Gary Neville on United

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
How fortunate that we have "somebody" like you then, to sort it out.
As said i disagree with the argument that he is a nobody. I value every fans opinion yours included. That doesn't mean it can't be wrong or deluded at times.

devilish

Sorry, I only have limited posts here and am unwilling to waste it arguing with someone who's again just missing my point and now downright guessing and attacking someone's character instead of his arguments.
I am not attacking gaz's character. Ffs I met him, his late father and his brother a dozen times and they are nice people, proper working class down to earth chaps. However his opinion in football management is indeed deluded or at least naive

Dve

As said i disagree with the argument that he is a nobody. I value every fans opinion yours included. That doesn't mean it can't be wrong or deluded at times.
Fair enough then.

devilish

Fair enough then.
I don't think there are many who want Ole to fail or think he bought bad players. I believe that we diverge on one key line of thought here. Gaz seems relaxed because he probably think that as long Ole does the right things he will keep his job irrespective of results. Most of us think he will be sacked if he doesn't make it to top 4. Thus why we are worried because we think the squad is not good enough to achieve that while gaz seem totally relaxed about it

Last edited:

NFM

I suggest everyone who thinks an extra CM should have been bought looks at the highlights of last nights U-23 match on this site. James Garner will be England's main CM , he is , like Greenwood, a 'once in a generation' player. However he is only 17 and you can't rush things. With 4 CMs already in the first team squad ( and remembering one was bought only last year as a current Brasil international) it just requires a little patience to wait for Garner to be bedded in. The very last thing United should do is block this lad's progress by buying another 'OK' talent. Get some perspective, I think was GVs message.

Reactions: Sultan

matt23

Maybe operate on a plan that should have been formulated months before the window even opened? Lukaku and Herrera were obviously leaving before last season finished, Solskjaer said they'd be replaced with players coming in....maybe it might have been prudent to work on getting the right players with the time available. Panic replacements didn't have to be made.
We didn't know if we'd be in the Champions League or not until late April/May. If you don't want to bring in mercenaries only in it for the money then this plays a huge role in recruitment. This idea we had months before the season ended to solidify targets is a total fallacy.

fergosaurus

Gary is a motivator. He actually affected me and made me chill a bit. I am more positive. I think we can be alright and understand about getting players we like and can relate to. Ones with the right attitude. At the same time this will only get you so far so I will be silent and just watch and see

EDIT: actually feck that. This the same dude who thinks Moyes should have just ended his tenure only now and that Wenger should of stayed. A real "top red"
:lol: the man is an idiot. He was a good pundit when he came on the scene but is decline is reminiscent of United's post-SAF.

"We'll eventually stumble across a good recruitment policy and hire a great manager." Sounds promising.

"United will probably win the league before Liverpool." Small-time mentality to bring Liverpool up out of the blue and daft comment considering the direction the two clubs are going in.

Jimmy_Bond

What you have to remember is when he talks, he knows and awful lot about what's going on at the club, especially now Ole is in charge.

He was spot on about everything, but the moaners have gone way too far to be backtracking, so will always find a "yeah, but..."

Thanks for posting, enjoyed the video.

buckooo1978

Because he knows that the fans are fecked!!! The guy asking the questions was hoping Neville was going to start whining like the rest of them, but Gary knows and sees what Ole is doing here and trying to accomplish. McKola is a tool. He's just another on the doom and gloom patrol who would rather we spent millions on another "Di Maria" while all that will do is stunt the growth of our truly exceptional talent that we have coming through right now. Amazing how everyone wants us to sign Sancho yet the only reason why he would even be an option is because City didn't give him a chance yet BVB did. How about rather than being like City and signing players at the expence of our potentionally world class youth, we actually give our youth a chance and have a team that we can truly get behind that was built the right way rather than just buying success like the other teams at the top? Personally I haven't been this excited for a season to start in ages and I think we are going to surprise a lot of people this year, especially the nay sayers that reside on this forum...
you know it is possible to be excited for the season AND have an awareness about the mismanagement of the club. Human beings are generally complex and views on the team and owners aren't binary - this kind of think annoys me greatly - its Trumpian in essence - either you are with us or against us.

I am no Adam McKola fan boy, I dont watch those videos but I have been impressed by his views and he was perfectly reasonable. He's not a buy superstars kind of person - what he put to Neville was perfectly reasonable.

