Other Game spoilers thread for The Last of Us TV Show - Enter at your own risk (Contains spoilers for Last of Us Parts 1 & 2)

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
if it helps, the writers have confirmed that Tess was seconds away from completely turning, hence why she looked like she had given up and that runner knew it (hence why nobody charged her, merely "welcomed" her into the fold). It took her last piece of humanity to light that flame

They could have done a better job of showing it with the close ups but you can see that there's a moment where her lighter clicks become hesitant just before she is caught
of the opinion that if you need to tell the audience what's happening in a scene after the fact, you didn't write or shoot a very good scene. Came across as she was petrified, and that the slow walk up was just to get the audience squeamish. So far it's a good show but the changes made are really hit and miss. Some of them are really good, others just suck balls, IMO.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
They're clearing trying to ramp up the tension and danger that the zombies and clickers are the real enemy so I think for the theme of that episode it worked well that was the cause of Tess' death. Rather than how it is in the game.

I also think it was pretty clear that she was scared and also surprised that the zombies were ignoring her, at that moment it was pretty clear to the viewer she was fecked and didn't have long to live. The kiss was horrendous. I did wonder why she didnt just pick up a grenade though rather than relying on a lighter. I mean there was like a dozen or so on the floor!

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
of the opinion that if you need to tell the audience what's happening in a scene after the fact, you didn't write or shoot a very good scene. Came across as she was petrified, and that the slow walk up was just to get the audience squeamish. So far it's a good show but the changes made are really hit and miss. Some of them are really good, others just suck balls, IMO.
I agree with you about the changes being hit and miss, I would have preferred Tess game death for example and I don't like the hive mind stuff personally.

There was something awesome about being able to "Outthink" a group of infected in the game so that with a bit of planning a couple of people could take out 20/30 of them but that's kind of ruined with the land line.

I accepted the fact that they ditched the spores (due to the fact it's difficult to film etc) even though I thought it's what made the outbreak feel "Unique" when I played the game but I'm not into the new replacement unique selling point and find it a bit ... Bleh.

Just so I'm not coming across as a big fanboy who doesn't like anything I actually did enjoy the Jakarta stuff and the additional information the cold opens are giving us so far.

Drawfull

I agree with you about the changes being hit and miss, I would have preferred Tess game death for example and I don't like the hive mind stuff personally.

There was something awesome about being able to "Outthink" a group of infected in the game so that with a bit of planning a couple of people could take out 20/30 of them but that's kind of ruined with the land line.

I accepted the fact that they ditched the spores (due to the fact it's difficult to film etc) even though I thought it's what made the outbreak feel "Unique" when I played the game but I'm not into the new replacement unique selling point and find it a bit ... Bleh.

Just so I'm not coming across as a big fanboy who doesn't like anything I actually did enjoy the Jakarta stuff and the additional information the cold opens are giving us so far.
The spores were ditched because they don’t make sense - why would they only be in specific areas/why wouldn’t they spread and be everywhere.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It looks so much like the game; it’s beautiful.

Even without knowing who was involved, you could have discerned it was made with a lot of love.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Don't remember much of the game to be honest. Bits here and there like the music that comes in, and I feel like I remember the end of the game but they're doing a great job with it IMO.

Drawfull

Completed Part 1 again over the weekend, and if anything I think the changes seen so far in the show are for the better. Some of the game sequences haven't held up particularly well, and the new demise of Tess is an improvement in my opinion. It just seemed to happen in the game, like she was and then she wasn't.

DevilsOwn

The sound the clickers made up close (like teeth clattering?) brought back bad memories from the game. i think they have done the sound design/ Background score very very good for the series.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Completed Part 1 again over the weekend, and if anything I think the changes seen so far in the show are for the better. Some of the game sequences haven't held up particularly well, and the new demise of Tess is an improvement in my opinion. It just seemed to happen in the game, like she was and then she wasn't.
The changes have added depth to the whole story, Ive really enjoyed them.

Woodzy

Im playing for only the second time at the moment, and finished that part last night after watching the second episode. It’s nowhere near as dramatic in the game in all honesty.

Drawfull

Im playing for only the second time at the moment, and finished that part last night after watching the second episode. It’s nowhere near as dramatic in the game in all honesty.
Are you playing episode by episode or did you just stop 'cos that's a sensible break point? I tried the former, but ended up carrying through. Just started another NG+ on Grounded+

Woodzy

Are you playing episode by episode or did you just stop 'cos that's a sensible break point? I tried the former, but ended up carrying through. Just started another NG+ on Grounded+
I stopped because it was sensible as I only started playing on the weekend, but I also wanted to kinda I made sure I got to that point before I called it a night yesterday so I guess it was partly intentional. I'm half tempted to play it episode-by-episode from now but it seems too long to wait.

What I will say, after only ever playing the original game once and having a vague recollection of most of it, i'm thouroughly enjoying the 'remake' so far.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I liked the death and thought it was a cool concept. Basically "she's already one of us, we don't need to hurt her".

