Other Game spoilers thread for The Last of Us TV Show - Enter at your own risk (Contains spoilers for Last of Us Parts 1 & 2)

Drawfull

In EP1, when the boy comes out of the wilderness to the QZ in Boston, he walks past a plush giraffe. When Joel and Tess leave the QZ in the game, there's a young boy in the market area holding the 'same' toy.

A nice touch, I thought.

CloneMC16

I couldn't get through the second precisely because of this. Is there any reason for Ellie's antagonism towards Joel from the beginning of the game (other than the possibility she knows)? I got to where Ellie and friend were out and about (so post Joel) and don't remember it being explained.
TLOU2 spoilers.

There is a flashback during the second game that shows Ellie going back to the hospital they went to at the end of the first game. She finds evidence in there to suggest that Joel lied to her. She then has a discussion with him about it. The video below shows the whole thing. She stays mad at Joel after that. So yeah. She's mad because she knows. You didn't get far enough into the game to see it.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Yeah, the clicker introduction was brilliant.

The hive mind is an interesting addition. The tendrils are creepy.

Think I'll stick to this thread, having played the games.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I'm lucky that I played both games but I'm really struggling to remember most of part one. Only remember the end really.

KiD MoYeS

I'm lucky that I played both games but I'm really struggling to remember most of part one. Only remember the end really.
I played the remake when I finally got a PlayStation 5 earlier this year. It is still all fresh in my memory, happy to see how faithful they have been to the game but also adding new aspects to keep it interesting to those familiar with the story. Apparently the game sales have been massive the past couple of weeks, I'm hoping it accelerates Part III production.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Wasn't sold on the stupid kiss thing at the end, that's a proper weird decision they took. Doesn't bother me it deviated from the game, but it just felt weird and out of place.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I loved the second game but the story is nowhere near as good or tight as the first and the characters (Ellie included) are really unlikable. I think they'll need to change a lot in the show to make it appeal to a big TV audience, starting with not smashing Joel's head in.
I don't think they will. It was only a handful of emotional nerds who had an issue with that, I think TV audiences will accept it.

Getting rid of that changes the whole story of part 2, which I personally thought was brilliant. Where do you go with the story if you remove that?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I couldn't get through the second precisely because of this. Is there any reason for Ellie's antagonism towards Joel from the beginning of the game (other than the possibility she knows)? I got to where Ellie and friend were out and about (so post Joel) and don't remember it being explained.
It was fully explained in the game and then it became an important factor in a flashback between Ellie and Joel near the end of the game. A fairly emotional scene.

Stack

I don't think they will. It was only a handful of emotional nerds who had an issue with that, I think TV audiences will accept it.

Getting rid of that changes the whole story of part 2, which I personally thought was brilliant. Where do you go with the story if you remove that?
Getting rid of it also removes the whole point being examined in the 2nd game. Revenge is often physically and emotionally brutal and perpetuates a cycle that spirals out of control to a pointless conclusion. Removing it means that there has to be a completely different story told with different motivations.

Stack

I've started a new run today, so hopefully I can get it done this time.
Part of the game is that it bounces timelines and when it does so it helps to reveal background parts of the story and things make sense. For some it didnt work and they didnt like how that played out. I loved it, sort of like crime dramas where you get taken down one path and then find you have made all the wrong assumptions.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

The second game has a noticeably darker and more depressing tone than the first and almost every character in it is unsympathetic and horrible. It works great in the game as you have to control these characters but I'm not sure how well it'd transition to the TV. I'm also not saying Joel shouldn't be killed off, rather the manner of it.. I'm sure they'll make it work but it'll be more difficult than the first to do so.

KiD MoYeS

I would like for season two to directly follow Part I rather than jump forward to Part II. Makes more sense for a series.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I actually think tv is gonna do part 2 more justice than the game did. Mazin will tidy up the writing and pacing and fix some of the silly execution on plot points because the game was in super crunch and the story rushed. I disliked the narrative in the game based on execution but I'm looking forward to it in the show.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I would like for season two to directly follow Part I rather than jump forward to Part II. Makes more sense for a series.
I think it will, simply because Bella isn't going to be able to age quickly enough for them. Joel in the show is 56 and in the game 51 at the start.
I think it will be an older Abby who finds out her father died and she'll come for Ellie a year or so later.

Stack

I think it will, simply because Bella isn't going to be able to age quickly enough for them. Joel in the show is 56 and in the game 51 at the start.
I think it will be an older Abby who finds out her father died and she'll come for Ellie a year or so later.
Bella is 20 years old so being the right age for part 2 wont be a problem

padr81

Supports
Man City
Bella is 20 years old so being the right age for part 2 wont be a problem
She looks younger though, I guess with makeup, but I don't think we'll get as big a time gap. Maybe 18 months or so.

