Gary Neville gives passionate must-watch analysis of Man United's problems | MNF

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Neville chats a lot of rubbish, he said he has never had such a disliking towards a United team like this one but I dont see it, this isn't a squad full of egos like we have seen in the past with teams like Chelsea, Real Madrid, France national team, yes most fans get annoyed at seeing the likes of Matic and Young in our team but not because they dislike them as a human being but because they are a liability on the pitch, how many of these players can you say you truly dislike and believe are dishonest players?

To me it was Neville creating damage limitation for his friend and former team mate Solskjear, it seems too hard for Neville to comprehend the idea that maybe a manager that failed in the championship with Cardif City is struggling to manage a club of United's stature.
Pogba, Rashford, Lukaku, Martial and possibly Lingard all have egos and are the biggest players in this team. The problem is they're not performing anywhere near players from the teams you listed. I don't think that's entirely the issue though, i think it's a distinct lack of effort. Even in this terrible run, nobody watches our games and feels like the players genuinely care or are leaving it all on the pitch to try and push us over the line. There's a whole variety of problems with this team.

Mainoldo

Pogba, Rashford, Lukaku, Martial and possibly Lingard all have egos and are the biggest players in this team. The problem is they're not performing anywhere near players from the teams you listed. I don't think that's entirely the issue though, i think it's a distinct lack of effort. Even in this terrible run, nobody watches our games and feels like the players genuinely care or are leaving it all on the pitch to try and push us over the line. There's a whole variety of problems with this team.
Is this a pun like that Beyoncé song? Apparently it’s just a myth.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Neville chats a lot of rubbish, he said he has never had such a disliking towards a United team like this one but I dont see it, this isn't a squad full of egos like we have seen in the past with teams like Chelsea, Real Madrid, France national team, yes most fans get annoyed at seeing the likes of Matic and Young in our team but not because they dislike them as a human being but because they are a liability on the pitch, how many of these players can you say you truly dislike and believe are dishonest players?

To me it was Neville creating damage limitation for his friend and former team mate Solskjear, it seems too hard for Neville to comprehend the idea that maybe a manager that failed in the championship with Cardif City is struggling to manage a club of United's stature.
I'm sick of most of the United players out there. Sick of the dancing goal celebrations, the fashion business ventures, the personal brands they give themselves, sick of their performances on the field, sick of them going on their blogs, IG or Twitter after a loss and saying they need to "do better" over and over and sick of them demanding big money when they've not done anything close to deserving them.

David Beckham used to get stick for his flash lifestyle and branding. He did more on the field for United than any of those soft cnuts out there ever has.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
What I recall at the time was that Neville praised the appointment of Moyes and disagreed with his sacking. Of course Moyes had done well with Everton, a perennial midtable club, but he was never the right man for the job to manage a club that was in contention for the PL and CL trophies every season.

Van Gaal also had a resume, a better resume that Moyes of course, but Neville should have seen what most supporters saw -- that Van Gaal was never the right fit for Old Trafford. But not a word at the time from Neville.

Mourinho was a reasonable appointment and I supported it and on the point that once the board decided not to back every single transfer request it's a fair argument to make that at that point he should have been sacked. But does that really make sense? Let's think that through for a moment.

Mourinho demanded we bring in Sanchez, a decision which by the end of the season proved to be a colossal disaster. Bailly, another Mourinho acquisition, had gone south. His brief for brilliance in the transfer market, at least for United, wasn't looking great. If according to Neville now Woodward should have sacked Mourinho then, where was Neville then in demanding that Mourinho be sacked? Nowhere.

Even now, Neville backs the manager even when fair questions are raised as to whether Ole should remain manager.

If it weren't such a risk I really wish we could see Neville, Keane and Scholes actually try their hand at managing a football club. Wait...haven't they all and failed?
I see the bolded bit claimed alot here, but Mou apparently claims that he wanted Perisic desperately as he saw him as the perfect winger to fit in with Lukaku, the claim is Sanchez was Ed's compromise offer, whch Mou then accepted as I dont think anyone foresaw how bad he would be.

