Gary Neville gives passionate must-watch analysis of Man United's problems | MNF

crossy1686

career ending
I think he knows the task at hand and probably all the politics which come with it at this club. If I was him, and in the position he is in, I would also seriously think twice about the move.
I've been there before. Went for interviews, they promise you the world, get the job and it's completely different.
Agree. I don't think the board have even decided the job function yet so I don't know why you would agree to move to a club that can't even define what they want their DOF to do yet. If you're going to have zero autonomy and be Woodward's secretary then what's the point?

Anyone can pick up the phone and keep in contact with pre-defined transfer targets if that's the job role. And if it is, you want a United legend doing it.

Verminator

Neville is right about needing a restructure, but he needs to realise that the basics need to be achieved, by his mates in the coaching staff. Watching Martial strolling around like Andy Dufrasne, Rashford floundering on his own in a team sport, or Lukaku being totally gassed after 25 minutes because he had a sprint, are all things that are sorted on grass or in the gym, not in the boardroom.

Sorry about that long sentence.
We have the facilities and technology to have athletes performing at optimum levels. That they are so far from that, is on the coaching staff.

mu4c_20le

I didn't think he said anything new, in fact the most important thing he said is that we need to get rid of the players that dont want to be here, because right now they arent fighting for the shirt. Everything else about club structure is basically hindsight, anyone who looks at our broken squad and wonder what went wrong, can probably point to recruitment and lack of structure over the years.

StrettyEnder07

That's the point :lol:

Jose was hired to fix recruitment and he hired his own head of scouting, who left a year into the job for a DoF role elsewhere in Europe, memories a bit sketchy whom it was. But the point remains, the board gave squad autonomy to Jose and said build. He didn't or couldn't, take your pick.

The irony in your accusations about "kicking off". The key word you use in your post above is, "Linked".

That's all it is, for now. United are always linked to players, almost hundreds of them daily.

If you keep letting yourself get so vexed about every link you'll be in an early grave lad.

Any number of things could of happened with the Fernandes deal, here's a few for you.

Maybe we didn't get him cause Ole didn't want him?
Maybe it was Jose that wanted him?
Maybe Ole did want him but due to only being made manager recently City already had the deal all but boxed off?
Maybe the other rumor is true, you know the one where Ole & Mike want a strong foundation of home grown talents?
Maybe he doesn't wanted to join United? It could be for any number of reason like not wanting to play for Ole? Or a club not in the CL? Or maybe he'll be offered more cash across the City?

Or maybe its all just tabloid nonsense? :confused:
Correct, well done, Jose was hired to do all that and he cracked on with it, first season two trophies (three if you include the Shield), Champions League football then second the next season, what happened when he wanted to push on after finishing 2nd, wanted Maguire, wanting further backing, even though he was brought in to sort out the recruitment side of it and bring in his own people, guess what happened, thats right, big Ed rocked up and blocked it "we don't need a CB, we will back you with all of 50m quid".

Year later, we need to spend christ knows how much to get anywhere near the top 2, you think it's just down to Jose or who he brought in or whatever, crack on.

My opinion is it is Woodward who is the issue, can't even blame the Glazers as they have backed managers, the issue is that little bell who thinks the club is his football manager plaything.

Not sure why you are waffling on about reasons we didn't sign Fernandes, not once did I say anything about him signing for us bar the fact that City look to have wrapped it up quickly, I might have missed something but very much doubt it.

And yeah players LINKED with the club, seeing as I don't work at United or in the press, at this stage of the season being linked with players is pretty much all we have to go on, would you not agree?

No doubt your response will serve up a shed load more unrelated issues, can't wait haha

Hoof the ball

I kind of disagree.

Look at Arsenal of the last 12 years under wenger. He always emphasized technical ability over determination and they became a completely weak team. The problem is, when players are better technically than those around them, they can end up weaker mentally, thinking they don’t have to work as hard or that they deserve better.
To me the best players have a mix of mental toughness, work rate and technique.
Players with talent might not have it in them to push themselves to work hard enough (ravel Morrison)

Roy Keane wasn’t the most gifted footballer but he was one of the best ever mentally, one of the best premier league players ever, ahead of countless lads with more technical ability.
(Keane could play as well of course)
We're not disagreeing.

I factored in determination into the scouting emphasis that results from a prior philosophy being instituted. It's not a question of either/or. It's not a case of technique or determination. I simply added that it is easier for a great technical player to increase his stamina, work-rate and physical qualities since these are part of conditioning training, which anyone can do, talented or otherwise. In contrast, a hard-working player with limited ability is far less likely to improve his technical qualities in proportion to his physical ones since no amount of effort can impact natural ability to a great degree.

