Other Game spoilers thread for The Last of Us TV Show - Enter at your own risk (Contains spoilers for Last of Us Parts 1 & 2)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah I think this one is going to pretty faithful to the original creator's intentions since it, you know, involves the creator.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Did anyone notice how they've upped the resolution on the character models. They look practically 8k or something when they should be in the classic 720p

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Did anyone notice how they've upped the resolution on the character models. They look practically 8k or something when they should be in the classic 720p
Joel is also not rummaging through enough drawers and crouching for my liking.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yeah I think this one is going to pretty faithful to the original creator's intentions since it, you know, involves the creator.
The criticisms in this thread are quite decent, a lot better than the ones the forum used to get. Still waiting for someone to say "Neil Cuckman and Craig Mazingly Shite Iol wokeness"

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The criticisms in this thread are quite decent, a lot better than the ones the forum used to get. Still waiting for someone to say "Neil Cuckman and Craig Mazingly Shite Iol wokeness"
Someone did call it woke but luckily they also posted game spoilers so I got to warn them.

Ted Lasso

Just finished TLOU2.
Might go and read the 'are games better than TV thread'... I'm in bits, and massively conflicted and it was shit and it was amazing oh my fecking god. I've now cried at two games, heh.
That's kind of a perfect summary of TLOU2. It was so emotionally draining the first time around I had to go play it again to actually appreciate it. From a technical standpoint it's incredible and maybe the zenith of PS4.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The podcast is good and gives a lot of context to the deviations. Druckmann says multiple times that it's been an opportunity to put stuff in that he would've loved to have in the game but wouldn't work at all, and change some stuff that wouldn't translate well into a TV adaptation.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Bella Ramsey is an awful choice as Ellie, you just get this vibe that acting really isn't her thing.

Also feel that the writers are pushing Ellie as more clever than Joel which totally differs from the first game. I don't mind if it differs from the source, but joel is the harden survivior not this 14 year old girl.
This is a genuinely baffling opinion. She's been fantastic.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
They used the Giraffe music in this episode didn't they? Does that mean they'll recycle it later or not have the giraffe scene at all?

BEST No7

Literally go watch the cutscenes from the games and pretend it’s a show if that’s all you want from it.
No it's pretty stupid to change a simple thing that could be incorporated in the show. Why change army to zombies? Wouldn't effect the show one bit.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
No it's pretty stupid to change a simple thing that could be incorporated in the show. Why change army to zombies? Wouldn't effect the show one bit.
They actually discussed this in the podcast funnily enough. Mazin asked Druckmann why FEDRA would be so far out in the quarantine zone, where the risk of them becoming infected and bringing it back to Boston would be high, which is a good point really.

BEST No7

They actually discussed this in the podcast funnily enough. Mazin asked Druckmann why FEDRA would be so far out in the quarantine zone, where the risk of them becoming infected and bringing it back to Boston would be high, which is a good point really.
Well when why were they so far out in the game? Same rules apply. Pandering to the people, who don't give a shit and let's be honest, wouldn't be a tv show if the game wasn't as popular as it was.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Well when why were they so far out in the game? Same rules apply. Pandering to the people, who don't give a shit and let's be honest, wouldn't be a tv show if the game wasn't as popular as it was.
The guy who wrote it made a mistake. And took the opportunity to make a more logical plot decision in the show.

Sylar

That's a bizarre mindset to take if the latter makes more sense

And what do you mean pandering to the people?

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
The guy who wrote it made a mistake. And took the opportunity to make a more logical plot decision in the show.
It wasn't a mistake. In the original game, Fedra is going hard after the Fireflies as they are now bombing civilian check points. It's not a stretch to think that someone in a higher place of authority would send his men out into the shit to really take that fight to them. By the end of the game the fireflies are reduced to almost nothing. This is because of the hard push by Fedra. The risk of infection is also pretty low considering they are all running around in APCs. The podcast is just making excuses that don't really stand up to scrutiny. They should just be honest and say "we wanted to do something different, and showcase more of how the infection works in our story" which is really what that was all about.

Motivations are key in making a story work. The motivation for Fedra to go after the fireflies outside the quarantine zone are understandable and relatable. They work, so they can't be a mistake. To avoid contrivance, you could have added a scene where one of the soldiers says "Im not going out there!" and some general makes some reasoning why they are going out there. But really, it would be superfluous as the motivation is obvious enough.

Cause: Fireflies are bombing civilian check points and killing Fedra inside the QZ which up until that point had maintained a relative peace and control.

Effect: Fedra pushes into the infection zones to stamp out any further attacks of that nature.

Motives are always far more important to a story that the outcome. And the motives here are sound.

BEST No7

That's a bizarre mindset to take if the latter makes more sense

And what do you mean pandering to the people?
No it isn't. It's my opinion.

That the have to make up nonsense that's not in line with game, for the sake of TV viewers.

BEST No7

Yeah he did make a mistake. Nothing logical about it. That was one of the easier things to transition to the show. Absolutely no reason whatsoever to change that. In what way did that improve the show versus what happened in game?

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Joel, Tess and Ellie snuck through multiple buildings to get to where the Fireflies were. If you honestly think FEDRA chasing that hard, and opening themselves up to danger, and getting there just after they did makes sense then I have a bridge to sell you.

Sylar

No it isn't. It's my opinion.

That the have to make up nonsense that's not in line with game, for the sake of TV viewers.
Again I don't get this. It's the same person who did the game and TV.
The dude obviously thinks this works better for TV and makes more sense
So again, how is it nonsense? Are you really annoyed by this one change that doesn't worse the story?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's been a while since I played the 1st game, but I thought the city was utterly fecked and nigh impossible to drive through? Why would Fedra risk precious vehicles and men to chase after a small group of Fireflies. How would they get the intel they'd be there anyway? I remember being surprised they just magically turned up.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I wasn't sold on Bella Ramsey in the first episode but she's winning me round.