Dunno if its true or not, but to use Jose demanding Sanchez as fact in a discussion, is building your argument on shifting sands!

Keefy18

To me Neville and his media friends are part of the rot at United.
It's VERY much like the Liverpool players in the 90s, early 2000's giving it loads about the glory days.

Things change, the game evolves and former great players doesn't mean great managers and knowing what is actually best for the club going forward.

Actually I think you're misinterpreting. It's not a double standard, he's keeping up with the standard he's talking about..Ole is the manager now and he won't disrespect him by talking about best of class etc. If he truly felt ole was great he'd have said it I think. But already hired so he can't comfortably criticize the appointment as he can w Phelan and Rio prior to them taking the roles
It's a blatant double standard and talking with rose tinted goggles on. The role he is discussing is extremely difficult to hire for and there is no exact answer as to how it should be done. There are examples of experience DOF's going into clubs and failing and vice versa of employees with no experience getting it spot on and turning clubs fortunes around.

He's talking about, sorry mocking ex players being linked with the role of DoF at United, so I'm guessing he thinks Ajax is a mitigated disaster?

He's saying "best in class" yet ignores the fact David Gill was exactly the same as Ed Woodward, a feckin accountant!

It's full of incorrect rhetoric but folks are doing the usual when Nev talks, running with it.

But who really cares about whatever personal agenda Neville may or may not have. Everything he says there is spot on. It doesn't matter at all how he comes to formulate that opinion.
It's not at all though. It's almost categorically incorrect. It's just sound bites and managerial jargon like "best in class".

He talks about best in class but in many instance with regards DoF, what usually works best is someone with no experience and coming in with a clean slate and learning from the ground up. Look at Ajax with Overmars. Edwards at Liverpool had the bare minimum of experience, he played for Peterborough Reserves... Reserves! Done some data analysis and the like after that and now is running the show at Liverpool.

Monchi the most obvious example, is considered to be the original DoF and was completely unqualified and clubs all over Europe followed his template.

He talks of "best in class" so much but dodges the question from David Jones when asked about "best in class" managers, but yet the manager role is sacred to him and he'll never call for a managers head, has no issue calling for CEO's to be sacked though?

He rounds out his rant with the most idiotic statement that had me in knots about if a manager is ever told no and gone against then he is done for? I mean, really? Like seriously?

FFS, Ferguson was told no so much by Edwards he quit. He was told no by Edwards no so much right after doing a double, then the double double and 3 years later a treble! One year later he said he'd had enough and would retire at the end of 2001! The only reason he done a u-turn was because a new CEO was on the horizon.

Almost everything he said is actually categorically and factually incorrect.

HailtotheKing

Amazing the pro Glazer/Woodward posts in here. Can’t understand it at this stage tbh; wums? Oppo supporters? Clueless?
Ey? How is that a pro Glazer / Woodward post? Personally I think Woodward is an absolute tool. And the Glazers don't give a f*ck about football. It's pure business. And they're shit at it.

Keefy18

Jamie Carragher absolutely destroying Nev and calling his bluff! :lol::lol:

All rhetoric and sitting on the fence.

Walters_19_MuFc

It’s a three headed monster of a side for the most part.

Fergie’s defence
Jose’s midfield
LVG’s Attack

Could have been

Rashford Lukaku Mkhitaryan
Pogba Matic Fred
Shaw Lindelof Bailly Dalot
De Gea

8 out 11 could have been Jose's signings but the players he signed haven't been good enough. That's why the club didn't back him in the end.

red thru&thru

At least Neville trying to do something. we all know, that only the fans have the real power to make chang .

To me Neville and his media friends are part of the rot at United.
Ibrahimovic said the same thing, Neville in particular he talks too much and it's not helping matters. Instead talking nonsense in the studio why doesn't he comeback and work for the club like what Butt has done?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It's VERY much like the Liverpool players in the 90s, early 2000's giving it loads about the glory days.

Things change, the game evolves and former great players doesn't mean great managers and knowing what is actually best for the club going forward.

