Gareth Bale is...The most expensive player ever?!

AlwaysRedwood

Doesnt matter if it were a genuine discussion or if you were trying to have a little fun "banter". It's still a spastic discussion that clogged up almost an entire page adding nothing to the discussion.
It's so sad when a message board goes off discussion. So hard to skip ahead 10 comments.

The Neviller

Doesnt matter if it were a genuine discussion or if you were trying to have a little fun "banter". It's still a spastic discussion that clogged up almost an entire page adding nothing to the discussion.
Lighten up, it was a bit of banter. The interweb isn't always serious business you know.

The Neviller

The main reason I even got involved in the discussion on the PFA award was Glastons insistence that Bale winning the award was proof of his consistency, when in fact it came about because he stood out in a couple of games in a competition that shouldn't be taken into account in the first place with regards to the particular award. What really did Bale do in the English game last year? Did he stand out? I don't think he particularly did, and as has been mentioned there were quite a few players better. My stance is valid, and the discussion has gone to prove it I feel rather than negate it, good player who has been overhyped by the media looking for a new British hero.

Edmeiste

My point is that the stronger terms are approprate for the game in question, but you implied that they aren't.

As for consistency, does 8 goals and 5 assists (so far this season) count for anything? Or how about being voted PFA player of the year last time around?
You never broke down those stats. Let's think about Berba for a second. He scored a hat-trick against Wigan the other day. Let's say he scored another hattrick in another game and then two goals sparsely throughout. Let's also say the assists were in a relatively short period of time as well. Now does that show consistency or just a high output in a short period of time? Those stats look good but I think they require deeper reflection. I'm sure you can provide that.

Edmeiste

Neviller, I feel like I can argue with Glaston on anything but Bale. I mean it's getting ridiculous. I looked back a couple of pages. You say a fair point and Glaston ignores about half of it to pick out something small or something that you might not have even said. It's ridiculous

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I would like Bale on the left wing for United with Nani on the right, but I also find Bale vastly overrated, which usually occurs when he manages a couple goals once in a blue moon. He's suddenly the best thing on the planet after said event. Then he disappears for a few weeks.

Edmeiste

Shit marcello, i didn't realize that all this time you were a fellow american. Anyway, I agree. I think Bale is talented but I'm getting tired of people putting him on astronomical levels. I dont mind talking about a player you rate highly but when you fail to talk about with some control, it just gets annoying. I love Nani but I can keep my emotions in check while having a debate it and just talk about his performances, stats if need be, and his development. How hard is that to do without exaggerating? I think we could actually have a good debate on Bale but it all gets lost when you get carried away.

Gee Male

I love how this post below in itself shows just how much Bale has been overhyped by everyone to the extent that history has begun to be re-written. See the bolded part below.

Yep, I disagree. Bale is much more than just a "good player" - he's an exceptional talent.

As for the hype - what do you expect? Not many wingers score a hat-trick playing away against Inter (the reigning Champions let's not forget) for a team that's been reduced to 10 men ... and in the process tearing to absolute shreds a player who was widely regarded as one of the best right-backs in the world.

Frankly, it was an almost super-human performance that single-handedly dragged Spurs back into contention for the two-legged tie when they were otherwise facing obliteration. It stands out as one of the most memorable performances by any player in the CL in recent times

As for the continued hype, well, again what do you expect? Bale continued to destroy Maicon and Inter in the return leg and has basically improved from there. Some of his goals since have been absolute stunners and the amount of goal-scoring chances he creates for himself and others is truly exceptional.

Pundits are swayed by exciting players and Bale is often so direct, bold and electric that the excitement is hard to deny. So why shouldn't he be hyped? It's players like him who help make the game glorious.

So no, I actually don't think that he is especially over-rated, except at the extreme margins.
Bale's performances against Inter thereby portrayed as a "super-human" effort to drag Spurs through "the two-legged tie" at a time that they faced "obliteration".

When in actual fact, the hat trick came in a game that they were already 4-0 down in and playing for 80 minutes with 10 men (minimum pressure on the players on the pitch then, with the opposition most definitely switched off) with two of the three goals coming in injury time.

Not to mention the fact that the "two legged tie" was in actual fact part of the group stages of the CL, in a group where Spurs had already 4 points from their first two games - hardly facing obliteration.

But anyway, let's jump on the bandwagon and declare the whole thing "super human".

