Gary Neville was dead to me | Reborn as a Dragon

LiquidSnake

Where did I say that?

I said he contributes to the hatred. Which he does.

Some of that will spill over into racism because there are knuckle dragging shitheads all over the internet, he obviously isn't responsible for that, but he lit the blue touch paper.
That's where I don't agree. How can he lit the blue touch paper and then happen to not be responsible when there's a fire.

He contributes to "hate" (even tough myself I find my word), he might contribute to some part of the hate for Pogba. Fans singling him out in games (defeats like victories), fans wanting to sell him ASAP, fans who don't rate him, fans who don't think his personality match a certain United "criteria"... You can say they might have been influenced by the voice of Neville (even though it's still up to any grown man to have his own voice/concerns/opinions but we know how it works...).

Dumb people insulting Pogba based on the color of his skin, until proven it has nothing to do with Gary Neville.

My problem with what you were saying is that, you're mixing multiples facets into just one. And believe me, I really do not like Gary Neville the emotional pundit :lol:

tenpoless

He definitely stopped short of calling out OGS by name. Obviously couldn’t do that to an old friend. The inference was clear though. And people are calling him a racist because of that?!? Well done people.
Oh yeah, couldn't do that to an old good friend who's always positive and mature (unlike him). But hey, let's cause a hysteria around Pogba, our academy graduate, who has been criticized to death by other pundits and journalists and also happens to be one of the most important players at the moment, let's have a go at him eh?

What Neville said only adds fuels to the fire, for people to find reason to abuse Pogba. They misinterpreted his comments way off the mark and it's bound to happen. GNev should have known better. He wants the best for the club? try to avoid causing unnecessary dramas around the club. You know, like a professional. Or hell, just keep his mouth shut instead of hallucinating about what players say or think on the field. He wasn't even there ffs. That'll be better.

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I dunno...I'm just uncomfortable with older generations having a go at younger ones; and that seems endemic in punditry. In the bigger picture, the media encourages us to blame the young (or the elderly, or the non-nationals etc etc) for society's problems, and its motivation is usually self-interest.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The exact quote, for the short of memory.

”Look, the only reason I’m holding back [is] four years ago when [Kevin] Mirallas took one off [Leighton Baines, I called it a despicable act, it’s treachery in football terms, taking a penalty off your team-mate.

“However, we’ve looked back at the penalty last week that Marcus Rashford took against Chelsea and Paul Pogba walked up to Rashford and they have a long chat.

“I’m not sure if Rashford took the one off Pogba last week and Pogba should have been taking the one last week, looking at what we’ve seen from the Chelsea game.

“But they have a long chat again, I don’t like it.”

“Why is there a debate on who takes a penalty? There should never be a debate.”
The use of the words “despicable” and “treachery” was about Kevin Mirallas. Alluding to criticism Neville aimed at him, a few years ago.

Whatever criticism of Pogba you can interpret from any of that is 100% balanced by his mention of Rashford doing the exact same thing vs Chelsea. He even got Sky to show the fecking footage. Honestly, how much more context does he need to give?! It couldn’t be more obvious that what he is objecting to is what lots of fans (me included) object to. The fact that we don’t have a designated, undisputed penalty taker nominated in the team.

The lengths some United fans will go to in order to paint Pogba as the eternal victim will never cease to amaze.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

The use of the words “despicable” and “treachery” was about Kevin Mirallas. Alluding to criticism Neville aimed at him, a few years ago.

Whatever criticism of Pogba you can interpret from any of that is 100% balanced by his mention of Rashford doing the exact same thing vs Chelsea. He even got Sky to show the fecking footage. Honestly, how much more context does he need to give?! It couldn’t be more obvious that what he is objecting to is what lots of fans (me included) object to. The fact that we don’t have a designated, undisputed penalty taker nominated in the team.

The lengths some United fans will go to in order to paint Pogba as the eternal victim will never cease to amaze.
:lol:

fps

If he really cared that much about United that’s what he should be tweeting about. It’s obvious that regardless how hard he tries he is not good enough. The team pays the price for carrying an ineffective player in a key attacking position.

In terms of more people caring about Gary Neville than Woodward, I don’t agree. I wouldn’t know anything about Liverpool owners because I don’t follow that team. But Woodward is known to United fans the world over, he is on TV almost during every single game, and gets blamed for many of our failures in planning and buying ineffectively for years. In the meantime, Gary Neville known as an ex-United player, who has now turned into a loud twat that nobody who doesn’t have a Sky subscription knows that much about. Who really cares about him?
Perhaps he should therefore be attacking Lingard, it's true. I'm not quite sure why he's so shielded.

No, the point is that Neville is an employee of Sky and is trying to get lots of comments and engagement from fans from as many clubs as possible, not just Man Utd fans. That's why he doesn't bother with Woodward. And again, Woodward is nowhere near as famous as you think he is among Man Utd's global fanbase.

Lots of people clearly care about Gary Neville's opinions - even if you say you don't, you're in a thread commenting on him, engaging, he gets lots of press for the things he says, and that's because he's very high profile. That much is clear from the publicity he generates.

tenpoless

External victim, really? He gets plenty of dislikes here, in fact He's the go to person for most people to blame when the team is in the shits. Just because people don't agree with Neville doesn't mean They think Pogba is an eternal victim. We're not campaigning Save Pogba, are We?

You keep mentioning GNev's comments on penalties, go have a look at his tweets too. So you'll get the bigger picture.

The length some United fans will go to paint Gary Nevile as the eternal victim never cease to amaze me. Or maybe They just don't like Pogba

RedTiger

Half mast
'Typical you, you're selfish'

Spending the next forty minutes debating and letting little grenades off, but then putting the lid back on with caveats 'had that been the case then it would have been....but it wasn't, but if it had Pogba would be treacherous'

He implied Ole was lying to protect Pogba, but threw in the caveat 'it's not impossible that they have the most stupid and ridiculous system, it could be the case' which basically means he's saying it's definitely not the system that's in place.

He was making endless accusations and then putting the lid on them, he was making reference to Pogba as a person, not the player, using other examples and saying they weren't the same because it's possible that united have this system, then went on to imply the system was definitely made up to protect Pogba as it was so ridiculous as to be unbelievable.

Since it's been pointed out that the United teams he played in had similar issues with penalties at times. He's sat back and said nothing and liked nothing anyone else has said in defence of Pogba, despite racist abuse, half the media have came out against the abuse he received. Guys in the Streford end Saturday who I've watched for two years abuse Pogba, were shouting 'one Paul Pogba' finally giving some support.

Nevilles response to it all at the end of the week?....to imply Pogba is at fault for Rashford missing the penalty Saturday.

I don't actually think this should be looked at as an 'I don't like Pogba' situation, yet the only people on here who seem to have no issue with Neville are those I see constantly having irrational digs and personal digs at Pogba.

The point is that Nevilles rant was unnecessary and unhelpful, it brought a weeks worth of negative coverage onto one player. The week ended with another penalty being missed and the same implications being made with Neville tweeting
'team over individual' or in old money 'typical you, you're selfish'
True that

djembatheking

Gary , like all pundits talks a lot of shite which is why I have stopped watching , just switch off after the game .
Gary will always be a Legend though whereas Pogba will just be another player that played for United for a few years that had the odd good game . Gaz will always be the best top trump card that`s for sure .

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Gary , like all pundits talks a lot of shite which is why I have stopped watching , just switch off after the game .
Gary will always be a Legend though whereas Pogba will just be another player that played for United for a few years that had the odd good game . Gaz will always be the best top trump card that`s for sure .
What is the point of this?

JPRouve

Scout
Probably cos I don`t care what he says and does as a pundit and I don`t care about Pogbas social media and off field stuff , it is about what I see on the pitch as players .
No, why would you have a dig at a player when you were celebrating Neville? And Pogba is barely on social media.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Dennis Irwin was a better fullback than Gary.

