Gareth Bale | Golfer, ex-Footballer, Elbower of racists, Philosopher, Golf Ambassador, Bar Owner, Real Legend, Defibrillator

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He played 135 minutes of football for Wales at the beginning of September then 100 minutes in June for Real, hardly over a year.
So he has played around 2 and a bit matches in over a year. You really proved me wrong there. Clearly he should be 100% fit then!

pascell

So he has played around 2 and a bit matches in over a year. You really proved me wrong there. Clearly he should be 100% fit then!
Certainly more minutes than the 'hasn't played in over a year'. Nowhere did I say he should be 100% fit, just pointing out he's played minutes in the past year.

cyberman

Surely having a year out would mean it would be months before he is 100 percent fit added to the fact its hard to get a run of games due to his injury record scares the hell out of you? You might get 3 months of worthwhile Bale, tops, before he goes back

Last edited:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Surely having a year out would mean it would be months before he is 100 percent fit added to the fact its hard to get a run of games due to his injury record scares the hell out of you? You might get 3 months of worthwhile Bale, tops, before he goes back
The way I see it with Bale is that without him we are strong enough to achieve our goals this season so having him get fit and firing is a massive bonus to us if it happens. It's not a make or break deal for the team/squad. As a result I'm totally fine with him slowly building up his fitness for a few months because we aren't relying on him. His contract with RM ends at the end of the season as far as I know so I'd say it's very likely he will sign on with us for another couple of years and see out his career here.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Aye, they’re not great defensively as it is. Shoehorning Bale in will create more issues so hopefully they do it. That second sentence too, that’s the thing we’ve seen it before that players cannot suddenly return to previous levels after so many issues. Why is it they think Bale will? I get it from Spurs fans to an extent (you can already see how defensive they are in this thread) but it’s the neutral view too.
In their defence this isn't something exclusive to Spurs fans, some of the excuses some of our fans created for Torres were absolutely mental, there was even one conspiracy that Malouda was refusing to pass to him :lol:

I think people take this class is permanent line a little bit too literally, it isn't and especially not with players who rely on physical attributes, as Bale, Alexis and Torres all do/did.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The way I see it with Bale is that without him we are strong enough to achieve our goals this season so having him get fit and firing is a massive bonus to us if it happens. It's not a make or break deal for the team/squad.
You appear to be assuming that he will only break in the team if he performs. What if Mou plays him regardless like he did with Alexis?

Untd55

You appear to be assuming that he will only break in the team if he performs. What if Mou plays him regardless like he did with Alexis?
He isn't getting in over Son or Kane, so it won't have much effect anyway as Moura and Bergwijn are both highly inconsistent.

Bale has played right in both games, even when it was only Moura on the left, so he is likely going to stick with it.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He will play him because without playing him Bale will never regain match fitness - he will rotate him though because we have the likes of Lucas, Bergwijn and Lamela who can come in without a big reduction in quality. Not sure Jose had that luxury with Alexis at Utd.

arthurka

Think Utd fans should be easy on this, we have had our share of duds lately. He is a great player on his day and we should just pray he has lost his hunger for the game because if he hasn't he could very easily become a fantastic player for Spurs.

ReallyUSA

Think Utd fans should be easy on this, we have had our share of duds lately. He is a great player on his day and we should just pray he has lost his hunger for the game because if he hasn't he could very easily become a fantastic player for Spurs.
We were rejected like three times, feck Bale man :lol:

Posh Red

He will play him because without playing him Bale will never regain match fitness - he will rotate him though because we have the likes of Lucas, Bergwijn and Lamela who can come in without a big reduction in quality. Not sure Jose had that luxury with Alexis at Utd.
To be fair he chucked Martial out of the team when he was bang in form so not sure this is totally correct

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
To be fair he chucked Martial out of the team when he was bang in form so not sure this is totally correct
I think the Spurs Jose is already looking quite different to the United Jose. Team doesn't even play remotely similar imo.

