Gary Lineker’s constant ‘heart failure’ jokes to Glenn Hoddle...

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Gary Linekar insulting you must be tricky.

Do you go for tried and trusted "You shit yourself, Gary" or gamble and try to think of a different, wittier insult?
If it’s witty comebacks he’s after, then he should look no further than Charlie Nicholas.

Maccataq

As long as jokes are inclusive, I don't really see the problem. The years of joking about Shearer not winning the FA Cup were great - I think he just likes to have a running joke.

Jambalaya

Linekers ˝jokes˝ will age well if he die of heart attack before Hoddle.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
The difference is that it's on TV to a large audience...I have a gay friend and some of our conversations/jokes would get me sacked, so I'd never say them at work or in front of people I didn't know. You go to a Frankie Boyle show and you know what to expect or could leave....when it's taxpayer funded MOTD, then it's a bit different.

For what it's worth, I think that if people take offence to jokes, then it's their problem...but then you have to apply it to everything. The problem is when you start saying "bald jokes are OK but NEVER ones about sexuality etc" - doesn't matter what the subject, somebody will take offence and it could bring up some really painful memories - Hoddle might be OK with a joke but people that lost their parent's to heart disease or someone who's just been diagnosed with a life-threatening heart condition, not so much.
I understand your point and I didn't really take into account the scope of the audience the joke might hit.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
If Hoddle is fine with it as he was laughing at it and and joking too, so maybe you are a bit snowflake?
Missing the point completely. If Lineker and Hoddle was having a private conversation then all they would have to consider are each other. If their conversation is on a program such as MOTD then it's completely different. If I was on a TV show supposed to be about football, and was mocking someones appearance, race, sexuality or anything else, it's not 'ok' if the person I am joking about is fine with it. Can he mock Ian Wright for being black on MOTD if he is fine with it? Of course not. Having said that, I don't think this is that big of a deal and I don't think we should we get all our pitchforks out, but I've heard these jokes quite a few times on match of the day now, and I don't think it has any place on that program.

SiRed

For me it is all about the intended target of a joke.... If Lineker is targeting anyone who has had heart problems with his joke then of course, that is bang out of order. However, if, more likely he is targeting Hoddle to be the 'punch line' of his joke then that is completely fine and if anybody takes offense to this then you really are a misery.

Apparently our parents / grandparents fought for freedom of speech, i am not sure they would have bothered if they could see what people are taking offense over in todays world.
''I put my life on the line for you to moan about a harmless little joke, grow the fukc up'' would be my train of thought.

izzydiggler

For me it is all about the intended target of a joke.... If Lineker is targeting anyone who has had heart problems with his joke then of course, that is bang out of order. However, if, more likely he is targeting Hoddle to be the 'punch line' of his joke then that is completely fine and if anybody takes offense to this then you really are a misery.

Apparently our parents / grandparents fought for freedom of speech, i am not sure they would have bothered if they could see what people are taking offense over in todays world.
''I put my life on the line for you to moan about a harmless little joke, grow the fukc up'' would be my train of thought.
He was.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
There are very few things in this world more patronising and insufferable than taking offense ON BEHALF of other people.

izzydiggler

When Lineker takes the piss out of Shearer for not winning the FA cup, is he taking the piss out of everyone who’s never won the FA cup?
Look at the thread title...now tell me how taking the piss out Hoddle for having heart problems a) “Not targeting anyone who has had heart problem” (what I originally responded to that resulted in some idiotic emoji) and b) have anything to do with Shearer winning the FA Cup?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
For me it is all about the intended target of a joke.... If Lineker is targeting anyone who has had heart problems with his joke then of course, that is bang out of order..
Did you mean the word 'anyone' or 'everyone' here?

Anyone = Hoddle is indeed anyone.

izzydiggler

Offense is taken not given. That is a direct quote from the ultra PC Ricky Gervais so if you are offended then you can feck off.
Gervais is far from ultra PC and the quote is an argument aimed at people that are.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
He riled up the Daily Mail lot by actually having a social conscience. He seems like a decent fella but he’s never stood much chance of being entertaining surrounded by dullards like Shearer and Murphy.
I always thought the joke now on MOTD was when they rolled out lawro.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Look at the thread title...now tell me how taking the piss out Hoddle for having heart problems a) “Not targeting anyone who has had heart problem” (what I originally responded to that resulted in some idiotic emoji)
Um...because it isn’t?

izzydiggler

Of course it is.

Just him though.
Well yeah but we aren’t talking about other people.

If Lineker is targeting anyone who has had heart problems with his joke then of course, that is bang out of order.”

anyone
/ˈɛnɪwʌn/
pronoun
  1. 1.
    any person or people.
    "there wasn't anyone there"

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Can't we even joke anymore? Any joke is somehow deemed offensive nowadays. I fecking hate these leftist, liberal, PC snowflakes. They're the poison of today's society.

izzydiggler

Is @izzydiggler on a wind up?

From another thread...
About what? I'm not offended or wound up by the joke (although mocking someone publicly over a recent serious health issue is pretty crass). It was a response to the claim that Lineker hadn't mocked someone with a heart problem, which he clearly has.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
About what? I'm not offended or wound up by the joke (although mocking someone publicly over a recent serious health issue is pretty crass). It was a response to the claim that Lineker hadn't mocked someone with a heart problem, which he clearly has.
Reading it back, I think I, and maybe others, thought you were suggesting that he was intentionally mocking everyone who'd had a heart attack, rather than just Hoddle.

Can you clarify? @rcoobc also asked about it.

izzydiggler

Reading it back, I think I, and maybe others, thought you were suggesting that he was intentionally mocking everyone who'd had a heart attack, rather than just Hoddle.

Can you clarify? @rcoobc also asked about it.
Not sure why people would think I was suggesting everyone, when I replied to something saying anyone.

But for clarification's sake, I didn't mean everyone :angel:

Full bodied red

Guarantee it's going to be "the snowflake generation" who cop the blame when it's obvious that it's only middle-aged slaphead gammons who would a) find it offensive and b) actually make complaints to the BBC.

I get offended by the term ' Gammon ' as it is obviously directed at Caucasians and is therefore racist.

So no problem, then, if I refer to black Africans as ' Smoked Irishmen ' which is actually what they were called in Liverpool during the 1950s.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Ah ffs, some of the snowflakes getting all offended in here!!!!! :lol:

I had a massive heart attack last year just before the World Cup, and have heart failure. It's common for someone to make a comment like Linekar did and it's often in the form of a joke. As humans we often mask our biggest fears with humour...I very much doubt Linekar was trying to be offensive, or making fun, or light of things. He was just saying....exciting sh1t does cause heart attacks if someone already has problems....and for those who have been offended by his words really need to take a long hard look at themselves and kop on!

In fact, I was released from hospital the day the World Cup started with the strict instructions to take it easy and not get excited...."But England's playing in the World Cup Doc!" I said....He scribbled out a prescription for a bottle of Xanax and told me to take a couple about an hour before the game starts! :lol: I could barely muster up a cheer everytime we scored! Was kinda like a very polite old timely..."Well done chaps" :lol: Normally I'd be bouncing round the place! Xanax work!

Snowflakes should try a few next time they get offended!:lol: