Gareth Bale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
If we don't get Sancho this year, then I'm on board to having him for a year. It's better to have him than to sign no one for our right side, or to sign Plan B to Sancho who will inevitably not be as good as the latter, and we'll have to watch our rivals snap him up next summer.

Rolaholic

You know, Bale on a 1 year loan is not a bad idea. He needs to play to be ready for the Euro next year, so he'll be motivated. Adding Sancho will get us 3rd place at best. But a Bale going supernova might actually get us the title. It's certainly a high risk high reward gamble.
Think you've got it backwards there mate

AJ Bullet

I mean we have Mata/Perriera/Lingard still in the squad, we arent in some loft position to turn Bale away Im afraid, short term fix but better than no fix at all.

Luke1995

I think we as a fan base need to simmer our expectations on Greenwood a little. A top talent he most definitely is but he's not an RW and also if you can sign Bale on loan (who when fit is one of the best players around in that role) there should not even be a conversation about if Mason will lose minutes. He's 18 years old and would get minutes as No9 in the cups and also is backup RW to a new signing.

Most important thing is being in a position to win trophies - Greenwood will be an elite player in a few years but he will be a No9 and he's nowhere near the finished article yet.

Add in Bale is always injured and he'll likely get just as many minutes as if we signed no one ;)
Not much to disagree here, but why should we tune down our expectations on Greenwood's development as a player ? We also had big dreams about Rashford when he was 18 and he is turning out alright

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I'd rather see James get game time and maybe even improve than see Bale the crock. Let him join the PGA tour or something but we shouldn't go anywhere near him at all cost.

I also find it ironic how this place love talking about attitude and scrutinize our players(especially a certain someone) and question their commitments and attitude toward the club yet this same place has people fancying welcoming Bale with open arms despite him being the embodiment of pure unprofessionalism and being a massive diva.

DO NOT WANT. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, just NO.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

So many Question marks to this transfer.

- Is he actually good anymore?
- Inevitable injuries
- Balance in the team, as we Will have to build around him

That said, i can't deny that it would be exciting to see him in the team. I guess there isn't many alternatives to Sancho in the market, so why not Bale on a loan deal. If he break down or performs badly, we have Greenwood.

Luke1995

I never liked Bale and don't really want him, and year after year have probably been one of his biggest haters... but we are desperate for a player to come in on the level of those 3 and rotate with them. We're playing twice a week every week the entire season - depth is needed and we currently have none. Rashford got a stress fracture in his back in January of last season because of that sort of schedule with no rotation. All 3 of them would break down. Its vital we bring someone in. Ideally Sancho wouldve been that guy, but our board clearly doesn't want to spend so we have to look elsewhere.

So for once, I'll say it. Bale would be better than nothing... and as only a loan its low risk (and can play either side or even through the middle), and if he gets motivation back and somehow stays fit could even be an excellent loan for both us and him, given we're too incompetent to make the right signings earlier in the summer. Everything we do now is emergency stations as its harmful to what we have to not sign an attacker or left back.
One issue could be the time he has spent away from the Premier League. It's been more than 7 years already... will he be able to adapt to it again ?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I really don’t get why people would be so against a loan deal. He’s much better than our current squad options

drmuji

I think i need to pray now that this doesn't happen. This is LVG happening all over again. Players, other clubs deem surplus to their requirements are welcome at united

redshaw

Not sure Madrid would accept paying 60-70% of his wages to loan him out and paying half for the other club is not attractive.

The only positive is Bale can potentially provide a key moment we often lack in the CL business end

Squeaky Bumtime

I really don’t get why people would be so against a loan deal. He’s much better than our current squad options
On paper. And few years ago. Now he's a washed up player, injury prone who isn't even interested in playing football. Getting him would be a complete disaster.

croadyman

Personally I think a Bale with a point to prove could be very useful,however I have serious doubts about his ability to stay fit or play on the RW too

Santoryo

ripping the reward
At least our current squad options will be available therefore better than him. What good will he be when he'd likely be spending most of his time here hanging out with Jones in the physio room and playing golf?

macheda14

Not sure Madrid would accept paying 60-70% of his wages to loan him out and paying half for the other club is not attractive.

The only positive is Bale can potentially provide a key moment we often lack in the CL business end
Just like we did with Sanchez? They know he isn’t going to play. So either they loan him out and pay half his wages or have him rot in the bench and pay all of them.

Rolaholic

Personally I think a Bale with a point to prove could be very useful,however I have serious doubts about his ability to stay fit
I'd agree if it didn't seem as he presently couldn't give less fecks about proving a point right now.

Even then his injury proneness back in a more physical league along with his exorbidant wages makes it a hard pill to swallow for me in 2020 as someone who's been a big fan of his and hoped we could've signed him in the past.

RedDevil@84

Because it comes with too many "Ifs".
If he can be fit all season
If he is still in the same form he was 2 years back
If he has the same motivation to play
If Real will pay most of the salary

It is a costly toss of the coin and it is easily understandable why some people don't want to take a punt

AJ Bullet

He has CL experience and is a winner, at worst he is able to pass on something to the likes of James and Greenwood, if he's shite/injured back to Madrid he goes, nothing like Sanchez deal.

Lewnited

While my overriding feeling towards Bale at United is a big 'no way', I will say that any time I've seen him play for Madrid or Wales over the last two years he's still looked a quality player, he'd probably also still be one of the quickest players in the league as well. If it's a choice between Bale on a one year loan or going with what we've got, I'd be totally fine with taking him.

