Gaming Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (FINAL ROUND)

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Having not been involved in the voting it's not my place to criticise of course and it's a much better list than the ign one but no dark souls*, no fallout and no zelda is mind blowing to me

*I know bloodborne is in there but it's clearly not as good as the first dark souls and personally I preferred demons too

SFII should win, its quality still stands up today even with the limited technology of its time. It really is a masterpiece
I've never played the Soul games myself but I remember they got many votes. I just think they had the rounds with the most difficult competition.

The omission of any Zelda game was a surprise to me also.

As for SF2, I completely agree. Don't think I know of too many games that held up as well as this game. As I said before in the thread, I still play it with my friends to this very day!

diarm

1. Hollow Knight
2. Half-Life 2
3. Goldeneye
4. Metal Gear Solid
5. Shadow Of The Colossus
6. Football Manager (series)
7. The Last Of Us
8. Deus Ex
9. PES Series
10. God of War

SuperiorXI

Not sure why they would do that. The original was perfect, minus the graphics of course.
I think it was just the scaling down and an attempt to 'modernise' the game... I wouldn't call it a bad effort but I feel it could have been so much better - a difficult job though to remake arguably the greatest game of all time.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I really regret not playing Shadow of the Colossus. I had that and ICO on the PlayStation 2 but never got round to playing them.

Any chance they'll get a Switch port ever?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I think it was just the scaling down and an attempt to 'modernise' the game... I wouldn't call it a bad effort but I feel it could have been so much better - a difficult job though to remake arguably the greatest game of all time.
Crazy to think it didn't make it to the round of 32 in IGN's tournament.

I'm not a fan of RPGs and especially turn-based games but this is one even I've completed and adored.

That storyline, the characters, the music... Everything. Just a perfect game.

I'm still scared of Sephiroth to this day :lol: What a villain!

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Having not been involved in the voting it's not my place to criticise of course and it's a much better list than the ign one but no dark souls*, no fallout and no zelda is mind blowing to me

*I know bloodborne is in there but it's clearly not as good as the first dark souls and personally I preferred demons too

SFII should win, its quality still stands up today even with the limited technology of its time. It really is a masterpiece
Yeah. I was involved in the voting but kind of feel like you with this final list. Too many obvious omissions for me personally to feel like I'd just be throwing votes around now for the sake of it. As such I'll sit this one out I think.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I really regret not playing Shadow of the Colossus. I had that and ICO on the PlayStation 2 but never got round to playing them.

I still haven't beaten the final boss. Was so annoying I rage quite after half a dozen attempts because it's very long winded getting back to the same point. Maybe I should re-download it and try again now I've expanded my PS5 memory.

Ainu

No chance, they were co-created by Japan Studio, which is a first-party Sony studio, and published by Sony.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Yeah. I was involved in the voting but kind of feel like you with this final list. Too many obvious omissions for me personally to feel like I'd just be throwing votes around now for the sake of it. As such I'll sit this one out I think.
To think of it differently, Alex Kidd aside (my bad :lol:), are there many games in here that you can categorically say do not deserve to be in the top 30?

Honest question as I haven't played a bunch of them but the ones I have played, I know deserve their spot!

Red_Aaron

Ico is a fantastic game and worthy of a place on this kind of list. It's better than shadow for me which I found to be maybe a boss or two too long, it was repetitive by the end. Both great examples of 'show-don't-tell' stories , they really sucked you in through gameplay and setting alone

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
To think of it differently, Alex Kidd aside (my bad :lol:), are there many games in here that you can categorically say do not deserve to be in the top 30?

Honest question as I haven't played a bunch of them but the ones I have played, I know deserve their spot!
Probably not. It is an objectively good list but there's probably only 10 I've played enough to vote for and though they might sneak into a top 30 for me I wouldn't put some of them in a top 10. I also feel like I'm voting for inferior versions of better games RDR < RDR2, GTA San Andreas < GTA 5, Mass Effect < Mass Effect 2 etc.... if that makes sense.

Red_Aaron

I've never played the Soul games myself but I remember they got many votes. I just think they had the rounds with the most difficult competition.

The omission of any Zelda game was a surprise to me also.

As for SF2, I completely agree. Don't think I know of too many games that held up as well as this game. As I said before in the thread, I still play it with my friends to this very day!
I think souls came behind TLOU and RDR both of which I love. No issue with RDR but is TLOU really much more than the sophisticated friend of the blockbuster uncharted. Its nothing ground breaking

Demons souls changed the industry imo and souls brought it into the mainstream where it continues to influence practically every third person game since

Why did that round only get 2 picks btw, the number of later generation games is a bit skewed no?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
The shite on offer to choose from is a product of the moronic userbase, and no fault of Dirty Schwein. Who has been excellent.

