Gareth Bale is...The most expensive player ever?!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Don't think their manager did but yes I agree with you, just going to have to be cold hard cash then, Madrid like deals like that.
It would take Bale himself saying he wants a move back to England, specifically to United, at which point we would simply buy him for a reduced rate to what they paid.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I meant 'Teenager'

Many, many people.
He was ranked #1 on Gazetta's Top 60 players under the age of 20 list as well. A few below average performances this season and a lot of folks have seemingly erased his 2013 performances from their memory.

Manucho the boss

Course it would be a stupid deal, this kid was been talked about as the best young player in Europe only few months ago, just because he's been a bit crap recently means nothing, in 2-3 years he could easily be our best player, and worth considerably more than Bale.

Of course he could go the other way, but i'd be gutted if we did a deal like this with him.
No he wasn't, if he had a great World Cup then the hype would have grown a lot. Maybe his agent said this to get him a big contract with us but we'd be fools to believe it.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
If Januzaj plus £40 million for Bale became an option, I'd go for it all day.
Obviously Madrid wouldn't even entertain it though.

Manucho the boss

Bale rejected us, f*ck him. If players don't want to play for us when we offer them the best deal then why chase them after that?

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
If Januzaj plus £40 million for Bale became an option, I'd go for it all day.
Obviously Madrid wouldn't even entertain it though.
I'm pretty certain most United fans would've accepted C Ronaldo + £40 million for Ronaldo or Zidane in 2004 too. Of course now we have the benefit of hindsight to categorically say it would've been a monumental disaster but one never knows how talented young players might develop given time and patience. We should try to get Bale provided Madrid are willing (no signs of it yet) but asset stripping by getting rid of De Gea or Januzaj in exchange is not the way forward. I'm also of the opinion that many United supporters under-rate our players, Pogba wasn't considered much cop either by a section of fans until he left and we got to see his potential blossom at Juventus.

Manucho the boss

I'm pretty certain most United fans would've accepted C Ronaldo + £40 million for Ronaldo or Zidane in 2004 too. Of course now we have the benefit of hindsight to categorically say it would've been a monumental disaster but one never knows how talented young players might develop given time and patience. We should try to get Bale provided Madrid are willing (no signs of it yet) but asset stripping by getting rid of De Gea or Januzaj in exchange is not the way forward. I'm also of the opinion that many United supporters under-rate our players, Pogba wasn't considered much cop either by a section of fans until he left and we got to see his potential blossom at Juventus.
Only the ones that never watched him play and just followed Fergie's opinion without thought.

Anyway it's too early to say what way Januzaj will go, could end up the next Bojan (similar build and style of player) rather than the next Ronaldo or Pogba.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Bale rejected us, f*ck him. If players don't want to play for us when we offer them the best deal then why chase them after that?
Because we're interested in building a world class side and he's a top 10 world class footballer. Whether or not he wanted to play for us two summers ago is utterly irrelevant.

Speak

Personally, I just saw something in Ronaldo that meant I was more certain (you can never be fully certain) that he'd become great. So I wouldn't have taken such a deal involving Zidane.

Pogba just had a bit of everything. Again I always saw him becoming a good player. And more than anything - we had space for him. He was tailored made for our weakest spot in the team.
However, had someone offered me Modric in return, I'd probably have taken it. And would still go for Modric over him now.

I guess it's easy to say now though, and maybe I wouldn't have seen it this way back then.

As for Januzaj - I just don't see him in the same way others do. I'll be surprised if he hits the heights some (most?) United fans predict. I think some United players are underrated and some are overrated by United fans. Heck - maybe I am underrating him here right here.

I also think Bale is that rare type of match-winner that takes a team to a new level. Me being up for that deal probably says more about how good I think Bale is (and would be here) than anything against Januzaj.

Last edited:

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Only the ones that never watched him play and just followed Fergie's opinion without thought.

Anyway it's too early to say what way Januzaj will go, could end up the next Bojan (similar build and style of player) rather than the next Ronaldo or Pogba.
IIRC there were plenty of people who watched him regularly in the reserves and were underwhelmed by his performances, which were admittedly subdued for the large part.

