Garnacho..our new #7

Drizzle

Can see it now.

- Ronaldo leaves.
- Big fuss about Garnacho being our new wonderkid, 'like a new signing'
- Rashford bigged up as a striker, perhaps off a goal or two at the WC.
- Convenient media leaks about a huge striker signing in the summer - Kane or maybe a WC flavour of the month, fans get excited
- Zero money spent in January, season drifts disappointingly due to raw lack of goals, but Glazers still take dividends.

Bobade

Except Charlie Mitten, David Pegg, Albert Scanlon, Bobby Charlton, John Connelly, George Best, John Aston, David Herd, Ian Storey-Moore, Gerry Daly, Gordon Hill, Mickey Thomas, Sammy McIlroy, Ray Wilkins, Steve Coppell, Arnold Muhren, Jesper Olsen, Peter Davenport, Danny Wallace, Lee Sharpe, Anthony Martial...and host of lesser known players.
Wasn't George Best battering his wife on the regular?

Sir Erik ten Hag

Can see it now.

- Ronaldo leaves.
- Big fuss about Garnacho being our new wonderkid, 'like a new signing'
- Rashford bigged up as a striker, perhaps off a goal or two at the WC.
- Convenient media leaks about a huge striker signing in the summer - Kane or maybe a WC flavour of the month, fans get excited
- Zero money spent in January, season drifts disappointingly due to raw lack of goals, but Glazers still take dividends.
Garnacho wasn't called up to the WC squad, though.

Eli Zee

OK. My point is, they will build the fan hype around the kid and use it as an excuse not to spend money. And a lot of us will go along with it.
No they won't... we are well aware we need a top striker and ronaldo Garnacho and Rashford are not changing anyone opinions of that.

bringbackbebe

OK. My point is, they will build the fan hype around the kid and use it as an excuse not to spend money. And a lot of us will go along with it.
Glazers can't be accused of not spending money on the squad. We've outspent all our rivals post SAF. Not spending it wisely is a different story, so is not developing facilities.

Drizzle

Glazers can't be accused of not spending money on the squad. We've outspent all our rivals post SAF. Not spending it wisely is a different story, so is not developing facilities.
Given we will only have one number 9 by January, if they don't buy another straight away then they can be accused of it. Let's see shall we.

Alanxyz

Anyone consider that Garnacho might be extremely happy with the number 49 shirt? In this day and age where so much is geared towards social media and image rights etc it doesn’t take a marketing genius to turn that 49 into his initials and some fancy trademark.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Bit soon let's not pile too much on him.
This 100%.

Kid has already been reported as having had attitude problems. It is way too early for him to be #7. What we need is to sign a proper striker and have Garnacho be understudy/competition for Rashford on the left, while Antony and Sancho should compete for the right winger spot.

Elanga should probably be sold or loaned

KanieKaned

Ronnie's days are numbered and I think it would be a great thing if the shirt was passed on to a brilliant young 18yo that has come from the academy.
Nope. That is a lot of pressure for the kid on top of the attention he's already getting. I think the jersey should be left vacant for a season or two. If he can keep up changing games and cementing himself a starting place then just maybe he gets it.

Bondi77

Nope. That is a lot of pressure for the kid on top of the attention he's already getting. I think the jersey should be left vacant for a season or two. If he can keep up changing games and cementing himself a starting place then just maybe he gets it.
Not that long ago a young man took over the jersey from an icon and he had not played a game for us and that worked out Okay.
It didn't work out for Depay and when Valencia had it briefly it coincided with defences working out that all they had to was show him the inside and that negated his strength so we could pose an argument that it has nothing to do with the number it was down to a player that by all accounts thought he had made it simply by joining Utd and did not apply himself and the other was a good player but a bit of a one trick pony.
It should be an honour and not a burden to wear that shirt and it looks like the kid has got the tools to do it proud.

KanieKaned

Not that long ago a young man took over the jersey from an icon and he had not played a game for us and that worked out Okay.
It didn't work out for Depay and when Valencia had it briefly it coincided with defences working out that all they had to was show him the inside and that negated his strength so we could pose an argument that it has nothing to do with the number it was down to a player that by all accounts thought he had made it simply by joining Utd and did not apply himself and the other was a good player but a bit of a one trick pony.
It should be an honour and not a burden to wear that shirt and it looks like the kid has got the tools to do it proud.
Ronaldo was quite a unique individual. Crazy levels of talent for his age and confidence. He also came into what was a much stronger squad that didn't have to rely on him. He was essentially able to go out there and enjoy himself throw step overs and learn. Garnacho will not be allowed such a luxury as much as we all enjoy seeing him do what he does, There will be games where the consistency won't be there. Depay couldn't handle the pressure in a team that was weaker overall than that of the one Ronaldo had and he hasn't been pulling up trees since he left us IMO. In Valencias first season he scored 5 goals and assisted 8 and was nominated for the PFA PL team of the year. A lot of people like to think he got the ball tapped it past his man and smashed every single time. Far from it. He could whip a bal inl and pick out a man with a clever pass. August of his second season he broke, dislocated and suffered ligament damage to his ankle. The one trick pony you speak of suffered a very serious injury which hampered his game going forward and a lot of players may never have came back from.

Garnacho is talented I don't deny that but he needs time and given the position we are in where we are building something he doesn't need all the pressure that the jersey brings with it. Shield the boy for the time being. Before we hand him something as big as the no.7 jersey lets tie him down to a long term contract.

van Nistelrooy

For a player who has apparently been hampered by attitude issues, giving him the #7 would be a dreadful decision.

Make him earn it. At least let's see another season of promise after this one and then let's see.

Boondog

Anyone consider that Garnacho might be extremely happy with the number 49 shirt? In this day and age where so much is geared towards social media and image rights etc it doesn’t take a marketing genius to turn that 49 into his initials and some fancy trademark.
I interpret it as 7 being the square root of 49 means he wants it. But I like the idea of letting them earn it, leave it vacant through the remainder of the season. Then give it to your choice after the offseason is over and roster adjustments are made.

Grande

I interpret it as 7 being the square root of 49 means he wants it. But I like the idea of letting them earn it, leave it vacant through the remainder of the season. Then give it to your choice after the offseason is over and roster adjustments are made.
I agree, 7x7. Trainings are going to be crunchtime when the others are in Qatar. Jadon Sancho (2+5=7) will also feel if he impresses at Carrington, he may bypass Eriksen (7+7) before he returns. And Amad (1+6), Antony (7+7+7) and Pellistri (7+7+7+7) will all claim the number 7 belongs to a natural right winger.

Boondog

I agree, 7x7. Trainings are going to be crunchtime when the others are in Qatar. Jadon Sancho (2+5=7) will also feel if he impresses at Carrington, he may bypass Eriksen (7+7) before he returns. And Amad (1+6), Antony (7+7+7) and Pellistri (7+7+7+7) will all claim the number 7 belongs to a natural right winger.
Thank you for your support.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The 7 might not even go to anyone in the current squad. Might go to a superstar signing next season. However the manager might use it to improve current players performances. What I don’t want to happen is someone work hard to get it and then once they’ve got it they turn crap again. If he’s gonna give it to a current squad player then I’d leave it till after next season. Give it someone who’s had a full good season and deserves it!

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Reckon we'll loan Felix until the summer with him taking the #7 only for him to flop so he won't be signed, then leaving the #7 vacant for a year so one of the youngsters can fight for it unless we get Mbappe or someone truly special.

Andersons Dietician

Surely It’ll go to Sancho. Might be the confidence booster he needs. Suppose it could also break him completley which if that happens sell and give it to whomever deserves it.