Gary Neville on United

Justin Bieber

Neville criticises English players all the time.

But there's a small subset of Caftards who can't let go of his criticism of De Gea 7 or 8 years ago, and so twist everything since to fit their own narrative.
I know, it's insane a quick google search will show he is not a nationalist whatsoever.

It's pure delusion.

Jimmy_Bond

I dont know what a social media fan is. Many of we forum members are season ticket holders.
I agree with some of what Neville said especially the Herrera part. Your are correct in that our 1st team is better than it was last season but I would suggest our squad is weaker and we still lack the attacking options or players to lighten the creative burden on Pogba. I have anxiety about games where we cannot break down the opposition and resort to aimless passing. What's our front 3? Who is supposed to supply them? We'll just have to wait and see
I agree with more or less everything you've said there. We're pretty much gambling on the young players developing and the players like Martial and Rashford really elevating themselves to the next level. There isn't a great deal of creativity in Liverpool's midfield, in fact I'd say ours has more by the mere presence of Pogba.

There is a world class striker in Martial, and a real top class forward in Martial. Time for a manager to get these players where they should be, and for the players to really step up and show the desire to get there. If they don't, we're in trouble. If the attack is top class, the midfield can be bypassed to a certain degree providing the attack has a lot of pace. Ours does. But they need to add a clinical end product to this raw pace and we're laughing.

Is it certain? Nope. Do I want to see a manager really invest in these players, rather than Jose who just wanted to use them as tools to get the ball to a donkey like Lukaku. Yes.

Oh so he isn't a nationalist, he just criticised players you like and didn't criticise players you don't like. Got it.
Anybody referring to him as a Nationalist is a moron, and doesn't deserve your time.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Neville is such a clown. Basically he's saying he thinks its fine if we're shit for another 10 years because at some point we'll be good again
It is always a bit up and down but when it is down, you need to see progress to make it up again. And that is what I do not see at all at this club. Ed is floating around helplessly for 6 years straight and still has no proper football structure in place.

Dante

Average bang
It is always a bit up and down but when it is down, you need to see progress to make it up again. And that is what I do not see at all at this club. Ed is floating around helplessly for 6 years straight and still has no proper football structure in place.
He's a United fan, so he'll react with passion and emotion in the heat of the moment.

But if you give him a bit of time and space, he's the most level headed pundit on TV, and he rarely says anything that's unreasonable.

Ekeke

And thats fine according to Neville, because before he dies of old age United will be winning again

Dante

Average bang
Neville is such a clown. Basically he's saying he thinks its fine if we're shit for another 10 years because at some point we'll be good again
That's not what he said.

There's no club in history that have stayed at the very top for decades on end (except perhaps mega-clubs in uncompetetive leagues).

Any fan needs to understand that there'll be ups and downs, and that those periods are difficult to predict. We'll eventually find our way out of the mire, but there's no set formula for success or else every team in the world would be following it. United are no different in that respect.

Neville is being inherently realistic to take a big picture view (ie. he's looking at decades long timeframes, rather than season long timeframes) and inherently optimistic to assume that we'll rediscover a solution that other big clubs never achieve again.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He's a United fan, so he'll react with passion and emotion in the heat of the moment.

But if you give him a bit of time and space, he's the most level headed pundit on TV, and he rarely says anything that's unreasonable.
I disagree. I think he got worse over the years and Carragher nowadays is so much more balanced and reasonable. Just check out the thread here regarding Gary as a commentator

Dante

Average bang
I disagree. I think he got worse over the years and Carragher nowadays is so much more balanced and reasonable. Just check out the thread here regarding Gary as a commentator
:lol: The denizens of the Caf are hardly the arbiters for reasonable footballing opinions!

Patrick08

Neville nailed it on Herrera. Decent enough player but no better than a lot of central midfielders out there. Genuinely think he has been the most over-rated player on this website that I have ever come across.
No one said that when he pocketed hazard.

Patrick08

Ahh the cycle. Others clubs don't wait for our cycle to gain momentum he seems to ignore.

