Gary Neville - Pundit

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I am sure if we had signed Kane, he would have looked for another reason why we won't win the league.

stevoc

strange watching them both waffle on about which would be better grabbing a goal off the bench, when did that become how we decide who's the best and why was Fellaini not mentioned
Don't think he scored many coming off the bench, not for United anyway that I can remember.

RedDevil@84

I feel they pretty much speak what their bosses have asked them to. You can have individual opinions, but there will be a general agenda to follow and roles that the pundits should assume.

tjb

The whole I just have a feeling that United won't win the league is a very odd argument. Really seems like wants to say it's down to our manager but won't say it.
[/QUOTE]
I don't really think that's it either. I think he's trying hard not to seemingly join the bandwagon like Jamie tends to do and embarrass himself later on. The problem is that he's gone and done the opposite. It makes it hard to watch sky at times because the person who is supposed to bring a touch of passivity about United is so adamant on being neutral that he's actually judging us way harsher than other teams. We finished second, we have performed well to start the season. The Wolves game was the only one in which I don't think we played well. We've battered teams at home, got three world class players and are heading in the right direction. Yet you have pundits talking about how our Newcastle performance was unconvincing, where we consistently attacked in the first half and were probably as good as anyone in those first 45 minutes this weekend. Yet somehow it was average and everyone else had a fantastic weekend. The truth is, we may not win the league, same way Chelsea, City and Liverpool may not win it. But we will challenge for it and as long as we are challenging, we can win, both at home and abroad. Yet for some reason, people expect dominance weak in weak out from United, but allow an average victory for everyone else.

arthurka

:lol: That was my first reaction, I think the substitute argument from Carragher is folly, neither player would be used much off the bench because they are too good.

Carragher's point of Messi running a game is a valid one though
Yes fully agree with that, he really can take a game by the scruff off the neck and win it.

Dante

Average bang
The midfield is the problem. That's what's holding us back. But Neville refuses to say anything about Pogba.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Despite the hysteria around wanting to see Neville call for Ole's head, Gary's been making good observations about United for awhile. His post match comments last night another example.

He will never call out his old teammates. However, indirectly he's been heavily critical. Why did Man Utd think they could press Liverpool? Why has it taken 8 weeks of poor performances, and a hammering by the Scousers, for us to think: 'Hey we should drop into shape out of possession'?

He's right that this lets nobody off the hook. It could be a turning point. But, personally, I'd like Ole to actually answer the questions Neville asked.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

He is a charlatan. He has caused enough damage by not calling out the incompetency of the manager.

Ixion

If Gary Neville calling out or supporting the manager actually makes any difference I'd be amazed. He doesn't give the thumbs up or down for a manager's head.

RUCK4444

It’s not Gary’s place to have influence for or against whoever the manager of Manchester United is.

He’s done what he needed to do, been very critical of our season so far, tactics included but at the same time held back from calling for the manager to be sacked, which is 100% the right thing to do and has nothing to do with Ole being his mate, he’s never called for a managers head.

Pundits, or failed managers as they are also known, should have no influence over it. And for those moaning, he hasn’t exactly given Ole a glowing review this season, far from it.

Ralph1386

What’s Gary’s take on Nuno’s sacking? Does he think he should have been given more time?

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I just can't stand his drama. Still can't unhear his Super League rant.

Tomuś

He was spot on about all of that though
He may have been but it sounded as if there was a war breaking out our other serious stuff. And he did go too far with demanding the clubs to be relegated or some bollocks like that.

Ixion

He may have been but it sounded as if there was a war breaking out our other serious stuff. And he did go too far with demanding the clubs to be relegated or some bollocks like that.
I said the club should be relegated if we went through with it. It was and still is a terrible idea and the club should forever be ashamed for attempting it

Tomuś

I said the club should be relegated if we went through with it. It was and still is a terrible idea and the club should forever be ashamed for attempting it
He was pushing for relegation even after U turn, didn’t he?

