plot.
Bearing in mind they spent basically all of the first two episodes obsessing about how to get a car, you could argue that finally fecking driving off in one was the most significant plot development to date!

Massive Spanner

It added a lot to Joel and Ellie's relationship (which is basically what the entire show is about) and some background on how it all started (the theory people had on the flour turned out to be right) - so I do think if you skipped it you'd be missing out.

Fly was basically nothing, didn't matter one bit.

Massive Spanner

Same. I love a bottle episode (even if this wasn't that). I just like seeing great actors do their thing. I could watch an episode of The Sopranos where its literally just Tony trying to eat a whole plate of cured meat.
:lol: he was great at eating ice cream too.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It added a lot to Joel and Ellie's relationship (which is basically what the entire show is about) and some background on how it all started (the theory people had on the flour turned out to be right) - so I do think if you skipped it you'd be missing out.

Fly was basically nothing, didn't matter one bit.
Plus the car. Let’s not gloss over the car!

RedDevilRoshi

A lot of criticism being aired on social media about this episode because it played differently to the game. I personally liked it. It delved into the history between Bill & Frank on how they met & what their relationship was like. How they knew Joel & Tess as well.

Although the only irk and it’s a minor one is I would have preferred with that episode is them not killing off Bill before he meets Ellie & Joel. I would have loved them to have implemented Bill meeting both Joel & Ellie and playing out that school scene when they are trying to kill the big infected bloater in the gym hall and also trying to push the vehicle to start whilst clickers & runners ambush them from all corners of the neighbourhood.

Other than that, another fantastic episode.

Massive Spanner

Plus the car. Let’s not gloss over the car!
Wait, have you played the game?

Anyway, yeah the car. If someone skipped the episode they'd definitely be going "wait, what, how'd they get a fecking car in the apocalypse?"

Also, unbelievably pedantic, but it is funny how every apocalypse show ignores the fact that petrol expires after about a year and can't be used.

laughtersassassin

My slight concern is that, for me at least, the themes of the first game (Road journey/man finds new meaning in life etc) is wholly more interesting then that of the second game (Vengence is a cycle, Vengence BAD) which is a bit overdone at this point.

If it focuses more on the idea that good people can be bad/bad people can be good it might be more interesting - but it would have to be handled a lot more smartly then it is in TLOU2.
I wholeheartedly disagree.

jungledrums

Weird metric. What about the intangibles like character development? Or is it only progression when someone has a new car/gun/outfit?

It’s not a filler episode, particularly not in the clearly disparaging way you’re using the term filler

Eriku

If you want to be reductive you can make anything sound like that.

"Literally they went in the woods and a guy ran away and they couldn't find him" - Pine Barrens.

I'm not saying it was the greatest episode of television or the best writing of all time. But it's not filler and it's a lazy way to describe something that you personally didn't like.
Right? That summary to me is tantamount to saying a string quartet is just four dudes rubbing bits of string attached to bits of wood.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Bearing in mind they spent basically all of the first two episodes obsessing about how to get a car, you could argue that finally fecking driving off in one was the most significant plot development to date!
Ha! Fair!

Weird metric. What about the intangibles like character development? Or is it only progression when someone has a new car/gun/outfit?

It’s not a filler episode, particularly not in the clearly disparaging way you’re using the term filler
Character development was pretty minimal - obviously it was there a bit at the start, but the maint thrust of the episode was quite clearly a character study of Bill and Frank.

Also, if "totally worthwile filler" is disparaging, I'm struggling to work out what complimentary would be!

CloneMC16

A lot of criticism being aired on social media about this episode because it played differently to the game. I personally liked it. It delved into the history between Bill & Frank on how they met & what their relationship was like. How they knew Joel & Tess as well.

Although the only irk and it’s a minor one is I would have preferred with that episode is them not killing off Bill before he meets Ellie & Joel. I would have loved them to have implemented Bill meeting both Joel & Ellie and playing out that school scene when they are trying to kill the big infected bloater in the gym hall and also trying to push the vehicle to start whilst clickers & runners ambush them from all corners of the neighbourhood.

Other than that, another fantastic episode.
This is exactly what I wanted. If half of the episode was dedicated to Bill and Frank's relationship, and then rest to what you said, I'd have been very happy with that.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
In the game Bill is basically just a character that provides a bit of colour to the world. Gets them from A to B and maybe is a counter to Joel in as much as he shows the player what Joel could be like if he was even less trusting. In the show the episode gets to the same conclusion by getting Joel and Ellie the car battery, but also fleshes out that Joel had know Tess for longer than 10 years AND through the letter gives Joel the motivations that come together in the end of the season. There would have been a Bill episode whether they stayed true to the game or not, this one actually adds to the story in a far bigger way than if they had just followed the source material.
A-fecking-men.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Question for the people who didn't like it? I personally adored this episode but I was thinking; would it had been better if it ended with the "he ain't even hurt" scene?

Emotionally a bit jarring after what had just happened but also ties in with the threat of raiders being close to Bill and Frank, plus ends with that song coming full circle.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

Don't forget Tommy too. Joel is on a mission to go and find/rescue/protect

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Great shows often have change-of-pace episodes like great story-based games often have long side-quests perhaps only tangentially related to the main thrust of the story.

This was like a great new DLC side-quest added to the original story.

Sylar

Im liking its not all 1:1 adaptation. That would be kinda boring and they need to add / change a few thing. This was the smallest of changes that they could have made. It doesnt affect the main characters in that sense nor where they are heading, so its a worthwhile change making.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Best chat in the office today.

Colleague - "I've not got a problem with it but why did they make Bill and Frank gay?"
Other colleague - "you're a stupid fecking knob."

Drawfull

Soooooo, I'm finally getting through 2. I did play at release up to Ellie getting the lights on in the theatre, or just after towards Hillcrest

And I am loving it a lot more than I thought I would. Dunno why I stopped, but it's obvious to guess why TLOU2 TV will be two seasons. It shoulda been two games if as it feels right now is anything to go by.

Edit. Oh, there's this much of this?

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Can someone explain to me where the notion of “must progress plot” comes from? Why does every episode of every Tv show need to get you one step closer to B from A? It’s especially weird as a complaint from people who play computer games where the concept of not playing the game on rails from A to B has been around for fecking ages now. If games stopped being linear a very long time ago, why do gamers get so freaked out when a Tv series does the same?
It doesn't need to but... if we get a rushed ending because the team got carried away on a story of 2 characters who offer little to the overarching story it will be a problem. People have been burned too many times with rushed endings. If the show sticks the landing, the episode will be great use of time, if the ending feels rushed, unplanned and like its crammed in, then people will rightly look back and point to filler stuff as being a problem.

People are conditioned to see rushed and hamfisted endings after great build up. Whether this will be good use of time or not remains to be seen. It was a great standalone episode.
For what its worth I don't think the game has enough content for 9 episodes without flashbacks (especially since it feels like 1 episode per guest actors/area etc..) so its probably going to be fine, but if it fails, this one and the Riley flashback episode will carry the can, this one in particular because the Riley one is important in a main characters back story. While this one has a minor influence on Joel and people will say could have been accomplished quicker.

I think its a case of once bitten twice shy. But like I said I think theres not enough content in the game, and with them having whatever length episodes they like its likely not gonna be a problem.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Question for the people who didn't like it? I personally adored this episode but I was thinking; would it had been better if it ended with the "he ain't even hurt" scene?

Emotionally a bit jarring after what had just happened but also ties in with the threat of raiders being close to Bill and Frank, plus ends with that song coming full circle.
I don't think so. I thought the episode was excellent as standalone tv but just it doesn't sit right. it was great (even if pointless) and I don't think people didn't like it as much as they worry about ineffective use of time, removing Bill from the modern scenes made him essentially like any extra. Or think Bill got off too light and got too watered down. Game Bill doesn't deserve the happy ending (if Franks letter is anything to go by).

I get it in a way, the show needs to lighten the load a bit, we've had a child shot in cold blood in Ep1 and Tess exploded in Ep2 and its all very depressing, so having a dude (even a pos like Bill) find out that his lost love was bitten whilst trying to get away from him and left a suicide note about how much they hate him before hanging themselves would have been even heavier and the show risked becoming too dark but we all know TLOU2 is coming and how heavy that is.

I'll also add that it feels like they are softening the characters and Bill falls into that. Joel in game was one cold violent mf, who slowly came out of it as he journeyed with Ellie. We've seen far less of that in the show, same with Tess. They talk about how "we're not good people" but we don't actually see it. It feels like we've got diluted (to an extent) characters.

Things like Joel breaking Roberts arm without a second thought and Tess putting him down in cold blood etc.. its all adding up to the show being I dunno if softer is the right word but certainly more sympathetic. This episode was that taken I feel a little too far, great and all as it was.

Milder, thats the word I'm looking for, its a milder telling of the first game, and Bill is that taken to an extreme. That said its still wonderful and far beyond anything I could have hoped going in.

AaronRedDevil

Honeslty didn't like this episode. I'm not a fan of the changes they made regarding Bill and Frank. Felt like they didn't have the balls to do what happens to Frank. Wouldn't care if they both died but I disliked that they skipped over the whole School section which would have been great to see and the introduction of the bloater. These changes worry me now. Will they have the balls to go through with what happens to the brothers. I enjoyed seeing the other side of bill and Frank. It was a nice episode. But gutted that Bill and Joel didn't interact during the Ellie parts. I dont mind changes here and there but hate changes that flip everything that was supposed to happen. Guessing Joel is not going golfing (wink) at this point.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Felt like they didn't have the balls to do what happens to Frank.
An off screen character killing themselves after being infected? Not sure it would take much balls to do that since this was an episode where they showed that a tiny baby and their mum had been gunned down in a ditch.