Other Game spoilers thread for The Last of Us TV Show - Enter at your own risk (Contains spoilers for Last of Us Parts 1 & 2)

Cole9

It was a great episode of TV, but the part when you come across Bill in the game and the action that ensues is one of my favourite parts of the game, so it's disappointing that they completely changed the story.

The bit in the game where Joel gets trapped upside down in Bill's town and has to shoot the infected upside down was one of the iconic parts of the game. It's such a shame that they changed it and left so many good parts out.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Ok so I did remember that Bill was alive now in the game when Joel and Ellie got there.

Even after they found the letter and were getting ready to go I expected him to show up and that he hadn't actually died. When Ellie flipped the wing mirror in the car I thought he'd be in the back seat :lol:

Great episode of television though. People criticizing it for not being the same as the game are weird and probably don't have the capacity for creative thought. "I want it to be exactly the same damnit." Go play the game then.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
People criticizing it for not being the same as the game are weird and probably don't have the capacity for creative thought.
To be fair you just have to take a look at the fan casting for this show before the actual cast were announced to see the same thing. Forget the range and talent of the actor - it was basically just whoever looked like the characters.

Cole9

Ok so I did remember that Bill was alive now in the game when Joel and Ellie got there.

Even after they found the letter and were getting ready to go I expected him to show up and that he hadn't actually died. When Ellie flipped the wing mirror in the car I thought he'd be in the back seat :lol:

Great episode of television though. People criticizing it for not being the same as the game are weird and probably don't have the capacity for creative thought. "I want it to be exactly the same damnit." Go play the game then.
There's a big difference between wanting it to be exactly the same as the game (which I don't want) and completely changing a section of the story. Ellie not even getting to meet Bill is disappointing.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
There's a big difference between wanting it to be exactly the same as the game (which I don't want) and completely changing a section of the story. Ellie not even getting to meet Bill is disappointing.
But you could argue that what they changed here actually adds and gives even more weight to what happens at the end of the game (and season, assuming they don't change that as well).

The Bill bit in the game was great from what I remember but it was very video gamey. Not every episode is going to be full on zombie jeopardy like the game was.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I think what happened in the game is perfect for the game and vice versa.

You couldn't have that episode in a video game obviously and alternatively if the TV show was exactly the same as the game from start to finish it would get old very quick.

Two different mediums trying to tell the same story. I don't think it was pointless at all either. That letter is very important in establishing a deeper bond between Joel and Ellie. And the letter wouldn't have had the emotional weight behind it without the backstory between Bill and Frank.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I can’t think of a single thing that happens with Bill in the game that would’ve made for an amazing, heartfelt original episode of television…. It was all pretty standard zombie thing side quest stuff, intended to give us a few good gaming beats. Being annoyed that they made something profound out of it (whilst still keeping the same characters and their general backstory btw) is hilariously churlish.

fecking gaming nerds

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Maybe some of the difficulty some have with it is connected to a game where the players interactions are mostly based on the action scenes and the story via a visual experience only needs to connect more with the emotional drama that makes up the story.
Im one of those who loved the sequel even more than the first and partly because I loved the fact the game writers did things I didnt expect. Having things in the tv series we didnt seem coming is a good thing for me. It helps add more interest to a story I already mostly know.

Code-CX

To be fair, I can only remember like 3-4 main plot points from the first game which are Tess’s death, the two brothers, the cannibal group, and the actual ending, so I wouldn’t say this episode does too much to detract from the story. On it’s own, I’d say it was a very good episode.

I still have no idea how they’re going to deal with the second game which I’m not the biggest fan of, mostly due to the weird character portrayals / confusing narrative they went with (I still think the main spoiler in that game was off mainly due to them treating Joel like a dumbass). I hope they’re able to translate it better in show form because I do think it has potential that just didn’t click for me when I played it.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I can’t think of a single thing that happens with Bill in the game that would’ve made for an amazing, heartfelt original episode of television…. It was all pretty standard zombie thing side quest stuff, intended to give us a few good gaming beats. Being annoyed that they made something profound out of it (whilst still keeping the same characters and their general backstory btw) is hilariously churlish.

fecking gaming nerds

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Though the epsiode was excellent. I can't actually remember too much from the first game and haven't played the second yet, but I was like I could have sworn one of bill/frank was alive in the game :lol:

laughtersassassin

Show is top quality. Just like the games.

