Gareth Bale

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaldinho1

The thing is, Bale would never accept a loan deal unless he was really desperate. Probably that's why he will end up going to Tottenham.

But, if Greenwood will play in the middle and Martial on the left, perhaps Ole can just use Rashford on the right. Dan James can be the back-up in case anyone gets injured...I doubt Woodward will manage to sign anyone else.
For me martial must stay central and Greenwood then has the challenge to take his spot in the next couple of years. Rashford is learning the LW pretty well and I'm expecting this season to be a good one for him - as long as he stops trying to rush and force everything, he should be easily hitting 10+ goals and 10+ assists easily (and hopefully much more) if he gets the same types of chances he got last season.

As it stands Greenwood is our RW but it's clear we know he's not the solution, hence trying for Sancho. Regardless of his age he isn't good enough to be our starting RW and he's not currently anywhere near Martial's level. That might change quickly but that's what I see. Bale would be a stop gap but a very decent stop gap, if fit.

EwanI Ted

This is one of those weird transfers where I think it would have been a fair deal for us but is a poor one for Spurs. For us, we're on the right path overall in terms of team building. The team is young and being built to a plan. If we can't get Sancho, getting in an older player to use sparingly is a perfectly fine 1 season option until we get a permanent player in his stead. It would just be a stepping stone, and given the strength of our attack overall, the risk would be low.

However for Spurs, its another sign that they've lost the team building ethic that they had under Poch and have resorted to knee jerk short termism. They don't need stop gaps, they need to get the basics right and Bale is part of no plan I can see. This is a typical Mourinho signing, someone who he think might help him personally out this season, and if it hinders the clubs long term development, oh well, he'll be gone by then anyway.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Please go to Spurs. Please go to Spurs. Please go to Spurs.

Imagine Jose‘s reaction to his defensive work rate. Imagine Alli’s temper tantrums when Bale shoots instead of passes, imagine the teams disgust at him earning 5x their wage to occupy a space in the physio room. Oh god please let it happen.

Wilt

there’s so much tabloid crap ...he’s this, he’s that, bullshit bullshit ....

seems every lying feck, tinpot reporter wants in :lol:

Wilt

Imagine Jose‘s reaction to his defensive work rate. Imagine Alli’s temper tantrums when Bale shoots instead of passes, imagine the teams disgust at him earning 5x their wage to occupy a space in the physio room. Oh god please let it happen.
careful what you wish for

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
This Bale to Spurs loan seems clickbait. Although I could see Bale agreeing to it if the wages are sorted out. Spurs wage cap is 200k a week. That is what Kane is on. I believe Ndombele is close to that as well.

Even if RM stumped up half Bale's 500-600k wages he is still outside that wage cap Spurs run under.

RM would have to pay like two thirds of Bale's wages for the loan to happen.

Levenstein

Imagine him dribbling past two players and sending long range winner into top bin in 90+2. Jose sliding on his knees to the corner flag. Nah I don't want to see it.

Reactions: golden_blunder

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

I just hope the cameras are rolling for series 2 when it all goes down

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

As part of the deal, Spurs would take on Bale's full wages, leaving Real Madrid to pay out bonuses over the course of the season.
:lol:

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Is he definitely on 600k a week? If he is, then feck me sideways spurs :lol:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

It's a wonder he ever made a top flight career for himself being such an awful player.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
This is one of those weird transfers where I think it would have been a fair deal for us but is a poor one for Spurs. For us, we're on the right path overall in terms of team building. The team is young and being built to a plan. If we can't get Sancho, getting in an older player to use sparingly is a perfectly fine 1 season option until we get a permanent player in his stead. It would just be a stepping stone, and given the strength of our attack overall, the risk would be low.

However for Spurs, its another sign that they've lost the team building ethic that they had under Poch and have resorted to knee jerk short termism. They don't need stop gaps, they need to get the basics right and Bale is part of no plan I can see. This is a typical Mourinho signing, someone who he think might help him personally out this season, and if it hinders the clubs long term development, oh well, he'll be gone by then anyway.
Why would you want Bale on the dressing room of a squad nurturing talent with young guys who will look up to veterans? They guy has been a diva for almost half a decade, has gone against his managers a couple of times, recognized he doesn't really care about playing football anymore and even in his current team, his teammates are sick of his attitude and don't even want to train with him. Are you going to sign him to tell your players how great Ronaldo was? or to give them fitness tips to avoid getting injured?.

Bale comes in and even on loan he's earning more than any of the attackers on the team, that's awful for the ego of your players, you're paying a fortune to a one year stop gap that you knew was probably going to end bad. Next time you get Rashford, Bruno or Greenwood negotiating their contract, you think they will forget how you happily overpaid for someone that came to perform worse than them?.

TheLord

Spurs getting shafted :lol:

Thank god we didn't fall into this trap
I know Mourinho can be a prick to get players, but surely Levy isn't a doofus to agree to those terms.
Earlier, it was reported that Madrid would pay half his wages. I am sure it is that way.