I've nothing against Bale mind, he's a very good player, but the tendency to overhype any British player who happens to be on form never ceases to amaze me.

Edmeiste

I love how this post below in itself shows just how much Bale has been overhyped by everyone to the extent that history has begun to be re-written. See the bolded part below.

Bale's performances against Inter thereby portrayed as a "super-human" effort to drag Spurs through "the two-legged tie" at a time that they faced "obliteration".

When in actual fact, the hat trick came in a game that they were already 4-0 down in and playing for 80 minutes with 10 men (minimum pressure on the players on the pitch then, with the opposition most definitely switched off) with two of the three goals coming in injury time.

Not to mention the fact that the "two legged tie" was in actual fact part of the group stages of the CL, in a group where Spurs had already 4 points from their first two games - hardly facing obliteration.

But anyway, let's jump on the bandwagon and declare the whole thing "super human".

I've nothing against Bale mind, he's a very good player, but the tendency to overhype any British player who happens to be on form never ceases to amaze me.
Exactly. Yet Glaston refuses to see it. It's so obvious

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Speaking of Bale, does anyone understand his goal celebrations against Norwich?
The home crowd were probably singing ape songs about him and when he scored he went ape shit. Or sommit.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Glaston never answered my questions either. Impossible to talk about Bale with.

The Neviller

Good post. So yeah, Bales superhuman effort in Milan earned Spurs a 4-3 defeat instead of 4-0 and won them precisely zero points towards qualification from the group stages.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
"superhuman" was a huge stretch by the media

however, he did score a hatrick against one of the stronger teams in Europe, so kudos to him for that.

Moonwalker

Glaston went a bit too far, which we've come to expect from him anyway, but now you're giving him a run for his money with a ridiculous statement like that.

Going down to 10 men, is never easy, psychological boost or not. When you play with one less body to aim for in the build up for 80 minutes it's very hard to even trouble the opposition most times, or just have a shot on goal, never mind scoring a hat-trick, and going close to scoring a fourth in the dying minutes, tormenting them all game. I don't know if it was 'superhuman' or not, but that was a damn good performance.

With hindsight that wasn't crucial for them qualifying, but in the event that both teams finished with the same number of points it would have been, which is why it was important at the time.

Gee Male

Glaston went a bit too far, which we've come to expect from him anyway, but now you're giving him a run for his money with a ridiculous statement like that.

Going down to 10 men, is never easy, psychological boost or not. When you play with one less body to aim for in the build up for 80 minutes it's very hard to even trouble the opposition most times, or just have a shot on goal, never mind scoring a hat-trick, and going close to scoring a fourth in the dying minutes, tormenting them all game. I don't know if it was 'superhuman' or not, but that was a damn good performance.

With hindsight that wasn't crucial for them qualifying, but in the event that both teams finished with the same number of points it would have been, which is why it was important at the time.
Yeah, fine, I'll admit to a bit of hyperbole in that part of the post, but the point I was making was that the supposedly "super-human" effort by Spurs came at a time when the opposition had stopped playing due to the game being won, and managed to let in two goals in injury time. Exaggerating a point maybe, but hardly a ridiculous summary of the game.

Again, I've nothing against Bale and I really like Spurs, but the overhype went into overdrive after that game and unnecessarily so.

Skholesy

"etard" is not a word. That's why I said you took at "R" and put other words on the end.

"Retard" is a word, but you kept the "R" from Redwood, so it was not a full word substitution.

"edwood" is also not a word.

Let me know if you need anymore clarification of what you've written and what you haven't.
I thought etard was a word...a retard with an internet connection, access to forums and too much time on his hands...

You know, email, ebuyer, ebay, etard....

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

You are right on one thing: I got carried away in describing it as a two-legged tie when it wasn't, and thus the "obliteration" comment should have referred to the match in question.

But that doesn't change the essence of my post, namely that for a left winger (not a striker, remember) to score a hat-trick at the San Siro with the team down to 10 men, with each goal being a peach, can be fairly described as an "almost superhuman performance", especially considering that the first 2 goals were virtually solo efforts that began from around the half way line.

It was one of the most memorable individual performances in the CL by any player in recent times.

Gee Male

You are right on one thing: I got carried away in describing it as a two-legged tie when it wasn't, and thus the "obliteration" comment should have referred to the match in question.

