Gary Neville was dead to me | Reborn as a Dragon

Red_toad

United have been changing players for 6 years, why would changing them again end differently.
Change the structure of the club, then find coaches and players to suit the new structure.
Seems pointless sacking Ole as next manager will face all the same issues. I’m at a loss as to what Carrick and co do? They’re now 1 of the constants and what on earth are they coaching our players to do?

Castia

He says we need recruitment without diving into that subject

We’re gonna finish mid table with a poor squad and poor manager, players aren’t queuing up to join this club.

So now the players have to be young, British and be willing to join a shit team.....all this while also aiming to improve the squad. It’s fecking impossible, the criteria for our targets is non existent it goes hand in hand with success.

Amarsdd

Lack of criticism? He criticised everyone involved with the club today. Criticised the board and the way the club is being run. Criticised the manager in how the team is being set up. Criticised the players for their performances. Where was he lacking? What because he doesn't come out and just start calling everyone shit his criticisms don't count? Just because the man has a bit more decorum and intelligence expressed in his views doesn't change the fact he criticised everything today and routinely criticizes several parts of the club. What more are you expecting other than wanting him to become some fool like Souness? Shall he act more like posters on here and just call everything and everyone shit and just bitch and moan about everything and how everything is always going to be terrible?
No point wasting your breath here with reason. No matter what he does, there is this unhealthy hate of Neville here that I have never understood.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Don't really see the issue with what he's saying. I mean Utd sacked their last three managers so why is sacking the 4th one going to end any differently?
Because it's about having the right manager.
It's very hard to find of course, but it doesn't mean a clearly wrong manager should stay indefinitely when it's obviously not working and never will.

Jonno

Change the structure of the club, then find coaches and players to suit the new structure.
Seems pointless sacking Ole as next manager will face all the same issues. I’m at a loss as to what Carrick and co do? They’re now 1 of the constants and what on earth are they coaching our players to do?
Pointless? A seemingly amateur manager who cant motivate his players, install a good tactic or even train his players to an elite standard is currently in charge of our club.

Hiring a better manager will ensure we get better results. Just because other managers failed, it doesn’t warrant sticking with a man clearly out of his depth.

Jeffthered

Gary Neville spoke a lot of sense today. He has Jamie Redknapp, Graeme Sourness, and the presenter all waiting to get stuck into Utd woes. Gary Neville made it clear what has happened. We are reaping what we have sown since SAF went upstairs.

What I would like to hear a little more from him, is his thoughts on OGS as a manager. Because I am worried. I can't see us winning matches right now, because I do not see how we are going to sine matches.

Souness made a great point about not replacing Lukaku. That's a basic mistake, and OGS needs to accept that,because he stated that he was happy with the forwards we have.

Jonno

Don't really see the issue with what he's saying. I mean Utd sacked their last three managers so why is sacking the 4th one going to end any differently?
Because we’re still in search of the right manager. We can’t just stick with Ole because we’ve sacked 3 managers. We have to find the right manager. Ole is not up to the elite level required sadly. It’s plainly obvious.

Dr. StrangeHate

Which Neville agrees with. Changing players every year with no direction won't end differently. His entire point actually, the biggest issue at the club is from the top and the actual plan going forward. Changing managers and players every year hasn't worked and it won't work until we have an actual plan and idea to follow through with.
Then we need to decide how we want to play. Barcelona, Ajax, Dortmund, City and Liverpool (recently) seem to have somewhat of a constant philosophy despite changing managers. What do Bobby Charlton and Sir Alex do on the board if not this. I am guessing they are too old to be involved that heavily. We probably need to knick some personal from above mentioned clubs first like City did with Tixi.

Stacks

This isn’t the BBC. I’d rather he sticks up for us and defends us a bit against the two scousers than just adding to the current shit storm. Fair play to Gary in my view. Wish he was involved in the running of the club,
It's also not MUTV. He's a sky sports pundit. The biased ones are the least respected because you cannot trust their opinions. If Gary ran the club it'd be run into the ground. He even admitted he isn't up for the non playing roles. He'd be useless

Jonno

It's also not MUTV. He's a sky sports pundit. The biased ones are the least respected because you cannot trust their opinions. If Gary ran the club it'd be run into the ground. He even admitted he isn't up for the non playing roles. He'd be useless
You do know he part-owns a football league club, right?

Stacks

Because we’re still in search of the right manager. We can’t just stick with Ole because we’ve sacked 3 managers. We have to find the right manager. Ole is not up to the elite level required sadly. It’s plainly obvious.
Failing your way to success is the model for EVERY....SINGLE.....CLUB.... they hire and fire until they get it right. City went for Pep whilst Pelegrinni was in the midst of a title run. Klopp came in and replaced a man in November. Liverpool were ruthless

fergiesarmy1

Souness made a great point about not replacing Lukaku. That's a basic mistake, and OGS needs to accept that,because he stated that he was happy with the forwards we have.
Why do people keep saying this, saying he’s happy in public doesn’t make it so and was probably said with the players he had confidence in mind.