Sylar

I am tempted to throw game one on and play it side by side to see similarities and differences. Would mean playing the game Monday / Tuesday only though and stopping at certain points :nervous:

Oldyella

Wasn't sold on the stupid kiss thing at the end, that's a proper weird decision they took. Doesn't bother me it deviated from the game, but it just felt weird and out of place.
It's the quickest way to infect I guess. Nice big gaping hole for tendrils to enter. Why she stood there, no idea unless it was fear, but wasn't conveyed too well. Proper nightmare fuel though.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It's the quickest way to infect I guess. Nice big gaping hole for tendrils to enter. Why she stood there, no idea unless it was fear, but wasn't conveyed too well. Proper nightmare fuel though.
I think it was trying to hint that she was already changing and nearly one of them. So she was fighting that urge to not blow them up, possibly.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I think it was trying to hint that she was already changing and nearly one of them. So she was fighting that urge to not blow them up, possibly.
My interpretation was that if she panicked and was overrun she wouldn’t be able to blow them all up so just accepted her fate. Thought she really should have just picked up a grenade.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My interpretation was that if she panicked and was overrun she wouldn’t be able to blow them all up so just accepted her fate. Thought she really should have just picked up a grenade.
Yeah or that. The lighter trope has been done a million times.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Maybe the fact she wasn't fleeing or fighting was the reason the runner didn't attack her?

crossy1686

career ending
The Jakarta reference from the first episode was good, then they double downed on it in the second episode with more of an explanation.

For those that don't know, Jakarta is where most of the worlds supply of flour comes from, and in the first episode the main characters avoided flour in multiple scenes. They didn't have pancake mix, Sarah turned down the cookies because they contained raisins, and Joel forgot to buy a cake. I enjoyed that deep level of thinking as to how these spores could feasibly spread so fast.

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah it didn't really fit with Tess' character also, especially considering there was grenades just lying all over the place. The only explanation is that the makers of the show wanted to show the viewer how the infection can spread from host to host.

Drawfull

Playing through part II again, I never got much further than Seattle Day 1 it seems on my original bash. Joel's demise still hits fecking hard, that entire scene is really something. I can't see them getting rid of it for season 2.

In non-spoiler news, it really needs a PS5 update for the controller side of things. Feels so weird after playing through part 1 last week.

crossy1686

career ending
Playing through part II again, I never got much further than Seattle Day 1 it seems on my original bash. Joel's demise still hits fecking hard, that entire scene is really something. I can't see them getting rid of it for season 2.

In non-spoiler news, it really needs a PS5 update for the controller side of things. Feels so weird after playing through part 1 last week.
Agreed.

That scene ruined the game for me, I still finished it but the story was completely ruined.

It was total arrogance on their behalf. They believed they are so good at story telling they could kill off the main character and make you feel empathy for the killer. I think they truly underestimated that we came back for more of the Joel/Ellie dynamic, not some jacked up bitch and crumbling post apocalyptic world.

I get that Joel is quite one dimensional and there isn't much character development left for him but the murder is completely unnecessary.

Drawfull

Agreed.

That scene ruined the game for me, I still finished it but the story was completely ruined.

It was total arrogance on their behalf. They believed they are so good at story telling they could kill off the main character and make you feel empathy for the killer. I think they truly underestimated that we came back for more of the Joel/Ellie dynamic, not some jacked up bitch and crumbling post apocalyptic world.

I get that Joel is quite one dimensional and there isn't much character development left for him but the murder is completely unnecessary.
Agreed and I've not got past where I said in the game, so I don't know where it goes.

It's difficult I guess for a studio to do any kind of sequel when the OG is so revered not because of gameplay but because of story, because they have to make assumptions about where we were with the characters and so on, but the dynamic - and what made the orig great was Ellie and Joel's relationship as you said, and yeah...

padr81

Supports
Man City
I got the vibe she took one for the team to get the lighter lit, had she fought she'd likely have been taken down and ripped apart without stopping the horde.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah it didn't really fit with Tess' character also, especially considering there was grenades just lying all over the place. The only explanation is that the makers of the show wanted to show the viewer how the infection can spread from host to host.
They said in the podcast this is the case, along with Tess wanting to work the lighter. The infection only wants to spread, if by peaceful means, all the better.

KiD MoYeS

Season two has been confirmed, and it will cover Part II from the game. I was hoping it would follow directly after Part I.

Stack

Season two has been confirmed, and it will cover Part II from the game. I was hoping it would follow directly after Part I.
Following directly from part 1 would have been Joel and Ellie settling into life in a settlement. Not sure much happened between then and TLOU2