In summary to the above. Choosing a philosophy and picking players to suit that philosophy guarantees that the scouting finds players with both high technical ability and high determination.

As for Keane, his quality on the ball and his technique in general is very much understated. He was one of the best passers in the team and no one, except Scholes, could pass through lines of play like Keane could. Keane didn't lack for fitness, determination or technical ability.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I think he's bang on.

Even with the Mourinho stuff he's right, that idiot never moved to Manchester or totally ingrained himself in the club so what happened was also on him. But who was telling him he couldn't have certain players?

Mourinho was never the right fight, I've never wavered on that. But Woodward is clearly a huge problem too, so is asking former players to be DoF, it shows we really don't have a plan at all.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I didn't think he said anything new, in fact the most important thing he said is that we need to get rid of the players that dont want to be here, because right now they arent fighting for the shirt. Everything else about club structure is basically hindsight, anyone who looks at our broken squad and wonder what went wrong, can probably point to recruitment and lack of structure over the years.
He named Woodward and said he's had enough time to try to prove himself in footballing operations and he's failed. - despite Carragher's best efforts to derail the discussion (the absolute cnut).
He said the club should hire first class staff, not ex players with no experience, to restructure the club.

mu4c_20le

Mourinho was never the right fight, I've never wavered on that. But Woodward is clearly a huge problem too, so is asking former players to be DoF, it shows we really don't have a plan at all.
The plan was always to hire a strong manager and leave everything to him and his team. That was the United way. It is only when things arent going well, that that is being questioned

mu4c_20le

He named Woodward and said he's had enough time to try to prove himself in footballing operations and he's failed. - despite Carragher's best efforts to derail the discussion (the absolute cnut).
He said the club should hire first class staff, not ex players with no experience, to restructure the club.
I know, i listened to the whole thing yesterday though i was slightly distracted by the city goal and being drunk. Going after the likes of Rio and Fletcher who have no experience does seem a bit odd.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Neville defended Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho. It’s one thing to be passionate about the club, but if you couldn’t see at the moment he was appointed that Moyes was the wrong choice for the job it’s hard to take him seriously.

Love the passion, but his analysis is a bit thin on actual analysis.
What he actually said about David Moyes was that he was suited to the structure at that time of a business leader and a football leader.
Now. I was not impressed with his appointment but he had done very well at Everton.
The other problem he had was certain players not respecting him and not playing for him. Ring any bells.

As he said LVG was a highly successful and highly regarded manager.
Ok. Sometimes things just don't work out.
For me Jose should have been appointed to replace SAF particularly with the rise of City.
To say that he is a serial winner is an understatement.
GN is quite right. As soon as they decided to not back him he was a lame duck manager and a group of players decided to underperform to force him out.
The only manager who I cannot understand why he was appointed is Ole.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think he's bang on.

Even with the Mourinho stuff he's right, that idiot never moved to Manchester or totally ingrained himself in the club so what happened was also on him. But who was telling him he couldn't have certain players?

Yeah, agreed.

Gary makes the point quite well. Even if the managers were bad appointments, you have to either back them 100% or get rid as soon as you're no longer willing to back them. Mourinho's dead duck final half season was a dreadful waste of everyone's time. Once the powers that be decided he couldn't be trusted to sign the central defender he thought needed to compete, what the hell was the point of leaving him in charge? Pissed me off at the time and is even more irritating with hindsight.

mu4c_20le

I'm not sure what your point is there.
That people are exaggerating when they moan about the club having no plan. It's not like we were a nothing club that won a lottery and became rich recently. There was always a plan, and it's worked well enough for us, until Fergie left.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Neville defended Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho. It’s one thing to be passionate about the club, but if you couldn’t see at the moment he was appointed that Moyes was the wrong choice for the job it’s hard to take him seriously.

Love the passion, but his analysis is a bit thin on actual analysis.
All he was doing was giving each manager an opportunity to prove they have what it takes. Seems very sensible to me. I would recommend everyone do the same with Ole. If only for the good of your mental health. The alternative is just miserable.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Credit where it is due, he's finally got his head out of his ass and is back talking sense again. Long overdue.
I have to say that I enjoyed listening to him and his passion far more than I did watching the pathetic primadonnas against Chelsea.
And I agree with him. I find it very hard to actually like any of the current players.
They can kiss the badge all day long. It is bullshit.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah, agreed.

Gary makes the point quite well. Even if the managers were bad appointments, you have to either back them 100% or get rid as soon as you're no longer willing to back them. Mourinho's dead duck final half season was a dreadful waste of everyone's time. Once the powers that be decided he couldn't be trusted to sign the central defender he thought needed to compete, what the hell was the point of leaving him in charge? Pissed me off at the time and is even more irritating with hindsight.
Completely.