It's a blatant double standard and talking with rose tinted goggles on. The role he is discussing is extremely difficult to hire for and there is no exact answer as to how it should be done. There are examples of experience DOF's going into clubs and failing and vice versa of employees with no experience getting it spot on and turning clubs fortunes around.

He's talking about, sorry mocking ex players being linked with the role of DoF at United, so I'm guessing he thinks Ajax is a mitigated disaster?

He's saying "best in class" yet ignores the fact David Gill was exactly the same as Ed Woodward, a feckin accountant!

It's full of incorrect rhetoric but folks are doing the usual when Nev talks, running with it.

It's not at all though. It's almost categorically incorrect. It's just sound bites and managerial jargon like "best in class".

He talks about best in class but in many instance with regards DoF, what usually works best is someone with no experience and coming in with a clean slate and learning from the ground up. Look at Ajax with Overmars. Edwards at Liverpool had the bare minimum of experience, he played for Peterborough Reserves... Reserves! Done some data analysis and the like after that and now is running the show at Liverpool.

Monchi the most obvious example, is considered to be the original DoF and was completely unqualified and clubs all over Europe followed his template.

He talks of "best in class" so much but dodges the question from David Jones when asked about "best in class" managers, but yet the manager role is sacred to him and he'll never call for a managers head, has no issue calling for CEO's to be sacked though?

He rounds out his rant with the most idiotic statement that had me in knots about if a manager is ever told no and gone against then he is done for? I mean, really? Like seriously?

FFS, Ferguson was told no so much by Edwards he quit. He was told no by Edwards no so much right after doing a double, then the double double and 3 years later a treble! One year later he said he'd had enough and would retire at the end of 2001! The only reason he done a u-turn was because a new CEO was on the horizon.

Almost everything he said is actually categorically and factually incorrect.

Well said....I really don't feel Nevilles frenzied rants are helping at all. They are formulating opinions where people are now seeing his words as fact. From a performance point of view, there was a noticeable shift from what was working after the PSG and Liverpool games where we picked up a mass of injuries. Ole repeatedly talking about the need to improve fitness. It's almost like the way we were playing brought an upturn in results but turned out not to be sustainable.

This led to a downturn in results and now Neville hates all the players and Ed Woodward again with such passion he can't control his emotions. He and the likes of Scholes clearly cannot connect with modern culture, that's fine but to blame instagram posts for performances? Ridiculous.

We are the worst coached team in the league and have been since Jose came in, we have no set formation, first eleven or system of play. We had a system for a couple of months and a first eleven and there was an upturn. Since that went down the pan we returned to what we'd been doing for two years, slow laborious football....but the manager is apparently not responsible for that (Ole might be right if the injuries were a result of fatigue, hard to imagine they weren't) it's the players who post on instagram, that aren't English and wouldn't have go to the pub with Roy 20 years ago....and Ed who's an accountant not responsible for coaching a team to play football

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The only thing he really said that you can agree with looking back on it is that the playing staff are a bunch of unlikable shithouses.

Our problem, for the last time, is we have a squad FULL of reserve and squad players, there are two, perhaps three players in the entire playing staff who would be considered first team regulars at any other serious challenging club.

You could bring in Ferguson, Pep, Klopp, the ghost of Clough and football Jesus to coach them and they would still be shit, because they ARE shit.

Bestietom

Whether people like it or not he speaks the truth. We can't keep defending the way this club is going. There is massive change needed throughout.

Keefy18

Well said....I really don't feel Nevilles frenzied rants are helping at all. They are formulating opinions where people are now seeing his words as fact. From a performance point of view, there was a noticeable shift from what was working after the PSG and Liverpool games where we picked up a mass of injuries. Ole repeatedly talking about the need to improve fitness. It's almost like the way we were playing brought an upturn in results but turned out not to be sustainable.

This led to a downturn in results and now Neville hates all the players and Ed Woodward again with such passion he can't control his emotions. He and the likes of Scholes clearly cannot connect with modern culture, that's fine but to blame instagram posts for performances? Ridiculous.