The fact that we clearly tried for at least Mandzukic and are apparently going back in in January also seemingly

Castia

Gary Neville spoke a lot of sense today. He has Jamie Redknapp, Graeme Sourness, and the presenter all waiting to get stuck into Utd woes. Gary Neville made it clear what has happened. We are reaping what we have sown since SAF went upstairs.

What I would like to hear a little more from him, is his thoughts on OGS as a manager. Because I am worried. I can't see us winning matches right now, because I do not see how we are going to sine matches.

He keeps saying the transfer strategy has changed like it’s a guaranteed success, that’s what annoys me.

The 3 we signed this summer have looked ok. Nothing more, It’s not like they’re doing amazing. According to Garry we’ve taken on a huge operation that is moving the footballing world.

LJJT

I don’t want him to run it, I want him to be involved in it. I think we would be in a far better situation than we are now if he was involved. I don’t care if it’s mutv, bbc or Al Jazeera. Fair play to Gary for defending us, not allowing the two scousers to just slate us and what we have now become for 20 mins. Any united fan who has issue with that I suggest probably isn’t really a united fan.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

I agree with him regarding the stuff from around 1:30 to 3:00. I assume he meant LB instead of RB.

Jonno

Failing your way to success is the model for EVERY....SINGLE.....CLUB.... they hire and fire until they get it right. City went for Pep whilst Pelegrinni was in the midst of a title run. Klopp came in and replaced a man in November. Liverpool were ruthless
Exactly. Too many fans are scared of us sacking another manager. Why? We’re losing our way to the bottom half of the league now, fecking change it and move on. I’d give it Wenger, or any proven PL manager until we can go all in for someone world class. We’re rich, we’re a massive club, we need to go all in for our next manager, wherever they are.

Irwin99

And neglecting the midfield and number 10 role. I'm sceptical as to whether this was entirely an Ole decision or if the Glazers/Ed didn't want to spend more but if it was Ole's decision alone then it's absolutely barmy to go into the season with this set of midfielders and strikers and expecting anything. A massive and negligent error in judgement. Even a cheap, stop gap signing would have taken the pressure off the young players.

IF it was entirely an Ole decision then it doesn't reflect well on his judgement i'm afraid.

Red_toad

Pointless? A seemingly amateur manager who cant motivate his players, install a good tactic or even train his players to an elite standard is currently in charge of our club.

Hiring a better manager will ensure we get better results. Just because other managers failed, it doesn’t warrant sticking with a man clearly out of his depth.
Let’s get Jose back then eh? Club was too much for him, it will be the same regardless of who is in charge.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Exactly. Too many fans are scared of us sacking another manager. Why? We’re losing our way to the bottom half of the league now, fecking change it and move on. I’d give it Wenger, or any proven PL manager until we can go all in for someone world class. We’re rich, we’re a massive club, we need to go all in for our next manager, wherever they are.
I don't think it's a fear of sacking another manager, I think it's just complete apathy at the situation.

We all know that the problem stems from higher up than the manager, and we've already sacked three managers since SAF retired. Ole will go, we'll have a brief bounce, then the bigger problems will come to the surface again and we'll be back in the same situation again. Nothing's changing until something happens at the top.

Jonno

Let’s get Jose back then eh? Club was too much for him, it will be the same regardless of who is in charge.
So because Moyes, LVG and Jose have failed, we should stick with Ole regardless of how blatantly out of his depth he is? Give your head a wobble. You change until you find the right manager. Every club does it. Ole is simply not a good enough manager to manage United. Steve Bruce can get a Newcastle team to outplay us, we get outplayed by whoever we come up against. Because he cant do the basics, he can’t organise, he cant get us to play with a specific style of play. He can’t coach to an elite PL level. Ole’s United will finish 8th-12th. An actual top class PL manager would have us 4th-6th.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He just said we set up in every away game with no intention of winning. How isn't that criticism at the manager? Who else is setting the team up?
Fair, I didn't catch that particular line. What I did hear was him continuing on the criticism of the playing squad, building on his MNF from the other week when he compared throwing in our promising kids with Mata, Matic and Young to the CO92 (who we now have the benefit of knowing went on to be very good/great players in their own right) lining up with Pallister, Bruce, Pete, Cantona, Keane. He's criticised the players and the recruitment strategy post-Fergie, which falls on a combination of the board, Woodward and previous managers, and is entirely right to do so.

I do think in previous weeks he's been reticent about Ole, about the coaching we're getting from him and his readiness for the job. I'll have to watch today's post match chat again to see the context of the remark you mentioned, and will wait and see if we get more from Neville specifically on what Ole is trying to do with this team. I wouldn't describe myself as Ole out and I'm not always on Neville's back either, but we're past the point where we only point to the bad hand Ole's been dealt and start to look at the terrible way in which he's playing it.

Eric7C

I agree with him regarding the stuff from around 1:30 to 3:00. I assume he meant LB instead of RB.
He is as clueless as Ole. Lukaku does just fine with Belgium, but he did not fit into United's style? What f*cking style? This team can't pass, can't move, can't make runs in behind, can't make the pitch wide, can't have a striker making runs into the f*ucking box, can't show up for your teammates. Who does the buck stop with?