Totally agree with the second sentence though, it's a bit of crap-shot at times with youngsters. Even Ronaldo could've turned into the next Eusebio or Figo (like he thankfully did and maybe even exceeded wrt the latter); or descend into a Quaresma level waste of talent. We'll just have to wait and see with Adnan I guess. :)

That said, lots of players from within United have talked at length about Januzaj's potential. Van Persie called him one of the 2 best young players he's ever seen. Pretty bold statement when one considers he saw Ibrahimovic, Robben, Sneijder etc at close quarters in Holland, and Cesc, Nasri etc at Arsenal. Mata mentioned Adnan in an interview and said that the sky is the limit for him. And Fletcher said he's right up there with a young Ronaldo and Rooney. Considering these are people who train with him on a daily basis, I pay a lot of credence to their assessments.

Because we're interested in building a world class side and he's a top 10 world class footballer. Whether or not he wanted to play for us two summers ago is utterly irrelevant.
Exactly. As an example Van der Sar rejected our offer to succeed Schmeichel in favor of signing up for Juventus. United's primary motive should be improving the first team squad, not seek a game on one-upmanship.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I also think Bale is that rare type of match-winner that takes a team to a new level.
Was he thus at Januzaj's age ? When his club weren't winning any games he was starting in (20 match 'Curse of Bale' streak IIRC) ? While Harry and a majority of Spurs supporters wanted to get rid ?

Adnan has lots of time to grow, let's not jettison him at the risk of ruing that decision at a later date. Not saying it'll definitely happen, but IMO he's a massive talent that can be a top top player for United for the next 10-15 years. If he does, I'm sure those that didn't rate him will claim they always held the opinion that he would be special, resembling the retrospective claims wrt Pogba in that sense.

Moriarty

Personally, I just saw something in Ronaldo that meant I was more certain (you can never be fully certain) that he'd become great. So I wouldn't have taken such a deal involving Zidane.

Pogba just had a bit of everything. Again I always saw him becoming a good player. And more than anything - we had space for him. He was tailored made for our weakest spot in the team.
However, had someone offered me Modric in return, I'd probably have taken it. And would still go for Modric over him now.

I guess it's easy to say now though, and maybe I wouldn't have seen it this way back then.

As for Januzaj - I just don't see him in the same way others do. I'll be surprised if he hits the heights some (most?) United fans predict. I think some United players are underrated and some are overrated by United fans. Heck - maybe I am underrating him here right here.

I also think Bale is that rare type of match-winner that takes a team to a new level. Me being up for that deal probably says more about how good I think Bale is (and would be here) than anything against Januzaj.
I remember him coming on against Bolton and within a minute or two, the whole ground was buzzing. Same when Rooney made his debut. Januzaj is having a bit of second-season syndrome but he's shown that he's good enough. I know that managers have to juggle the squad but some players, Nani for example, really excel when they get a run in the side. Maybe this is what Januzaj needs to get his season going properly. They did hand him Giggs' old number after all.

NK86

I meant in terms of hitting new heights, if you cared to read down the same post you'll see I jokingly posted that Messi and Ronaldo are in a different league.
He hit new heights but that was nothing compared to what Ronaldo achieved. Point is there are many players out there who hit a new height and Bale's was excellent but he was still nowhere compared to Ronaldo. The 80mil price tag was and still is outrageous for him.

C'est Moi Cantona

No he wasn't, if he had a great World Cup then the hype would have grown a lot. Maybe his agent said this to get him a big contract with us but we'd be fools to believe it.

Yes he was, like I said I did mean teenager but he certainly was, and there is no way we were duped into giving him a big contract, we had to pay him more than the average at that age to make sure we kept him, and not feck up again like we did with Pogba.

PvsNP

Just forget about him, he isn't a realistic target anyway. We should go for Shaqiri, I think he is ready for the next step.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Yes he was, like I said I did mean teenager but he certainly was, and there is no way we were duped into giving him a big contract, we had to pay him more than the average at that age to make sure we kept him, and not feck up again like we did with Pogba.
He's not the best teenager in Europe.