If Gary Neville calling out or supporting the manager actually makes any difference I'd be amazed. He doesn't give the thumbs up or down for a manager's head.
Of course it doesn't make any difference. He was saying Moyes needed time...

Not sure why some people get wound up by Gary. He loves the club and he's entitled to his opinion, he's paid to give his opinion.

I like how much Gary engages with fans and people on social media, he really brings down the barriers and like him or not he is 100% himself with no fake PR stuff.

I think he'd have been great on social media if it was around when he was playing too. I like what he says about players needing to ditch their social media managers and just do it themselves.

Born2Lose

Gary's fallen into the trap of trying to position himself as a fan hero by spouting stuff that appeals to reactionary fans and doesn't annoy his employers e.g. ESL is a disgrace, anti-Glazers etc.

It was inevitable at some point the mood would change to something he doesn't agree with and now he's paying the price for his previous posturing and vanity.

Dante

Average bang
Gary's fallen into the trap of trying to position himself as a fan hero by spouting stuff that appeals to reactionary fans and doesn't annoy his employers e.g. ESL is a disgrace, anti-Glazers etc.

It was inevitable at some point the mood would change to something he doesn't agree with and now he's paying the price for his previous posturing and vanity.
Or maybe he's on the side of the good guy, and the people attacking him for something he has no power over are the villains.

Stacks

It’s not Gary’s place to have influence for or against whoever the manager of Manchester United is.

He’s done what he needed to do, been very critical of our season so far, tactics included but at the same time held back from calling for the manager to be sacked, which is 100% the right thing to do and has nothing to do with Ole being his mate, he’s never called for a managers head.

Pundits, or failed managers as they are also known, should have no influence over it. And for those moaning, he hasn’t exactly given Ole a glowing review this season, far from it.
agreed. He is doing his job. The only annoyance is when he says "they are gonna stick with him" "see it out to the end of the season" "they have changed their ways of sacking managers"
How would he even know?

RUCK4444

agreed. He is doing his job. The only annoyance is when he says "they are gonna stick with him" "see it out to the end of the season" "they have changed their ways of sacking managers"
How would he even know?
Yeah don't get me wrong, he still get's on my last nerve at times. He talks as though he has inside knowledge on how the club see things when he doesn't have the foggiest.

I'd rather he just be honest about our performances, like he is, and didn't make it sound like he knows more than he does.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Yeah don't get me wrong, he still get's on my last nerve at times. He talks as though he has inside knowledge on how the club see things when he doesn't have the foggiest.

I'd rather he just be honest about our performances, like he is, and didn't make it sound like he knows more than he does.
You know this as fact?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

Of course he has inside information!

He was very bullish that Ole wouldn’t get sacked when every bookmaker in the world had it at almost even odds.

He obviously has inside info to a degree, as I’m sure many media elements do.

It’s how the Glazers work.

RUCK4444

You know this as fact?
Of course he has inside information!

He was very bullish that Ole wouldn’t get sacked when every bookmaker in the world had it at almost even odds.

He obviously has inside info to a degree, as I’m sure many media elements do.

It’s how the Glazers work.
Come on guys, who at the club is filling in ol' Gary?

The board probably see him as nothing but a nuisance and I can't see them feeding him information on whether the manager is safe or not, same for Ole's staff as they are in the dark. The bookies will have better inside information than Gary the pundit. He's laughed in the past and said as much (that he doesn't get inside info.) He had no idea LVG was going and was as upset as anybody about the way it was done and from memory was still backing Mourinho when he was sacked, he wouldn't have known the inside track on the boards chat about Ole last week, so he just said what he thought they would do.

He's simply talked confidently based on what he believes the club intend to do. He doesn't have to be 100% right in order to convey an opinion confidently.

lex talionis

I don't mind that Gary doesn't call for Ole's sacking. What I do mind is that he places all the blame on the players and never on the manager. He'll bemoan failed tactics but he won't assign responsibility to the manager who imposes these tactics on the players.

He obviously knows his stuff but his refusal to call out his mate for his failures is embarrassing.