Irwin could defend and attack and score freekicks and penalties.

Gary was beaten many a time by good headers of the ball too.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
What is the point of this?
Throughout Neville's critisicm of Pogba, no matter how baseless or outlandish, I've got the impression there's always been an underlying current, supporting him thinking "go on, stick it to the want-away primadonna." So you get posts like this where they really cannot help themselves.

Last edited:

djembatheking

No, why would you have a dig at a player when you were celebrating Neville? And Pogba is barely on social media.
I wasn`t having a dig at a player . I just don`t think Pogba has been very good , I would love to see him be consistently good and stay for years but I don`t think he will .
Gary had a fantastic career for United that I will remember forever . As a pundit he is a cockwomble so I don`t watch or listen to him . Paddy Crerand is the same , football legend awful discussing football so I don`t watch .

JPRouve

Scout
I wasn`t having a dig at a player . I just don`t think Pogba has been very good , I would love to see him be consistently good and stay for years but I don`t think he will .
Gary had a fantastic career for United that I will remember forever . As a pundit he is a cockwomble so I don`t watch or listen to him . Paddy Crerand is the same , football legend awful discussing football so I don`t watch .
Of course it was a dig at Pogba. It's a thread about Neville the pundit, you could easily call him a legend without mentioning any current player, because that's totally irrelevant.

djembatheking

Dennis Irwin was a better fullback than Gary.

Irwin could defend and attack and score freekicks and penalties.

Gary was beaten many a time by good headers of the ball too.
Irwin was ace , one of my favourite players , consistent as feck and I also rate him higher than Gary . Gary was still very good though .

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I saw all of that. As I said in my first post in this thread, his general point was to highlight a lack of organisation and leadership on the pitch (“there’s something wrong here”). Two players arguing with each other on the pitch about who gets to take a penalty. A fair point, if you ask me. I don’t like it either. IMO there should be a designated taker and no on-field debate. I blame the manager for this. Nev stopped short of doing that. For obvious reasons.

What has me completely baffled is how people interpret that as him hating on Pogba. He fecking started his rant by pointing out that Rashford did the exact same thing vs Chelsea!
That's the thing though. There was NO argument. It was a brief 10 second chat. A chat that had Neville accusing Pogba of committing football treachery and inherent selfishness. [That is why he likened it to what Mirallas diddid to baines] On top of bashing especially pogba and other players on pitch for an alleged "lack of leadership" yet they were simply carrying out the managerial instruction. Pushing the ludicrous notion that the 10 second, treacherous act, by pogba some how caused the miss.

A stance he literally stood by after Rashford's miss...

Its no surprise other pundits like Andy Cole and Wright looked backed on the comments over the penalty miss after the wolves and found them over the top and ludicrous. Because they just are.....

Last edited:

Nanotron

Nevilles lost all credibility as a pundit. Carragher is twice the pundit, at least he is honest and speaks his truth.

The Last Jedaiiii

I dunno...I'm just uncomfortable with older generations having a go at younger ones; and that seems endemic in punditry. In the bigger picture, the media encourages us to blame the young (or the elderly, or the non-nationals etc etc) for society's problems, and its motivation is usually self-interest.
You've just described Brexit in a nutshell

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
That's the thing though. There was NO argument. It was a brief 10 second chat. A chat that had Neville accusing Pogba of committing football treachery and inherent selfishness. [That is why he likened it to what Mirallas diddid to baines] On top of bashing especially pogba and other players on pitch for an alleged "lack of leadership" yet they were simply carrying out the managerial instruction. Pushing the ludicrous notion that the 10 second, treacherous act, by pogba some how caused the miss.

A stance he literally stood by after Rashford's miss...