Our midfield is substandard. We were outplayed by teams like Wolves/Everton a few months ago. Since then we've lost our most consistent midfielder in Herrera. We are struggling now but an injury to Pogba or McTominay and we are screwed

Why did he press Neville. Neville has famously refused to say a bad thing about the Glazers - to the point where Carragher has taken the piss out of him for it. As a club legend who is one of the most opinionated pundits its self-interest that buys his silence - hes thinking of his own potential role at the club in my opinion.

I agreed with 70% of what Neville said but a decent pundit would have questioned why the only players our club found, a club with almost unlimited scouting resources, were Sancho, Maguire, Wan Bissaka, James and Longstaff..... all English/English league based

It's absolutely shocking that our only DM is Matic even if you ignore all other issues with the squad - I'm excited for the start of the season but we have been hampered severely by the ok transfer window

Zlatans Knee

I think what he is completely spot on about is the thing about cycles. I am quietly optimistic that it will be enjoyable to watch United again this season. Will we win the league? No. Will it feel like we have our club back with a bunch of talented young players who give their all for the club? Yes. And as long as we make genuine progress this year and we have a long term plan for how to fix this mess that is fine with me. That is my takeaway from what Gary was saying.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't necessarily agree with Neville on everything but his tone is correct and we do need give the team and Ole a chance before throwing the toys out of the pram.

Also that Full Time Devils moron was making a fool of himself.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Neville's mate is in charge and he's a nationalist, so he's always going to defend the farcical transfer window we had, then when it goes wrong it'll be Pogba, Martial and Lindelof's fault.
Exactly what will happen.

M Bison

Supports
York City
What you have to remember is when he talks, he knows and awful lot about what's going on at the club, especially now Ole is in charge.

He was spot on about everything, but the moaners have gone way too far to be backtracking, so will always find a "yeah, but..."

Agree.

Absolutely spot on as always from Neville.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Don't necessarily agree with Neville on everything but his tone is correct and we do need give the team and Ole a chance before throwing the toys out of the pram.

Also that Full Time Devils moron was making a fool of himself.
Didn’t think he made a fool of himself to be fair, it’s the common theme from the bulk of fans at the moment (particularly on here) but Neville’s points were far better, particularly the point about Falcao/AdM and our current signings.

Donk3y

I bet he also knew what was going on at the club when Moyes was in charge.

Kag

They both made good points - as well as some poor ones. McKola being an irritating bastard does him no favours, though.

Quite like the set up of that, though. It felt like your classic pub pre-match chat.

Neville is spot on about Liverpool, too. Football is cyclical and if/when Klopp and a few key players leave then they will slip back into the position we currently reside in. They haven’t got the resources to combat this inevitable slide. Unlike City, who will power on regardless.

devilish

Berbatov: “When I was playing, it was a bad season if we didn't win the title. Even mentioning fourth place is an insult. If you'd talked about fourth to me & my teammates, we’d have said: ‘Why the f**k are you talking about top four? We want to be the top one.’” #mufc

Grande

Basically agree with Neville minus the weird thing about it being a natural cycle. The cycle occurs because the decisions from the top down are crap.

However, I'm optimistic this summer was an inflection point for us as a club. I have been saying all summer that the players we've linked with have common threads in terms of age, that they'd all be making a step up from a lower club to the top level (in stature of club if not performance), style of play, and would not blow up our wage structure.

James, AWB, and Maguire all fit how Ole wants to play and the type of player he's looking for. So did Longstaff and Fernandes (assuming at some point there was genuine interest). Now what we need is for Woodward to actually get in a technical director to improve our recruitment in providing multiple options to address holes in the squad (i.e. we need another pivot CM so if Longstaff's valuation is way out of whack with what you think he's worth you can move on to another similar profile of player).

I genuinely believe if we'd added another CM the general view of this window overall would be much different than it currently is. We did well with the players we signed, but we needed to do more. It's not the worst, and it's not the best. That's still somewhat frustrating as a fan, but I think for once there's actually a plan and vision that the club feels committed to beyond "back the manager, give him loads of money, hope he picks the right players, and if he fails sack him".
I said more or less exactly this in a pub yesterday after four pints. It’s gotta be the truth then, right?