SuperiorXI

I think souls came behind TLOU and RDR both of which I love. No issue with RDR but is TLOU really much more than the sophisticated friend of the blockbuster uncharted. Its nothing ground breaking

Demons souls changed the industry imo and souls brought it into the mainstream where it continues to influence practically every third person game since

Why did that round only get 2 picks btw, the number of later generation games is a bit skewed no?
:eek: I thought it was a masterpiece (although hadn't played Uncharted at the time - I've never played it actually).

I'm a bit miffed DS didn't get in as well but it's just a consequence of being surrounded by other great games, only so many could get through.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The shite on offer to choose from is a product of the moronic userbase, and no fault of Dirty Schwein. Who has been excellent.
I think shite is a bit harsh. The list is the list and like all lists probably rooted in a lot of nostaligia (which is fine) but also deeply personal to each individual. To call it shite is to dismiss the personal experience of everyone that voted them.

And yes, @Dirty Schwein has done a great job compiling it.

Red_Aaron

:eek: I thought it was a masterpiece (although hadn't played Uncharted at the time - I've never played it actually).

I'm a bit miffed DS didn't get in as well but it's just a consequence of being surrounded by other great games, only so many could get through.
It is a masterpiece of its genre, I loved it too but its only uncharted with a brilliant story and different setting
A worthy title in its relevant GOTY discussions but of all time? not for me Clive

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I used to think of you as a decent person.
Haha. Tbf that might be recency bias. As an unapologetic 90's hip hop fanboi, San Andreas was the perfect setting for me. Certainly better than 4 where all I can remember is having to take Niko out on various dates for no apparent reason.

Ainu

Haha. Tbf that might be recency bias. As an unapologetic 90's hip hop fanboi, San Andreas was the perfect setting for me. Certainly better than 4 where all I can remember is having to take Niko out on various dates for no apparent reason.
If you'd never played a GTA game and you'd put the two next to each other, obviously most people would find GTA V the better game. By the time it came out though, I had grown tired of the formula and it just didn't have any impact, unlike the PS2 trilogy that just kept blowing me away and I couldn't put down. I must've played each of those titles for god knows how many months. We'd talk about it at school, play it together with friends, it was a phenomenon. I'm sure a lot of gamers of the same generation will feel that way. That's why I would never have GTA V anywhere near a list of greatest games. It's a bit of nostalgia of course, but it's also judging a game against what we had at the time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I'd say there are plenty. But it's obviously subjective. For example I think there are tons and tons of games better than World of Warcraft and Age of Empire. Last of Us would make my top 30 but its gameplay was too weak for top 10. I'm a fan of the PES series and always champion it on this forum. But it's never a top 10 game, even 30 is a huge stretch given the sheer quantum of great games till date.

But these things are so subjective. Something I dislike or love, someone else will feel the opposite. Purely based on quality I feel you have to have, for example one DS game, Sekiro, Snake Eater, Nier Automata, OUTER WILDS (I bold this so I hope it catches attention:lol:) etc but there are many factors involved.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
If you'd never played a GTA game and you'd put the two next to each other, obviously most people would find GTA V the better game. By the time it came out though, I had grown tired of the formula and it just didn't have any impact, unlike the PS2 trilogy that just kept blowing me away and I couldn't put down. I must've played each of those titles for god knows how many months. We'd talk about it at school, play it together with friends, it was a phenomenon. I'm sure a lot of gamers of the same generation will feel that way. That's why I would never have GTA V anywhere near a list of greatest games. It's a bit of nostalgia of course, but it's also judging a game against what we had at the time.
Yep, which is why I was talking about nostalgia and personal experience in my earlier post. Ultimately when creating a list do you base all your picks on nostalgia or do you have to step back and say this thing is objectively not as good as ones that came after? Do you place more importance on innovation or on tweaking the formula to perfection?