I can't fathom why people want the same thing to keep happening. GN is right here, we need to restart with a proper plan and one which involves going out and getting the best guys to run from the top.

That people are exaggerating when they moan about the club having no plan. It's not like we were a nothing club that won a lottery and became rich recently. There was always a plan, and it's worked well enough for us, until Fergie left.
There was a plan, Ferguson had it. Now we are rudderless.

You can keep wanting the same thing to happen over and over, that's fine. But me, I'd like to see a real change in operations and a rebuild.

redshaw

I think he's bang on.

Do you know who Txiki Begiristain is?

He was a Barcelona player, stopped playing, did some commentary then became DoF at Barcelona then left there and joined City and is instrumental in what they've done. An ex player. Directors of Football don't grow on some mythical football tree of knowledge waiting to be plucked.

The key is to make the right decisions ultimately, Ed has shown time after time he can't do them and much like a day trader he loses 90% of his trades.

Hawks2008

ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON GAZ, everything he says is spot on, club is riddled with clowns that need shipping out. Just look at the last few hours:

Sky: City close to Rodri/Felix/Bruno Fernandes - All in talks, all done under the carpet, could be 3 massive signings and the season not even finished.

United - Linked with a Norwich defender, Swansea RW, 2 Turkish lads from some random club, Bale & Kroos and 90m Maguire - Absolutely clueless no process no plan.

Seriously worrying times we could fall an absolute mile behind, 7 years Woodward has been doing this, how are there no protests against him on a weekly basis, club is an absolute state.
Truly depressing :(

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
All he was doing was giving each manager an opportunity to prove they have what it takes. Seems very sensible to me. I would recommend everyone do the same with Ole. If only for the good of your mental health. The alternative is just miserable.
Disagree with that. Doing that for a certain period is fair enough, any rational person would do that.. he would stick with backing the manager far beyond what was reasonable to do so. He does that with certain players too (generally if they happen to be English).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Disagree with that. Doing that for a certain period is fair enough, any rational person would do that.. he would stick with backing the manager far beyond what was reasonable to do so. He does that with certain players too (generally if they happen to be English).
Meh. I think that people on here, in general, are far too impatient about everything. Be that new signings, young footballers development, managers, whatever. So if Gary provides a counter-point to these sort of attitudes then that's all good by me. My personal preference would be that it's better to be too patient than not patient enough. In football, in life, in everything.

StrettyEnder07

Truly depressing :(
I mean I have no issue buying players from lower league or lower Prem League, dunno just all seems so up in the air.

Agent saying the other day that he does not even have a contact at United regarding recruitment, absolute shambles the way it is run, scary!

Keefy18

Correct, well done, Jose was hired to do all that and he cracked on with it, first season two trophies (three if you include the Shield), Champions League football then second the next season, what happened when he wanted to push on after finishing 2nd, wanted Maguire, wanting further backing, even though he was brought in to sort out the recruitment side of it and bring in his own people, guess what happened, thats right, big Ed rocked up and blocked it "we don't need a CB, we will back you with all of 50m quid".

Year later, we need to spend christ knows how much to get anywhere near the top 2, you think it's just down to Jose or who he brought in or whatever, crack on.

My opinion is it is Woodward who is the issue, can't even blame the Glazers as they have backed managers, the issue is that little bell who thinks the club is his football manager plaything.

Not sure why you are waffling on about reasons we didn't sign Fernandes, not once did I say anything about him signing for us bar the fact that City look to have wrapped it up quickly, I might have missed something but very much doubt it.

And yeah players LINKED with the club, seeing as I don't work at United or in the press, at this stage of the season being linked with players is pretty much all we have to go on, would you not agree?

No doubt your response will serve up a shed load more unrelated issues, can't wait haha
He cracked on with it? How? He made fewer squad changes in a longer period of time than LVG had. He was given squad autonomy as we've agreed, hired his head scout and just went for his usual profile of player for the most part, whilst pushing 2 young lads like Rashford & Martial into competing with each other, when it wasn't needed. Rashford was performing as a CF and Martial a LWF.

His first season he finished worse off than LVG in the league, but was saved by winning B standard cups to save his job.

The following year he again done the bare minimum in regards to squad rebuild and couldn't close the gap on City.

That's all Jose...not the board or Woodward.

Went into season 3 bemoaning the fact he needed a centre half, but sold Blind and his 2 CB's he got failed. Whilst retaining deadwood like Fellaini and Darmian and wouldn't work with the board / Woodward in offloading deadwood to raise funds for the players he wanted.