I still expect the regular Jose collapse but I think all the "Well Jose did 'x' at United" comparisons are often falling short of the mark.

Chief123

He looks like someone who should have retired 5 years ago. Spurs will tell you it’s “match fitness”. My goodness he’s regressed.

No doubt spurs will be waiting a long time for him to get back to something he was which clearly isn’t going to happen. I actually think it will create more problems than solutions for Spurs. Bale will be expected to start pretty soon but it will not change the fact his legs are nowhere near as sharp as they used to be. They can not afford to have a passenger in the team who can’t get up and down especially on the right hand side where they have two right backs whom aren’t the best defending themselves.

Pretty obvious why Utd would have been stupid to even contemplate bringing him in on loan.

Chief123

I think the Spurs Jose is already looking quite different to the United Jose. Team doesn't even play remotely similar imo.

I still expect the regular Jose collapse but I think all the "Well Jose did 'x' at United" comparisons are often falling short of the mark.
It was nice n rosy at Utd too at the beginning. Give it time and Jose will do what Jose has been doing best in recent years.

Posh Red

Nah I agree with you. Just saying that Jose did have options at United but didn’t always use them well. Jose’s Spurs team looks better than his United team to be fair.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Basically how i feel, and it's nothing to do with him being at Spurs either as i'm happy to admit Kane and Son are the two best forward players in the league right now.

I really really hope Mou handicaps those two by trying to shoehorn Bale in, the Welshman is even more finished than Alexis and Torres when they went to United and Chelsea respectively.
Doesn't exactly take much to admit that the two players with currently by far the most combined assists and goals in the league this season (and two players who have consistently been up the top of the scoring charts in the past few seasons) are the two best forward players in the league right now. :lol:

Bit weird also that some people don't understand why a lot of Spurs fans have a big affinity for Bale from his 1st spell or why they might be excited about his return either.

I'm a bit more reserved than a lot of other Spurs fans. He clearly is not the same player he was when he left and not even the same player he was 3 years ago (though he scored the 2 winning goals in a CL final 3 years ago). I have concerns about his injury record and potential defensive efforts.

Having said that, he's here on a 1 season loan and, if he is shite/ always injured/ not useful, he returns to Real Madrid at the end of the season. And his off the pitch impact, in terms of raising the morale of the club at a time when its been quite down for a season, has been great.

The tweet above is a bit strange, how can he have 0 crosses completed or chances created when he put in the cross for the 2nd goal?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Doesn't exactly take much to admit that the two players with currently by far the most combined assists and goals in the league this season (and two players who have consistently been up the top of the scoring charts in the past few seasons) are the two best forward players in the league right now. :lol:

Bit weird also that some people don't understand why a lot of Spurs fans have a big affinity for Bale from his 1st spell or why they might be excited about his return either.
You'll be surprised just what some people struggle to admit when it comes to rival teams.

There's nothing wrong with the affiliation you have with him I just find rather bizzare that some people (not you obviously) are so adamant to act like it's still 2013 with him (with all the talk of "look at what we're doing and still have Bale to come in"), I'd get it if your forward line was shit but it isn't. I can relate to the excitement of him returning to you as we had similar with Drogba's return in 2014 but we were under no illusion he was returning as anything other than a squad player at best and that anything we got out of him was a bonus.

Red00012

He was really poor , obviously he might come good but at the moment I’m glad we steered clear . The press would be having a field day.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
He seems so far from being fit, probably won't be of any use until January.

Hulksmash

He seems so far from being fit, probably won't be of any use until January.
So pay 300k salary for free till January?

I think he will avoid criticism because he's a Media darling but the truth is , he's not good enough for tottenham and for Madrid

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

I think he will avoid criticism because he's a Media darling but the truth is , he's not good enough for tottenham and for Madrid
It was always going to be an expensive loan and why he was rotting on the bench for 2 years. Spurs tried and it might still be "worth it" if he can kick it up a bit towards the second part of the season. I doubt it though.