C'est Moi Cantona

He's not the best teenager in Europe.
My point was he was been banded about as such very recently, just a few sub standard performances from the lad under yet another completely new management team and 'philosophy' for him to adapt to and he's suddenly crap according to some.

My ultimate point was that £40 million, and him for Bale would be a stupid thing for us to do, but it seems many would happily do it.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
My point was he was been banded about as such very recently, just a few sub standard performances from the lad under yet another completely new management team and 'philosophy' for him to adapt to and he's suddenly crap according to some.

My ultimate point was that £40 million, and him for Bale would be a stupid thing for us to do, but it seems many would happily do it.
He's 19. It'll take him years to reach Bale's level (if he ever does). I could maybe see your point if he was a local academy graduate but if I was a United fan I'd rather have Bale now than a potential world class Januzaj in 5 years time.

C'est Moi Cantona

He's 19. It'll take him years to reach Bale's level (if he ever does). I could maybe see your point if he was a local academy graduate but if I was a United fan I'd rather have Bale now than a potential world class Januzaj in 5 years time.
I wouldn't, no chance.

Manucho the boss

I really don't get the fuss with Adnan. Over rated IMHO. Sterling is at least a level above at the moment
He's showed glimpses of quality but people certainly went overboard after the 2 goals against Sunderland.

He showed his lack of maturity in the cup match against Sunderland and struggled for form after that.

Trizy

I really don't get the fuss with Adnan. Over rated IMHO. Sterling is at least a level above at the moment
Well to be fair he came into a season managed by Moyes and at 18 was our most important player for a long period of time, apart from Sterling what other young attacking players have lit the league up like that in a while? Of course he has faded an awful lot since then.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He's showed glimpses of quality but people certainly went overboard after the 2 goals against Sunderland.

He showed his lack of maturity in the cup match against Sunderland and struggled for form after that.
True

He's just as likely to go the way of Macheda as he is to be the next Giggs

golden_blunder

Staff
Well to be fair he came into a season managed by Moyes and at 18 was our most important player for a long period of time, apart from Sterling what other young attacking players have lit the league up like that in a while? Of course he has faded an awful lot since then.
He came into a side that was playing shit and showed no hunger to get out of it. Was he really that good or were the others do bad that it made him look a lot better to us?

SteveW

He came into a side that was playing shit and showed no hunger to get out of it. Was he really that good or were the others do bad that it made him look a lot better to us?
He was excellent. You and a few others here have short memories. He's a superb footballer. Balanced, clever, good dribbler, great vision and weight of pass, very good touch and skill in tight areas and an eye for goal. I can think of very few young footballers as good as him at that age. Moyes and RVP said he was one of the best players of his age they had ever seen.

A few poor performances this season and people start to rewrite history. He was dropped for long periods without really doing anything wrong. It's clearly affected his confidence a bit. It happens to young players. To compare him to Macheda is laughable also. Macheda was extremely raw and still is. I personally never thought he'd make it here. Januzaj is a much more talented and polished player and has already shown much more than Macheda ever did.

Speak

Yeah, I don't see him ending up like Macheda at all. He's already shown much much more.
That being said, I don't see him ending up as good as some of the players that often get brought up either.

If I had to predict now, I'd say he'll end up at around Nasri's level. Which isn't too shabby.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

SoCross

What about a De Gea-Bale swap with a few million thrown Madrid's way? I see those vultures swooping in for Dave at some point :(

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What about a De Gea-Bale swap with a few million thrown Madrid's way? I see those vultures swooping in for Dave at some point :(
No thank you.

Dave > Gareth

golden_blunder

Staff
Macheda was and is a good player, his problem was bad loans and never getting enough time on the pitch. Not a very good comparison
Only threw Macheda in there as someone who was over-hyped and ultimately didn't make it at United (for whatever reason)

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bale would be a sensation for us we can live and dream (exactly what we need) would let Di Maria run riot in midfield also.