EwanI Ted

Why would you want Bale on the dressing room of a squad nurturing talent with young guys who will look up to veterans? They guy has been a diva for almost half a decade, has gone against his managers a couple of times, recognized he doesn't really care about playing football anymore and even in his current team, his teammates are sick of his attitude and don't even want to train with him. Are you going to sign him to tell your players how great Ronaldo was? or to give them fitness tips to avoid getting injured?.

Bale comes in and even on loan he's earning more than any of the attackers on the team, that's awful for the ego of your players, you're paying a fortune to a one year stop gap that you knew was probably going to end bad. Next time you get Rashford, Bruno or Greenwood negotiating their contract, you think they will forget how you happily overpaid for someone that came to perform worse than them?.
Not every player needs to be a mentor, and besides, his attitude for Wales was always exemplary, its just gone wrong at Madrid for whatever reason. As for his salary, we would never have paid all his wages, so that's neither here nor there.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
"Some of the costs" apparently refers to "a posh caddie, new clubs and a selection of turquoise shirts".

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
This Bale to Spurs loan seems clickbait. Although I could see Bale agreeing to it if the wages are sorted out. Spurs wage cap is 200k a week. That is what Kane is on. I believe Ndombele is close to that as well.

Even if RM stumped up half Bale's 500-600k wages he is still outside that wage cap Spurs run under.

RM would have to pay like two thirds of Bale's wages for the loan to happen.
No its not, with bonuses and incentives Kane is on more than 200K.

Bale's agrent has come out publicly and said talks are ongoing. Its hardly clickbate.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
No its not, with bonuses and incentives Kane is on more than 200K.

Bale's agrent has come out publicly and said talks are ongoing. Its hardly clickbate.
The talks with Bale aren't the issue as he is clearly open to a move back home. It's Madrid expecting Spurs cover his entire salary that's causing the problem.

His salary was always going to be a major obstacle here.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's a wonder he ever made a top flight career for himself being such an awful player.
Obviously your being sarcastic. But it’s clearly a very very high risk deal for spurs. He was a world class player in his prime, but he’s always been pretty pace reliant, injuries & age have taken a few yards off him. He would absolutely destroy their wage budget, which could cause tension in the changing room, and he’s extremely injury prone. Even if they get him on half wages, he’d still be their highest paid player. If he spends the majority of his season there injured it’s a financial disaster for them.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The talks with Bale aren't the issue as he is clearly open to a move back home. It's Madrid expecting Spurs cover his entire salary that's causing the problem.

His salary was always going to be a major obstacle here.
I totally agree, but I do believe a deal will be done, I would say us going with the Regulon deal was a sweetener.

Crustanoid

Could be very Sanchez for them. The upside for us is it might disrupt a potential top 4 rival

drmuji

Yes Please. Yes Please. Yes Please
I'll be so ecstatic if that happens

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He might be great for Spurs but I doubt it will be under Mourinho. Can just imagine the reaction when he's not tracking back.... Will have bust up within a month.

Despite that Marca tweet chances Spurs pay all Bale's wages are zero... RM will be paying 50% ish. Real Madrid won't admit that though due to the embarrassment factor.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He might be great for Spurs but I doubt it will be under Mourinho. Can just imagine the reaction when he's not tracking back.... Will have bust up within a month.

Despite that Marca tweet chances Spurs pay all Bale's wages are zero... RM will be paying 50% ish. Real Madrid won't admit that though due to the embarrassment factor.
Id say more or Bale takes a pay cut. They paid half of Adebayor's wages during his time with us.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Clearly either Madrid pay off his contract or a chuck of it and Bale takes a pay cut with us.
Possible though I can't see why he would agree to less money? If they pay him off so doesn't lose out is possible.

It's Madrid pushing him out. He's seemingly happy just collecting his full wages, sitting in the stands and playing golf. Got nothing else to prove in club football.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Possible though I can't see why he would agree to less money? If they pay him off so doesn't lose out is possible.

It's Madrid pushing him out. He's seemingly happy just collecting his full wages, sitting in the stands and playing golf. Got nothing else to prove in club football.
If he was happy to stay and collect his wages surely he would? His agent has publicly stated where he wants to go.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s interesting to note the difference in opinions generally on Bale and Ozil. Circumstances are pretty similar, but the perceptions are miles apart.

ghagua

Bale would have been a good loan signing for United for a year. He would be like a cherry on top of what we have and push us close to competing for the title. Bale for Spurs where he will be expected to carry the load under Maureen is probably going to be a disaster. At least if it pushes Maureen towards his next sacking, that would be great.

tomaldinho1

It’s interesting to note the difference in opinions generally on Bale and Ozil. Circumstances are pretty similar, but the perceptions are miles apart.
I think a lot of people don't watch La Liga regularly and so most recent memories of Bale are probably his CL exploits & also we remember him as such a dynamic and explosive player from his time at Spurs. He's still class if you let him get the ball onto his left foot and he's hardly slow but the raw, game changing pace has gone. Chuck in the constant calf strains and thigh problems & the fact he's not played regular first team football for yonks and I'm not too fussed we're missing out. He would have given us a better RW than currently but I do understand why United don't seem interested. The risk is high. Ozil is just seen as a lazy No10 these days.

I disagree on the Reguillon deal, I think our stance comes from a place of arrogance/ego and not practicality. That or we have no money and all the links now are just posturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.