Gareth Bale | Golfer, ex-Footballer, Elbower of racists, Philosopher, Golf Ambassador, Bar Owner, Real Legend, Defibrillator

[

Got a move to real Madrid
won back to back champions leagues
Scored wonder goals on the way
Took Wales to an unprecedented euros campaign
Easily in the top five welsh players ever, probably top and well appreciated.

It’s far far far from a waste of a career, I’d bet a high percentage of footballers would swap their careers for those highs
very Debatable to day prob no 1 Welsh player.

John Charles.

However, agree with everything else.

with today’s scrutiny, it’s sad to see someone fade. But at United we have our own great players fall from grace at a youngish age (for a number of reasons).

it’s not uncommon - just that the timing of that contract from Real Madrid was spectacularly bad. However, they had numerous opportunities to move him on and got greedy. So feck em.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not sure Bale has good seasons rather than good moments. He's a highlight reel and that is it.
He had a couple great seasons for spurs, one great season for us(the first) a great half season(because injuries) and one truly spectacular half year(2016) where he genuinely looked like possibly the best player in the world

Also a good season for spurs and one for us(though that one was a disappointment, because good isn't enough when you reach that level of expectation and money)

He's been done as a world class player since Kiev though. That was the last hurrah for him

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He had a couple great seasons for spurs, one great season for us(the first) a great half season(because injuries) and one truly spectacular half year(2016) where he genuinely looked like possibly the best player in the world

Also a good season for spurs and one for us(though that one was a disappointment, because good isn't enough when you reach that level of expectation and money)

He's been done as a world class player since Kiev though. That was the last hurrah for him
I get what you mean. I was more getting at the goals he scored in CL finals for you and the great season he had for Spurs in the CL that got him the move to Real. He seems completely demotivated now which is a shame, as other have said he might not have the pace he had but you do not lose the ability for passing and crossing.

Eriku

It’s game over once you reach that point, happened to so many players. Years of constant niggling injuries lead them to believe that they always feel something and that it’s better to rest it rather than risk injury. Problem is, as a professional sportsman, you’re very rarely going to feel 100% for long spells.
He’s done.
That’s what happened with Saha for us.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
very Debatable to day prob no 1 Welsh player.

John Charles.

However, agree with everything else.

with today’s scrutiny, it’s sad to see someone fade. But at United we have our own great players fall from grace at a youngish age (for a number of reasons).

it’s not uncommon - just that the timing of that contract from Real Madrid was spectacularly bad. However, they had numerous opportunities to move him on and got greedy. So feck em.
Yes John Charles would be number one and I can imagine my gramp giving me a slap for even suggesting it was Bale and not Charles :lol:

clarkydaz

Similar to Sturridge at Liverpool, Klopp got so frustrated he pretty much questioned whether its just in his head

Zen

Two world class wingers from the last decade.. Robben and Ribery. both had injuries. both played into their mid 30s at a top level. Both incredible.

Each case is different.. the injuries might have taken a lot out of Bale.. but wingers do play into the 30s at a high level.. its not exactly unheard of.
They weren't that incredible past 31/32 either actually.... and Bayern is the luxury of luxury teams to get away with playing half a season for really. Bale would get similar numbers if played for them and coasted to titles and cup contention, well them or PSG, but it shouldn't be seen as a surprise that they were CL contenders again once they left...

Robben's just generally a better player than Bale(and Ribery) though, so had the better highlights.

MattofManchester

He gives moments that remind you of just how good he was. But that's all. They're usually just one moment all he, and then disappears.

Seems like he should retire at this point. His fall from grace has been extreme.

The Purley King

He gives moments that remind you of just how good he was. But that's all. They're usually just one moment all he, and then disappears.

Seems like he should retire at this point. His fall from grace has been extreme.
He still has ~18 months left on a £600k per week contract.
Do you really think he will retire right now? And cost himself £10.8m plus all the associated loyalty bonuses ?
I bet he can buy some nice tailor made clubs with that sort of dough

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
What a waste of career, but earning that much money for sitting on bench and casual golfing during weekends, maybe he is very contented.
Pretty bizarre take. He had an immense career. Longevity is just one part of a career. He had won everything at club level and has reached a very high level of football.

clarkydaz

Do you really think he will retire right now? And cost himself £10.8m plus all the associated loyalty bonuses ?
Think i saw him break into a sprint tonight. probably a bonus for that aswell

Luke1995

Big question: If he doesn't play regularly, will he still get picked for Wales ?

There will be players in a good footballing moment, on the outside looking in, desperate for their chance.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
You've done the maths wrong...

18 months x 4 weeks x 600k per week = 43 million quid plus change.

Should set him up nicely for retirement...

GoldanoGraham

cast your minds back to September when people were wetting themselves when he signed for Spurs and everyone was fornicating at the Spurs front 3 of Kane, Son and Bale....

Very pleased that we dodged this bullet - in the recent past we may have taken him on loan, probably picking up his full salary.....

what he is earning now on his current performance/effort is nothing more than daylight robbery......

USREDEVIL

cast your minds back to September when people were wetting themselves when he signed for Spurs and everyone was fornicating at the Spurs front 3 of Kane, Son and Bale....

Very pleased that we dodged this bullet - in the recent past we may have taken him on loan, probably picking up his full salary.....

what he is earning now on his current performance/effort is nothing more than daylight robbery......
I recall the near circle jerk of posters literally soiling the website with their...ok I'll stop.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Have to admit, i got this wrong. Thought that he and Spurs could be like Henrik Larsson with Barca. A super-sub that could make a difference in those last 30 minutes, when the team needed a bit of spark.

Glorio

Has he been played as a CF at Spurs at all? (When Kane was injured maybe?). He may be more suited to make an impact there at this stage of his career

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Its clear Bale has decline, that much is obvious to anyone and its only natural as a player ages. The problem is that he checked out a few years ago at Mardid and not only was he not training well or playing well, mentally I think he wasn't there any more. Now, you can't go from that to all of a sudden turning it on just because you moved to a new club. At the very top level, even a small drop in mentality results in poor performances. But from Bale's perspective, he just has no desire, no motivation etc.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Inter Miami for a couple of seasons?... some good golfing out in Florida

Does not look to have much of a future in top flight European football but I believe he has around 70 weeks left on about half a million quid a week so probably another season sitting in the stands at Madrid next year before

Last edited:

el3mel

So what ? Is he regaining form out of nowhere ? His numbers last few games have been on the up.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
His left peg is still magical and he'll pop up with moments of pure genius from time to time but I doubt that this is a beginning of a genuine redemption story.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He looked really sharp today, not just the goals but his pace and his passing was very crisp. Linked up well with Kane and son. IF they could keep his physical and mental health fit they might have a strong finish to the season