Its no surprise other pundits like Andy Cole and Wright looked backed on the comments over the penalty miss after the wolves and found them over the top and ludicrous. Because they just are.....
Of course he stands by it because his issue wasn’t the miss. His issue was there not being absolute clarity about who would take the penalty. If players either aren’t getting clear instructions or think these instructions are optional and up for debate then that can cause issues that go far deeper than who takes penalties.

He was absolutely clear on the whole “treachery” thing at the time. He said he had once accused Mirallas of this because he took the ball off the designated penalty taker. He then said he thought Pogba was doing the same until he checked footage from the Chelsea game and realised the same two players had a similar discussion before Rashford took the pen. So what was going on was different to the situation he had previously discussed at Everton. None of this was vague ffs. It’s mad the way people are twisting what he said.

Obviously, Ole cleared things up after the match by saying he’s happy for the two of them to discuss who takes each pen but that doesn’t make Neville’s observations any less reasonable. It also confirms that he was correct to highlight the discussions between the two of them as something interesting and worth bringing up in the post match interview. Which is the job of a pundit.

Nothing he said was anywhere near contentious enough to justify the hysterical response from the Pogba fan club. So you can understand why he would get irritated when he ended up getting a Twitter pile on afterwards.

Last edited:
Of course he stands by it because his issue wasn’t the miss. His issue was there not being absolute clarity about who would take the penalty. ....
If that were even close to true he wouldn't ever have thrown around accusations of treachery and selfishness. I serious doubt you are that naive, Pogue...

Obviously, Ole cleared things up after the match by saying he’s happy for the two of them to discuss who takes each pen but that doesn’t make Neville’s observations any less reasonable. It also confirms that he was correct to highlight the discussions between the two of them as something interesting and worth bringing up in the post match interview. Which is the job of a pundit.
You keep missing the point. He hysterically claimed 'they had a debate'
and "lacked leadership'. Amongst other aspects of his hissy fit over the miss. Yet Its rather apparent there was no debate. Plus, it also later became rather apparent he was wrong that it was lack of leadership that led to the brief discussion they had. Yet instead of admitting he was wrong, he went on to make the even more ludicrous claim that the brief discussion led to the miss vs Palace. Clearly having amnesia that he admitted to witnessing "the same thing vs Chelsea', in which the penalty was scored, with aplomb I might add.

Nothing he said was anywhere near contentious enough to justify the hysterical response from the Pogba fan club. So you can understand why he would get irritated when he ended up getting a Twitter pile on afterwards.
Puhlease. He has been saying shit for months. Then he had a hissy fit over a penalty miss, getting wrong everything that occurred around it, threw around a bunch of uncalled for and baseless accusations, and clearly is either too proud or too dim to admit he was wrong, given his comments post Palace. That is why he got a barrage on twitter by unimpressed fans. Utterly earned...

Not any 'I love Pogba' brigade. Because I wouldn't declare pundits like Andy Cole or Wright who took a dim view of his commentary on the matter in that category....

SteveJ

Scout
Leave Gary Morrissey alone. Sure, he's not as good as he used to be & his forthright opinions might be dated and unfashionable but he gave so much to Manchester. And who can forget his classics like Panic, Bigmouth Strikes Again, Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before and Heaven Knows I'm Miserable?

Amarsdd

If that were even close to true he wouldn't ever have thrown around accusations of treachery and selfishness. I serious doubt you are that naive, Pogue...
Gary literally said "I'm holding back right now because 4 years ago when Morales took it off Baines and I called it is despicable act and it is treachery in football terms taking it off your teammate. However, as I'm looking back at the penalty from last week against Chelsea.." And he goes on to say there doesn't seem to be a designated penalty taker, having discussions on the pitch to decide who takes the penalty does not look good and will have to wait on what Solksjaer says. He is literally just calling the act of taking the penalty of your designated teammate as treachery, which I would also call that if it is done down to the player's ego. And he was just annoyed by the fact that there was no designated penalty taker at United. Actually, after the interview with Solksjaer, he understood the situation. So basically taking words out of context and completely misrepresenting what was said has caused all this hoo-haa around what Gary said and even stretching that to blaming him for the racist tweets. This has all been so fecking stupid and embarrassing really.