Red00012

Martin Keown said it on BT tonight , Dele Alli will get the abuse while Bale will get away with it because he’s “not fit”

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Martin Keown said it on BT tonight , Dele Alli will get the abuse while Bale will get away with it because he’s “not fit”
Just like Torres at Chelsea and Alexis at United before him, fans will make excuse after excuse because admitting the reality will mean accepting they're finished and they won't be seeing their prime versions.

GazTheLegend

Just like Torres at Chelsea and Alexis at United before him, fans will make excuse after excuse because admitting the reality will mean accepting they're finished and they won't be seeing their prime versions.
Pretty much this.

We want them to be the players they were, but you have to sign players on the premise of what they are right now.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He was totally anonymous last night - clearly nowhere near fit but worryingly wasn't involved in the game at all. A long way to go till we should consider him as a regular in the league - I hope he can get there but starting to wonder if he can.

Classical Mechanic

Stats from last night were

37 touches
31 passes
77% pass completion
0 attempted long passes
0 crosses
0 dribbles
0 key passes
0 shots on target

In the spirit of the Opta Twitter account

Impotent

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Stats from last night were

37 touches
31 passes
77% pass completion
0 attempted long passes
0 crosses
0 dribbles
0 key passes
0 shots on target

In the spirit of the Opta Twitter account

Impotent
Yeah he was awful, though it wasn't just him - the entire team was dreadful. Half the players didn't look match fit at all.

not quite sure it’s the right example with Sanchez at all. We all saw very early on he was a shadow of the player he was during his best years at Arsenal.

Most fans, myself included were excited to see him sign, let’s not rewrite history. But as soon as we saw him play, he wasn’t right, and 6 months in everyone could see he was finished. Fans didn’t make excuses for him, and we wanted him gone.

don’t in any way get confused with what OGS said about him being a good player, and that he could come beach and play for Utd - and the reality. Which, is that he’s finished, at least in the PL. unlike previous managers, OGS makes it easier to sell players by not throwing them under the bus. He was in effect, marketing Sanchez.

romufc

unlike previous managers, OGS makes it easier to sell players by not throwing them under the bus. He was in effect, marketing Sanchez.
This. OGS does not throw players under the bus. I know some fans don't like this but it may be part of the reason our team spirit is better than it has been.

I.E. Jose after a few bad performances calls out players in public, OGS even after really bad individual mistakes has not once called out any player saying he needs to get fit, or he needs to do X.

Instead, he came out and said, it was his mistake to play Pogba, previously Jose would have blamed Pogba.

Robbie Boy

not quite sure it’s the right example with Sanchez at all. We all saw very early on he was a shadow of the player he was during his best years at Arsenal.

Most fans, myself included were excited to see him sign, let’s not rewrite history. But as soon as we saw him play, he wasn’t right, and 6 months in everyone could see he was finished. Fans didn’t make excuses for him, and we wanted him gone.

don’t in any way get confused with what OGS said about him being a good player, and that he could come beach and play for Utd - and the reality. Which, is that he’s finished, at least in the PL. unlike previous managers, OGS makes it easier to sell players by not throwing them under the bus. He was in effect, marketing Sanchez.
Yeah this. I didn't see many defending Sanchez at all and actually quite a-few felt he was well past his best before he kicked a ball for us.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
All the talks of people blaming Zidane and RM for not respecting Bale. Truth was that he was garbage for more or less past 2 years. People in Britain did not really watch RM other than CL finals. Had a skewed view of how Bale really was past 2 years.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
All the talks of people blaming Zidane and RM for not respecting Bale. Truth was that he was garbage for more or less past 2 years. People in Britain did not really watch RM other than CL finals. Had a skewed view of how Bale really was past 2 years.
No doubt he needs to do a lot more to be able to stay in Spurs next season. He needs to earn his starting place just like everybody else.

Pep's Suit

I agree. He's showed absolutely nothing on the pitch since he joined Spurs.