Again, Jose largely to blame. He could of told Woodward to sell players to raise funds, he didn't. He actually forced Woodward into giving Fellaini a new deal.

Ferguson was often refused players, Do you think Poch was delighted not spending a cent last summer? Where is he now? Above us and in a CL semi Final.

Jose reaction though was standard Jose and he engineered himself into a pay off cause he wasn't capable of building a new team.

He just wanted to spend with reckless abandon. We don't have a bottomless pit.

Your having a complete melt over a feckin rumor lad, chill out.

Members are pulling you up over it cause your being knee jerk.

Ekeke

ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON GAZ, everything he says is spot on, club is riddled with clowns that need shipping out. Just look at the last few hours:

Sky: City close to Rodri/Felix/Bruno Fernandes - All in talks, all done under the carpet, could be 3 massive signings and the season not even finished.

United - Linked with a Norwich defender, Swansea RW, 2 Turkish lads from some random club, Bale & Kroos and 90m Maguire - Absolutely clueless no process no plan.

Seriously worrying times we could fall an absolute mile behind, 7 years Woodward has been doing this, how are there no protests against him on a weekly basis, club is an absolute state.
Weird mixed signals here. First you're saying City are doing deals under the carpet, yet you know about them from the media. Thats if its even correct. So no, not done under the carpet at all.

For all you know we are doing deals under the carpet, thats why you dont know about them

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Neville is right about needing a restructure, but he needs to realise that the basics need to be achieved, by his mates in the coaching staff. Watching Martial strolling around like Andy Dufrasne, Rashford floundering on his own in a team sport, or Lukaku being totally gassed after 25 minutes because he had a sprint, are all things that are sorted on grass or in the gym, not in the boardroom.

Sorry about that long sentence.
We have the facilities and technology to have athletes performing at optimum levels. That they are so far from that, is on the coaching staff.
And the players themselves.
I watched Lukaku recently run about 35 meters at most at not even maximum pace and for a couple of minutes after he was bent double gasping for air.
He can come and watch me training.
I can still run at 4 minute/km pace for a good few minutes.
Then he can see what being bent double gasping for air feels like.
By the way. I am 68 and not in my mid 20's.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
The concerning thing really is that he is saying what is obvious to pretty much everyone in the world except the people at the club who matter.

TsuWave

Ugh, that was all discussed and clarified. An absolutely separate point to the one he’s making .
yeah well, if the structure around should be best in class so should the manager and I disagree with his assertion that we have attempted best in class managers before, both LVG and Mourinho were washed up.

Hughie77

Brilliant, let's hope someone has taken what's been said on board, and sort the fecking mess out?
Gary said all what most of us are saying and been saying for over 2 yrs or. I'd settle for 6th again next season with the rabble out of the club.

The Irish Connection

We're not disagreeing.

I factored in determination into the scouting emphasis that results from a prior philosophy being instituted. It's not a question of either/or. It's not a case of technique or determination. I simply added that it is easier for a great technical player to increase his stamina, work-rate and physical qualities since these are part of conditioning training, which anyone can do, talented or otherwise. In contrast, a hard-working player with limited ability is far less likely to improve his technical qualities in proportion to his physical ones since no amount of effort can impact natural ability to a great degree.

In summary to the above. Choosing a philosophy and picking players to suit that philosophy guarantees that the scouting finds players with both high technical ability and high determination.

As for Keane, his quality on the ball and his technique in general is very much understated. He was one of the best passers in the team and no one, except Scholes, could pass through lines of play like Keane could. Keane didn't lack for fitness, determination or technical ability.
Agreed!

Ole seems to be emphasizing the mentality side of things as much as the technical for the rebuild which is a good sign.

ForestRGoinUp

Fergie was a bit of a lottery win, was he not? Don't want to imagine him choosing another club at the time.

Lee565

Here's a crazy stat, the current bottom 3 teams failed to register a single point against the current top 6 sides this season in 34 games.......until Huddersfield faced United and earned a point

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
On a principle standpoint I agree with Gary, except indirectly throwing other ex players under the bus regarding recruiting a DoF/committee. At the highest level we need the best in the class but also people connected to the club. The hard part is to get everybody in the right positions.

Next thing I’m done talking about the past and who’s right or wrong. Waist of time IMO.

Nobody knows for sure, except a very few inside the inner circle at the club, who’s to blame and why. We all now that changes has to come if we want better results and that will cost a lot of egos and high earners their jobs. Such a process will create hostility and those in charge of that process will find many enemies with their own agendas.

