Gareth Bale is...The most expensive player ever?!

NK86

Personally, I just saw something in Ronaldo that meant I was more certain (you can never be fully certain) that he'd become great. So I wouldn't have taken such a deal involving Zidane.

Pogba just had a bit of everything. Again I always saw him becoming a good player. And more than anything - we had space for him. He was tailored made for our weakest spot in the team.
However, had someone offered me Modric in return, I'd probably have taken it. And would still go for Modric over him now.

I guess it's easy to say now though, and maybe I wouldn't have seen it this way back then.

As for Januzaj - I just don't see him in the same way others do. I'll be surprised if he hits the heights some (most?) United fans predict. I think some United players are underrated and some are overrated by United fans. Heck - maybe I am underrating him here right here.

I also think Bale is that rare type of match-winner that takes a team to a new level. Me being up for that deal probably says more about how good I think Bale is (and would be here) than anything against Januzaj.
Will we see you here in 5 years time repeating "Personally, I just saw something in Januzaj (Ronaldo) that meant I was more certain (you can never be fully certain) that he'd become great. So I wouldn't have taken such a deal involving Bale (Zidane)"?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Not quite true. Edwards had agreed a deal with Bosnich and Van der Saar knew of this. There was never a formal offer to Edwin. SAF has stated such.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...n-der-Sar-in-1999-says-Sir-Alex-Ferguson.html
Not quite true. Formal offers are often the last step of the transfer process - and made only when all the strings have been tied together, both with the seller club and the player (and his representatives). The intent was clearly there with Edwin in 1999, as it was with Neuer in 2011 and (possibly) Bale in 2013.

Moving on to your playing career, Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted several times now, that you were his pick to replace Peter Schmeichel in '99. However, you ended up choosing Juventus that summer. Why do you think your transfer did not materialize back then?

Well, I told Ajax that I was leaving that summer and several clubs in Europe were interested in my signature. Sir Alex turned up a little bit late as I had already held talks with Juventus - and we came to a verbal agreement.

So, I think Ferguson wanted me but Ajax chairman was expecting more money from my transfer move.

Of course, I eventually moved to Manchester United later in my career but it is always good to hear from a top manager like Sir Alex that he made a mistake by not signing me a few years earlier. But then, I still managed to win 4 league titles and 1 Champions League trophy in my six years at Old Trafford - Not bad, is it?
http://www.sportskeeda.com/football...hampions-league-2008-unbelievable-moment-life

Oo0AahCantona

Just watched his interview on the bbc website after the wales game, and noticed something that had me in stiches, he goes "its not about me its about the whole team" and he's in a gareth bale 11 hat xD

Devil may care

Loads of players do it, isn't it some international symbol of love or peace or something that was started to bridge language barriers in sport?

The last few times I have watched Wales play it's clear Bale gives the team a belief that they can win, thew whole team seems to step up a gear.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Bale would be fantastic, but we do need to buy him now to get a full 6-7 years out of him.

As for Januzaj, its better to look at him as a promising youth player who if he develops, may become a consistent starting XI player, rather than calling him special or comparing him at 18 to Ronaldo at 18 such as some in the Januzaj thread have done. He may become a great player or he may never reach his potential. We can't predict what will happen and nearly all of it will depend on his own aptitude to develop a proper football brain.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Loads of players do it, isn't it some international symbol of love or peace or something that was started to bridge language barriers in sport?

The last few times I have watched Wales play it's clear Bale gives the team a belief that they can win, thew whole team seems to step up a gear.
More like an international symbol of being a tit

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
So many started doing it, every fecking time. Gotze came up with a mutated version of XOXO. fecking hell. I like Mullers celebration, just stand and scream.
Best ever was cantonas arrogant what? I know I'm awesome one where he just stood there and looked like a god

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
#mufc have been told they can sign Gareth Bale as long as David De Gea is included in a deal. [men]

On my phone so can't post the tweet properly, but I'd be against this, unless there is no way to keep De Gea. Id keep De Gea at all costs, but if his heart is set on leaving and we can't do anything about it, I'd take a straight swap probably. Only if there's no way to keep De Gea though.