0161_UNITED

Gaz was spot on, and the imbecile internet pseudo celebrity looked a right twat.

Lentwood

As usual, most of what Gary said reflects my feelings exactly.

- Believes we need a football man in charge, does not believe Ed should be making football decisions BUT is willing to concede that we seem to have learned some lessons recently

- It's been a good window with two, potentially three, good players coming into the club

- Ole would have liked to have sign more and move more on....but that's not the reality for 99% of the clubs on this planet. Only the likes of City can bin eight and buy eight in one window. There's 'rich' and then there's 'money is no object'

- It's a GOOD thing that we haven't just gone out and bought a load of 'names' and thrown cash at them to reluctantly get them to play for us

OL29

Neville criticises English players all the time.

But there's a small subset of Caftards who can't let go of his criticism of De Gea 7 or 8 years ago, and so twist everything since to fit their own narrative.
It’s pretty obvious he’s much harsher on the foreign players than the British ones, it’s not just united fans who have picked up on it either. That, added with his meltdown when united gave the job to a foreign manager, saying it should belong to a Brit, then subsequently taking a job at Valencia is straight out of the Britain First handbook. He’s not a nationalist but he has got some weird views.

Dante

Average bang
It’s pretty obvious he’s much harsher on the foreign players than the British ones, it’s not just united fans who have picked up on it either. That, added with his meltdown when united gave the job to a foreign manager, saying it should belong to a Brit, then subsequently taking a job at Valencia is straight out of the Britain First handbook. He’s not a nationalist but he has got some weird views.
He's not been harsher on foreign players, at all.

When did he say United's manager should be British?

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
the circle jerky self congratulatory backslapping for agreeing with GNev is nauseating. As if being a prominent media personality has nothing to do with him not calling out the ownership. He's talking a load of b*ll*cks, doesn't have to go in cycles when you generate twice as much money as all your rivals.

Dante

Average bang
the circle jerky self congratulatory backslapping for agreeing with GNev is nauseating. As if being a prominent media personality has nothing to do with him not calling out the ownership. He's talking a load of b*ll*cks, doesn't have to go in cycles when you generate twice as much money as all your rivals.
City have more money than United. If not for City, United would have won the title in 2017/18.

buckooo1978

- Believes we need a football man in charge, does not believe Ed should be making football decisions BUT is willing to concede that we seem to have learned some lessons recently

- It's been a good window with two, potentially three, good players coming into the club

- Ole would have liked to have sign more and move more on....but that's not the reality for 99% of the clubs on this planet. Only the likes of City can bin eight and buy eight in one window. There's 'rich' and then there's 'money is no object'

- It's a GOOD thing that we haven't just gone out and bought a load of 'names' and thrown cash at them to reluctantly get them to play for us
learned our lesson :lol:

August 2018: Our Search for a Director of Football is on....

August 2019: Our Search for a Technical Director continues

slow learners

OL29

He's not been harsher on foreign players, at all.

When did he say United's manager should be British?
If you say so, the day I see him tear into a brutish player with the venom he tears into some of our foreign players will be a big shock.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-news-gary-neville-3472857.amp

"I personally would like to see a British manager be appointed because Manchester United have always appointed British managers."
He went on a few weird rants about united not hiring a British manager around the time but I’m not surprised you don’t remember.

Irwin99

We didn't know if we'd be in the Champions League or not until late April/May. If you don't want to bring in mercenaries only in it for the money then this plays a huge role in recruitment. This idea we had months before the season ended to solidify targets is a total fallacy.
Sorry but that's rubbish. We bought AWB, James and Maguire and we didn't have CL football and you only have to look at some of the signings at Arsenal, Everton, Wolves etc to see you can bring in very good players without CL football. We should have planned for the departures of Herrera and Lukaku some time ago, and Ole said at the time that players going out would have to be replaced.