We are the worst coached team in the league and have been since Jose came in, we have no set formation, first eleven or system of play. We had a system for a couple of months and a first eleven and there was an upturn. Since that went down the pan we returned to what we'd been doing for two years, slow laborious football....but the manager is apparently not responsible for that (Ole might be right if the injuries were a result of fatigue, hard to imagine they weren't) it's the players who post on instagram, that aren't English and wouldn't have go to the pub with Roy 20 years ago....and Ed who's an accountant not responsible for coaching a team to play football
Your right, he isn't helping, its counter productive.

If folks sit and look at his body language during that rant he's really, really wound up an in a complete tizzy. He can't think clearly and is just trying to get as many insults in as is humanly possible. The irony in his rant is he described United as being like a ping pong ball, which is exactly how he is here.

The players are fat, lazy and badly out of shape due to Jose's style of play of conceding possession to teams and only wanting to counter on teams errors and being reliant on set pieces. Jose's modus operandi was to turn United into Land of the Giants! Almost all his investments are tall, physical types and offer aerial threat, hence he loved Fellaini also.

When Ole first arrived it was fine for the players but playing at a certain tempo every single game so suddenly is a massive change. To tie in with that I think the minute he was made FT manager he had words with certain players, buck up your ideas or your out and possibly to some he told them they had no future.

So we've some players sulking, others not trying at all and the already average to poor players bringing the quality levels down as is, hence the woeful dip in form.

Jackal

I’ve heard it all now. So Liverpool can buy Robertson from Hull but our £30m defenders were dirt poor, not first choice and what cheap? What else was £30m getting you?
Robertson had to be supported with a seasoned £75m defender. If the Hull products are good enough, there shouldn't be any need to sign VDV. £30m defenders United bought had no real quality at the club to hold their hands. Smalling/Jones are outrightly the worst CBs in the top 6. In other words, United bought rookie defenders to understudy quacks. Little wonder, everything has fallen apart.

Mainoldo

Robertson had to be supported with a seasoned £75m defender. If the Hull products are good enough, there shouldn't be any need to sign VDV. £30m defenders United bought had no real quality at the club to hold their hands. Smalling/Jones are outrightly the worst CBs in the top 6. In other words, United bought rookie defenders to understudy quacks. Little wonder, everything has fallen apart.
Jose brought them so blame him. He should have got experience.

Jackal

Jose brought them so blame him. He should have got experience.
They are Woodward's signings. Precedent has told us that Jose has never relied on rookie defenders to challenge for a league title. Carvalho, Gallas, Terry, Ramos, Pepe, Lucio, Walter Samuel, Jorge Costa, etc weren't rookies.

Jose has always prioritised wealth of experience in his defence. Woodward almost always ever buys the cheaper options on the transfer list. Ed's main objective is to save as much money as possible for The Glazers.

Mainoldo

They are Woodward's signings. Precedent has told us that Jose has never relied on rookie defenders to challenge for a league title. Carvalho, Gallas, Terry, Ramos, Pepe, Lucio, Walter Samuel, Jorge Costa, etc weren't rookies.

Jose has always prioritised wealth of experience in his defence. Woodward almost always ever buys the cheaper options on the transfer list. Ed's main objective is to save as much money as possible for The Glazers.
Alright mate, if you say so. I hope Woodward gets some better players this summer then.

IrishRedDevil

‘‘In the last 9 years Gary has won the same amount of trophies as Liverpool have.... and he's been retired for 8 of them you dickhead’’

Subtle but effective response.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
I'm sick of most of the United players out there. Sick of the dancing goal celebrations, the fashion business ventures, the personal brands they give themselves, sick of their performances on the field, sick of them going on their blogs, IG or Twitter after a loss and saying they need to "do better" over and over and sick of them demanding big money when they've not done anything close to deserving them.

David Beckham used to get stick for his flash lifestyle and branding. He did more on the field for United than any of those soft cnuts out there ever has.
Fully agree! If anything comes from Ole being here, then I hope it's a clear out of this type of player, and I hope he instills what being a serious footballer at a massive club is all about. Of course there will be social media and sponsors etc but all the crap you listed is a joke and needs to be curbed and their priorities need to be sorted out. Just a bunch of immature minds who live in their own little protected bubbles with fans and followers telling them how amazing they are constantly. They act more like famous popstars or actors than top sportsmen.

