Gary Neville Last Night

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Interesting and valid points.

I certainly have ambivalent feelings towards all of them right now: Ole, players etc. Of course it's based on the latest performance(s)

The different styles point is the best one IMO.

5-6 players

red thru&thru

EVERYONE at the club is responsible for this s**t show. But who is the ultimate person who has the responsibility to sort this out and doesn't?

It is clear, even before Gary's comments yesterday, what is the problem. I simply don't understand how fans do not see this?!

Castia

See the point where he disagrees with Redknapp about appointing a top class manager because we’ve tried that before??

Absolute clown at times. He also presumes this new transfer strategy of signing young British talent is a winner, that’s going to be an absolute failure as well.

Irrational.

Some valid points, but his reluctance to criticise anything his mate Ole has done came across a bit ridiculous. Yes the spending has been crap but it's also clear as day that he's completely out of his depth and part of the reason the squad look so clueless when playing. Redknapp spot on when he says you can't go from Cardiff to Molde to United.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
See the point where he disagrees with Redknapp about appointing a top class manager because we’ve tried that before??

Absolute clown at times. He also presumes this new transfer strategy of signing young British talent is a winner, that’s going to be an absolute failure as well.
How? The reason Ole still has so much support is because of his transfer dealings. Every single player he’s signed looks great. That’s a massive step in the right direction.

Inigo Montoya

Jose and LVG were good managers and in the former we had one of the world's greatest. Worked out well didn't it? The point is changing players, changing tactics every 2 years is a route to failure. Redknapp did say that it reminded him of Liverpool circa 1991- Different coaches, players coming and going,lack of stability and direction. Just having a top class manager doesn't work, unless you're Chelsea and throw money year after year. Ironically it's their very British players and manager delivering right now.

The 3 signings we've made have been British and good. How can you dispute that?

In Rainbows

Neville's idea of direction is simply about signings. How is Ole's football different from Mou's? Why is it that the next manager in charge can't be tasked with having the same direction as Ole when it comes to transfers? Neville's point isn't a good one.

"There are things I like out there today." - Neville
"What did you like out there?"
"I liked Tuanzebe and Maguire." - Neville

Seriously? The evidence is simply the players playing? What about the football?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Fair points. We have too many managers with different styles, and left with imbalance squad with players not suit the system.
It took more than a few years time to fix all these mess, its up to the board to find the right manager and give him time to rebuild it all over again.

Question is, is Ole the right manager we should put our faith in for long term rebuild? I doubt it. But every new manager deserves time, we should appoint our next manager wisely.

I would say appointing Moyes was a bad choice, he is nothing manager. LVG though is ok to build a good foundation, but after we sack him, we should appoint our next manager with possession style of football to carry on what LVG has been doing. Instead we go with Mourinho, with completely different approach, rebuilding all over again. Then after Mourinho we appoint Ole, who isn't the right choice at all.

romufc

How? The reason Ole still has so much support is because of his transfer dealings. Every single player he’s signed looks great. That’s a massive step in the right direction.
He signed AWB - prob not scouted by him
Maguire - Wanted by Jose last year
James is the only signing you can call is Oles signing.

red thru&thru

We appointed a top class manager in Jose and Lvg, how that turn out?

tomaldinho1

Yh i found it really difficult to watch because it's so clear he's wrong. Redknapp is actually speaking complete sense and it's because he has no affiliation to United and so can say it as it is. We need a good manager, it doesn't matter if we have to go through a few more to find them but that's paramount.

The managerial hires were awful, that part I agree with. Moyes (horrendous), LVG was the right idea but about 10 years too late, Mou was a panic hire who was never going to work long term and Ole should not have been given the job after last season's form.

Buying young British players will always go badly, they're overrated (see almost every young British signing ever made) and overpriced.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Neville is so so deluded I don’t even listen to him anymore.

when 3 ex scousers in carragher, redknapp and souness are making more valid and truthful points every week than him about our current situation and how to fix it then you know Nevilles completely in the wrong.

ILC

Laughing out loud at his inability to answer simple questions from Jamie and Souness. He talks about different direction but when Graham asks in what sense he changes the subject :lol:

Literally the only reason he's doing this mental gymnastics to try and defend Ole is because he's his friend. There's no different direction (Mourinho wanted 2/3 signings last year), there's no new tactical direction - we're more shite than ever. Clueless, clueless manager who'll never work in top leagues again.