SteveJ

Scout
Nevertheless, this is still bloody ridiculous though:
I'm holding back right now because 4 years ago when Morales took it off Baines and I called it is despicable act and it is treachery in football terms

Gary literally said "I'm holding back right now because 4 years ago when Morales took it off Baines and I called it is despicable act and it is treachery in football terms taking it off your teammate. However, as I'm looking back at the penalty from last week against Chelsea.." And he goes on to say there doesn't seem to be a designated penalty taker, having discussions on the pitch to decide who takes the penalty does not look good and will have to wait on what Solksjaer says. He is literally just calling the act of taking the penalty of your designated teammate as treachery, which I would also call that if it is done down to the player's ego. And he was just annoyed by the fact that there was no designated penalty taker at United. Actually, after the interview with Solksjaer, he understood the situation. So basically taking words out of context and completely misrepresenting what was said has caused all this hoo-haa around what Gary said and even stretching that to blaming him for the racist tweets. This has all been so fecking stupid and embarrassing really.
How convenient to use his later comments to paint him as misquoted.

"Before he took the pen I was fuming,” raged for Red Devil Gary Neville. “I was thinking it’s typical Pogba, selfish. Why are you even thinking of taking a penalty off of a player?.."

Its blatantly apparent what he means there. To him pogba is TYPICALLY selfish. And given he slso thought it was similar to the 'treachery' mirallas supposedly committed against Baines. Its no stretch to see he thinks Pogba was being treacherous also. All based on him a) having an initial issue with pogna and b) bring utterly clueless about Solkjaer's plans for his penalty takers.

Honestly the defence of Neville is getting embarrassing. So much so, that the example of a few hysteric fees claiming "he fuelled racism' are being used as a result herring to make his served criticism look uncalled for....

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

"Before he took the pen I was fuming,” raged for Red Devil Gary Neville. “I was thinking it’s typical Pogba, selfish. Why are you even thinking of taking a penalty off of a player?.."

Its blatantly apparent what he means there. To him pogba is TYPICALLY selfish. And given he slso thought it was similar to the 'treachery' mirallas supposedly committed against Baines. Its no stretch to see he thinks Pogba was being treacherous also. All based on him a) having an initial issue with pogna and b) bring utterly clueless about Solkjaer's plans for his penalty takers.

Honestly the defence of Neville is getting embarrassing. So much so, that the example of a few hysteric fees claiming "he fuelled racism' are being used as a result herring to make his served criticism look uncalled for....
I can't believe you have to write and explain this thing over and over again. This is the tweet he immediately put out after Pogba miss:

Pogba pulls enough nonsense from time to time to be criticized for it and rightly so, but he was pulled into this over a penalty only because many pundits have an agenda to grind.

Last edited:

Eric7C

Leave Gary Morrissey alone. Sure, he's not as good as he used to be & his forthright opinions might be dated and unfashionable but he gave so much to Manchester. And who can forget his classics like Panic, Bigmouth Strikes Again, Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before and Heaven Knows I'm Miserable?
:lol:

Eric7C

I can't believe you have to write and explain this thing over and over again. This is the tweet he immediately put out after Pogba miss:

Pogba pulls enough nonsense from time to time to be criticized for it and rightly so, but he was only pulled into this over a penalty just because many pundits have an agenda to grind.
It's clear from that tweet that Gary behaves not like a professional pundit but like any other fan. He might as well be posting on the Caf matchday thread (he might be for all we know).

Edit: That's not to say that he doesn't have it in for Pogba - he does.