Devil may care

#mufc have been told they can sign Gareth Bale as long as David De Gea is included in a deal. [men]

On my phone so can't post the tweet properly, but I'd be against this, unless there is no way to keep De Gea. Id keep De Gea at all costs, but if his heart is set on leaving and we can't do anything about it, I'd take a straight swap probably. Only if there's no way to keep De Gea though.
I don't want us to lose De Gea so I'd hope this would only be done if he tells the club he wants to leave, but there is no way Real are going to do a straight swap for the most expensive player in football history with a keeper who has a year left on his contract. We'll have to throw in another £60M at least.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
They're not having Dave. I don't care if i have to watch Valencia doing his best impression of a one-legged man for the next 2 years, he's going nowhere.

bosnian_red

I don't want us to lose De Gea so I'd hope this would only be done if he tells the club he wants to leave, but there is no way Real are going to do a straight swap for the most expensive player in football history with a keeper who has a year left on his contract. We'll have to throw in another £60M at least.
feck the 60m, De Gea is a better keeper then Bale is as a winger, is younger, and there are less quality keepers around. The 1 year left would make it difficult though... Even so, I still wouldn't give too much on top of De Gea, for a player who probably won't be starting every week soon, with James and Isco just being more talented.

Jaytay

Gareth Bale does not want to play for Manchester United, he is playing with one of his idols and a team he was adamant in joining. Unless Real Madrid slash his wages and bench him for half their games he won't leave.

Devil may care

feck the 60m, De Gea is a better keeper then Bale is as a winger, is younger, and there are less quality keepers around. The 1 year left would make it difficult though... Even so, I still wouldn't give too much on top of De Gea, for a player who probably won't be starting every week soon, with James and Isco just being more talented.
Regardless of how you rate him in regards to Isco and James or in positional comparison to De Gea, that is still roughly the amount we'd have to add to De Gea if the deal was put on the table and De Gea told us he wanted to go.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
De Gea's brilliant but it's inevitable he'll go back to Spain and if he's interested in going to Madrid then getting Bale in return is the best we could hope for really.

C'est Moi Cantona

Unless De Gea signs then he's off in the summer anyway, as there is no way we'll let him go for nothing, might as well get Bale in on the deal if it has to be that way.

Devil may care

De Gea's brilliant but it's inevitable he'll go back to Spain and if he's interested in going to Madrid then getting Bale in return is the best we could hope for really.
He only has two options in Spain and Barca are set for keepers aren't they? So basically it means he'll go the bitter enemies of the club he grew up in. If you're right though I dread to think what we are going to do for a keeper, there aren't many impressive ones out there.

bosnian_red

He only has two options in Spain and Barca are set for keepers aren't they? So basically it means he'll go the bitter enemies of the club he grew up in. If you're right though I dread to think what we are going to do for a keeper, there aren't many impressive ones out there.
Lets just hope he extends his contract and we keep him for another 4-5 years yet at least.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I would love Bale to come to United - he would be my number one choice ahead of any other player in world football

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Not quite true. Formal offers are often the last step of the transfer process - and made only when all the strings have been tied together, both with the seller club and the player (and his representatives). The intent was clearly there with Edwin in 1999, as it was with Neuer in 2011 and (possibly) Bale in 2013.

http://www.sportskeeda.com/football...hampions-league-2008-unbelievable-moment-life

Sir Alex clearly states this
"I tried to replace Schmeichel, but that was very difficult," Ferguson said. "We went for Fabien Barthez and he did well for a while, but he then had his own situations, so we went for Edwin [2005].

"We really should have gone for him when Schmeichel left, but [former chairman] Martin Edwards had an agreement with Mark Bosnich at the time that took the wind out of our sails. So we couldn't get Edwin, but I'd have loved to have got him then."

That's from SAF's mouth. Nowhere does he state he attempted to sign Edwin in 1999. I have heard the club contacted Edwin but he had already signed with Juventus.

ricky-romeo

if not for the existence of messi and ronaldo, bale would probably be considered as the best footballer at this moment.

shame we didn't really use giggs to get him in the past. if he is going to leave real, i would consider us the favourite to get him though..

bucky

if not for the existence of messi and ronaldo, bale would probably be considered as the best footballer at this moment.

shame we didn't really use giggs to get him in the past. if he is going to leave real, i would consider us the favourite to get him though..
No, he wouldn't.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member

No.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

His current form this season wouldn't even put him in the top 5 Non Messi/Ronaldo group in my opinion.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool

Not a chance. He's had a pretty average season so far, maybe his output says otherwise (not sure what his goals and assists are) but performances are barely top 5 in the Real Madrid team.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Not at all IMO.

Zlatan, Robben, Suarez, Aguero.

But yeah, he'd be, and is much closer to that lot, then that lot is to the "top 2". If that makes sense.

Cina

He definitely needs a team built around him to play at his best, not being 2nd/3rd fiddle somewhere. Just look at how good he was in his last season at Spurs, in what was a fairly average side. I can see Real making him their star man as Ronaldo declines and he hits his peak.

Jaytay

Er no, there's Robben, Agüero, Suarez, Lahm, Hazard and many more.