Gareth Bale is...The most expensive player ever?!

Mickey

Stop paying attention to this a while ago
"The best left sided player in europe" Some plonker on sky.

And also, hes worth "5 or 6 more times now, then when he was bought," That would mean £25mil to 30mil.

Very good player, would gladly have him at united in a heart beat, but the best left sided player in europe? Do sky just live on hyperboles?

Sylar

Would take him or Adam Johnson. Shame we didnt get either.

Given the market rate, he probably would go for 30m. Not that I believe thats his value, but in a way, it would be.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It's early days for him but I can't think of many better when you look at his form at the back end of last season and the start of this.

Also, if anyone was to try and buy him Spurs would be asking for at least £30mil I would have thought.

cj_sparky

He may well be the best in Europe in his current form, can't think of many players that have performed better than him during the period between the tail end of last season and his start to this.

I think he is a better player than Milner so in the current market £25-30m isn't unrealistic, not that I'd pay that sort of money for him.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
... And also, hes worth "5 or 6 more times now, then when he was bought," That would mean £25mil to 30mil.
He was bought for 9m in the end. So 5 or 6 times that would be 45 - 54m: the bottom end figure sounds about right ;)

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah, good player with a great (present &) future, but calling him the best left sided midfielder atm is knee jerk of the highest order.

Interestingly who would that be, in your books? Ozil? (i haven't seen him that much, except for at the WC). Malouda must be in with a shout - if you can classify him as a LW. Left sided player is also vague. Does he mean someone who can play in both defence and attack or is he simply referring to LM or LW? :confused:

Karel_Poborsky

He's good but he constantly gets outpaced by every man and his dog which annoys me. For me to consider him on the level sky are rating him, I would have to see him prove he can play like he is for a full season, rather than just parts of last and the start of this.

Carl

He's good but he constantly gets outpaced by every man and his dog which annoys me. For me to consider him on the level sky are rating him, I would have to see him prove he can play like he is for a full season, rather than just parts of last and the start of this.
Bale constantly gets outpaced? Eh? Have you watched Spurs in the last 6months? He's fecking rapid.

Karel_Poborsky

Bale constantly gets outpaced? Eh? Have you watched Spurs in the last 6months? He's fecking rapid.
He does get constantly out paced. Pace is not an attribute he possess. But why you chose to insult me than express your own opinion is beyond me, it's whats wrong with the football forums in my opinion. Unnecessary.

Carl

He does get constantly out paced. Pace is not an attribute he possess. But why you chose to insult me than express your own opinion is beyond me, it's whats wrong with the football forums in my opinion. Unnecessary.
Where did I insult you :confused:

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Who has outpaced him? Which games? Every time I watch Bale he flies past players for fun. He's got skill, I'll give him that, but very often he can push the ball down the line and just sprint.

Carl

Who has outpaced him? Which games? Every time I watch Bale he flies past players for fun. He's got skill, I'll give him that, but very often he can push the ball down the line and just sprint.
Shhhhh. Stop threating KP.

RonaldoVII

When we were linked with him before he joined Spurs, I didn't want him at United as I thought he was just a LB and Evra is better (still is). However, now he is playing on the wing (or as a wing back) he has been electric and most clubs would want him.

Carl

He's still getting judged as a left back although he's playing on the wing. As a winger he's not all that, cf Johnson for example.
I disagree. His performances on the wing have been brilliant. He's scored a lot of goals too.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Players like Malouda, Adam Johnson.. Ozil... left footed players yes, but all better operating from different positions on the pitch.

Robben, Giggs... were two players in the last decade or so, that I considered the best out and out left wingers in europe... Bale is clearly the best in England in my opinion as a left footed left winger, but Europe is a big claim..

Ronaldo playing from the left, is possibly better for one although to be fair I'm struggling at this moment to find few better, erm Arshavin, Iniesta/Pedro, Ribery. Not much competition to be fair, he just needs to keep doing what he's doing, and prove he can do it at a high level consistently and one day he'll be entitled to named as best left winger in Europe... at the moment its too soon.

MacMUFC

Got called a spastic for saying we should've signed him a while ago. Go figure.

Redrage

He's a fantastic player and I want us to sign him went he went to Spurs, quick, strong and his crossing is fecking fantastic.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Malouda comes to mind.
He shouldn't though because he's not really a left winger at the moment and he's playing better than he ever has done. On the wing he isn't all that great.