Deery

Dreary
Disagree with needing 5-6 players I think 3 world class players would be enough. Do agree however about net spend £40m is nowhere near what was needed after last season, solely to blame is the Glazers for that.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Some valid points, but his reluctance to criticise anything his mate Ole has done came across a bit ridiculous. Yes the spending has been crap but it's also clear as day that he's completely out of his depth and part of the reason the squad look so clueless when playing. Redknapp spot on when he says you can't go from Cardiff to Molde to United.
It was pointed out to me in the other thread that Gary starts his remarks by saying 'we're not set up to win matches', which is the first shot across Ole's boughs I've heard from him. Then yes I think he quickly reverts to the (obviously valid) points he's been making for a while about our recruitment and about the squad. Also I think Redknapp's point was a touch simplistic given the likes of Zidane, Pep and Lampard got big jobs after little to no top level management (I'm aware of Pep's path and Lampard did pretty well in one Championship season, but the point is there are a few more ways to skin a cat than Redknapp acknowledges). We'll see what he comes forward with if we continue to stink the place out, as surely it will be impossible not to question Ole's role in the mess before long.

spaceboyRSA

He isnt wrong about most things. Selling Lukaku and Sanchez and not at least getting in a striker and decent midfielder was a complete act of negligence. That was the bare minimum considering the same squad finished last year, and how much the squad was trimmed. Probably need another few on top of that to properly compete.

red4ever 79

Neville is so so deluded I don’t even listen to him anymore.

when 3 ex scousers in carragher, redknapp and souness are making more valid and truthful points every week than him about our current situation and how to fix it then you know Nevilles completely in the wrong.
Same. This is the same guy who was arguing with the guy from Full Time devils at the beginning of the season, saying we have had a good transfer summer. Now suddenly he is saying we are weaker as a squad having sold Fellaini, Herrera, Lukaku etc.

Guy changes more than the wind.

Camilo

And he oversaw Lukaku, Herrera, Sanchez and Fellaini leaving. Now these might not have all been world beaters, but three of them would still walk into this team. fecking stupid letting them all leave without proper replacements being ready to go.

The Firestarter

EVERYONE at the club is responsible for this s**t show. But who is the ultimate person who has the responsibility to sort this out and doesn't?

It is clear, even before Gary's comments yesterday, what is the problem. I simply don't understand how fans do not see this?!
I agree , what is the problem! What out! When, Who, Where, and How should be put on notice too!

GBBQ

Why is it that the next manager in charge can't be tasked with having the same direction as Ole when it comes to transfers? Neville's point isn't a good one.
Exactly! I think the transfer approach has been the right one but it doesn't need Ole in charge to implement moving forward.

Coxy

So? The guy can sign Good players - is that what dictates a good manager?

surely it should be playing good football / tactics and getting the best out of your existing players??

Marcelinho87

All 3 are Ole's signings no matter how you wanna spin it. "Probably not scouted by him" Just a massive assumption on your part.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Neville's idea of direction is simply about signings. How is Ole's football different from Mou's? Why is it that the next manager in charge can't be tasked with having the same direction as Ole when it comes to transfers? Neville's point isn't a good one.

"There are things I like out there today." - Neville
"What did you like out there?"
"I liked Tuanzebe and Maguire." - Neville

Seriously? The evidence is simply the players playing? What about the football?
Agreed. He got absolutely stumped by the what did you like question, because it's been abolsute shite for many months now. But he wouldn't dare criticise his mate. Hes Ole taking a pop at the board now because it's impacting Ole.

Inigo Montoya

Revisionist.

They're his signings under his managership.

izec

two past it managers. Both werent top when we hired them, but quite clearly on the downward spiral.

the key is to hire a competent manager in line with the club's philosophy and the intern structure we dont have. Ole and Woody are the biggest culprits, both are not good enough in their jobs (Woody in the football side of things). Both go hand in hand, we cant wait years until we restructure but Ole gets us relegated. He isnt good enough. The aim this season wasnt relegation battle, but maybe lingering around top 6. That difference is mainly on Ole/the coaching staff and some of it on Woody as well.

romufc

All 3 are Ole's signings no matter how you wanna spin it. "Probably not scouted by him" Just a massive assumption on your part.
Fair, but you can't also spin it in a way saying he should be manager because he makes good signings? When the team plays sh*t

AFC NimbleThumb

I do not get what people are watching if they think we’re only 3 ‘World Class’ players away from a team worthy of this clubs stature.

I rarely agree with Neville but 5/6 players is absolutely correct.

We aren’t getting peak Rio, peak Keane & peak RvP.

This squad & in particular the first team need huge investment.

izec

So? The guy can sign Good players - is that what dictates a good manager?

surely it should be playing good football / tactics and getting the best out of your existing players??
that is because posters are stuck in the past where a manager has full control over signings. At other clubs, managers dont have a big say in signings. The club should stick by a plan whoever is the manager

GBBQ

No doubting Mou and LVG's pedigree that they had in their CV when they came to the club but neither were playing in the style that is now bringing success to City and Liverpool. Bus parking and ultra cautious was never going to close the gap to those two. I don't think we should write off bringing in a top class manager because those two experiments failed.

We need to bring in top class manager with a positive philosophy and back him to the hilt with money.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
For now. At this stage of the season every single one of Joses first signings also looked great.

Revan

Assumptionman
Both Ed and Ole must be sacked. Ed for being an unprecedented disaster as CEO and Ole for being a terrible manager. Since that night on Paris, we have been a relegation-type of team.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Souness made more sense

Big Andy

Bloke
Ole should not have been given the job after last season's form.

Are you telling me that after the PSG Game, you weren't going "GIVE HIM THE JOB"?

IF you are saying that, you're a liar. Everyone wanted him made permanent at that point in time.