Gareth Bale | Golfer, ex-Footballer, Elbower of racists, Philosopher, Golf Ambassador, Bar Owner, Real Legend, Defibrillator

MDFC Manager

I had a debate with a guy at work who despite being a United fan was excited to see Bale back in the league. He was sure he would tear up the league again and that United missed out big time.
There's plenty on here who thought the same. They were gutted we didn't go for him.

PieCrust

Would have been an amazing signing if we could have gotten him instead of Madrid. But then we'd be in the same spot as them, paying huge wages for past performances to a player that can no longer contribute at that level. Still don't trust the transfer strategy of the club, so hard to say if it was a good decision to steer clear or we just fumbled it and "missed out".

Only 161 minutes in the PL. That is very surprising.

Suedesi

Recall the attitude of the average British fan in the summer was "of only we could save him from evil Zidane, he'd set the PL alight."

So how's he been doing so far?

What's his handicap these days?

Brophs

The One and Only
Mourinho’s comments yesterday didn’t exactly suggest he thinks Bale can get back to the level, even if he said all the right things about working with him to get it back. I’m sure injuries have played a huge part but you can’t lose your motivation for a period or years and just expect it to be there when you decide you want to switch it back on.

TheReligion

Abusive
Recall the attitude of the average British fan in the summer was "of only we could save him from evil Zidane, he'd set the PL alight."

Why do people keep having a dig at "the average British fan" in this thread?

Kind of like a pointless dick measuring exercise. Not sure I get it.

Red00012

If he had joined Utd and played 161 mins In the PL can you imagine the amount of articles about how much money we pissed away getting him in on loan . There has literally been nothing about this because it’s only Spurs.

Judas

Open to offers

I''m struggling to understand what it even means? What is "the average British fan"? A random person plucked from any British high street that watches football?

TheReligion

Abusive
I''m struggling to understand what it even means? What is "the average British fan"? A random person plucked from any British high street that watches football?
I've seen it alot in here.

I'm already shortlist people for the Caf racist of the year award.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So was Zidane actually unfair with him?

Needham

Can't say handicap now, it's 'shot equality adjustment rate'.

DRM

He's absolutely lost it. No pace, can't stay fit, no desire, no determination on the pitch. Simply there to collect as many pay cheques as he can before eventually calling it a day.

If I were spurs I'd tear up that loan deal and tell him to feck off

Hammondo

He didn't really develop his game in other areas, almost the opposite, focused so much on being a goalscorer, cutting in and shooting, became very one dimensional.

Stark contrast to someone like Giggs(whatever you think of him as a person) who had such range to his game he could keep adapting.
Yea I agree. I think a player like Giggs had so much more value.

Bale always relies on his speed.

Javi

So was Zidane actually unfair with him?
Dont know what went on behind the scenes, but imo Madrid ousted him because of his performance level and his injuries. All that golf jazz came later. The year after Cristiano left, Madrid planned with Bale as their main guy. But the main guy was injured half the time and underperformed when he played. Bale got chances all the time, but of course, if you dont even show a glimpse of potential, a bit of magic here and there, you wont get a series of games. And then he‘s out injured the next month anyway.

So they tried to move him. Next thing you know is the golf jazz coming in and his agent spouting nonsense all over the media. What are you going to do with a guy that earns a shitload, is injury-prone, at best performs like a mediocre squadplayer and disrespects the club in public?

Personally, I couldnt care less about the about the last thing. But for the first three things I‘d oust him every day a week. Also considering that he is 30 y/o or something and subsequently has very limited room of improvement over time.

Last edited:

Javi

Yea I agree. I think a player like Giggs had so much more value.

Bale always relies on his speed.
Not true although I wont deny that Speed was a big part of his game. Bale had great long distance shooting too, plus he‘s decent at crossing (thats probably the only thing he‘s still decent at, albeit not great mind you). He could be a good player with the the two. Edit: At Freekicks (all ranges) he used to excell too. Dont know if he lost that as well or not.

Agreed on the Giggs part, no doubt about it in my mind.

Last edited:

Chief123

Unsurprisingly, he’s been as shit as expected. No idea why Spurs fans got giddy thinking they were bringing back a superstar. He’s been finished for a long time.

Hammondo

Not true although I wont deny that Speed was a big part of his game. Bale had great long distance shooting too, plus he‘s decent at crossing (thats probably the only thing he‘s still decent at, albeit not great mind you). He could be a good player with the the two. Edit: At Freekicks (all ranges) he used to excell too. Dont know if he lost that as well or not.

Agreed on the Giggs part, no doubt about it in my mind.
Yes but in order to make good use of those he often needed his pace prior.

Suedesi

All summer (and the summer before that, and the summer before that and more) I had to read and hear moronic posts how Bale was the principal reason Madrid won everything and he was being treated so unfairly by Madrid. Then people were saying how good it was that he was sitting on his contract milking Madrid for every penny (and then foaming at the mouth for Phil Jones, Lingard, Rojo, etc doing the same). Many were asking to bring Bale to United as if he'd be panacea for all our ills post-Fergie.

Not sure I'd call it a dick measuring exercise, just a bit of perspective which given this is a football forum and all, is entirely appropriate.

