Gary Neville - Pundit

Wezzaldo

The FA or premier league shouldn't do a thing to stop anyone going down just because that team brings money to the league. Would be kinda outrageous if they did.

I have no idea if the FA or Premier league have it within their powers to get rid of the Glazers but we all know they are as much use as a chocolate teapot.

The only people who can get rid of the Glazers is you lot. Total boycott until they sell. It would take a couple of months and they'd sell up.

I know that's easy for me to say but don't expect help from the football authorities. It took a war for the uk government to be interested in Chelsea's takeover.
i said it in another thread, but we supposedly have 35 million fans in the US. Our friends across the pond should protest at Tampa games, removing the Glazers ability to hide and also creating far more negative exposure as the US media would be all over it and are far more brutal than our own.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
They don't care what happens on the pitch, if anything the less we care about the footballing side of things the more they can just focus on what they think United really is, an advertising agency for commercial revenue.
But that looks like it will soon dry up also on our current trajectory. Who knows where we could end up this season now, this season could be the hammer how to our appeal commercially.

What are these "levers" I keep seeing?
In reference to the financial deals Barca are making to generate cash, which they're referring to as 'levers'.

flameinthesun

Really annoyed me yesterday. He of all people knows its going to be a struggle for us this season, he of all people knows that we need as much support as possible during this transition. Yet yesterday from minute 1 he was negative about Martinez, about EtH etc. The amount of times dalot or shaw didnt get to a ball and the commentary team said it was martinez shows how they already have the narrative of Martinez is too small, premier league is too tough for EtH etc.

Gary could do a lot of good for this club by setting a good narrative e.g. its gonna take time, we can see what EtH is trying to do but its gonna be a bumpy road, stick with the team etc. But instead he chooses to be negative. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the likes of Gary, Keane, Scholes etc add to the negativity around this club rather than provide positivity.

Irrational.

Really annoyed me yesterday. He of all people knows its going to be a struggle for us this season, he of all people knows that we need as much support as possible during this transition. Yet yesterday from minute 1 he was negative about Martinez, about EtH etc. The amount of times dalot or shaw didnt get to a ball and the commentary team said it was martinez shows how they already have the narrative of Martinez is too small, premier league is too tough for EtH etc.

Gary could do a lot of good for this club by setting a good narrative e.g. its gonna take time, we can see what EtH is trying to do but its gonna be a bumpy road, stick with the team etc. But instead he chooses to be negative. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the likes of Gary, Keane, Scholes etc add to the negativity around this club rather than provide positivity.
If his mate Ole was still in charge, that’s the exact narrative he’d be pushing.

croadyman

What has been done to this club is a crime and is literally not legal anymore. As much as rival fans may be enjoying our demise, part of them must understand deep down that we are genuine victims of a travesty that should never have been allowed to happen. The pillaging of an important institution.
Yeah that's the part which really stings

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It's not the point I'm discussing. I'm saying the Glazers not spending their own money isn't an issue. That's Gary whipping up more anger. Nor are the dividends. Irrelevant stuff.

In terms of "we should spend a lot more" I'm not sure that's the answer. Fans of all clubs could say that but when you support a club that's spent as much as anybody in the world, it becomes redundant.

Money spent is just fine. It's how its spent and we have to work out why that keeps going wrong.

Even this summer, with only spending a modest amount so far, most fans could have used that money better and really upgraded this team.

If Gary wants to examine the problem then do so. How can a club keep buying the wrong players year after year.
Think most people agree that the club should be financing it's own transfers. It is the assumption by the media that it is the Glazers are providing the money. This has become a big issue since the oil clubs appeared because we know damn well it is not the clubs financing their transfers. If the owners were not siphoning off money then their would be more money to spend, not that there is any proof we wouldn't waste it. They have let the club be completely run by money people whose agenda is making them more money through sponsorship deals rather than the product on the pitch.

Kill3r7

i said it in another thread, but we supposedly have 35 million fans in the US. Our friends across the pond should protest at Tampa games, removing the Glazers ability to hide and also creating far more negative exposure as the US media would be all over it and are far more brutal than our own.
Protests over sports aren’t really a thing in the US. Like at most there might be a few dozen fans holding signs. That’s the extent of it. The NY Knicks have an awful owner and besides booing during games and the odd person holding a “Dolan out sign” that’s the extent of it.

Marwood

Think most people agree that the club should be financing it's own transfers. It is the assumption by the media that it is the Glazers are providing the money. This has become a big issue since the oil clubs appeared because we know damn well it is not the clubs financing their transfers. If the owners were not siphoning off money then their would be more money to spend, not that there is any proof we wouldn't waste it. They have let the club be completely run by money people whose agenda is making them more money through sponsorship deals rather than the product on the pitch.
Can't say I've ever really noticed that. I thought everybody knew United were self financing or whatever the phrase might be.

For an owner to fund transfers at a club like United you'd need incredible wealth. To be owned by a state or a dubious/criminal type character. Surely nobody actively wants that.

