Gareth Bale

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkLord

I know he can't really be described as a flop for Real Madrid but I can't think of a transfer fee which was a world record and still consider a very large fee in today inflated market which has turned out so badly like this. Truly awful with how he is being treated by Real Madrid and the fans. I'd be a little jealous if he excels for Spurs cause we do need some quality and experience but I trust the manager and board on this. After all, he had his chance to come to us but he rejected us.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Not disappointed that he's going back to Spurs as he'll probably be a better player there than he would be with us. He's adored at Spurs.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I hope he repeats his last performance against Liverpool, it feels like that was the last time they were shit.

AFC NimbleThumb

You don't tie the players to wings, this is not 90s. That position has evolved over the years and now (or from last 10-15 years) most of the teams best goal scorers plays as wide forward. They don't play as wingers, they play as inside forwards/wing forwards.
You are correct, it’s not the 90s so the concept of building a squad shouldn’t be foreign to you. We go into the season as constructed & Greenwood is the only member of the front 3 that is comfortable on the right; yes they drift but neither Tony nor Marcus show a great willingness for the RW position, they prefer the left where they can cut in on their favoured foot.

We’re currently starting 3 players whose preferred roles would be central strikers, the fact they’re talented enough to do more shouldn’t halt recruiting a player that would firstly play out wide.

If you think by tying him to the wing I mean he’ll only get chalk on his boots you’re missing the point entirely; a sudden drop in form/injury to Martial & you’d have to bring in Dan James at RW to play Greenwood centrally or play 3 at the back; we shouldn’t be looking at him as the answer to RW, he is far more than that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You are correct, it’s not the 90s so the concept of building a squad shouldn’t be foreign to you. We go into the season as constructed & Greenwood is the only member of the front 3 that is comfortable on the right; yes they drift but neither Tony nor Marcus show a great willingness for the RW position, they prefer the left where they can cut in on their favoured foot.

We’re currently starting 3 players whose preferred roles would be central strikers, the fact they’re talented enough to do more shouldn’t halt recruiting a player that would firstly play out wide.

If you think by tying him to the wing I mean he’ll only get chalk on his boots you’re missing the point entirely; a sudden drop in form/injury to Martial & you’d have to bring in Dan James at RW to play Greenwood centrally or play 3 at the back; we shouldn’t be looking at him as the answer to RW, he is far more than that.
Well I never denied we need depth, that's not even the point I was replied to. I replied to your "tied to wing" point as if he is demoted or a position to punish.

Right now that's Greenwood's best position as he had very good season playing from that position. He isn't a striker playing as winger, he is very good attacking player playing as wide forward. He might go on to become brilliant 9 but for the first team his performance as right forward was much better than when he played as 9 where he struggled to get into the game.

Also, yeah we should bring someone to challenge these players as we always should have competition for places.

We also have Ighalo to bring in, we are paying him good wages and we should make use of that.

No idea what you mean by bold part. he is more than what? Right wing forward is not restricted position or CF is not some privilege position, both are attacking positions and right now Greenwood is better wing forward than CF. IF we cant sign Sancho then we should be looking at Greenwood as the answer for RW and bring someone else as back up.

There is no point shifting him to CF considering Martial is one of our best players and he is much better CF.

edcunited1878

He's back on loan for one season and his RM contract ends June 2022. Unless he guides Spurs to top 4 or a Europa League title, then it's a failure of a loan the fact that he's a temporary player then Spurs attacking force is back where it is. I think the key to Spurs anyways is a proper central midfield creator that they've been missing since Eriksen's peak and player health in Kane and Bale.

monosierra

He's back on loan for one season and his RM contract ends June 2022. Unless he guides Spurs to top 4 or a Europa League title, then it's a failure of a loan the fact that he's a temporary player then Spurs attacking force is back where it is. I think the key to Spurs anyways is a proper central midfield creator that they've been missing since Eriksen's peak and player health in Kane and Bale.
Success builds on success. I think if he helps to deliver trophies or CL football, his time here would be worth the investment as it allows Spurs to present itself as a more attractive option for future transfer targets.

edcunited1878

Success builds on success. I think if he helps to deliver trophies or CL football, his time here would be worth the investment as it allows Spurs to present itself as a more attractive option for future transfer targets.
They weren't able to build on said success the previous 3 years which included a CL Final...because they don't have the funds or budget. And they have a stadium debt to manage...all now during a pandemic which has eliminated a large revenue stream for them.

Their team with Bale isn't complete and it's very reliant on the health and performance of Kane and Bale. Son, Dele, Moura can only do so much. They don't have impactful central midfields, unless Lo Celso improves leaps and bounds.

Their wage structure could also be undermined by Bale seeing if they can afford half his wages, probably north of 200K pounds, then incoming players or existing players like Son, maybe Dele, will push their luck to see if they can break into that higher wage bracket.

Spurs best chance at a trophy will be League, FA, or Europa. And they need to advance deep into Europa to generate additional revenue, even if it's not nearly as much as Champions League revenue.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I have to admit it’s going to be interesting to watch. On paper him Son and Kane should be excellent but they do have sourpus at the wheel.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
They weren't able to build on said success the previous 3 years which included a CL Final...because they don't have the funds or budget. And they have a stadium debt to manage...all now during a pandemic which has eliminated a large revenue stream for them.

Their team with Bale isn't complete and it's very reliant on the health and performance of Kane and Bale. Son, Dele, Moura can only do so much. They don't have impactful central midfields, unless Lo Celso improves leaps and bounds.

Their wage structure could also be undermined by Bale seeing if they can afford half his wages, probably north of 200K pounds, then incoming players or existing players like Son, maybe Dele, will push their luck to see if they can break into that higher wage bracket.

Spurs best chance at a trophy will be League, FA, or Europa. And they need to advance deep into Europa to generate additional revenue, even if it's not nearly as much as Champions League revenue.
There is no chance they win the League. None at all. They have gone all in for a cup with Mou and Bale.

Jam

That number has been bandied around on social media but God knows what is true and what is not.
I think the general belief is that 600,000 is Bale’s wage ceiling as in if all bonuses etc are met, and his actual base salary is substantially lower (by substantially lower I mean in general terms, because if he’s still walking away with anything between 350-500K it’s still massive.)

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Dunno about anyone else but im delighted he's back in the Prem, hope it works out for him and hope he proves to real madrid he still "has it".
Same here. I’m actually quite excited to see how spurs play with Son Kane and Bale.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He’ll be player of the year. He’s still world class and I think he’ll be the best player in the league.

SATA

You are selling him a bit short, his finishing and set pieces are fecking top drawer. The comparisons to Sanchez are lazy.
That’s what we thought too after Sanchez arrived here from Arsenal. But yeah i see your point. For one, you can always send him back to Real if he turns out anywhere like Alexis

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
You are selling him a bit short, his finishing and set pieces are fecking top drawer. The comparisons to Sanchez are lazy.
Agreed. Not bummed we didn't get him but he ll be exciting for the league for sure. Hopefully we ll still get to witness a top level Bale for another season or 3. When they play anyone other than us that is.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That’s what we thought too after Sanchez arrived here from Arsenal. But yeah i see your point. For one, you can always send him back to Real if he turns out anywhere like Alexis
Agreed. Not bummed we didn't get him but he ll be exciting for the league for sure. Hopefully we ll still get to witness a top level Bale for another season or 3. When they play anyone other than us that is.
Firstly I know I am biased here but people saying he has hardly played in 2 years are way off the mark, 60 games over the last 2 years but clearly he hasn't been arsed at all for what ever reason. Im choosing to think that his "injuries" have been something him and ZZ were happy to live with to try and move him out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.