I still think episode 3 was a bit meh though.

BEST No7

Again I don't get this. It's the same person who did the game and TV.
The dude obviously thinks this works better for TV and makes more sense
So again, how is it nonsense? Are you really annoyed by this one change that doesn't worse the story?
It's not one change?? It's two massive changes in 3 episodes ffs.

Sylar

It's not one change?? It's two massive changes in 3 episodes ffs.
Aite I'm not gonna tell you what to like or dislike.
You still haven't explained for the sake of TV viewers. The dude In charge clearly was happy with the change

But If you're getting worked up over this, the show is probably not gonna be something you enjoy and you will be better of playing the game again.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
It's been a while since I played the 1st game, but I thought the city was utterly fecked and nigh impossible to drive through? Why would Fedra risk precious vehicles and men to chase after a small group of Fireflies. How would they get the intel they'd be there anyway? I remember being surprised they just magically turned up.
Exactly, it never made sense.

Norman Brownbutter

The civilian checkpoint bombing at the start of the game is why. The fireflies had been pushing in, and it’s only reasonable to assume Fedra would hunt them down after killing their men. As for how they found them, the same way Joel and Tess found them. Being told by a firefly. Marlene’s group had been attacked, resulting in her being shot. But any number of her team could have been captured and interrogated.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The civilian checkpoint bombing at the start of the game is why. The fireflies had been pushing in, and it’s only reasonable to assume Fedra would hunt them down after killing their men. As for how they found them, the same way Joel and Tess found them. Being told by a firefly. Marlene’s group had been attacked, resulting in her being shot. But any number of her team could have been captured and interrogated.
Why is it reasonable? They don't even know they left and even if they did find out we have to guess and make up a story to assume how. It's bad storytelling and wasn't rightly removed imo.

On top of that chasing after a group in a middle of a zombie infested city with very loud vehicles is dumb as feck. That's assuming that they even came by vehicles because we have no idea as we didn't see it in the game no?

BEST No7

Aite I'm not gonna tell you what to like or dislike.
You still haven't explained for the sake of TV viewers. The dude In charge clearly was happy with the change

But If you're getting worked up over this, the show is probably not gonna be something you enjoy and you will be better of playing the game again.
I have are u stupid. Two big changes from the game...which is the source material
Exactly, it never made sense.
Cause theyv
Why is it reasonable? They don't even know they left and even if they did find out we have to guess and make up a story to assume how. It's bad storytelling and wasn't rightly removed imo.

On top of that chasing after a group in a middle of a zombie infested city with very loud vehicles is dumb as feck. That's assuming that they even came by vehicles because we have no idea as we didn't see it in the game no?
Ohh yeah people who have run the world for 20 years, they know nothing.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The whining around this show is something else. No pleasing some people.

Norman Brownbutter

Who is "they"? The other fireflies or Joel and Tess? Regardless, they would know because they would ask whoever they captured where their base/extraction zone was. And yes, we did see the vehicles. Thats why I said it. Skip to 2hr.05
Having APCs with 50 cal mounted guns makes it a lot less dumb as feck. And it's even less dumb as feck as sitting in an exposed stronghold and letting a lesser force repeatedly come and and attack you. As for why it's not in the game, it doesn't need to be. It would be bloat. Theres something the audience should be able to figure out for themselves without being spoon fed. But thats not really the point here, the point here is that some were saying that it's a mistake. It's not a mistake because you can explain it easily, as I just have. ITs not a contrivance because the motivation is there. IT makes perfect sense that a group with the means would track down a terror group that just blew up a civilian check point and killed some of their men. They caught and killed some in the QZ and then went after the rest.

As you said, you haven't played the game in some time. I played it to death over the past 10 years as this was my favourite game since 2013. Nothing has topped it since, IMO. The story, the characters, the world is rich and detailed. Theres nothing that stands out as "Why?" or "how?".

Norman Brownbutter

The whining around this show is something else. No pleasing some people.
AS is the defence of it. Nothing is wrong, everything is perfect. If you question it, youre just a "moaner". Theres nothing wrong with liking a show but still questioning artistic choices when they are compared to what came before. Honestly, people take this shit too seriously. It's a game, it's a tv show, it's a conversation. No one should be acting like they were called fat. You said it was a mistake, I disagreed and I explained why. You started the ball rolling, so I don't see why youre acting like it's all beneath you now. IS this just some dumb echo chamber and everything is awesome or you're just a moany git? Did you say the same to people who moaned about the last 2 seasons of game of thrones, or was ok because you agreed?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
AS is the defence of it. Nothing is wrong, everything is perfect. If you question it, youre just a "moaner". Theres nothing wrong with liking a show but still questioning artistic choices when they are compared to what came before. Honestly, people take this shit too seriously. It's a game, it's a tv show, it's a conversation. No one should be acting like they were called fat. You said it was a mistake, I disagreed and I explained why. You started the ball rolling, so I don't see why youre acting like it's all beneath you now. IS this just some dumb echo chamber and everything is awesome or you're just a moany git? Did you say the same to people who moaned about the last 2 seasons of game of thrones, or was ok because you agreed?
I was referring to the guy saying Bella Ramsey is crap but go off my guy.

Sylar

I have are u stupid. Two big changes from the game...which is the source material

Cause theyv

Ohh yeah people who have run the world for 20 years, they know nothing.
No, I'm not the one crying about a change by the person who made the source material in the first place :lol:

I actually hope you continue watching and there are more changes which hurt your soul

Drawfull

Fecking hell, take a pill. No shit re the bolded.