TheReligion

Abusive
All summer (and the summer before that, and the summer that, and the summer before that) I had to read and hear moronic posts how Bale was the principal reason Madrid won everything and he was being treated so unfairly by Madrid. Then people were saying how good it was that he was sitting on his contract milking Madrid for every penny (and then foaming at the mouth for Phil Jones, Lingard, Rojo, etc doing the same). Many were asking to bring Bale to United as if he'd be panacea for all our ills post-Fergie.

Not sure I'd call it a dick measuring exercise, just a bit of perspective which given this is a football forum and all, is entirely appropriate.
The irony is strong here.

If you don't like what you see you don't look at it. You don't have to see anything and I'm really not sure why it's triggered you to the extent you have to make belittling comments about nationality.

Suedesi

The irony is strong here.

If you don't like what you see you don't look at it. You don't have to see anything and I'm really not sure why it's triggered you to the extent you have to make belittling comments about nationality.
:houllier::houllier::houllier:

You quoted my post in the first place yet I'm triggered. What a muppet

fps

Dont know what went on behind the scenes, but imo Madrid ousted him because of his performance level and his injuries. All that golf jazz came later. The year after Cristiano left, Madrid planned with Bale as their main guy. But the main guy was injured half the time and underperformed when he played. Bale got chances all the time, but of course, if you dont even show a glimpse of potential, a bit of magic here and there, you wont get a series of games. And then he‘s out injured the next month anyway.

So they tried to move him. Next thing you know is the golf jazz coming in and his agent spouting nonsense all over the media. What are you going to do with a guy that earns a shitload, is injury-prone, at best performs like a mediocre squadplayer and disrespects the club in public?

Personally, I couldnt care less about the about the last thing. But for the first three things I‘d oust him every day a week. Also considering that he is 30 y/o or something and subsequently has very limited room of improvement over time.
Absolutely. Anything can be forgiven if a player is performing or there’s a feeling a player can still be brilliant.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He is embarrassing himself. The lack of effort at Madrid and his attitude stunk. I was just reminded in another thread about McManaman and how he was treated poorly at Madrid after a good start.

What did he do? He said it was his dream to play for them, buckled down, got back in the team and won the title. Nowadays, he can’t buy a meal in Madrid!

Bale did the complete opposite, and then made fun of the situation that he created very publicly, destroying his legacy at Madrid, only to come ‘home’ and give PL fans a look at what he has become. He is only 31, it’s a story of a lack of commitment and desire.

Im sure it was funny filming that ad at the golf course, but all he has done has made people realize that Zidane was probably right and looked daft doing it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is there any coach dumb enough to be unfair with a player of Bale's quality?
It was rhetorical question many people were shocked by the situation and assumed that Zidane was wrong. Even when several Madrid fans sided with Zidane.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

Because they have a superiority complex because they are either not British and look down on us for nationalistic reasons, or are embarassed that they are British fans and think they are superior because they follow a league in another country. They can never point to any particular posts or statements from this mythical average fan. I am pretty sure I did not see posts, at least on here, demanding Bale be saved and returned to the EPL. Sure, there were people who had fantasies of a past-it player being great for United, but that was it as far as I saw. Don't bother with them.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Is there any coach dumb enough to be unfair with a player of Bale's quality?
It's impossible to be unfair to a player of Bale's quality and name at real madrid, so long as he performs. Ancelotti lost his job because Bale had a so-so second season ffs :lol:

The very first thing Zidane said upon being hired the first time was the usual "the BBC is untouchable". Bale only lost his privileges as "guaranteed starter by presidential decree" because he got injured and the team went on to do the double without him in the starting XI. It literally took the team having its best season in half a century in his absence for that. And then only at the end of the season, when he was injured(he started the pivotal clasico half-fit and promptly got injured and missed the rest of the season)

Zidane clearly had personal issues with certain players - James - who never got a fair chance from him. Bale wasn't one of them

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
He is embarrassing himself. The lack of effort at Madrid and his attitude stunk. I was just reminded in another thread about McManaman and how he was treated poorly at Madrid after a good start.

What did he do? He said it was his dream to play for them, buckled down, got back in the team and won the title. Nowadays, he can’t buy a meal in Madrid!

Bale did the complete opposite, and then made fun of the situation that he created very publicly, destroying his legacy at Madrid, only to come ‘home’ and give PL fans a look at what he has become. He is only 31, it’s a story of a lack of commitment and desire.

Im sure it was funny filming that ad at the golf course, but all he has done has made people realize that Zidane was probably right and looked daft doing it.
Agreed. Bale strikes me as having a particular type of arrogance that comes from earning enough money and achieving just enough that he feels he can do what he wants.

Take nothing away from him because he was a phenomenal player but attitude wise? It just seems like something isn't right.

Agreed. Bale strikes me as having a particular type of arrogance that comes from earning enough money and achieving just enough that he feels he can do what he wants.

Take nothing away from him because he was a phenomenal player but attitude wise? It just seems like something isn't right.
achieving “just enough”.

on what barometer is that? He’s achieved a hell of a lot in his career.

Chairman Steve

I am so glad we did not go for him. He’s doing way worse than I thought he would. Major red flag for me about how he was more than happy to sit on the Real Madrid bench collecting wages and embracing the golf meme attributed to him.

Saddy

Good solid 60 minute fitness test for the next Wales match....

When are the golf courses opening ?