Moby

Dick
Exactly this. Vice City and San Andreas are ground breaking titles, at the time there was nothing else like it and the interactiveness of the gameworld was something else. And San Andreas genuinely has an incredible story overall as well. GTA 5 was more of a rehashed release of the existing formula with slightly better graphics but there was never any interest for people who had already played previous titles. Still many new players got on it, and the online community is huge and it is still a pretty fun game to play, it's still GTA. Just not anywhere near the previous ones.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Probably not. It is an objectively good list but there's probably only 10 I've played enough to vote for and though they might sneak into a top 30 for me I wouldn't put some of them in a top 10. I also feel like I'm voting for inferior versions of better games RDR < RDR2, GTA San Andreas < GTA 5, Mass Effect < Mass Effect 2 etc.... if that makes sense.
Let's see how the top 10 looks!

But at the same time, TLOU targeted a more casual gamer (like me) where I would never play a game like Dark Souls, which feels too hardcore for my old age! TLOU is akin to a massive blockbuster movies, let's say Avengers whereas Dark Souls is probably for more of a sophisticated taste, like a solid indie movie that blew up. TLOU will always get more votes unless you are talking to the most hardcore gamers.

As for two picks, every round had that apart from: Round 6 (because it was 1.5 generations of gaming in that one), Round 8 (PC spans a long time) and Round 9 (1 exclusive per company).

Except for Alex Kiddo for which he must be held accountable
Thank you for the compliment :nervous:

I think shite is a bit harsh. The list is the list and like all lists probably rooted in a lot of nostaligia (which is fine) but also deeply personal to each individual. To call it shite is to dismiss the personal experience of everyone that voted them.

And yes, @Dirty Schwein has done a great job compiling it.
Thanks mate, appreciate it.

I'd say there are plenty. But it's obviously subjective. For example I think there are tons and tons of games better than World of Warcraft and Age of Empire. Last of Us would make my top 30 but its gameplay was too weak for top 10. I'm a fan of the PES series and always champion it on this forum. But it's never a top 10 game, even 30 is a huge stretch given the sheer quantum of great games till date.

But these things are so subjective. Something I dislike or love, someone else will feel the opposite. Purely based on quality I feel you have to have, for example one DS game, Sekiro, Snake Eater, Nier Automata, OUTER WILDS (I bold this so I hope it catches attention:lol:) etc but there are many factors involved.
We haven't seen the top 10 yet so let's wait for that. I will fight for PES to the top of the mountain. It's the pinnacle of sports games and should, IMO, be in every GOAT discussion at the very least.

As for the games you listed there, I think these are very niche and you'll struggle to find them in most of these kinds of lists (apart from DS maybe).

Yep, which is why I was talking about nostalgia and personal experience in my earlier post. Ultimately when creating a list do you base all your picks on nostalgia or do you have to step back and say this thing is objectively not as good as ones that came after? Do you place more importance on innovation or on tweaking the formula to perfection?
I think it's a mixture. I remember SF2 due to nostalgia AND a big part of why I loved it even back then is because of how innovative it was so I guess this goes hand in hand.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It's definitely a you thing.

I have several students whose ages range from 11-16 who appreciate and in some cases adore classics, especially Nintendo titles.

It does help that a lot of those classics are available easily via Nintendo Online subscriptions. But they certainly hold up today. SMB and the Donkey Kong Country games are a lot better than most similar platform games released today, for example.

Great graphics do not make a great game. They can enhance your experience, sure, but to limit yourself to games that are pretty means you're missing on some modern and classic greats. I'm assuming you've avoided modern classics like Undertale or Spelunky because they look old (intentionally in the formers case)?
Yep can’t say ive played either of those.

Ainu

I would never disregard the impact and importance of a game at the time of its release, but only if I experienced it myself. I'm not going to go looking further back in time for impactful games that I only got to play much later, when their impact was much diminished. But if someone comes along and says Pong is their greatest game of all time because they actually played it back then and it changed everything for them, I'm also not going to go against that.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I would never disregard the impact and importance of a game at the time of its release, but only if I experienced it myself. I'm not going to go looking further back in time for impactful games that I only got to play much later, when their impact was much diminished. But if someone comes along and says Pong is their greatest game of all time because they actually played it back then and it changed everything for them, I'm also not going to go against that.
I think you have to have experienced it at the time as there's no way it can impact someone the same years after.

Looking at movies, I can appreciate an older movie that might have left a massive footprint but it would unlikely make my GOAT list because my mind will already be filled with the films that came after (and probably took inspiration and bettered it).

SuperiorXI

Re GTA V, the story wasn't as interesting as the likes of SA, VC and even LC. Technically it's undoubtedly amazing, but the story lets it down for me. It's also a shame that it led to Rockstar just basically neglecting the series for years as they made a shedload on microtransactions.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Just tallied all the votes so far.