I'm loving the mix of keeping some things near identical and changing/expanding in some other things.

Brilliant 3 episodes so far

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Though the epsiode was excellent. I can't actually remember too much from the first game and haven't played the second yet, but I was like I could have sworn one of bill/frank was alive in the game :lol:
You don't remember the strawberry planting mini game!?

laughtersassassin

One thing crossed my mind with the TV show.

If the TV show ends up being highly acclaimed, would they just reappropriate a potential third game into the TV show? From interviews, I get the feeling Druckmann is someone who wants to be in TV and Movies over Video Games, and the silver screen audience is still much bigger than the video game audience and probably always will be.

I’ve said it before but after looking at the game, playing it and watching how it’s evolved, TLOU seems more suited to a TV show than a game, especially if you’re going to make a franchise out of it. The story carries the gameplay and if the story is deemed the best aspect of the game by people who love it, then should it be a game?
Not a chance. Druckman loves games. He is a the Co President of a game studio.

Games and TV are very different mediums. If there a Part 3 it'll be a games before it'll be a show and as we see a show and game telling are quite different in style and rightfully so.

I'm hoping Part 3 is already secretly in production.

And yes games where the best part if them are the story should still be games as it's an entirely different experience to a show. Also the gameplay of TLOU is brilliant.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
To be fair, I can only remember like 3-4 main plot points from the first game which are Tess’s death, the two brothers, the cannibal group, and the actual ending, so I wouldn’t say this episode does too much to detract from the story.
In the olden days of adaptation, we’d be lucky to get 3 of those in a slightly schlocky film with Mark Wahlberg, where Ellie saves him at the end and there’s probably a bazooka… Now we seem to have gone too far the other way, and people are expecting 1:1 adaptations of anything across all different types of media, which just seems utterly pointless. Why even do it? You have the game/book/comic. Why do you need to see it pantomimed exactly? Just seems like a waste of everyone’s time

You don't remember the strawberry planting mini game!?
that fecking hack who made Heavy Rain would kill for a strawberry planting mini game.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Did the episode launch straight into the title sequence? Or was there a scene before hand? My skybox decided to start recording at the very end of the title sequence.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Not a chance. Druckman loves games. He is a the Co President of a game studio.

Games and TV are very different mediums. If there a Part 3 it'll be a games before it'll be a show and as we see a show and game telling are quite different in style and rightfully so.

I'm hoping Part 3 is already secretly in production.

And yes games where the best part if them are the story should still be games as it's an entirely different experience to a show. Also the gameplay of TLOU is brilliant.
My hope is they tell different two different stories.

Maybe season 1 starts loosely based on the game sure (though they could easily plot it out over 2 seasons)... But then from there, go a different way and tell a new, interesting story that's works better as a TV show. TLoU part 3 can be whatever it is, and the TV show can be whatever it is.

Either way I think they'd have to change up season two if it is based on the game quite a bit... It's a bit too rudimentary for compelling television, and structure wise it would need rejigging.

laughtersassassin

My hope is they tell different two different stories.

Maybe season 1 starts loosely based on the game sure (though they could easily plot it out over 2 seasons)... But then from there, go a different way and tell a new, interesting story that's works better as a TV show. TLoU part 3 can be whatever it is, and the TV show can be whatever it is.

Either way I think they'd have to change up season two if it is based on the game quite a bit... It's a bit too rudimentary for compelling television, and structure wise it would need rejigging.
Nah. The plan is for Season 2 and 3 can and will stick to the game Part 2. That's what the creators said. And I'm happy with that.

They'll flesh it out in certain areas and make changes but keep the same major story beats and key moments as they are doing with Season 1.

Yes the structure im sure they'll rejig as the copying the games Part 2 structure won't work as a TV show.