Sw33t

He shouldn't though because he's not really a left winger atm and he's playing better than he ever has done. On the wing he isn't all that great.
Still predominantly a left winger though and he's played there a feck load. Done more over a longer period on the left.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Plays on the right.
Its true Robben plays majority of his games on the right cutting in, but he's just as capable on the left... a certain game against Glen Johnson and the england team where he tore us a new one comes to mind.

Him and Giggs are very versatile left footed wingers, capable of being old school lefties and modern on the right cutting in type ones with great success.

Care_de_Bobo

Plays a lot better on the right and is now deployed there more often than not.

Malouda comes to mind.
I wouldn't say there is much between the 2 players really except that Bale is better at set pieces and from what I've seen has more of an impact in the big games but Malouda scores more goals which may or may not be because Bale often plays at left back.

If given the choice between the two players I'd take Bale every time.

Sw33t

Plays on the right.

Is he an out and out winger? He doesn't really hug the touchline and put crosses in. Chelsea play quite narrow in that respect, encouraging their full-backs forward. I suppose that's the difference in the modern winger, though.
He's not your classic touchline hugging winger, no. But he plays on the left wing, or has done a lot in the past.

I'm not saying Bale isn't brilliant, because feck me he is, really love watching him at the moment. But he's not the "best left sided player in Europe". Which is really what I was getting at.

I rate Bale highly, but for me Malouda and Ribery are still better left sided players.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Not as good as Bale in my view. Bale seems to have the lot. Great player.
Not yet he isn't. This is a player that has only really come good this calendar year. Though I appreciate his form has been fantastic.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Pedro must be in with a shout - they are different "kinds" of wingers, but wingers nonetheless. The important part i suppose these days is that most wingers should be "versatile" - right footed wingers playing on the left and vice versa etc. So IMO it is unfair to say "Robben plays on the right" you cant compare the 2, when everyone knows Robben can switch to the left just as effortlessly.

In the young players stakes, we will struggle to find anyone performing at Bale's level on the wing - in Europe. But it is a bit knee jerk to all of a sudden call him "one of the best". That is a reputation which should be built over a few years, not a few months.

All IMHO of course.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Still predominantly a left winger though and he's played there a feck load. Done more over a longer period on the left.
Just because he used to play there doesn't make him any good there, in fact he was ridiculed for quite abit before he's now become one of their 'go to' men with the ball and its to do with his shift into centre mid and a more 'left midfield' role.

He is not an out and out winger anymore and even if he was, he wouldn't be better than Bale at it, but as a roaming midfielder his game has gone to another level.

If the question was is Bale the best 'left footed' player in Europe, than this thread would yield a very different response, but as its purely about the left wing position.. the players you can compare him to unfavourably is a very narrow selection.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
He's not your classic touchline hugging winger, no. But he plays on the left wing, or has done a lot in the past.

I'm not saying Bale isn't brilliant, because feck me he is, really love watching him at the moment. But he's not the "best left sided player in Europe". Which is really what I was getting at.

I rate Bale highly, but for me Malouda and Ribery are still better left sided players.
I wasn't saying Bale was the best in Europe. I was picking up on Malouda, who is another player in terrific form, not being an orthadox winger. He's a left sided player, so it's all a bit trivial really.

I think Ribery is a bit overrated to be honest. Everytime I watch him he's nowhere near Bayern/France's best player let alone the best on the pitch or the best in Europe in his position.

Care_de_Bobo

Pedro must be in with a shout - they are different "kinds" of wingers, but wingers nonetheless. The important part i suppose these days is that most wingers should be "versatile" - right footed wingers playing on the left and vice versa etc. So IMO it is unfair to say "Robben plays on the right" you cant compare the 2, when everyone knows Robben can switch to the left just as effortlessly.
Agree with your shout on Pedro but not about Robben, I'm not saying he's bad on the left but he is half the player compared to when he plays on the right where he has much more of a goal threat.

Biscuit1871

Yeah, good player with a great (present &) future, but calling him the best left sided midfielder atm is knee jerk of the highest order.

Interestingly who would that be, in your books? Ozil? (i haven't seen him that much, except for at the WC). Malouda must be in with a shout - if you can classify him as a LW. Left sided player is also vague. Does he mean someone who can play in both defence and attack or is he simply referring to LM or LW? :confused:
I think that's why they valued him relatively highly. A combination of future potential, current form and versatility.

EDIT: but as you say your later post, these 3 attributes can only really be assessed over years, rather than months.