It's incompetence by the board and glazernomics, it's that simple. 3 of our last 4 managers have had nothing positive to say about Ed and the club's recruitment and it looks as if a 4th manager will struggle with these things too. The lengths people will go to to exonerate these people is extraordinary.

jeff_goldblum

I agree with him that signing big name players who couldn't care less about the club hasn't worked in the past and that we shouldn't be bemoaning the lack of such signings. However, the idea that there were only 3 players capable of improving the squad who were keen to move here is laughable. Every summer our negotiating team seem to get distracted by a unicorn hunt on the way to the horse market.

The cycle stuff is irritating, if competent owners who gave a shit about the club had come in after Moyes' season we'd be back challenging by now, no question. There was always going to be a post-Fergie slump, but the idea that still being way off the pace half a decade later is part of a natural process is nonsense.

ravi2

Sorry but that's rubbish. We bought AWB, James and Maguire and we didn't have CL football and you only have to look at some of the signings at Arsenal, Everton, Wolves etc to see you can bring in very good players without CL football. We should have planned for the departures of Herrera and Lukaku some time ago, and Ole said at the time that players going out would have to be replaced.

It's incompetence by the board and glazernomics, it's that simple. 3 of our last 4 managers have had nothing positive to say about Ed and the club's recruitment and it looks as if a 4th manager will struggle with these things too. The lengths people will go to to exonerate these people is extraordinary.
I ignore anyone who defends those assholes at this point.

clarkydaz

Neville came across as a dismissive prick. Mc Kola was excellent and asked good questions, I'm not a huge fan of ftd's at all but that was great. I felt he asked questions that many fans raised this Summer. Neville answered in a smug way, felt Neville talked down to him at times. I know ex players have such an insight in to the game but there is still a place for fans.
I thought exactly the same. City have built what they have through shrewd planning and decision making over a long period of time. Neville is a convincing speaker as he likes the sound of his own voice, even though he will contradict himself you will buy it.

Extremely arrogant saying we can win the league before Liverpool considering where the 2 clubs are. This is the guy who wanted to keep Moyes and couldn't see that Rooney was finished

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I just can't see how difficult it can be for a club like United to get the signings to fill in the positions that we are lacking. It's pretty much what the fanbase is flaggergasted about. Every transfer window shouldn't be desperation. Before last season we were negative about the transfer window and we had a shit season. Again we are going into another season lacking in key positions. It just can't be that hard. Other big clubs manage to do it quite well.

Dante

Average bang
Last edited:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Thought what he said was spot on tbh. There is a bit of a culture of what I’d call “instant gratification” these days where everyone wants things to happen quickly.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Neville came across as a dismissive prick. Mc Kola was excellent and asked good questions, I'm not a huge fan of ftd's at all but that was great. I felt he asked questions that many fans raised this Summer. Neville answered in a smug way, felt Neville talked down to him at times. I know ex players have such an insight in to the game but there is still a place for fans.
Agreed.

fergosaurus

He came across that way to me as well, the "let me finish" comment was unnecessary and he interrupted McKola just as much. Another thing that jumped out at me was he was defending the Glazers for not backing Jose when at the time he was ranting about how Jose should have been backed after giving him a new contract and that the board should have trusted his judgement of players because they're not football men. Now that his mate is the manager there's an apparent shift in his views on the Glazers/Woodward.

Dante

Average bang
You're coming across the same way.

Dante

Average bang
He came across that way to me as well, the "let me finish" comment was unnecessary and he interrupted McKola just as much. Another thing that jumped out at me was he was defending the Glazers for not backing Jose when at the time he was ranting about how Jose should have been backed after giving him a new contract and that the board should have trusted his judgement of players because they're not football men. Now that his mate is the manager there's an apparent shift in his views on the Glazers/Woodward.
Neville was the pundit, McKola was only supposed to ask one question and leave it at that.

McKola kept interrupting Neville over and over again. That wasn't the format. I couldn't hear the full points that he was trying to make because of that.

Patience

He's not.

He is saying - like all those with half a brain are saying - that we have to give a manager time to turn things around. Because that is the only way back to the top.

See the upturn Liverpool have had?

