Gaming Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (ROUND 9)

Red the Bear

Something less generic
:nervous:

In honesty, I got into gaming as I always used to play on my uncles Amiga 500. Eventually my parents bought me a Master System 2 and the ONLY game I had for a very long time is Alex Kidd. Me and my brother played it non-stop for years :lol:

It has a really special place in my childhood.
Fair enough. we all have one of those games , it's incredible how nostalgia affects our recollections.

Ainu

Great game that has one of the best art styles out there which really elevates it, but it's not even the defacto PC platformer so not surprising to be honest.

The whole its hard Shtick may have put of several people from trying it out.
Looking at its sales figures, I don't think it's that. Six million copies by Summer 2020, who knows how many since then. That's a lot for a niche title. However, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people bought it based on recommendations or reviews and found out that it perhaps wasn't really their thing after all.

I admit I'm one of those. The art style, audio design and creativity in boss design are phenomenal and I can see how this must be a dream game for anyone who likes this particular genre. It just didn't resonate with me and I suspect it's the same for a lot of others. Having said that, I had planned on returning to it one day. I've changed my mind on games before so sometimes it's just about being in the right frame of mind when trying out something new.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Looking at its sales figures, I don't think it's that. Six million copies by Summer 2020, who knows how many since then. That's a lot for a niche title. However, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people bought it based on recommendations or reviews and found out that it perhaps wasn't really their thing after all.

I admit I'm one of those. The art style, audio design and creativity in boss design are phenomenal and I can see how this must be a dream game for anyone who likes this particular genre. It just didn't resonate with me and I suspect it's the same for a lot of others. Having said that, I had planned on returning to it one day. I've changed my mind on games before so sometimes it's just about being in the right frame of mind when trying out something new.
Well that's fair, I'm a big fan of the early cartoon style watching them non stop as a kid so the art style was heaven for me, but even if you put all those aside it's still a very fun platformer runner shooter game with good design, replaybility and just a fun time to be had.

Definitely try it again it's worth it I think.

b82REZ

I'm currently playing Cuphead and would have put it on my list had I played it earlier. I'm surprised it didn't get a single vote in its round!
Indies in general have been massively underrepresented in these polls. I've tried to vote for a few (Isaac and Slay the Spire) but also you have to consider that these are niche titles to casual gamers.

I think if you were to do a round on Indies it'd get much less participation, but I'd expect Cuphead to poll highly within the people that do vote in that round.

b82REZ

Fair enough. we all have one of those games , it's incredible how nostalgia affects our recollections.
You're acting like Alex Kidd is some unknown game. For anyone who played games in the early 90s will have at least heard of it (it was built into the Master System). Add to that it received a remake last year shows there's certainly been an audience for Alex Kidd.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
You're acting like Alex Kidd is some unknown game. For anyone who played games in the early 90s will have at least heard of it (it was built into the Master System). Add to that it received a remake last year shows there's certainly been an audience for Alex Kidd.
I’d never heard of it until now.

diarm

1. Goldeneye
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. Alex Kidd - never in doubt.
4. Never played it
5. Half Life

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
You're not a real gamer.
Them’s fightin‘ words. :keano:

The system it was originally released on didn’t make a dent anywhere other than Europe and Brazil. I was playing Oregon Trail and Street Rod before most yous could grip a SNES controller.

b82REZ

Them’s fightin‘ words. :keano:

The system it was originally released on didn’t make a dent anywhere other than Europe and Brazil. I was playing Oregon Trail and Street Rod before most yous could grip a SNES controller.
I think it's always held a bit of a cult status. Like I said earlier it received a remake last year.

I loved Alex Kidd when I was growing up, not as much as the big main stream Sega games but I remember banging my head against it for hours and then leaving my Master System paused for days on end because you couldn't save.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Indies in general have been massively underrepresented in these polls. I've tried to vote for a few (Isaac and Slay the Spire) but also you have to consider that these are niche titles to casual gamers.

I think if you were to do a round on Indies it'd get much less participation, but I'd expect Cuphead to poll highly within the people that do vote in that round.
I had a different idea for final round but how would indie games work? How do you define indie?

@Dirty Schwein this is how we are gonna sneak Hollow Knight in.
If it don't make it, I'll just slip it into the final :lol:

1. Goldeneye
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. Sonic The Hedgehog 2
4. Never played it
5. Half Life
Nintendo: Goldeneye
PlayStation: Metal Gear Solid 2
Sega: Sonic 2
Xbox: n/a
PC: Command and Conquer: Generals
I hate both of you. Alex Kidd looked like making it in and then you two numpties come in with your Sonic 2 votes :(

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I had a different idea for final round but how would indie games work? How do you define indie?

If it don't make it, I'll just slip it into the final :lol:

I hate both of you. Alex Kidd looked like making it in and then you two numpties come in with your Sonic 2 votes :(
Sorry!

Also as an aside why do you support Luton? Live there?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Sorry!

Also as an aside why do you support Luton? Live there?
Hell no! Moved out of that place at my earliest chance.

I grew up there, which is why I support them. The town is a dump but the club is run really well.

For example, we were offered a very lucrative sponsorship deal from a betting company but turned it down as the Luton community has a huge gambling problem...

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Hell no! Moved out of that place at my earliest chance.

I grew up there, which is why I support them. The town is a dump but the club is run really well.