Coward pundit.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
No, what city did was bring in a CEO, technical director, and DoF with a clear vision and plan who then got the manager to successfully implement it. Exactly what Neville wants us to do. City didn't just randomly sack and hire managers, going with whoever was available at the time hoping it would work.

They didn't fail their way to anything. They successfully implemented a structure and long-term plan. Something which he don't have and won't fail ourselves on to.

Zoo

He had no answer to Jamie Redknapp when it was pointed out that Ole went from Cardiff and Molde to United which isn’t right, that Pogba hasn’t been around so can’t be made the scapegoat as usual and that Mourinho was never a true United manager with everyone knowing how he works.

Red_toad

So because Moyes, LVG and Jose have failed, we should stick with Ole regardless of how blatantly out of his depth he is? Give your head a wobble. You change until you find the right manager. Every club does it. Ole is simply not a good enough manager to manage United. Steve Bruce can get a Newcastle team to outplay us, we get outplayed by whoever we come up against. Because he cant do the basics, he can’t organise, he cant get us to play with a specific style of play. He can’t coach to an elite PL level. Ole’s United will finish 8th-12th. An actual top class PL manager would have us 4th-6th.
I need not wobble my head thanks. Simply stating as you don’t appear to get it, our issues go much deeper than whom is in charge of the first team.
Once we get Martial, Pogba, Shaw etc back results will improve. But underinvestment in the squad will ensure regardless of who is in charge we’ll still be also rans.

Stacks

No, what city did was bring in a CEO, technical director, and DoF with a clear vision and plan who then got the manager to successfully implement it. Exactly what Neville wants us to do. City didn't just randomly sack and hire managers, going with whoever was available at the time hoping it would work.

They didn't fail their way to anything. They successfully implemented a structure and long-term plan. Something which he don't have and won't fail ourselves on to.
Check their management history since they got their money....

Jonno

I need not wobble my head thanks. Simply stating as you don’t appear to get it, our issues go much deeper than whom is in charge of the first team.
Once we get Martial, Pogba, Shaw etc back results will improve. But underinvestment in the squad will ensure regardless of who is in charge we’ll still be also rans.
Sorry, but Ole isn’t up to the standards required to be a top 4, a top 6, even a top 17 manager in the Premier League. He hasn’t got the experience, and he has proven he clearly doesn’t have the tools required to turn things around. To lose like we did at West Ham and change nothing (I don’t mean personnel I mean style of play) is scandalous. This is after being poor in various other games this season, in various other games last season. We got battered at Everton.

I’ve been travelling home and away and seeing this sh!te first hand. He’s not got what it takes and we need to change him now.

Just because we have sh!te owners and a CEO, doesn’t give Ole a free license to run the club even further into the ground.

edgecutter

He had no answer to Jamie Redknapp when it was pointed out that Ole went from Cardiff and Molde to United which isn’t right, that Pogba hasn’t been around so can’t be made the scapegoat as usual and that Mourinho was never a true United manager with everyone knowing how he works.
Exactly, he is trying to find other faults when it's fairly evident that Ole has done a poor job.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Bloody hell, so we need 5-6 quality players, in the next,... 3-4 transfer windows, and we'll have the "Bones of something"

Pain ahead!

Hoof the ball

It's very simplistic to blame the players and far too easy of an argument to make. It's my view that players play well when the attacking structure coached around them provides them with clear directives throughout all the phases of play. When that structure isn't developed and explained, players play in a more instinctive way and collectively what it results in is what we're seeing now.

I find myself often agreeing with Carragher when he makes fun out of Neville for not embracing a progressive view of football and its tactics. Neville is guilty of reducing success and failure down to gross oversimplifications.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think he's the worst pundit on skysports now. Genuinely.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Sorry, but Ole isn’t up to the standards required to be a top 4, a top 6, even a top 17 manager in the Premier League. He hasn’t got the experience, and he has proven he clearly doesn’t have the tools required to turn things around. To lose like we did at West Ham and change nothing (I don’t mean personnel I mean style of play) is scandalous. This is after being poor in various other games this season, in various other games last season. We got battered at Everton.

I’ve been travelling home and away and seeing this sh!te first hand. He’s not got what it takes and we need to change him now.

Just because we have sh!te owners and a CEO, doesn’t give Ole a free license to run the club even further into the ground.
And he's said he didn't see this performance coming! I'm no expert but he's never looked like a top manager, getting appointed here doesn't make him one automatically!

Castia

His reasoning for not going for a top manager is ‘well we’ve tried that one before’ What??? fecking crazy.

Also crazy how he suddenly feels like our transfer strategy is going to work. Look don’t get me wrong we’ve made terrible mistakes down the years but signing young British talent just seems like a complete disaster to me.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
You do know he part-owns a football league club, right?
Didn’t Salford sack the two head coaches straight after a promotion?

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Just because we have changed managers frequently, doesn't mean we stick with a bad manager. A bad manager is a bad manager. It needs changing.

Ralph1386

This! Exactly what I thought when I saw them on Sky.