They'll jump perspectives from one episode to the next is my guess. That'll work well and has been done in lots of shows.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
that fecking hack who made Heavy Rain would kill for a strawberry planting mini game.
How dare you besmirch the name of the visionary that came up with "Zees game eez about emoshun".

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Think its becoming clearer to me that Season 1 is going to end at winter. That would be a good, dramatic sequence to finish Season 1. With a nice, natural and calm opening to Season 2.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Now we seem to have gone too far the other way, and people are expecting 1:1 adaptations of anything across all different types of media, which just seems utterly pointless. Why even do it? You have the game/book/comic. Why do you need to see it pantomimed exactly? Just seems like a waste of everyone’s time
As well as the problems you’ve already outlined with that approach, I think by design you’ll always end up with a weaker final piece. The medium can’t capitalise on the immersion that interactivity brings, different mediums should have different approaches.

Also not talking specifically but in general a lot of great games can have pretty shit stories. So a 1:1 approach would end up a cringe fest only without the fun of blowing something up with a grenade launcher to make up for it. Even when the story and writing is strong, like the comic Watchmen, the almost 1:1 adaptation felt pretty pointless and was an inferior end result. It didn’t help that the few changes went against the ethos of the entire thing. Which I have no problem with an adaptation doing if done with purpose like the way Verhoeven wonderfully adapted Starship Troopers, but not because slo mo fight scenes are really cool.

Drawfull

Think its becoming clearer to me that Season 1 is going to end at winter. That would be a good, dramatic sequence to finish Season 1. With a nice, natural and calm opening to Season 2.
They're on record that Season 1 is the entire first game. Be a bit of a fecking plot twist that they're not only drip feeding the episodes but they lied about the ending as well :lol:

Link to quotes

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Show is top quality. Just like the games.

I'm loving the mix of keeping some things near identical and changing/expanding in some other things.

Brilliant 3 episodes so far
They’ve nailed the perfect way to do it. Some things were great in the game so they’ve kept exactly as is but as others have said, certain gameplay elements won’t translate well so they’ve got the chance to expand on that whilst keeping faithful to the foundations of the story.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
They've been extremely faithful to the game so far, where it counts, and mostly just added new scenes and plots where it's suited the medium of TV more, and changed stuff like the spores that wouldn't translate well. They couldn't have done it any better.

Also quite a bit of the dialogue between Joel and Ellie in this episode was word for word from the game, if I recall correctly - the book store, and the three rules.

CloneMC16

They’ve nailed the perfect way to do it. Some things were great in the game so they’ve kept exactly as is but as others have said, certain gameplay elements won’t translate well so they’ve got the chance to expand on that whilst keeping faithful to the foundations of the story.
Very little in the third episode is faithful to the source material. We don't know exactly what happens between Bill and Frank. What we do know is, Frank got tired of Bill's shit and left. He gets infected and kills himself. Bill lives on. The entire episode is based on a note that is found, and still completely changes what the conclusion of their relationship is.

This isn't what I wanted from the show, but a lot of people enjoyed it. I'm glad they enjoyed it more than I did.

This straw man's argument is what gets thrown at people with a similar opinion as me. I don't expect the tv show to be exactly the same as the game. You can't do that without boring viewers. The first and second episode did a much better job of expanding the story, and changing little bits, while keeping the conclusion of those chapters the same as the game.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Very little in the third episode is faithful to the source material. We don't know exactly what happens between Bill and Frank. What we do know is, Frank got tired of Bill's shit and left. He gets infected and kills himself. Bill lives on. The entire episode is based on a note that is found, and still completely changes what the conclusion of their relationship is.

