Gary Neville - Pundit

cyberman

The problem with Gary is he doesn’t see the other point of view. If it’s 50/50 and it goes against his view then it’s this massive miscarriage of justice that he just can’t understand. What’s wrong with saying I think it isn’t a foul but fair enough if it is?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He refuses to admit he is wrong even when multiple angles show Kane had pushed Thiago Silva. He does this consistently and I find it infuriating. Very bad trait to not be able to admit when you are wrong.
He did that also with Shaw in a game he was commenting. Multiple slow reply showed Shaw got the ball, but he refused to change his opinion regardless. If he's willing to do that with hard fact evidence, I pity anyone just arguing using common sense with him.

Nero

Wonder if he cringes at his Lukaku hype after the first few games of the season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wonder if he cringes at his Lukaku hype after the first few games of the season.
It peaked when Lukaku had tapped in against some chumps, and was like he was using his pre existing opinion that it was a great signing before giving it a chance for the evidence to macth that.

Instead, it's yet another huge signing that hasn't been anywhere beyond "Ok", like Grealish

Owen11

Supports
French/naija
I'll give Gary Neville a blank cheque to stop punditry

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I find it very difficult to feel happy for the Geordies. Their club has been literally taken over by murderers. Disgusting how people put football over human life.
People misuse the word 'literally' for effect but not here. The Saudis are murderers, torturers and barbarians. Their religious 'judiciary' orders public executions, beating and even crucifixions of political opponents ffs. I mean I hate the Glazers business strategies but at the end of the day they're not evil. The Saudi regime is evil.

rememberwhenwewerekings

People misuse the word 'literally' for effect but not here. The Saudis are murderers, torturers and barbarians. Their religious 'judiciary' orders public executions, beating and even crucifixions of political opponents ffs. I mean I hate the Glazers business strategies but at the end of the day they're not evil. The Saudi regime is evil.
Just being devils advocate, If Saudis bid for United wanting to put all the correct footballing structures/management back in place and rebuilding the club to how we should be, would you be against them and campaign for the glazers to stay?

red4ever 79

Thought that his podcast would have warranted its own thread to be honest. He is basically saying that he knows which of the small group of players are behind all the leaks and are causing the problems. That's huge.

Hazarding a guess as to who they are. I can think of 2
Henderson, Lingard.

stw2022

Just being devils advocate, If Saudis bid for United wanting to put all the correct footballing structures/management back in place and rebuilding the club to how we should be, would you be against them and campaign for the glazers to stay?
100%

Being flawed owners > murderers

djembatheking

Thought that his podcast would have warranted its own thread to be honest. He is basically saying that he knows which of the small group of players are behind all the leaks and are causing the problems. That's huge.

Hazarding a guess as to who they are. I can think of 2
Henderson, Lingard.
The club is rotten.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Yes I would be utterly against it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Genuinely feels like he can't say anything in commentary without someone having a pop at him in the match day thread.

For the life of me I can't understand why he gets so much shit from some on here... He's a club legend for feck sake, so feckin' what if you disagree with his opinion!? Does it really matter?

Josep Dowling

Genuinely feels like he can't say anything in commentary without someone having a pop at him in the match day thread.

For the life of me I can't understand why he gets so much shit from some on here... He's a club legend for feck sake, so feckin' what if you disagree with his opinion!? Does it really matter?
Exactly. United fan, ex player and captain. I don’t understand why people hate on him. He was also quite biased in his commentary over United as well. I know he gets hate half the time for trying to be neutral, which is weird in itself. That’s his job.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Great servant for our club, terrible pundit. These two statements can co exist.

Why is that so complicated for you to need to merge this as though they are mutually exclusive?

He didnt say anything too silly today apart from brushing over the Bruno incident or claiming AWB wasn't clipped early on. But generally he talks a mountain of shite, has a clear brit bias and is often hypocritical.

Judas

Open to offers
The anger over getting the AWB tackle wrong was embarrassing. Everyone watches a challenge or an incident and can get it wrong, it's football, you might not see something the first time.

flameinthesun

Why is that so complicated for you to need to merge this as though they are mutually exclusive?

He didnt say anything too silly today apart from brushing over the Bruno incident or claiming AWB wasn't clipped early on. But generally he talks a mountain of shite, has a clear brit bias and is often hypocritical.
How is he a terrible pundit? this is an argument that I don't get. When you look at the list of pundits that cover the premier league whether for sky or BT its clear hes one of the better ones. Pretty sure opposition fans would say hes biased towards united. Either way it at least seems like him and Carragher try to do a bit of research, try to be unbiased and try to be analytical. Which is more than what a lot of pundits do. People seem to like pundits like Keane because "he says it like it is" when most of the times he offers nothing interesting about a game other than the standard you got to want it/fight more/get stuck in/insert standard pundit cliche here. At least neville brings more than that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The anger over getting the AWB tackle wrong was embarrassing. Everyone watches a challenge or an incident and can get it wrong, it's football, you might not see something the first time.
It was pretty blatant that WB had been fouled. To miss it was pretty poor.

arnie_ni

Someone actually said he shouldn't comment on a incident until hes seen a replay because he had to say he got it wrong the first time around in reference to the awb foul not given.

He even said today about the ref giving a fk against awb because the Leeds fan shouted Loud enough

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

But there's a difference between criticising his punditry and just hurling abuse at him... Especially if it is just disagreeing with his opinion.

Acole9

Outstanding

I agree, people on here are seriously weird about him.

freddie the red

I would never have wanted the Saudis to take over United and now that they're in at Newcastle it's thankfully not going to happen.
The problem then is just exactly who would be likely candidates to succeed the Glazer family as owners of the club?
Unlike purchasing City, Chelsea or Newcastle nobody is going to get the club on the cheap as it's already a billion plus dollar business.
So anybody who'd be able to afford the sort of money that would tempt the Glazers would have to have extremely deep pockets.
We're talking Bezos, Musk, Zuck, Brin, Gates type money and I don't see any interest from those guys.
Jim Radcliffe from Ineos is a Brit but I've not read anywhere of interest from him so that leaves either "Oligarchs" or some other oil state as most likely candidates and do we want to go down either of those roads? I doubt it!

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
How is he a terrible pundit? this is an argument that I don't get. When you look at the list of pundits that cover the premier league whether for sky or BT its clear hes one of the better ones. Pretty sure opposition fans would say hes biased towards united. Either way it at least seems like him and Carragher try to do a bit of research, try to be unbiased and try to be analytical. Which is more than what a lot of pundits do. People seem to like pundits like Keane because "he says it like it is" when most of the times he offers nothing interesting about a game other than the standard you got to want it/fight more/get stuck in/insert standard pundit cliche here. At least neville brings more than that.
Because he says a lot of stupid and hypocritical shit. And he exaggerates to the extent youd be forgiven to think hes on a Broadway musical.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
As does every pundit and every fan...
Not really. Neville is relatively speaking far more exaggerative than his peers. Often using the term "its a joke" when a player makes a good first touch and "it embarassing, ridiculous" if a player might not track back. Hes really volatile with praise and criticism, whilst also being an immense hypocrite especially post the Kane interview.

CloneMC16

Gary and Jamie are easily the best pundits on tv. It's not even close. MNF shows them at their absolute best. They're the best at breaking down football on tv. If people think Gary is terrible, they must think everybody is. Keane says nothing of any real value. Anybody on this forum could go on Sky Sports and do the same thing Keane does. Most pundits are like that, so it's nothing against Keane.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Sometimes he needs to caveat his comments but he doesn’t, he goes all in.

”I’d like to see that again, looked like AWB caught him”… something like that.

Too many pundits say thIngs are amazing or awful… there’s plenty between to choose from.

tomaldinho1

In fairness he even then said it was once he saw more replays.

Dante

Average bang
The gantry is alway miles away, and the tackle happened on the other side of the Leeds player's body. That position gives you a good overhead view, but you can't see everything.

The referee was only a few yards away and didn't see it either. It was only obvious on replay.