(I also predicted that Liverpool would lose the second half).

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I love how Fellaini, a player that 90% of this board felt was worthless and a bum, now all of a sudden is somebody who needed to be replaced. And I'd bet most of these same people thought our midfield was too stocked last year after adding Fred.

We're one CM short, not 2. Essentially we're betting that McTominay and Fred elevate their performance this year, and Matic in reduced minutes and importance won't be worthless. I feel confident McTominay will be solid this season. Fred is more of a wild card. I like his attributes but consistency is and has always been the issue with him.

And yes, absolutely we should have identified more CM options and got one in, but we didn't. That's problematic, but I'm happy we didn't compromise and go for some random filler just to "address" the issue.

If we don't get a director in then the operational issues that have plagued us will persist. That's a very real concern and problem, but I'm happy we actually have some cohesive vision and plan to the profile of player we want to add.
Good point on Fellaini, I personally thought it was a mistake selling at the time (and proven at the end of the season) but there was widespread rejoice on here that we had got rid of him.

edgar allan

Gerrard and Lampard had succeeded as managers. They know what there is at the other side. Carra had never done that so you can excuse him for sounding a bit too idealistic at times (although he's far more realistic then Gaz is). Despite his taste in management Gaz still lives in a cuckoo land. His world is all about sticking to manager who fail to reach targets, being relaxed despite having to achieve an unrealistic 4th place with a team with a weak midfield, no quality RW and no experienced cover for Rashy etc and us winning the EPL title earlier then Liverpool will. I am sorry but the guy is genuinely deluded.No wonder why he fecked up in management.
You lost me at " gerrard has succeeded as a manager"

cyberman

We didn't know if we'd be in the Champions League or not until late April/May. If you don't want to bring in mercenaries only in it for the money then this plays a huge role in recruitment. This idea we had months before the season ended to solidify targets is a total fallacy.
Spot on.
Months in a rebuild isn't even that long. It could be a whole year but if the players we target aren't availble then what can we do?
Its like the whole midfielder talk. im actually struggling to think of a midfielder we were linked to. Longstaff? Yet fans aren't listening to Ole and are doing what the fan in the video does, talk louder because they don't like the answers they're hearing.
Ole seems to have put faith in our younger players developing in midfield and attack and that's the road we have gone down. Just because Ole has chosen that path doesn't mean its down to lack of planning or strategy, it just means posters don't agree with that approach but a lot of fans seem to be confusing the two.

Crashoutcassius

I think Gary missed the point a little bit and not adams fault cos he wouldn't let him speak. By looking at dybala and some other players we were saying we needed a new 10... Why hadn't we scouted a depth of options... answer might be simple that we had and they weren't available e.g. havertz, maddison etc. If someone could show me that process I would be happy. It seems like most other clubs though with money have options and make the signing for the position they have identified... And if it doesn't work out ala many of citys 50 and 60m signings they just buy another and sell that player at a small loss

Wolff

Thanks for posting that! Nice to listen to some sense for a change.

MrSingh2002

Gary excusing the mismanagement of the club as a natural cycle

well done McKola for pressing him

Disrespectful from Neville in some ways. Fair enough on the fact that the Glazers dont care about protests but he could have shown some empathy with United fans complaints

Neville seems to be pedalling a myth that United fans are upset that we arent buying 100m world beaters when that's a distortion of the 5 key questions
I agree with much of Nevilles comments but where he's wrong is that United should be able to source a midfielder or two that
A) Improves us
B) Wants to play for us

Over a 12 month period since the last summer window. It's actually the club that wanted Dybala or Eriksen who were again not going to happen similar to previous fake yearly attempts to sign Varane, Ronaldo and Bale.

Where were the clubs realistic targets?

Alabaster Codify7

Neville nailed it on Herrera. Decent enough player but no better than a lot of central midfielders out there. Genuinely think he has been the most over-rated player on this website that I have ever come across.

He's right, but we didn't buy any of those midfielders that are better than him or as good. We didn't replace him with anyone.

Herrera was better than Fred and McTominay. So regardless of how highly you rate him, we have downgraded in that position no matter who takes his starting place in a midfield three.

buckooo1978

I agree with much of Nevilles comments but where he's wrong is that United should be able to source a midfielder or two that
A) Improves us
B) Wants to play for us

Over a 12 month period since the last summer window. It's actually the club that wanted Dybala or Eriksen who were again not going to happen similar to previous fake yearly attempts to sign Varane, Ronaldo and Bale.

