Garth Crooks appreciation thread

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Don't think any of our defenders should've got in to be honest, although Lindelof was miles better than Jones and the Valencia inclusion must be some kind of sick joke.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Genuinely think he must be taking the piss. Gives Jones all the credit for the tackle... which was to recover the massive bollock he had dropped, and then Valencia. Riiiiight.

Minimalist

Valencia and Jones, 2 of our worst players made his team of the week.
Bizarre. :lol:

Jones, Valencia and Robertson all were poor.

In fact, Rashford wasn't brilliant either (though it's hardly a controversial choice) but he caused the first goal to happen and finished off the second so that's probably enough for Crooks given the obvious lack of research he puts in.

Bola

Bizarre. :lol:

Jones, Valencia and Robertson all were poor.

In fact, Rashford wasn't brilliant either (though it's hardly a controversial choice) but he caused the first goal to happen and finished off the second so that's probably enough for Crooks given the obvious lack of research he puts in.
Radhford got the sky motm award as I recall

Zoo

Pogba and Lindelof are in.

I have given Pogba untold abuse since his arrival from Juventus but credit where credit is due - since the departure of Jose Mourinho the lad has been immense.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Pogba and Lindelof are in.
Didn't think that was one of Lindelof's better games, due to him being stuck on the left.

Boneli

Quite a bizarre column from Garth this week, although for a change he didn’t just pick all the goal scorers for the week. Two of our players made the team of the week, although I’m sure McTominay would have preferred not to, given how back-handed the comment is. Followed by a strange rant about how Ryan Bertrand didn’t deserve to be sent off for Southampton, because Leicester scored. Really?

Maguire: Since the arrival of Harry Maguire in the back four at Old Trafford there has been a calm in defence. This was no better illustrated than against Liverpool at home and again away at Norwich where VAR did its best to disrupt, confuse and irritate just about everyone. While his team-mates were being awarded penalties and missing them, Maguire remained composed and played the game with a quiet authority. He may have cost £80m but I'm beginning to think he is worth it in the current climate. He might even save Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's job.

McTominay: I've watched this lad a lot in recent weeks and couldn't work out why Solskjaer keeps playing him. He runs about a lot and is certainly not afraid to put his foot it - but a Manchester United player? Against Liverpool he was excellent and after his performance against Norwich he finds himself in my TOTW. He's also bright enough not to get involved in taking penalties for Manchester United. I think I might have misjudged him.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50201142

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
"He's also bright enough not to get involved in taking penalties for Manchester United. I think I might have misjudged him."

That's how he misjudged McTominay? Jesus, how did this guy get a career. Garth Crooks is single-handedly destroying the standard of BBC Sports.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Team of the week time with BBC pundit Garth crooks.
His team features 2 United players this week in Juan Mata and Marcus Rashford.
Here are the pundits views on the pair.

Juan Mata: The ball for Marcus Rashford to score Manchester United's opening goal against a soon-to-be-ravaged Norwich City was wonderful. There are few players in the Premier League capable of delivering such a ball - but Mata is one of them. The former Spain playmaker looked up, saw what Rashford saw, and played a pass that rendered everyone in the ground - including the entire Norwich defence - as spectators. Manchester United are simply not good enough to keep a player of Mata's quality on the bench these days. When is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer going to realise that?
Marcus Rashford: The way Rashford nonchalantly took his first goal against Norwich told you all you need to know about his development. The casual manner in which he celebrated screamed 'this is just what I do for a living' and that it was simply business as usual. I can't help but feel if Jose Mourinho was still at Old Trafford, Rashford would be playing for a club abroad or in the reserves - instead, he is now flourishing at the club he loves.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He’s back at it.

tomaldinho1

He’s back at it.

Not that crazy in honesty. We'd all pick Ronaldo, a lot of Chelsea fans would pick Lukaku and neutrals would be quite split, Lukaku is 3 in 3 & Ronaldo is 2 in 1. Ask this question in May.

El Zoido

If I had to make a choice of playing Ronaldo or Lukaku at centre forward there would be no contest. It would be Lukaku every time. Granted Ronaldo is 36. However, there is a touch of irony in the fact that Lukaku used to play for United and scored some magnificent goals but was never loved by their fans and certainly not in the way Ronaldo is.

The feck is he on about.

Not that crazy in honesty. We'd all pick Ronaldo, a lot of Chelsea fans would pick Lukaku and neutrals would be quite split, Lukaku is 3 in 3 & Ronaldo is 2 in 1. Ask this question in May.
I don't think anybody on the planet would choose Lukaku over Ronaldo, unless you wear red or blue on a Saturday afternoon. Or are an idiotic ex journeyman pro.

See the way an actual good footballer like Alan Shearer was fawning over Ronaldo at the weekend.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yeah it’s crazy picking a guy who’s inferior in every department, and who was inferior in the same league last season.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
See the way an actual good footballer like Alan Shearer was fawning over Ronaldo at the weekend.
Correct. One the best British strikers ever was calling Ronaldo's movement and ability some of the absolute best and encouraging young players and fans to watch the way he plays the game and the standards he sets himself. Real recognises real.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Is it just me or is his staccato approach to writing incredibly difficult to read?

The first thing I want to say about this game is well done referee Jonathan Moss. Last season both Japhet Tanganga and Wilfried Zaha would have been sent off for their unseemly display of petulance. However, that's all it was. What came later was sheer madness. To see Tanganga go to ground chasing lost causes two minutes after the previous incident deserved a sending-off.

Palace wouldn't have won this game if Spurs had kept 11 players on the pitch but Tanganga lost his composure and his discipline. Zaha, on the other hand, kept his. His penalty was well taken and his assist for Odsonne Edouard was Zaha at his best. Great first win for manager Patrick Vieira. I was starting to get a little concerned.

tomaldinho1

Yeah it’s crazy picking a guy who’s inferior in every department, and who was inferior in the same league last season.
I don't think anybody on the planet would choose Lukaku over Ronaldo, unless you wear red or blue on a Saturday afternoon. Or are an idiotic ex journeyman pro.

I would pick Ronaldo but there are a lot of people who doubt he'll be top scorer this season. Not sure why Shearer is suddenly the godfather of striker punditry but him and Wright also spoke glowingly about Lukaku.

As I said, ask this question in May.

SteveCoppellFan

Ive been watching footie pundits for over 35 years and nobody comes close to being as bad as this guy.

Ive flatly refused to watch him on anything for a loooong long time now.

Im amazed he's still employed tbh.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
If I had to make a choice of playing Ronaldo or Lukaku at centre forward there would be no contest. It would be Lukaku every time. Granted Ronaldo is 36. However, there is a touch of irony in the fact that Lukaku used to play for United and scored some magnificent goals but was never loved by their fans and certainly not in the way Ronaldo is.

The feck is he on about.
Rambling lunatic :lol:

vodrake

Pogba didn't make his team of the week which is mad tbh
Probably for the best. Every time I've seen Garth put Pogba in his TOTW, he always either prefaces it by mentioning that he didn't want to put him in, or spends the entire paragraph backhandedly complimenting him or just flat out complaining about him

Trequarista10

The feck is he on about.
He doesn't understand the meaning of the words 'granted' nor 'irony'.

Granted, Gareth Crook is a journalist. The irony is he's not as well respected as other, more respected journalists. Ironically. Granted.