The million dollar question is if the owners see the problems the way we see them. Increase our chances to be better as a football team is related to huge investments and we don’t know the Glazers agenda regarding the future. Keep or sell? That’s also a factor that probably will determine the future of Woodward as a executive on sports related decisions.

In short Manchester United the football club need a new structure regarding executives and management. I think all of us who care about the club knows this. History and experience says that starting at the top is the best way to succeed so there we are. From my perspective it all starts with the future of Mr Woodward.

mu4c_20le

Fergie was a bit of a lottery win, was he not? Don't want to imagine him choosing another club at the time.
Absolutely. The thing is though, United were already a big club when he came along, but were struggling with a team of unmotivated, unfit, aging has-beens, and he had his work cut out for him. However we've always been a club that gives full autonomy to the manager, and it's a good thing we've placed our trust in him. Unfortuantely there aren't many managers left in the world like SAF, and it seems like our plan is still stuck in the 80s.

ti vu

He's right about so much and even admits he won't criticize the manager anyway. So that helps to set up the routine of dancing around Ole's qualifications.

But I still think he gets it slightly wrong at the end when he says the starting point is players who want to be there. The starting point is a footballing philosophy beyond grit, determination and workrate. You start with a clear modern philosophy and then you find players who fit that and will give maximum effort.
Disagree. The starting point is rightly the players who want to be here. How to get the right players? Structure and culture to nurture the players (philosophy included).

The way you put, you can get Pep and the players can still protest.

Red Stone

He's so right about this it hurts. There's absolutely no vision or plan regarding where we want to go and the blame is entirely on Woodward. He can say "Oh, the manager is in charge of performance on the pitch." but ultimately Woodward is the man responsible for hiring the manager and has hired three now that differ wildly in style and philosophy, which has given us a squad filled with incompatible players.

Moyes signed two polar opposites in Fellaini and Mata. Van Gaal signed a plethora of different players, but most have already left the club and of those remaining only Martial looks to be anywhere close to having the required talent and temperament to play for the club. Mourinho brought in a few players who have mostly either left of flopped, with the common denominator being that they're all a gang of fecking giants, and any sports physiologist will tell you that it's the smaller players that are more suited to running around a lot, so in comes Ole with his mantra that a United team should always outrun their opposition, while we've got a squad of players that look like they want the ground to open up and swallow them whole after less than an hour of football. Feck off.

And throughout this whole period there have been signings that just didn't make sense at all at the time, or after, or signings we didn't make even though we should have. Di Maria was extremely well-received at the time, considering he was one of the very best players of the freshly crowned Champions League winners, but was pretty much never used by LvG, and when he did play it was out of position. Someone fecked up. Either we signed a player the manager didn't want or we signed a player who saw us as a temporary stop on the way to another club, or most likely both. Regardless of what it was it can never be allowed to happen at a club like this. Same with Fred. Who the feck gave that the go-ahead? Mourinho clearly didn't want him and he's clearly not good enough for a top Premier League team. Why is he even here and why did we pay that ludicrous amount of money for him? Why did we sign Sanchez when it was obvious from his last six months at Arsenal that he was on the decline? Why did we give Wayne Rooney a new contract when he was basically Sanchez, just pasty, white, fat and English? Who's doing the background work for these signings, because they're clearly completely fecking clueless.

We have been an absolute joke for six years now because Woodward has been throwing shit at the wall when it comes to the footballing side and has just gone with whatever stuck. In this era of football it's so competitive at the top that it needs years of work where everyone is going in the same direction. We need clever footballing minds to identify where we want to be heading as a club, and then find the players and the managers that fit that vision, so that a new manager can come into a dressing room filled with players that make up a team that's greater than the sum of its parts instead of a jumbled mash of world class talent, has-beens, future stars (if they're actually arsed and are given the platform to develop) and the biggest collection of cocky-because-they're-at-United, but in reality painfully average, dull-as-ditchwater, wimpy also-rans you'll ever see in your life. What's the point of giving Ole a warchest of hundreds of millions of pounds to make the signings he wants if he's going to get sacked or not get his contract renewed and we bring in the next flavour-of-the-month manager that happens to want players that are completely different to those we just bought?

No excuses for Ed Woodward for getting us into this mess. I hope he gets the flu.

redshaw

Yes.

Do you know how many success stories like that there are in comparison to failures?

I'll wait for you to get back to me on that.
Who said anything about success, it was you going on about ex players.

These people are ex players often or coaches.

There is no DoF school. People say get a DoF in but have no clue who it should be, just get one best in class.

SATA

To be honest, if the club offers him the DOF job tomorrow, he'll grab it with both hands with glee. So it's abit rich coming from him criticising about the club offering the role to our ex-players