The Last Jedaiiii

Nevertheless, this is still bloody ridiculous though:
Fun fact- Kevin Mirallas is foreign while Leighton Baines is English. I remember when Neville, as Club Captain, spoke out against Louis Saha for taking the ball from Ronaldo in September 2007 against Chelsea when Cristiano Ronaldo was on the pitch and was the designated Penalty taker. Or I'm sure that he blew a gasket in December of that year when Ronaldo took the penalty away from Tevez against Derby when the latter was on a hat-trick. I also remember him blasting Ronaldo for taking the penalty against West Ham at a time when we were 1-0 up and missing when Louis Saha was on the pitch and scored a penalty in the previous game at Sunderland (West Ham went on to win that game). Oh right, none of these things ever came to pass.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Fun fact- Kevin Mirallas is foreign while Leighton Baines is English. I remember when Neville, as Club Captain, spoke out against Louis Saha for taking the ball from Ronaldo in September 2007 against Chelsea when Cristiano Ronaldo was on the pitch and was the designated Penalty taker. Or I'm sure that he blew a gasket in December of that year when Ronaldo took the penalty away from Tevez against Derby when the latter was on a hat-trick. I also remember him blasting Ronaldo for taking the penalty against West Ham at a time when we were 1-0 up and missing when Louis Saha was on the pitch and scored a penalty in the previous game at Sunderland (West Ham went on to win that game). Oh right, none of these things ever came to pass.
So. To conclude. He prefers designated penalty takers to take penalties, other than the very rare occasion of someone looking to complete a hat-trick. Which is an entirely reasonable opinion.

You’re obviously desperately looking for an underlying xenophobic agenda but the wide variety of nationalities and individuals in the examples you just provide completely undermine that argument.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Probably because that’s exactly the way he is perceived by Neville. The way Pogba constantly rolls the ball under his foot and takes too many touches is an extremely self-indulgent way to play football aka selfish. Ditto the way he gives the impression of preferring to let other players do all the hard defensive work on his behalf.

And that’s without even getting into the way he was twice held United over a barrel with efforts to leave the club. Which, to someone like Gary Neville, will also seem selfish (obviously, not everyone will agree with him on this)

Johnbouche

Its endemic in all walks of life bud, you get in the work place, at home and just generally in life. I'm only 39 and find myself saying we were better team back in the day (watching a my old footy team), life was better when I was younger we were outside playing all the time (to my daughters), common sense used to be enough, now we have a form for everything (at work).

I'm not sure of your age but it will come to you to as it does everyone else, the older you get the opinionated you become because you have the experience to back it up. I dont have much of an issue with Gary Neville and I actually enjoy listening to him, I think most of the time he speaks sense but he is also a fan and he is live on air trying to analysis whats just happened. If you asked me to give my opinion straight after the last two games I would be turning the air blue, so I can forgive him some of his outburst but he needs to understand whats he says then starts fires in the press for the whole of the following week, which causes Utd a lot of problems.

Reactions: SteveJ

The Last Jedaiiii

Its endemic in all walks of life bud, you get in the work place, at home and just generally in life. I'm only 39 and find myself saying we were better team back in the day (watching a my old footy team), life was better when I was younger we were outside playing all the time (to my daughters), common sense used to be enough, now we have a form for everything (at work).

I'm not sure of your age but it will come to you to as it does everyone else, the older you get the opinionated you become because you have the experience to back it up. I dont have much of an issue with Gary Neville and I actually enjoy listening to him, I think most of the time he speaks sense but he is also a fan and he is live on air trying to analysis whats just happened. If you asked me to give my opinion straight after the last two games I would be turning the air blue, so I can forgive him some of his outburst but he needs to understand whats he says then starts fires in the press for the whole of the following week, which causes Utd a lot of problems.
White people and ever take responsibility for their actions?

yamo123x

Neville is a die hard united fan, he like all of us has watched our sad decline over the years and rightly thinks the club is poorly run.
As a pundit he has to come across unbiased, he makes a bad job of this, very much like that d1ckhead Souness, however frsutrations boil over, things taken out of context etc.....to me he still gets my respect..he is just proper cheesed off with our fall from grace. A bit like me.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

@SteveJ is older than you buddy.

Everyone thinks life was better when they were young. Insert the Socrates quote and all that.

Last edited: