Other Game spoilers thread for The Last of Us TV Show - Enter at your own risk (Contains spoilers for Last of Us Parts 1 & 2)

Drawfull

Just finished TLOU2.
Might go and read the 'are games better than TV thread'... I'm in bits, and massively conflicted and it was shit and it was amazing oh my fecking god. I've now cried at two games, heh.

AaronRedDevil

An off screen character killing themselves after being infected? Not sure it would take much balls to do that since this was an episode where they showed that a tiny baby and their mum had been gunned down in a ditch.
Meant about showing him hang himself or see him hanged. Instead of a "nice" death. We'll see now with Mike and Walt. Can't remember there names but they are identical to the others in Lost hah.

AaronRedDevil

Just finished TLOU2.
Might go and read the 'are games better than TV thread'... I'm in bits, and massively conflicted and it was shit and it was amazing oh my fecking god. I've now cried at two games, heh.
Thought it was an amazing experience. Loved the ending with Ellie and Abby tbh. I was surprised that i grew to like Abby. My only gripe with the game is the WAY he died, and I didn't get to really murder the living shit out of any of the people who were there.

Last edited:

Drawfull

Thought it was an amazing experience. Loved the ending with Ellie and Abby tbh. I was surprised that i grew to like Abby. My only gripe with the game is the WAY he died, and I didn't get to really murder the living shit out of any of the people who were there.
I love how I spoiler it, and you're just like, 'here's what happens'. :lol:

I hated and loved and hated and then loved again and so on all of the last few beats. Feck me. Again.

There were several points I sat there refusing to use the controller, put it that way.

AaronRedDevil

I love how I spoiler it, and you're just like, 'here's what happens'. :lol:

I hated and loved and hated and then loved again and so on all of the last few beats. Feck me. Again.

There were several points I sat there refusing to use the controller, put it that way.
Well I was vague. :lol:. Plus the title pretty much warns people. Spoilered it now. Yeah it was an emotional roller coaster.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The interaction between A & E was fantastic, especially when you consider that the VA's for both characters are (and have been) good friends in real life and have ongoing TV shows and streaming projects.

AaronRedDevil

The interaction between A & E was fantastic, especially when you consider that the VA's for both characters are (and have been) good friends in real life and have ongoing TV shows and streaming projects.
Yes you were sorry, it was fresh in my mind when I read it so it filled in the blanks.
That moment when you are Abby fighting Ellie and she starts using what you taught her against you. Never been more proud, terrified and annoyed she was kicking my ass :lol:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I imagine they'll make Joel's death more palatable, and at the very least build up to it a little more. I took an immediate dislike to Abby when she swung the club and it took a very long time into her playthrough to start feeling sympathy for her. I feel that it was because of her coldness at the start of the game - absolutely no wavering on her part, she just seemed like a psycho.

Drawfull

I imagine they'll make Joel's death more palatable, and at the very least build up to it a little more. I took an immediate dislike to Abby when she swung the club and it took a very long time into her playthrough to start feeling sympathy for her. I feel that it was because of her coldness at the start of the game - absolutely no wavering on her part, she just seemed like a psycho.
I posted when I first got her, then edited a few hours later having softened with the effect of I fecking hated her immediately, but ended up in an absolute bind. It's masterful (game) writing. I don't know of anything else where they make you root for both antagonist and protagonist so well

AaronRedDevil

Yeah I was the same but I grew to like her. Wanted Ellie to murder her every chance she got hah. The death just felt very...stupid. These 2 brothers dont trust anybody and have survived for so long with that rule. Yet here's Tommy telling them all where they are and there real names. Plus loads of people are called Joel. How tf do you know if you the right one? :lol:. It felt too quick. The youtuber Critical Drinker gave a brilliant run-down on how it should have went and it honestly sounds so much better and heartbreaking.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think so and I hope so. I can even deal with the brutality of Joels death if the build up is right. I feel so much of the hate for Abby (outside the lunatics) comes from the fact Joel saved her life and she still never wavered in how slowly she wanted to kill him. It was just all in all a really strange build up to it.

Amarsdd

I think so and I hope so. I can even deal with the brutality of Joels death if the build up is right. I feel so much of the hate for Abby (outside the lunatics) comes from the fact Joel saved her life and she still never wavered in how slowly she wanted to kill him. It was just all in all a really strange build up to it.
kinda the point of the story, isn't it? Both main characters blinded by revenge.

padr81

Supports
Man City
kinda the point of the story, isn't it? Both main characters blinded by revenge.
100%, but when you abandon logic and change characters to get to that revenge it becomes for me immersion breaking.

Amarsdd

100%, but when you abandon logic and change characters to get to that revenge it becomes for me immersion breaking.
I still don't understand this pov if you mean Joel and Tommy trusting a stranger when Abby was in trouble? You are just thinking of Joel and Tommy from the first game and the kind of society they were living in. Whereas this is Joel and Tommy who had been living in a lot more calmer society which had traders/travellers coming and going for a few years.

macheda14

Yeah I was the same but I grew to like her. Wanted Ellie to murder her every chance she got hah. The death just felt very...stupid. These 2 brothers dont trust anybody and have survived for so long with that rule. Yet here's Tommy telling them all where they are and there real names. Plus loads of people are called Joel. How tf do you know if you the right one? :lol:. It felt too quick. The youtuber Critical Drinker gave a brilliant run-down on how it should have went and it honestly sounds so much better and heartbreaking.
Theyre finally trusting because they’ve softened up. They’ve been part of a community long term and Joel after the first game learnt to love and open up again. When you watch all of the flashbacks throughout the second game he’s a much more tender and almost shy man. His final conversation with Ellie is testament to this. Also they are almost certain it’s Joel because they’ve tracked him to that specific location, yes they could have got the wrong one, but Joel isn’t the most fecking common name.

edgecutter

Bella Ramsey is an awful choice as Ellie, you just get this vibe that acting really isn't her thing.

Also feel that the writers are pushing Ellie as more clever than Joel which totally differs from the first game. I don't mind if it differs from the source, but joel is the harden survivior not this 14 year old girl.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I still don't understand this pov if you mean Joel and Tommy trusting a stranger when Abby was in trouble? You are just thinking of Joel and Tommy from the first game and the kind of society they were living in. Whereas this is Joel and Tommy who had been living in a lot more calmer society which had traders/travellers coming and going for a few years.

The day it broke out Joel left a struggling family on the side of the road. Joel was first game Joel before the outbreak, the outbreak just brought that out of him more. Joel is paranoid immediately and from the off, its not something that comes to him in the outbreak.

Amarsdd

The day it broke out Joel left a struggling family on the side of the road. Joel was first game Joel before the outbreak, the outbreak just brought that out of him more. Joel is paranoid immediately and from the off, its not something that comes to him in the outbreak.
I think you're just thinking in a straight line. Do you think Joel would have left that family if it was only him and Tommy in the car? I think not. Actually I'm sure he would not have as it would have made him instantly hate-able. Everytime his paranoia has been rooted to someone that needed protecting. In the events of the second game, he's escaping from the infected when he finds Abby alone and helps her escape. And again, during that escape they find a safe place from the woman that they saved. In that scenario as well, if Joel had someone like Ellie or Sarah with him, I'm sure he would have been more weary of Abby and then the place she was taking them for safety. Add that to the fact the life he had been living for the last few years, it makes sense to me.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Bella Ramsey is an awful choice as Ellie, you just get this vibe that acting really isn't her thing.

Also feel that the writers are pushing Ellie as more clever than Joel which totally differs from the first game. I don't mind if it differs from the source, but joel is the harden survivior not this 14 year old girl.
What? Think she’s been great. She was also standout in her scene on GOT.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think you're just thinking in a straight line. Do you think Joel would have left that family if it was only him and Tommy in the car? I think not. Actually I'm sure he would not have as it would have made him instantly hate-able. Everytime his paranoia has been rooted to someone that needed protecting. In the events of the second game, he's escaping from the infected when he finds Abby alone and helps her escape. And again, during that escape they find a safe place from the woman that they saved. In that scenario as well, if Joel had someone like Ellie or Sarah with him, I'm sure he would have been more weary of Abby and then the place she was taking them for safety. Add that to the fact the life he had been living for the last few years, it makes sense to me.
I think we'll end up agreeing to disagree on this one.
Thats acting like he only accounts for others and not himself or Tommy. We also don't know he would have at all nor do we know he wouldn't but we know he didn't. To me we've seen nothing that hints at that. Joel is not very likeable its part of what makes him such an anti-hero and being so grey is what drives his decision making right up to the end. He very much comes across to me as cold from the start. I also don't think 5 years is enough to undo 20 + years of hardenening, even find a new daughter in Ellie. People can point to Ellie, but Joel is a cold mfer from end to end of the first game.

I also think its why ND always felt he couldn't let Joel away reprecussion free for the end of the first game but thats pure hypothisis on my part.

What I think is interesting is if Abby had saved Joel I feel the situation would have made more sense. (Tommy and Joel would have a reason to drop their guard, and Abby would not have a reason to doubt her hatred.). I think it would also have hinted at a more redeemable Abby.
Not to say I'm a better writer or anything but the whole thing just becomes more realistic to me given what we know about Joel as opposed to what we think. We have clear actions to judge him on. Before and after the outbreak.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

Bella Ramsey has nailed it, she has got all the innocence cheek and curiosity perfectly and I dont get what you mean where the writers are pushing her as more clever than Joel. She is just the same as most teens where they point out to us adults where sometimes we have double standards or dont read situations well.
Acting isnt her thing? Ever see her in GOT?

padr81

Supports
Man City
If anything I'm less sold on Pedro than Bella. Pascal seems a bit flat compared to Troy in his delivery but it might just be accent and familiarity. Bella for me has been excellent, episode 1 I was take it or leave it but in the two episodes since she's nailed Ellie. Ironically given I've sad the show is milder than the game (it is). Bella seems a bit more battle harderend than game Ellie and I think thats a good thing because of all she's been through.

BEST No7

3rd episode was absolutely crap. Nothing to do with game. That's the 2nd big fecking bs they've done already...jess killed by army...in the show by fecking explosives, while suckling her mouth hole. Will fade out out like a wet fart

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
3rd episode was absolutely crap. Nothing to do with game. That's the 2nd big fecking bs they've done already...jess killed by army...in the show by fecking explosives, while suckling her mouth hole. Will fade out out like a wet fart
Hopefully you fade out

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
People who want an exact 1:1 of the game are weirdos who touch themselves while watching My Little Pony, just play the game if you want it exact.

AaronRedDevil

People who want an exact 1:1 of the game are weirdos who touch themselves while watching My Little Pony, just play the game if you want it exact.
Isn't that not the point to these adaptations? I want to see this book/game/whatever come to life in live action. There's a reason why so many of the adaptations today are crap because "they want there own spin on it". I'm sorry but ND story IS why it's great, not the showrunners story. That Bill and school section would have been great tension. Plus showing Joel how to make a nail bomb. Not this days of our lives crap. I like the episode but it should have been way better.

Drawfull

Isn't that not the point to these adaptations? I want to see this book/game/whatever come to life in live action. There's a reason why so many of the adaptations today are crap because "they want there own spin on it". I'm sorry but ND story IS why it's great, not the showrunners story. That Bill and school section would have been great tension. Plus showing Joel how to make a nail bomb. Not this days of our lives crap. I like the episode but it should have been way better.
To steal a line from Titanic, 'There's your first clue, Sherlock!'

Do you really think Bill showing Joel how to make a nail bomb would have made the episode better? Do you really think that they won't introduce Bloaters in a meaningful way which carries the same or perhaps more weight than that of the game?

I do get some of the concerns that 'time is running out', but then again I expect those concerns will be for nothing come the end of the series because the vast majority of all the reviews are for the full season, and lots of those reviews frequently compare the show to the game - and it's always in a positive way. I've read them all because I have no life. Are they all wrong?

@BEST No7 especially regarding the FEDRA versus Infected Tess death, that entire scene is beat for beat and line for line identical to the game apart from the very last 5 seconds (target down, she took out two of my men, search the building). Is that 'better'? As Druckmann said in the episode podcast, it made no sense for FEDRA to even be there - they'd already done what they needed to do - so they changed it to infected.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
It's not the showrunner's story, it's Druckmann's as he is working on the show and telling the story how he wants to in a different mefium. So much of the stuff from the game won't work on tv anyway, making a nail bomb worked because of the player collecting stuff, in a tv show that makes no sense. Even FEDRA at the buildkng far from the city made no sense, so Druckmann decided to change how that scene was done.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Exactly, they need to follow the story written by Neil Druckman not the story written by Neil Druckman and some random guy who has Emmy's for his writing.

AaronRedDevil

Exactly, they need to follow the story written by Neil Druckman not the story written by Neil Druckman and some random guy who has Emmy's for his writing.
Cheeky feck :lol:. Its just a preference. I like seeing the exact thing pasted into the show. Just didn't like the drastic change. Imagine they skipped over the brilliant intro in the city. Where does it end with the changes is what worries me. Hope the do Henry and Sam good.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Literally go watch the cutscenes from the games and pretend it’s a show if that’s all you want from it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They didn’t even include the bit where a clicker ate Joel’s face and then my PS3 crashed and @esmufc07 laughed at me.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's quite literally the opposite of the point. There's a reason it's called "adaptation" and not "copy". The word "adapt" means to change/modify something for a new purpose, emphasis on the words "change" "modify" and "new purpose".

And the idea that making changes is an unsuccessful approach to take is at odds with the history of film and television, where beyond countless examples of successful adaptations rely on significant changes.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
After a few days I think it's one of the best tv episodes I've seen alongside the likes of Ozymindias, Winds of Winter, Pine Barrens, Proxy Authentication Required, International Assassin etc. and I don't understand how people can be so critical of it just cause it wasn't critical to the overall plot.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Cheeky feck :lol:. Its just a preference. I like seeing the exact thing pasted into the show. Just didn't like the drastic change. Imagine they skipped over the brilliant intro in the city. Where does it end with the changes is what worries me. Hope the do Henry and Sam good.
Sorry :lol: I understand your fears though. It seems that every video game adaptation always ends up being "no, we know better than the original creators" and inevitably they feck it up. I think that so far Mazin and Druckmann have shown massive respect to the original story and made refinements that improve it for TV. I think I heard that everything has to go through Druckmann for approval, because ultimately he owns the rights to the IP, even though Mazin clearly is running the show.