Where were the clubs realistic targets?
my point exactly and I felt Dybala/Erickson came from their clubs trying to shift players for reasons of FFP (Juve) and contract situation (Spurs) rather than any plan of Sokskjaer

the only midfielder in Europe identified seemed to be Longstaff - I'd love to see Ole's list

You'd have to think that had we actually appointed a Technical Director, even on an interim basis, we might have identified a single suitable midfielder

Stacks

Agree.

Absolutely spot on as always from Neville.
Y'all must of forgot.

buckooo1978

:lol: the man is an idiot. He was a good pundit when he came on the scene but is decline is reminiscent of United's post-SAF.

"We'll eventually stumble across a good recruitment policy and hire a great manager." Sounds promising.

"United will probably win the league before Liverpool." Small-time mentality to bring Liverpool up out of the blue and daft comment considering the direction the two clubs are going in.
spot on - that was ridiculous from Neville especially after he rightfully talked about how Ole was getting it right on values/principles

almost implying that good decision making is based on probability rather than football intelligence or planning - this of course in contrast to his spiel about 'Best in class' which made more sense

Mainoldo

I suggest everyone who thinks an extra CM should have been bought looks at the highlights of last nights U-23 match on this site. James Garner will be England's main CM , he is , like Greenwood, a 'once in a generation' player. However he is only 17 and you can't rush things. With 4 CMs already in the first team squad ( and remembering one was bought only last year as a current Brasil international) it just requires a little patience to wait for Garner to be bedded in. The very last thing United should do is block this lad's progress by buying another 'OK' talent. Get some perspective, I think was GVs message.
Is Garner playing tomorrow?

fergosaurus

spot on - that was ridiculous from Neville especially after he rightfully talked about how Ole was getting it right on values/principles

almost implying that good decision making is based on probability rather than football intelligence or planning - this of course in contrast to his spiel about 'Best in class' which made more sense
Fully agree, that made much more sense than what the current plan seems to be, i.e. add another inexperienced person to do a crucial role and hope for the best

Mainoldo

As far as I’m concerned with G.Nev he’s boys in charge now so he’ll tone it down to help him out. He talks about he wouldn’t have brought Boateng, well so said the majority of Redcafe. But when he was being mouthpiece for that season all he kept saying was you have to back him with signings. So why agree now the board was right?

Lookatu

People seem to be putting this 'natural cycles' comment up there with 'Flat earth' theories.
Let's be honest, no club has ever challenged for the league consistently for longer than we did over a 25 year period. Did any of you realistically think that we would just challenge for the league forever more?
It's an obvious point to make, city and Liverpool won't be top two for the next 25 years either!

Mainoldo

Fully agree, that made much more sense than what the current plan seems to be, i.e. add another inexperienced person to do a crucial role and hope for the best
Got to admit I’m not angry with his view as it is my view. He just disappoints me with his constant contradiction and lying to the fans...

This being a prime example telling us we need the best in class etc etc. When I see Edu, Pavel Nedved and Marc Overmars doing good jobs for their clubs. Overzealous bull.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Gary excusing the mismanagement of the club as a natural cycle

well done McKola for pressing him

Disrespectful from Neville in some ways. Fair enough on the fact that the Glazers dont care about protests but he could have shown some empathy with United fans complaints

Neville seems to be pedalling a myth that United fans are upset that we arent buying 100m world beaters when that's a distortion of the 5 key questions
A distortion? You only had to be monitoring the transfer thread all summer to see how unrealistic some fans were. Hardly a myth.

The place has become a refuge for the desperate and deluded

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I thought Neville was right in most of his points. I'd rather we sign the right players than the scatter gun approach we used in the past 6 seasons which lead to limited success.

We won't be competitive this season but if we see the same kind of thing Liverpool fans saw in Klopp during that first season which was an identity and a style of play being built, it's enough. If Ole manages to implement that, it's just a question of keeping the players we want to keep, getting rid of the players he wants to get rid of and slowly continuing to add the right players to build a competitive team.

We will probably lose Pogba down the line which is a major blow as I don't think he has the patience or willingness to stick around while we're doing this rebuild.