Have fun and enjoy what you do, of course, it must be fecking amazing being a pro at a top club, but as you say, most of these a holes can do one..

What worries me is would we be saying the same thing if they had just won us the title? Or would we put up with it?

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Been meaning to catch up on that video for a while.
He's spot on with everything he said, and to be honest, so much more could have been said.
I just wonder what the likes of Ed think when they hear about this stuff...

AllezLesDiables

I think it’s absolutely dumb fckery for people to constantly think the problem is all down to Ed Woodward not employing a DOF and issue as Gary stated is:

-Dressing Room
-No clue of what player to look for
-Poor characters
-No longevity

It’s just all a bunch of made up crap. It’s simple and very simple. We hire crap managers and we now have instead of 2 squads of crap but 3.

It’s Ole’s turn now and I’m giving him a chance as we all should. But if by November we have; no style of play; the chuckle brothers playing and constant squad rotation. Once again I will blame the manager and continue to do so.

It’s not bloody hard we have two of our rivals painfully winning right now and it’s got zero fcuks to do with having an amazing CEO.
So that’s why every team in the four big sports of North America have the equivalent of a DoF (GM) and each of those GMs have massive support staffs who handle scouting and all the duties related to making sure that those teams get the best players and perform at the highest levels.

Sure not all are good but when you’ve got 120+ plus professional sports franchises worth anywhere from $300 million to 4.8 billion all doing the same thing and your intracity rival is mugging you off like a daft prick ... acting like it doesn’t matter is the epitome of idiocy.

A great GM would have known that the choices of Moyes LBG and Mou were poor because it wasn’t a difficult read. That being said a part of that failure was already fait accompli because there is no cohesive direction/plan of operation for United.

Mainoldo

So that’s why every team in the four big sports of North America have the equivalent of a DoF (GM) and each of those GMs have massive support staffs who handle scouting and all the duties related to making sure that those teams get the best players and perform at the highest levels.

Sure not all are good but when you’ve got 120+ plus professional sports franchises worth anywhere from $300 million to 4.8 billion all doing the same thing and your intracity rival is mugging you off like a daft prick ... acting like it doesn’t matter is the epitome of idiocy.

A great GM would have known that the choices of Moyes LBG and Mou were poor because it wasn’t a difficult read. That being said a part of that failure was already fait accompli because there is no cohesive direction/plan of operation for United.
I’m not saying we don’t need a DoF I’m saying the teams crap because our managers have been crap. If we got a good DoF his first job should be scouting OGS replacements.

AllezLesDiables

Sanchez was never a traditional type winger who'd crossed balls for Lukaku.

It's stories like these, with Woodward dictating who the managers should be buying, that should worry all United fans.
I’m not saying we don’t need a DoF I’m saying the teams crap because our managers have been crap. If we got a good DoF his first job should be scouting OGS replacements.
Yes, but had there been a proper DoF hire after Fergie’s reign, none of those three manager would been hired.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Been meaning to catch up on that video for a while.
He's spot on with everything he said, and to be honest, so much more could have been said.
I just wonder what the likes of Ed think when they hear about this stuff...
That Gary Neville has little clue about the inner workings of Manchester United along with the rest of us and gets paid to create drama... so I dunno, maybe doesn't give a feck?

Aye, but Gary Neville by his own admission isnt qualified to be a Director of Football at Manchester United... but hey, he can sure dictate on tv the way the club should be progressing? feck off. As Fergie pretty much alluded in his autobiography, Neville is a melodramatic princess and more than a few time he's been told to feck off for that reason.

Keane is dead on. He doesn't comment about the club or its structure, he just calls what he sees in regards to the players and the Manager. Neville should know his place and its not commenting on the running of a football club.

haram

If Woodward can disagree with Jose what is stopping him disagreeing with a sporting/technical director. If for example Fletcher is chosen, Woodward is still above him.