However it's yet more proof of our ridiculous 'eggs in one basket' recruitment strategy that we find ourselves in this situation in the first place.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This is the problem with the Caf. No matter how well this place know something is bad and a disaster, as soon as we get linked with it we get people trying to rationalize and convince themselves and others how said disastrous thing isn't bad after all and maybe it's this or that.

All these talks about Bale having a point to prove, how it's not his fault but big bad Madrid or Zidane etc, are just excuses, desperate ones to convince yourselves that there is a good deal in this whole Bale bit. Stick to your initial, much more informed(over long period of time) opinion based on factual things we've seen and know about the guy, he's simply not worth it.

Before we got strongly linked to him, people thought a lot more rationally about Bale, however since links have gotten stronger people are choosing to willingly abandon common sense to spin this disaster in waiting into something it isn't.

croadyman

While my overriding feeling towards Bale at United is a big 'no way', I will say that any time I've seen him play for Madrid or Wales over the last two years he's still looked a quality player, he'd probably also still be one of the quickest players in the league as well. If it's a choice between Bale on a one year loan or going with what we've got, I'd be totally fine with taking him.

However it's yet more proof of our ridiculous 'eggs in one basket' recruitment strategy that we find ourselves in this situation in the first place.
Yeah I know exactly what you mean and think back to the real clamour for him when he broke the scousers hearts with that wonder goal,he will always have a special place in my heart for that

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Who cares that he chose Real 7 years ago, honestly what difference does that make?

He’s played 250 games for Real.
Well it flies in the face of this new, character based recruitment strategy a bit, does it not?

We’re now supposed to hold our targets personality, hunger, mental fortitude and desire to play for the shirt in just as much esteem as their ability with a football.

Gareth Bale is just about the one player who is lacking all of those things. It just reeks of a panic buy, or the short term kind of signings Jose lumbered us with. A loan is obviously better than a permanent deal, but what’s the point in even loaning him if he doesn’t tick all the boxes which we’re apparently now searching for? I’m kind of hoping it’s a smokescreen, but I think Dortmund genuinely want to keep Sancho so cant see them being arsed.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I have never wanted Bale at Utd, but I have a morbid curiosity about this move. I think we are better placed to cope if he flops here because we have mason, Bruno etc... if he’s rubbish he doesn’t have to play. I tend to think a bit of love from Ole could get him back on form, combined with regular game time. Personally I won’t lose sleep If we do or don’t sign him.

Sweet Square

This is the problem with the Caf. No matter how well this place know something is bad and a disaster, as soon as we get linked with it we get people trying to rationalize and convince themselves and others how said disastrous thing isn't bad after all and maybe it's this or that.
Or maybe they just disagree with you ?

As crazy as that sounds.

Verminator

All these talks about Bale having a point to prove, how it's not his fault but big bad Madrid or Zidane etc, are just excuses, desperate ones to convince yourselves that there is a good deal in this whole Bale bit. Stick to your initial, much more informed(over long period of time) opinion based on factual things we've seen and know about the guy, he's simply not worth it.

Before we got strongly linked to him, people thought a lot more rationally about Bale, however since links have gotten stronger people are choosing to willingly abandon common sense to spin this disaster in waiting into something it isn't.
I know. Right?
It isn't even as though he wants to impress to get a move, because he's happy on his silly contract.

It beggars belief that people are even entertaining this.
James at 22 has more chance of coming good, but gets dog's abuse in here.
Diva > prospect.
Let's get Griezman as well.

Rolaholic

Nothing would signify a renewed focus on building up and buying young and hungry players more than getting a panic loan in for a 31 year old that rejected us twice and has spent more time on a golf pitch than football pitch the last 2 years and will be on 350k+ a week amiright?

Man Yusuf united

As we speak Sanchez is a better player than bale is right now..and still he doesn't fit ole's project..and you guys want as to sign bale who i 'm sure that even greenwood is by miles better than him..and i'm sure he's going to spend most of that on lone time in the hospital while receiving that 300,000£ per week while in reality is greenwood who will be spending most of those time on the pitch. Come on guys, Bale! Sure!!

croadyman

My brain tells me its media bullshit, we wont buy any players over 30 years old, he's knackered etc etc etc

My heart tells me.....worth a punt. If he's good for just one season he could be like Van Persie, Zlatan or even Henrik Larson and be a bargain.

99% of the time i should listen to my brain but i always screw up and listen to my heart.
Yeah that is the mentality I have decided to adopt as well,oh and watching that wonder strike which broke the scousers

drmuji

Nothing would signify a renewed focus on building up and buying young and hungry players more than getting a panic loan in1 for a 31 year old that rejected us twice and has spent more time on a golf pitch than football pitch the last 2 years and will be on 350k+ a week amiright?
This.....

Man Yusuf united

Nothing would signify a renewed focus on building up and buying young and hungry players more than getting a panic loan in for a 31 year old that rejected us twice and has spent more time on a golf pitch than football pitch the last 2 years and will be on 350k+ a week amiright?
I agree with you mate

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I think for many Bale coming in (on whatever deal) is symbolic of Sancho not happening. Therefore they're frustrated.
Very good shout.

I don’t think he’s ideal and he comes with a lot of baggage, but IF we do get him on loan with a fairly low outlay from us, and IF he regains his focus and form, then he’d be a fantastic stop gap option

Status
Not open for further replies.