The money taken in dividends is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things. Should barely warrant a mention.

The debt of course is the much bigger issue.

Marwood

Funny how Gary used to be asked to play at CB sometimes and he isn't tall. SAF wasn't bothered.
He was bothered. Fergie is on record as saying if Gary had been taller he'd have been an excellent CB.

Only played him there when he had no choice.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Can't say I've ever really noticed that. I thought everybody knew United were self financing or whatever the phrase might be.

For an owner to fund transfers at a club like United you'd need incredible wealth. To be owned by a state or a dubious/criminal type character. Surely nobody actively wants that.

The money taken in dividends is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things. Should barely warrant a mention.

The debt of course is the much bigger issue.
It crops up every time anybody moans about the owners. Agree about the debt, I will never forgive them for doing that.

Manny

Grammar Police
‘Look at me when I’m talking to you’. What an unprofessional cnut.

Gary is right, and him calling out the Glazers a good thing for the traction it will get.
Neville did well not react to that. He knows the headlines and momentum would of gone in a different direction if he did.

tomaldinho1

If his mate Ole was still in charge, that’s the exact narrative he’d be pushing.
That’s why people are justifiably annoyed with him. If he’d always been the same, it’d be fine but he tailors his narrative based on who is in charge.

LARulz

That's also his opinion. Under Ole he was arguing about time and we were all fed up of it. His gripe now isn't the manager but the players, owners and wider board

I would rather he push the narrative things need to change than a "let's wait and see". He is not asking for ETH to go, but the board

As for Martinez etc. being short, well he is. He will be targeted and it will be obvious, there is no getting around that. That doesn't mean he will fail, but it's ridiculous not to mention it

Redfrog

He said aswell, the Glazers only spend what the club generates, is that not good business sense? I get the players not good but they have spent a fortune, so not really they’re fault if players aren’t good enough.

Why should they spend their own money?
What ? It’s not their fault if they spent money like trash ? It’s not their fault they gave the club to incompetent people ?
They are incompetent.
By the way they spent jack all. It was all the club money. They are the worst thing that happened to this club.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
But that looks like it will soon dry up also on our current trajectory. Who knows where we could end up this season now, this season could be the hammer how to our appeal commercially.

In reference to the financial deals Barca are making to generate cash, which they're referring to as 'levers'.
Ohh I see. Thank you.

Alonzo

Think people need to stop taking the bait with some of these comments. Anyone not taking aim squarely at the Glazers is just trying to get a reaction. Don’t let it work you up.

what’s happening with the independent regulator btw? Is there any chance that being implemented would have some bearing on these parasites having to sell/conform to stricter guidelines re reducing debt, dividends etc?

macheda14

He said aswell, the Glazers only spend what the club generates, is that not good business sense? I get the players not good but they have spent a fortune, so not really they’re fault if players aren’t good enough.

Why should they spend their own money?
We’ll that’s the point ‘they’ haven’t spent anything. One of the counter arguments people like Souness or you make against United fans who decry their ownership is that ‘they’ do spend money and quite a lot of it.

The money spent is money generated by the club, it isn’t an achievement that the club is allowed to spend its own money. The money spent has also been spent mostly by executives who have no football sense with the structure from top to bottom being the fault of the owners. The buck ultimately stops with them. So yes it is their fault if the players aren’t good enough.

Liverpool’s owners are probably the most equivalent - before Klopp and Edwards they were derided by their fans. They’ve since put in a great structure which has resulted in good recruitment and an updating of both their stadium and training grounds. With little to no investment from themselves personally.

FrantikChicken

Of course the blame is on the owners. Even if they’re allowing money to be spent, the people who they are putting in charge to spend it are absolutely not fit for purpose at top level football.

Newcastle had their new owners come in, and within one January window structured and organised everything better than us in the past 10 years. Got a decent manager, made some smart signings, and immediately the club has turned around.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

What did he say yesterday that was negative about EtH? I only saw the bit with him and Redknapp and I don't recall him having a go at the manager.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
That’s why people are justifiably annoyed with him. If he’d always been the same, it’d be fine but he tailors his narrative based on who is in charge.
Is this true?

He's been going in on the Glazers and the overall structure of the club for a while now. He held his hands up back last year (or maybe two years ago now, actually) and said he hasn't been as critical of the Glazers as he should have been over the years; he admitted that. But that's changed now. Also, there's no doubt that Ole was his mate - of course, he was. And you are going to be less critical in that scenario (not defending it), but even that changed in the end. Also, he's never been one to advocate for managers to be sacked. And he's certainly not advocating for EtH to be sacked, so not sure what you (or the guy you responded to) are talking about here.

tomaldinho1

Is this true?

He's been going in on the Glazers and the overall structure of the club for a while now. He held his hands up back last year (or maybe two years ago now, actually) and said he hasn't been as critical of the Glazers as he should have been over the years; he admitted that. But that's changed now. Also, there's no doubt that Ole was his mate - of course, he was. And you are going to be less critical in that scenario (not defending it), but even that changed in the end. Also, he's never been one to advocate for managers to be sacked. And he's certainly not advocating for EtH to be sacked, so not sure what you (or the guy you responded to) are talking about here.
Yes, you’ve kind of just proved it. Just because he eventually changed his tune doesn’t mean he didn’t treat Ole differently.

He says he’s not an advocate for managers to be sacked basically because he won’t directly say it but if he’s sticking the boot in every other week, it’s clear what he thinks. He did that with LVG, Mou, had a hiatus for Ole and will be doing it again soon.

Glazers are rancid but we have no guarantees of better owners. People keep saying we need best in class etc. but we have a leadership team without any real experience and jettisoned Ragnick, someone with real DoF experience, as soon as we had the chance. Woodward/Arnold simply do not want to relinquish any control. It’s a cycle of doom.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yes, you’ve kind of just proved it. Just because he eventually changed his tune doesn’t mean he didn’t treat Ole differently.

He says he’s not an advocate for managers to be sacked basically because he won’t directly say it but if he’s sticking the boot in every other week, it’s clear what he thinks. He did that with LVG, Mou, had a hiatus for Ole and will be doing it again soon.

Glazers are rancid but we have no guarantees of better owners. People keep saying we need best in class etc. but we have a leadership team without any real experience and jettisoned Rangnick, someone with real DoF experience, as soon as we had the chance. Woodward/Arnold simply do not want to relinquish any control. It’s a cycle of doom.
He was sticking the boot in when Ole was there!

I mean, they were mates, yes, and perhaps there were occasions where he was asked the question "is Ole good enough" and he would dodge it. But again, that changed. Also, he's never advocated for a manager to be sacked. I can't remember him saying Mourinho should get out of there, or that LVG should go, etc. He was equally as scathing about the club when Ole was there. And another thing, if anything he's been quite complimentary of Mou and LVG since they've been sacked because he keeps bringing up the the fact that we've had two world class coaches (referring to them two) and it still hasn't worked. Ergo, he was actually taking the blame away from them.

I also don't get the bit in bold, to be honest. So because we could possibly have even worse owners, we (or Neville I'm guessing) shouldn't criticise them? I don't know the point you're making there.

Frank Grimes

There is a misconception that all ex players leave and want their ex club to keep winning. This is not entirely true. Rio Ferdinand admitted it.

Manny

Grammar Police

Its not for Neville to set a positive narrative. That's on the Glazers with how they keep the club competing for the big trophies.

He was spot on about Martinez, who was subbed at half time so ETH obviously thought the same. Most fans were already concerned about the physical aspects before the season even started. And I didn't think anything Neville said about ETH was unfair. He has done ETH a favour by going after the Glazers post match, instead of talking about all the things that were going wrong.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
There is a misconception that all ex players leave and want their ex club to keep winning. This is not entirely true. Rio Ferdinand admitted it.
Are you implying that Neville wants the club to fail, somehow? Or am I misreading what you're saying?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I don’t always agree with Gary but holy feck - Jamie Redknapp is fecking simple.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Not Neville specifically. Maybe he does but how do I know what any one person thinks. Check out Rio's video on it, very honest.
I'll have a look. I'm not a massive fan of Rio, to be honest.

But yeah, I don't think for one second that Neville wants anything but success for this club. He clearly loves United, there's no doubt about that.

AFC NimbleThumb

His post match with Redknapp has popped up on my Youtube & he’s absolutely right! The trouble at United isn’t simply on the pitch the infrastructure is fecked.

croadyman

Glazers are rancid but we have no guarantees of better owners. People keep saying we need best in class etc. but we have a leadership team without any real experience and jettisoned Rangnick, someone with real DoF experience, as soon as we had the chance. Woodward/Arnold simply do not want to relinquish any control. It’s a cycle of doom.
Any owner is better than Glazers

Jericholyte2

To those whinging about Neville, when did holding up a mirror and telling the truth about a situation become ‘toxic’?

Flexdegea

That was an ironic point of course, given his today's punditry performance. The problem of your club's ownership is a problem on a very different level.
But the immediate problem before you is not the Glazers, but Neville's fecking miserable doom-mongering in the position of chief pundit of the main Premier League broadcaster.

I agree. We are bad but he like turfing petrol into a burning car.....................I'd go as far as too say he ruins most matched he commentates on where we are involved. I know he passionate, and a legend..........but it's constant

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I don't believe that for a second. There's no way 1 out of every 10 Americans supports United.

littlepeasoup

Imagine perpetuating the belief that the biggest thing wrong with the club is a commentator and not the parasite owners who have completely ran the club into the ground.

Have your opinions, sure. Say what you like about Gary Neville, I don’t give a shit. But if you’re going to come out with nonsense that he’s a worse problem than the Glazers, you’ve no fecking clue. You’re just an opposition fan with a garbage point of view on a wind up.