Well, their manager finished 8th during his first season in the EPL. If he was our manager and he finished 8th, he'd have been sacked. No doubt about it. Moyes finished 6th, sacked. LvG finished fifth, sacked. Mourinho when he looked like finishing outside top 4 sacked. There is no chance in hell our impatient and silly fanbase or our silly CEO would have accepted Klopp finishing so low in the league. He'd have been out the door.

But did Liverpool sack him? No. They kept with him and then they slowly but surely improved every year as the manager slowly but surely put the squad together. I think they've a good shout at winning the title this year; because they have a manager in full control that has the full backing of the fanbase and full backing of the club. You can only get that by giving a manager the time it takes to achieve that level of respect around the whole club. Liverpool's recent success comes down to their owners and fans having patience with a manager.

Whereas our manager loses two games in a row, and fans are all up on RedCafe calling for him to be sacked. There is no patience at our football club. Hence my username. We need this more than we need anything.

Neville is saying we will only get back to the top once we give a manager years to take full control over a dressing-room, years to implement his way, years to clear the decks and have a dressing-room filled with players he wants at the club.

Like it or loathe it; it looks like we are finally taking this route. No more bringing in "top-class managers" who will try to buy "top-class players" for a quick fix. We are taking a young, promising manager who loves our club and allowing him to evolve the squads slowly but surely.. until a few years down the line he has a squad that he loves and totally controls - and that is when we will start to do what Liverpool did.. climb slowly and steadily up the table year on year.

Anyone thinking we are just gonna jump from 6th to first by buying the likes of bloody Paulo Dybala have obviously ben asleep for the past five years when our CEO thought signing Schwiensteiger or Di Maria or Falcao or Ibra would instantly get us back to the top.

That's not how this game works. And that is what Neville is saying.

We need to give a manager the years it takes to get us back up there eventually. We need to let a manager evolve a squad.

It'll take time. It'll take patience.

I roll my eyes at any fan who thinks this isn't the case.

Patience is key for our fanbase. Thank fully the match-day fan has it - our "social media fans" clearly don't - they are living on a different planet.

fergosaurus

Neville was the pundit, McKola was only supposed to ask one question and leave it at that.

McKola kept interrupting Neville over and over again. That wasn't the format. I couldn't hear the full points that he was trying to make because of that.
Other fans were asking more than one question.

Regardless of who interrupted who more Neville looked smug and dismissive the way he handled it. There was no need. He was rattled because McKola was asking challenging questions which he couldn't answer without contradicting himself and making himself look like a fool which is exactly what happened.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Some good points there.

Dante

Average bang
Other fans were asking more than one question.

Regardless of who interrupted who more Neville looked smug and dismissive the way he handled it. There was no need. He was rattled because McKola was asking challenging questions which he couldn't answer without contradicting himself and making himself look like a fool which is exactly what transpired.
:lol:
No he wasn't.

Neville was urging everyone to step back and look at the big picture. McKola kept insisting to look at the little one, whilst flogging the same dead horse about Woodward.

Neville actually agreed about Woodward, but then brought in other factors to explain that things are never as simple as that. It was the reasonable perspective to take.

fergosaurus

:lol:
No he wasn't.

Neville was urging everyone to step back and look at the big picture. McKola kept insisting to look at the little one, whilst flogging the same dead horse about Woodward.

Neville actually agreed about Woodward, but then brought in other factors to explain that things are never as simple as that. It was the reasonable perspective to take.
:lol: good one.

On the second bolded part, we both have very different views about how we went about our business this summer but what's done is done and we have to get over that now.

Noone was saying it was going to be simple, people just expected us to address our very obvious midfield concerns but instead we managed to weaken it. It is also not the best plan to pin all our hopes on the kids coming through as well as expect several of our supposed key players to step up and deliver consistent performances over the course of a season which they have shown no indication of doing.

McKola was just echoing what a large part of our fanbase thinks so it was a bit of a dick move of Neville to be condescending like that.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

He's not.

He is saying - like all those with half a brain are saying - that we have to give a manager time to turn things around. Because that is the only way back to the top.

See the upturn Liverpool have had?