This isn't what I wanted from the show, but a lot of people enjoyed it. I'm glad they enjoyed it more than I did.
That worked in the game (iirc you have to dodge traps and shoot upside down and stuff) and this worked for TV. It’s what I wanted from the show. I don’t care if it deviates from the game as long as the core storyline and elements remain the same. The overall outcome after Bill/Frank is still the same and we got a great piece of TV at the same time.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

This straw man's argument is what gets thrown at people with a similar opinion as me. I don't expect the tv show to be exactly the same as the game. You can't do that without boring viewers. The first and second episode did a much better job of expanding the story, and changing little bits, while keeping the conclusion of those chapters the same as the game.
The difficulty is we all have expectations of the show. Some want it faithful to the game, others dont mind some creative licence as long as the story is strong. Others dont know the game and have no expectations.

macheda14

In the game Bill is basically just a character that provides a bit of colour to the world. Gets them from A to B and maybe is a counter to Joel in as much as he shows the player what Joel could be like if he was even less trusting. In the show the episode gets to the same conclusion by getting Joel and Ellie the car battery, but also fleshes out that Joel had know Tess for longer than 10 years AND through the letter gives Joel the motivations that come together in the end of the season. There would have been a Bill episode whether they stayed true to the game or not, this one actually adds to the story in a far bigger way than if they had just followed the source material.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
That worked in the game (iirc you have to dodge traps and shoot upside down and stuff) and this worked for TV. It’s what I wanted from the show. I don’t care if it deviates from the game as long as the core storyline and elements remain the same. The overall outcome after Bill/Frank is still the same and we got a great piece of TV at the same time.
Amen. People need to realise as well that they have half the time on the tv show to create that bond between Joel and Ellie that is key to the story. This episode obviously furthered that a great deal with the change to the Bill/Frank story and the letter that was left behind (this time for Joel).

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Bill is a nothing character in the game. He's there to provide an hour or two of combat and getting the car battery, basically. If he's "pointless" in the show he's even more pointless in the game. The only memorable thing I recall is some of his dialogue with Ellie. Sure, they could've kept him alive to meet Joel and Ellie for 10 minutes but then it wouldn't have made the story as poignant.

I just don't get what's the issue with having an extra episode dedicated to a great side story that also helps explain the world and what's happened in the last 20 years?

Bosws87

Absolute filler that last episode, was like the bee episode from Breaking bad.

Worst episode so far but there’s always a lull.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Absolute filler that last episode, was like the bee episode from Breaking bad.

Worst episode so far but there’s always a lull.
Do you really think in an age of TV where (good) writers map things out years in advance that they got given a set number of episodes and went "oops, guess we've got another episode to fill. Let's just make something up".

Or do you think they wanted to tell this story about characters in their world that also intertwined with the main plot? Maybe it's just nice to enjoy the entertainment that's in front of you instead of worrying about the destination.

There have been cases of filler episodes in shows before but ironically as it becomes less and less common, more people seem to be parroting it. Filler is when a studio demands a certain episode run and the creators have no real way to fulfil that demand. This is clearly a show where Druckmann/Mazin have been given free license to tell the story as they please.

Was Pine Barrens filler? There's about 20 episodes of The Sopranos that technically don't advance the plot but they're still some of the best episodes from one of the best shows ever made.

Such a lazy term.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Do you really think in an age of TV where (good) writers map things out years in advance that they got given a set number of episodes and went "oops, guess we've got another episode to fill. Let's just make something up".

Or do you think they wanted to tell this story about characters in their world that also intertwined with the main plot? Maybe it's just nice to enjoy the entertainment that's in front of you instead of worrying about the destination.

There have been cases of filler episodes in shows before but ironically as it becomes less and less common, more people seem to be parroting it. Filler is when a studio demands a certain episode run and the creators have no real way to fulfil that demand. This is clearly a show where Druckmann/Mazin have been given free license to tell the story as they please.

Was Pine Barrens filler? There's about 20 episodes of The Sopranos that technically don't advance the plot but they're still some of the best episodes from one of the best shows ever made.

Such a lazy term.
People genuinely don't understand what filler episodes are. What this episode did was develop the plot, and lay the groundwork for the relationship between Joel and Ellie in a way that makes it make sense.

Bosws87

Such a lazy term.
It’s not that deep, it’s the game thread and that from where I’m standing and what I played was absolute filler content for a tv audience.

Literally a random guy came out of a hole played the piano ate a 5 star meal in the middle of apocalypse then they lived happily ever after until the turn at the end.

Its nothing of the sort of world class writing