The top 5 are starting to pull away from the rest, which are all very close.

My boy Alex Kidd is rock bottom :lol:

Moby

Dick
Objectively the likes of Vice City and San Andreas at the time they were released were easily better games than GTA 5 - in terms of originality, storyline/dialogue, interacting with the gameworld, etc etc. As far as video games are concerned - innovation is pretty much one of the most important criteria. When you create something that is both new and groundbreaking as well as an all round quality product in all other aspects that would always be regarded higher than something that took the same thing and just improved the graphics. Unless the newer version also implemented some of the aspects to the game that were completely new and add a significant upgrade to the whole experience.

I have the same opinion on Skyrim compared to Oblivion for example (and titles before Oblivion). Skyrim was visually stunning, and in isolation a classic game that had the TES formula, but that core formula was developed, perfected and tested with the audience in the previous games, and there wasn't a huge deal that Skyrim added in terms of the open world and RPG mechanics. Of course the upgrades in Skyrim compared to Oblivion are still far more as compared to GTA 5 and VC/SA given Skyrim actually added new combat mechanics, and the mods obviously took it to another level.

There's a comment on this page saying the same regarding Dark Souls and Bloodborne and I don't have any issue in agreeing to that. I haven't played Dark Souls myself and I loved Bloodborne, and FromSoftware generally don't reskin previous titles and usually ensure to either add new mechanics or make significant changes. So while I can say BB is artistically unique, has a much faster paced combat including rally which was a gamechanger, etc. the core formula they built upon had been tried and tested in 3 very popular souls games. So objectively you have to rate DeS/DS higher.

But all those future versions are far more than a rehash/reskin or pretty much the same formula for a newer console which is what GTA 5 did.

Ainu

I think you have to have experienced it at the time as there's no way it can impact someone the same years after.

Looking at movies, I can appreciate an older movie that might have left a massive footprint but it would unlikely make my GOAT list because my mind will already be filled with the films that came after (and probably took inspiration and bettered it).
Yes that's what I mean, if I didn't experience it, it would never make my own list. But I would respect its presence on a collective list if it was put on there by people who did experience it.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Yes that's what I mean, if I didn't experience it, it would never make my own list. But I would respect its presence on a collective list if it was put on there by people who did experience it.
Yes exactly.

Moby

Dick
Yes exactly.
Yeah, said the same earlier. If you weren't there to try the previous versions which actually set the stage then fair enough. I only played Oblivion in TES for example and I know people who played Morrowind would be saying that THAT is the real OG etc.

Basically we are bunch of old farts telling the kids everything they are doing has been done before. :lol:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
only glaring omission for me is any of the Zelda series. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a best of list without at least 1. (There would be 3 on it if I had my way)

But I’m not seeing anything else that is obvious. Halo 3 isn’t that good pal

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
only glaring omission for me is any of the Zelda series. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a best of list without at least 1. (There would be 3 on it if I had my way)

You are part of the problem

b82REZ

Exactly.

There's been too many people getting incredibly upset and in some cases insulting people's choices because their personal number 1 didn't get the votes it needed.

I find it mind blowing that no Zelda game, let alone BoTW didn't make the final shortlist. I'm not going round calling others moronic for that fact.

Gaming is a very subjective hobby. While there will be a lot of appreciation for certain genres and titles from the masses, for others those games are braindead or boring.

My tastes have changed as I've matured as a person. If this was done 10/15 years a go I probably would have voted for more FPS games, but nowadays I find them dull, for the most part.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Exactly.

There's been too many people getting incredibly upset and in some cases insulting people's choices because their personal number 1 didn't get the votes it needed.

I find it mind blowing that no Zelda game, let alone BoTW didn't make the final shortlist. I'm not going round calling others moronic for that fact.

Gaming is a very subjective hobby. While there will be a lot of appreciation for certain genres and titles from the masses, for others those games are braindead or boring.

My tastes have changed as I've matured as a person. If this was done 10/15 years a go I probably would have voted for more FPS games, but nowadays I find them dull, for the most part.
So true. Although you are all morons for not voting Tekken 3/Tag Tournament to make the finals :D

But in seriousness, any time anyone says what you have about Zelda, I get baffled too. Always thought they were some of the most beloved games, but in the many chances it had to make the final, it couldn't do it. Especially in Round 9, where it lost out to Goldeneye. Although, Goldeneye is a cracking game to be fair.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports

Yeah. Ocarina of Time not being on it is a genuine tragedy. That and Breath of the Wild would probably both be in my top 10.