Well, their manager finished 8th during his first season in the EPL. If he was our manager and he finished 8th, he'd have been sacked. No doubt about it. Moyes finished 6th, sacked. LvG finished fifth, sacked. Mourinho when he looked like finishing outside top 4 sacked. There is no chance in hell our impatient and silly fanbase or our silly CEO would have accepted Klopp finishing so low in the league. He'd have been out the door.

But did Liverpool sack him? No. They kept with him and then they slowly but surely improved every year as the manager slowly but surely put the squad together. I think they've a good shout at winning the title this year; because they have a manager in full control that has the full backing of the fanbase and full backing of the club. You can only get that by giving a manager the time it takes to achieve that level of respect around the whole club. Liverpool's recent success comes down to their owners and fans having patience with a manager.

Whereas our manager loses two games in a row, and fans are all up on RedCafe calling for him to be sacked. There is no patience at our football club. Hence my username. We need this more than we need anything.

Neville is saying we will only get back to the top once we give a manager years to take full control over a dressing-room, years to implement his way, years to clear the decks and have a dressing-room filled with players he wants at the club.

Like it or loathe it; it looks like we are finally taking this route. No more bringing in top-class managers who will try to buy top-class players for a quick fix. We are taking a young, promising manager who loves our club and allowing him to evolve the squads slowly but surely.. until a few years down the line he has a squad that he loves and totally controls - and that is when we will start to do what Liverpool did.. climb slowly and steadily up the table year on year.

Anyone thinking we are just gonna jump from 6th to first by buying the likes of bloody Paulo Dybala have obviously ben asleep for the past five years when our CEO thought signing Schwiensteiger or Di Maria or Falcao or Ibra would instantly get us back to the top.

That's not how this game works. And that is what Neville is saying.

We need to give a manager the years it takes to get us back up there eventually. We need to let a manager evolve a squad.

It'll take time. It'll take patience.

I roll my eyes at any fan who thinks this isn't the case.

Patience is key for our fanbase. Thank fully the match-day fan has it' our "social media fans" are living on a different planet.
Absolute nonsense.

Firstly, it wasn't Klopp's team, it Rodgers' who got the sack in October. Klopp wasn't afforded a summer transfer window and a preseason to work with his players. Still, he took his team to two finals by the end of that season. When we played them in the Europa League, they already looked to be the better side despite us having the same manager for two whole seasons. Not only their fans but the whole football world could see that their performances were gradually getting better. From that point onward, he never failed to finish in the top-four. It took Klopp time but he also met all his short-term goals while working on the bigger picture. Moyes, LvG and Mourinho served us crap on a plate and they all failed, at some point, spectacularly to deliver the bare minimum for a club of our stature which is CL football. The United fanbase has been overly patient with them and their antics.

Solskjaer himself has talked about the need to meet our short-term goals. He has the fans' love and appreciation because of his legendary status as a player. And they will be patient with him simply because they've been patient with EVERY manager since 2013. But he will have to deliver one way or the other. Otherwise, we're not talking about patience but about blind faith and sheer romanticism. The same blind faith and romanticism that dragged Liverpool and its fans you so willingly congratulate into midtable mediocrity during the '90s.

Dante

Average bang
I just mean that you seem to be dismiss any issue the fans take if it means criticising figures around united. Not all fans are hysterical, some concerns are genuine.
Nonsense.

You're really, really reactive and really, really judgemental.

First you called Neville a nationalist, and now this. Crikey.

Dante

Average bang
:lol: good one.

On the second bolded part, we both have very different views about how we went about our business this summer but what's done is done and we have to get over that now.

Noone was saying it was going to be simple, people just expected us to address our very obvious midfield concerns but instead we managed to weaken it. It is also not the best plan to pin all our hopes on the kids coming through as well as expect several of our supposed key players to step up and deliver consistent performances over the course of a season which they have shown no indication of doing.

McKola was just echoing what a large part of our fanbase thinks so it was a bit of a dick move of Neville to be condescending like that.
Neville didn't disagree with any of McKola's points. He added to them.

McKola was being rude by asking a question and then interrupting the answer.