For example, we were offered a very lucrative sponsorship deal from a betting company but turned it down as the Luton community has a huge gambling problem...
Ha - I only asked because I too grew up there and I too moved out ASAP :lol:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It doesn't have the fame and notoriety that games like sonic have , not anywhere close. Also most people that I know of remember Sega because of the genesis or the mega drive as it called in the rest of the world, so I was surprised seeing Master system game so fondly remember over here.

b82REZ

Any game not made by a AAA studio. I'm sure there's a technical definition but generally they're made by small teams. I'd say usually a maximum of about 10 people working on it but that might not be a fair threshold.

b82REZ

It doesn't have the fame and notoriety that games like sonic have , not anywhere close. Also most people that I know of remember Sega because of the genesis or the mega drive as it called in the rest of the world, so I was surprised seeing Master system game so fondly remember over here.
The Master System was huge, in the UK at least.

Of course it wasn't as big as the flagship games, it's more akin to Kirby to Mario for example. Like I said anyone who owned a Master System owned Alex Kidd by default.

There's been an awful lot of recency bias in these polls as is natural as I'd imagine most of the participants weren't even born when consoles like the Master Sytem were around.

Ainu

Of course it wasn't as big as the flagship games, it's more akin to Kirby to Mario for example. Like I said anyone who owned a Master System owned Alex Kidd by default.

There's been an awful lot of recency bias in these polls as is natural as I'd imagine most of the participants weren't even born when consoles like the Master Sytem were around.
Most of the rounds were per generation, so not sure how recency bias could even come into play in those.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

It sold only 10 million unites compared to nes's 60, also sega at the time controlled a measly share of the market compared to Nintendo, so it didn't leave as much of cultural mark compared to Nintendo games.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Any game not made by a AAA studio. I'm sure there's a technical definition but generally they're made by small teams. I'd say usually a maximum of about 10 people working on it but that might not be a fair threshold.
I might actually do an indie round seen as this specific round lends itself to AAA titles.

b82REZ

It sold only 10 million unites compared to nes's 60, also sega at the time controlled a measly share of the market compared to Nintendo, so it didn't leave as much of cultural mark compared to Nintendo games.
Where did I say did?

Until the Mega Drive Nintendo had something absurd like a 98% market share on home consoles.

This isn't the argument anyway. You've tried to paint Alex Kidd as some unknown game. It wasn't, to the extent it received a remake less than a year a go.

The amount I'm going to bat for it I might change my vote this round @Dirty Schwein

b82REZ

Most of the rounds were per generation, so not sure how recency bias could even come into play in those.
Look at the contributions per round and the games being voted for this round. The older consoles received a lot less votes. It's not a complaint, just a reality. I'd imagine the average age of voters in these polls have been mid 20s.

Ainu

Look at the contributions per round and the games being voted for this round. The older consoles received a lot less votes. It's not a complaint, just a reality. I'd imagine the average age of voters in these polls have been mid 20s.
You mean less participants in the early rounds? Could be. You're saying mid 20s, hell I'm mid 30s and I still consider stuff like the Master System before my time. I don't expect many people under 40 to have played those systems extensively.

b82REZ

You mean less participants in the early rounds? Could be. You're saying mid 20s, hell I'm mid 30s and I still consider stuff like the Master System before my time. I don't expect many people under 40 to have played those systems extensively.
Im mid thirties and I owned and played a Master System all through my childhood. If I were Brazilian I'd probably still be playing it now (I believe it's still manufactured there).

The overall contribution definitely lends to recency bias. Games made from 2000 onwards are likely to end up in the upper echelons of the overall results. Especially if people are expected to vote from a shortlist towards the end.

For example a lot of people have voted for HK (understandably) but the games that inspired it barely got a look in.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Where did I say did?

Until the Mega Drive Nintendo had something absurd like a 98% market share on home consoles.

This isn't the argument anyway. You've tried to paint Alex Kidd as some unknown game. It wasn't, to the extent it received a remake less than a year a go.

The amount I'm going to bat for it I might change my vote this round @Dirty Schwein
You should :lol: but it'll still be one vote short :(

Bosws87

I'm mid 30's and started before master system, clearly remember having my own amstrad with burning rubber, simpsons space mutants and dizzy prince of the yolk folk.

Must of been an early bloomer.

Ainu

I'm mid 30's and started before master system, clearly remember having my own amstrad with burning rubber, simpsons space mutants and dizzy prince of the yolk folk.

Must of been an early bloomer.
Well mid 30s puts our year of birth roughly around the time the Master System was released. By the time I reached "video game age" (so to speak, let's put this at around 5 years old minimum), the SNES was already out there. Not that my parents got me one, had to wait for the PS1 until they got me a console. I blame them for my inability to vote in the earliest rounds. I could've spent my time playing SNES games instead of, I don't know, playing outside or something boring like that.

b82REZ

Well mid 30s puts our year of birth roughly around the time the Master System was released. By the time I reached "video game age" (so to speak, let's put this at around 5 years old minimum), the SNES was already out there. Not that my parents got me one, had to wait for the PS1 until they got me a console. I blame them for my inability to vote in the earliest rounds. I could've spent my time playing SNES games instead of, I don't know, playing outside or something boring like that.
I'm 35. I had a C64 from the age of about 3 and a Master System not long after that. Used to borrow my uncles SNES and Megadrive and then my parents bought me every console from PS1 onwards. My parents bought me a Gamegear and Gameboy during the SNES era because my TV in my bedroom broke and they wouldn't replace it and they didn't like me using the TV in the living room.

Bosws87

I'd agree obvious case of child cruelty :lol:

I've had every playstation on release day so i'm the total opposite

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Where did I say did?

I yield, but please don't change your vote for that accursed game.