But that doesn't change the essence of my post, namely that for a left winger (not a striker, remember) to score a hat-trick at the San Siro with the team down to 10 men, with each goal being a peach, can be fairly described as an "almost superhuman performance", especially considering that the first 2 goals were virtually solo efforts that began from around the half way line.

It was one of the most memorable individual performances in the CL by any player in recent times.
I'm not going to argue with any of your post, him being a Spurs player and you being a Spurs fan means there's little point. As I've said, he's a good player and Spurs are a likeable club, it's just the overhype endemic in the media when any British player is playing well that was reflected in your original post that I had an issue with.

Plan M

If Bale wore an alice band and had a sexy Argentinian or Portugese surname, the Caf would love him :drool:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Journalists are doing Bale no favours at all - The Times' James Lawton continues to sink into insanity by writing that Bale is the most exciting British talent since Best; Patrick Barclay at least admitted he was drunk when he described GB as the best in the world bar Xavi.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Bale is quality and will get better.

Would I put him with the best in the world...not quite yet. He has the potential to be magic though. He's certainly got the ability to get on the scoresheet regular as well.

Impressed by him.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
:lol:

"almost superhuman performance"....

Well that's set the bar pretty high.

red2deadboy

Mate - though you make a number of good points above, you also have to recognise what also made Bale's performance memorable was that it was executed against a player who was considered to be one of the best RB's in the world (Maicon). Irrespective of whether players switches off, it was a hattrick against the CL Holders, and not against some european lightweight. Credit where credit is due.....because if Nani had done the same would we not all have had our c*cks out proclaiming him the next big thing.

The Neviller

Mate - though you make a number of good points above, you also have to recognise what also made Bale's performance memorable was that it was executed against a player who was considered to be one of the best RB's in the world (Maicon). Irrespective of whether players switches off, it was a hattrick against the CL Holders, and not against some european lightweight. Credit where credit is due.....because if Nani had done the same would we not all have had our c*cks out proclaiming him the next big thing.
Nani almost single handedly tore Bayern apart in a match we ultimately lost. In fact, we didnt lose the match, we won 3-2, but lost the tie. I didnt see the British press hail him the second coming of the man of steel.

The Neviller

Journalists are doing Bale no favours at all - The Times' James Lawton continues to sink into insanity by writing that Bale is the most exciting British talent since Best; Patrick Barclay at least admitted he was drunk when he described GB as the best in the world bar Xavi.
I mentioned that best since Best thing earlier in the thread, apparently disagreeing with it equals under rating Bale or some such.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Hold the horses man, U gadda be kidding me. I don't want to take anything away from Bale, a very good player who outpaced Maicon twice and made two great goals against a sloppy team who had take the foot of the pedal but his overall performance was not sensational.

The Neviller

See, this is where it gets ridiculous Glaston. This is a prime example of the very hyperbole that's used to overrate Bale. I can't take anything you say about Bale seriously when these are the kind of things you say.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

I don't see how it can be regarded as one of the most memorable performances. He did great to grab a hat-trick, but it ultimately meant nothing in that match, as Spurs still went on to lose. Would he have been able to do that if the game had still been poised at 0-0? Possibly, but it would have been much harder for him to do.

If I'm being honest, there are several performances in recent years I would rate higher than Bale's. Take Iniesta in the 2009 final as an example. Not only was he mesmorising throughout that game, he helped his side to win it. Bale, despite what he did, still played in a team that lost the game.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
See, this is where it gets ridiculous Glaston. This is a prime example of the very hyperbole that's used to overrate Bale. ...
I don't see it as ridculous.

When was the last time in the CL that a winger scored a hat-trick, away from home, with his team reduced to 10 men, against the reigning champions?

It was an amazing individual performance that epitomises Bale's sheer drive and talent. If you can't see that then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I don't see it as ridculous.

When was the last time in the CL that a winger scored a hat-trick, away from home, with his team reduced to 10 men, against the reigning champions?

It was an amazing individual performance that epitomises Bale's sheer drive and talent. If you can't see that then we'll just have to agree to disagree.
I think you don't seem to recognise the difference between a superhuman performance and a very good performance. At the end of the day, what Bale did was very impressive, but he did it when his side were 4-0 down and facing defeat. Who won the game in the end? Inter Milan. I doubt that their players were overly concerned with what he did, because it turned out to be rather meaningless. If he had scored the 4th and actually salvaged something from the match for Spurs, then I could see where you're coming from, but the fact is that it meant nothing in the end.