I do think they could've done another episode with Joel and Tess, though. Feels like we didn't get enough of them together or something.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
The sound the clickers made up close (like teeth clattering?) brought back bad memories from the game. i think they have done the sound design/ Background score very very good for the series.
It's really good isn't it? The world they have created for the series is fantastic as well and mimics the game very well.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It'll be interesting to see who they cast as abby in season 2.
Just give the role to Colleen Fotsch and then wait for the accusations of CGI shenanigans from the Wizards of the Internet to start.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
The spores were ditched because they don’t make sense - why would they only be in specific areas/why wouldn’t they spread and be everywhere.

But the writer/director/ creator of the game/ series said this;

The Last of Us writer and co-creator Neil Druckmann told Polygon. “If we wanted to treat it realistically, and there are spores near, characters would wear gas masks all the time. Then we lose so much, which is maybe the most important part of the journey is what’s going on inside behind their eyes, in their soul, in their beings. For that logistical reason, we were like, Let’s find a different vector.”

I always just assumed that the decomposition of the infected bodies in enclosed areas was what produced the spores so if there wasn't a decomposing body in enclosed space it wasn't an issue (like spores from black mold in a room in a house vs black mold on a wall outside)

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
For those interested, Druckmann and Mazin have a podcast after each episode (hosted by game Joel actor Troy Baker). It’s the official HBO podcast.

They addressed the issue of changing Tess’s death:
Mazin apparently asked Drukmann why FEDRA would be way out there and he answered something like “good point, they would have no reason to be”. They discuss the kiss as well.

Drawfull

But the writer/director/ creator of the game/ series said this;

The Last of Us writer and co-creator Neil Druckmann told Polygon. “If we wanted to treat it realistically, and there are spores near, characters would wear gas masks all the time. Then we lose so much, which is maybe the most important part of the journey is what’s going on inside behind their eyes, in their soul, in their beings. For that logistical reason, we were like, Let’s find a different vector.”

I always just assumed that the decomposition of the infected bodies in enclosed areas was what produced the spores so if there wasn't a decomposing body in enclosed space it wasn't an issue (like spores from black mold in a room in a house vs black mold on a wall outside)
Fair enough, but that isn't the reason they gave in the official podcast or one of the official makings of. Craig Mazin apparently didn't like the spores for the reasons I've mentioned. It's not a big deal really.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Just give the role to Colleen Fotsch and then wait for the accusations of CGI shenanigans from the Wizards of the Internet to start.

I don't think anyone will claim it's CGI when the obvious explanation is PEDs

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
They should just do what they did in the game, her body and Jocelyn Mettler's face.
She can wear a paper mask with Mettler's face on it.
They should just do what they did in the game, her body and Jocelyn Mettler's face.
Overdub the voice. The paper mask means you won't see her lips moving.

We should go to HBO with this advice.

Holocene

Fantastic so far.

Joel dying at the start of season 2 is going to be such a sucker punch :lol:

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah but name a bodybuilder who isn't juiced up?
Big Steve from down the gym. He swears he's natural and he'll fight anyone who claims otherwise.
Fantastic so far.

At least they cast an actor who's experienced with getting his face smushed

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I loved the second game but the story is nowhere near as good or tight as the first and the characters (Ellie included) are really unlikable. I think they'll need to change a lot in the show to make it appeal to a big TV audience, starting with not smashing Joel's head in.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Fair enough, but that isn't the reason they gave in the official podcast or one of the official makings of. Craig Mazin apparently didn't like the spores for the reasons I've mentioned. It's not a big deal really.
Well I didn't say it was a big deal, just that it was an aspect of the game that I liked and would have preferred they kept but I accepted the change due to the limitations it put on the actors ability to do their job.

Having ketchup on a burger instead of mayo isn't a big deal either but if I like one more its going to influence my enjoyment of the product whether I want it to or not.

You may prefer the fungal link/"Night King" effect on the infected but I think it kind of ruins the advantage that the humans had over the infected.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I loved the second game but the story is nowhere near as good or tight as the first and the characters (Ellie included) are really unlikable. I think they'll need to change a lot in the show to make it appeal to a big TV audience, starting with not smashing Joel's head in.
Yeah agree with that maybe they will make it a kidnapping instead with Ellie trying to rescue him.

Holocene

Yeah agree with that maybe they will make it a kidnapping instead with Ellie trying to rescue him.
I doubt it. They've been true to the game so far with only minor tweaks.

Drawfull

I couldn't get through the second precisely because of this. Is there any reason for Ellie's antagonism towards Joel from the beginning of the game (other than the possibility she knows)? I got to where Ellie and friend were out and about (so post Joel) and don't remember it being explained.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Fantastic so far.

Maybe they'll stretch out the start for a couple of episodes? Either that or have LOTS of flashbacks with Joel. If you've got Pedro in your show it would be stupid to kill him off so quickly and not bring him back