Gary Neville and others Open Letter to the Government

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He's currently dead in the dead to me thread because he praised Liverpool so I won't be supporting.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why is he tagging Jan? Isn't that the bloke from ESPN. Didnt know they were close.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
All well and good but they also need to look into how the likes of Sky and BT rip off fans.

amolbhatia50k

This is good but why is every problem in football about the Super League. Neville seems to think that's it's the only problem in football even the way he went on about the OT protests.

Tarrou

This is good but why is every problem in football about the Super League. Neville seems to think that's it's the only problem in football even the way he went on about the OT protests.
We welcome the fan-led Government review of the game and hope it leads to lasting change on an array of important concerns; including co-ordinated strategies to deal with racism, supporters’ representation within clubs, LGBTQ issues, ticket costs and the distribution of income.

amolbhatia50k

I cant sign this, I think it's only for Brits. But genuine question, would this have any impact on Glazers ownership at United? It would still be possible to buy a club with a loan and saddle with debt. Selfish perspective I know!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Every problem in football isn’t about the Super League but it’s what threatens the fabric of the domestic game here so I can understand why fan/supporter groups are mounting up pressure on govt.

On Neville personally he tends to be vocal about a lot of subjects, and he was quite vociferous about racism. This is obviously what affects him the most. You have to bear in mind how much family involvement there was in Bury so I don’t think this is just tokenism

Matriac

Why is he tagging Jan? Isn't that the bloke from ESPN. Didnt know they were close.
Well his name is listed as part of the signed in the open letter, so he's already shown support along with a bunch of other pundits.

amolbhatia50k

Well his name is listed as part of the signed in the open letter, so he's already shown support along with a bunch of other pundits.
Interesting. I've just never seen those two pundits on the same platform.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
It currently has a lot more traction than other issues in football, so it makes sense to put it at the forefront of the campaign. It's an issue that has united a lot of rival fans in the UK, so use that to bring them together on other issues too.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Football needs to be fixed but I don't see what is mentioned in the petition being particularly helpful. If you want to fix the game I would class football clubs as community assets, with the fans having a stake that would enable them to prevent something like the super league, and not as normal businesses. Something like a leveraged buyout of a football club should not be legal. If wealthy owners want to invest money, they shouldn't be stopped, they also shouldn't have full control of the club. Football clubs belong to the supporters as much as the owners as we currently know them.

From a competitive perspective, football is largely an economic competition and not a sporting one. Ultimately that is killing it as a sport, very boring in most countries with the same teams winning every year. The other thing that is killing it is the dinosaur ultra expensive broadcasting deals. Cheap ubiquitous smart TV or streaming of any game you want is the future. Yet they've just gone and tied the dinosaur TV deals in for another few years, which will make things even worse short term. Supporters are getting older, need to get younger fans in using technology and making it much cheaper to go to games.

All well and good but i can't see what the government can really do to stop a private citizen buying a private company and doing whatever they want with it.

I'm also eagerly awaiting his petition to stop Sky setting the blueprint for ripping fans off.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
"Ah yes but why isn't Gary Neville doing a million other similar things". Tiresome.

Signed, Gary is brilliant. At least he's trying to actually do something.

Godfather

A regulator without proper regulations? What is this? How about a 50+1 petition first?

Hulksmash

Can someone clarify me what a independent football regulator does?

Born2Lose

Regulate what? That's the question
Yes this is the problem, I'm pretty sure it won't be telling PL clubs or Sky and BT to reduce prices. With Neville and the other names backing it feels much more like a trojan horse to protect the status quo rather than do much for the average fan.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
"At 100,000 signatures, this petition will be considered for debate in Parliament"

So this is what RAWK meant by 'taking it to the Parliament' :lol:

Guy Incognito

The media is regulated but funny how BT and Sky are happy to have a closed shop when it comes to league coverage, left unchallenged.

Thank god for free streaming.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This has been weeks in the making and Jan was one of the original signees. It's not about random Twitter tagging

charlenefan

A regulator without proper regulations? What is this? How about a 50+1 petition first?
50+1 is going to be hard to implement, forcing owners to sell half their company it would get laughed out of court

Godfather

50+1 is going to be hard to implement, forcing owners to sell half their company it would get laughed out of court
It would not be laughed out of court if it's law. Not saying a referendum on that topic would succeed but it would be more meaningful that this petition.

The only thing that will be laughed at by all parties is a neutral "regulator". What exactly should be the purpose of such a position?

charlenefan

It would not be laughed out of court if it's law. Not saying a referendum on that topic would succeed but it would be more meaningful that this petition.

The only thing that will be laughed at by all parties is a neutral "regulator". What exactly should be the purpose of such a position?
you can't retrospectively inforce a law to sell half your company don't be ridiculous

from what I understand this independent regulator would be a non profit organisation and as I've said previously would look to replace the FA so in the case of the ESL football clubs would have to run such an idea through this body rather than just announce they're doing it

Varun1

Can someone quiz him on Peter Lim and what he's doing to Valencia! Or how Salford's riches outweigh other clubs.

Godfather

you can't retrospectively inforce a law to sell half your company don't be ridiculous

from what I understand this independent regulator would be a non profit organisation and as I've said previously would look to replace the FA so in the case of the ESL football clubs would have to run such an idea through this body rather than just announce they're doing it
No need to inforce it retrospectively at all. Also the 50+1 rule wouldn't need to be inforced on the ownership per se. It would be enough if it was inforced on the deciding boards of football clubs. There'd be quite a few other possible solutions too I'd imagine.

Too much focus on the ESL. It's a cute idea but doesn't even touch the main issues.

By the way: I'm not against the idea. I would sign it. It just doesn't go far enough in my opinion

stevoc

Of course but it might be possible it could be made law that going forward every purchase of an English club has to incorporate 50+1 into it's ownership model. So over time it could be implemented granted probably a long time but it's better than nothing.

Which would also hopefully deter anymore predatory buy outs like the Glazers or sportwashing projects like Abu Dhabi City.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
A silly question but how can the Government enforce 50+1 ownership even if they wanted to, now that Glazers & Co. legally own their clubs?

tomaldinho1

Even though there is zero info - it's clear the PL needs regulation so we all should sign.

Will it change anything, probably not, but you have to try.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
A silly question but how can the Government enforce 50+1 ownership even if they wanted to, now that Glazers & Co. legally own their clubs?
50+1 doesn’t have to be viewed as 51% fan owned. Just that 51% of decision makers have to agree to key decisions. So A dilution of authority, but no dilution of earning potential.

Obviously those two things are linked, an entity that you own but do not fully control would not be an attractive proposition... but that’s the point.

I feel that people just grab a headline and quote it. If everyone took a few hours and actually read up on how the Bundesliga operates, you’re getting there. Even that’s not perfect (see exemption rules/debates).

Dante

Average bang

Listen from 15:45 to 19:03 for a really good summary of what the end-goal is.

If you're outside the UK, use M16 0RA as your postcode.

At 72,537 signatures so far. I'd encourage anyone to sign it if they care about the integrity of football. Because that's what's at stake.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Can someone quiz him on Peter Lim and what he's doing to Valencia! Or how Salford's riches outweigh other clubs.
But those owner(s) aren’t looking to destroy the league with a breakaway that also does away with promotion and relegation.

There have always been owners who are wealthier than others