Gary Neville - Pundit

Marwood

He's getting a bit too giddy about things this year.

Watches Lukaku tap one in against a depleted Arsenal and declaring him to be some sort of world beater.
Then says Havertz can be "anything" despite failing to play the simplest of balls to Lukaku for a certain chance on goal v Liverpool.
That's his thing. Gets an idea and goes all in. Did the same with Southgate in the summer.

Did it all last season whenever somebody had a good 10 mins against us. Got all giddy about their "shape". Then we go two up and their shape is never mentioned again.

Once you remember its just football I find it quite entertaining.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He’s right tbf. We won’t win the title this season. This is going to be the hardest season for any team to win the league but I think it’s between Chelsea and Liverpool.
Totally. Even if we signed a really decent DM we would struggle because we don't have a great coach. But without the DM we're third at best. Ronaldo like Cavani will play in the box so no matter how good he is, he's not going to win games lost in midfield.

Doracle

Why on earth would he say that? christ :lol:

he's playing down United's chances to keep the pressure off, there is nothing more to it
Quite so. The agenda posting on here to say it’s to keep the pressure off Ole when it’s clear it’s to keep the pressure off the team is ridiculous. I’m sure Gary thinks we have a great chance to win the league but back page headlines of “Neville says United certain to win the league” would just pile the pressure on a bunch of players who don’t yet collectively have the experience of being regular trophy winners.

Varun

Staff
That's his thing. Gets an idea and goes all in. Did the same with Southgate in the summer.

Did it all last season whenever somebody had a good 10 mins against us. Got all giddy about their "shape". Then we go two up and their shape is never mentioned again.

Once you remember its just football I find it quite entertaining.
He's a pretty poor pundit especially for everything Utd and England. No wonder he went all giddy with Kane = title and had to backtrack now that we've signed Ronaldo.

Marwood

He's a pretty poor pundit especially for everything Utd and England. No wonder he went all giddy with Kane = title and had to backtrack now that we've signed Ronaldo.
Yeah it's one of the few times Gary's certainty of opinion has been possible to call out. It's easy saying three players = title when its theory. Bit different when it becomes a reality. But that's punditry in a nutshell. All theory.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Quite so. The agenda posting on here to say it’s to keep the pressure off Ole when it’s clear it’s to keep the pressure off the team is ridiculous.
He's been happy to criticise many United players, refereeing decisions that went for us, and the club itself.

Maticmaker

"Gary can start a fight in an empty house"...isn't that what SAF said about him, or was it about Keano??

But its what gets both of them a spot on TV as pundits.

What we have to remember on SkySport/BTSport/BBCMOTD etc.sports programmes all the pre match review, pre match-talk, half-time talk, full-time talk and post match analysis are all part of a TV show. The football its-self may not be 'staged managed' on these programmes, but everything else is!
There is all most as much time devoted to the 'talking' part as to the football itself.
Because of the advertising viewing figures are crucial.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The top-half of the team and defense is a title contending team, but that CDM slot is such a glaring, massive weakness.

It's like we've built a Ferrari and installed a bucket where the steering wheel is supposed to go.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
"Gary can start a fight in an empty house"...isn't that what SAF said about him, or was it about Keano??

But its what gets both of them a spot on TV as pundits.

What we have to remember on SkySport/BTSport/BBCMOTD etc.sports programmes all the pre match review, pre match-talk, half-time talk, full-time talk and post match analysis are all part of a TV show. The football its-self may not be 'staged managed' on these programmes, but everything else is!
There is all most as much time devoted to the 'talking' part as to the football itself.
Because of the advertising viewing figures are crucial.
Wasn't it Dennis Wise?!

Jaxa

I’ve really went off him as a commentator

Talks so much sh*te and sometimes I question wether we’re watching the same game, also the amount of over exaggerating he does is baffling

Ollie Derbyshire

I’ve really went off him as a commentator

Talks so much sh*te and sometimes I question wether we’re watching the same game, also the amount of over exaggerating he does is baffling
He used to be really good and insightful but just goes way to over the top for me now. Shame.

RedStarUnited

He has a hard on for Chelsea. Anyone who watched their game vs Villa would tell you Villa should have scored and were better for huge parts of the game. Yet Gary called it a robotic, methodical display that never looked in doubt...

0le

He has a hard on for Chelsea. Anyone who watched their game vs Villa would tell you Villa should have scored and were better for huge parts of the game. Yet Gary called it a robotic, methodical display that never looked in doubt...
Did you actually listen to the quote? He said (12:31):

Villa played well, Villa are a decent side, but Chelsea again, just like a robotic methodical [machine] you know when you score that first goal, Lukaku, I just thought, "oooo" its ominous and there is a feeling about Chelsea, clean sheets, the striker scoring guaranteed, the players in behind them, a good midfield, that they are going to be very difficult to stop.
So basically he said once Chelsea scored it looked ominous but you make it sound like he said Villa were shit.

Swedish_Plumber

Also says (again) just after the clip finishes that Kane would’ve won us the league but Ronaldo won’t. He’s either trying to take the pressure off of Ole or he really likes contradicting himself…

Messi's got 4 Champions Leagues, surely. You get - or used to get at that point, anyway - medals for featuring in the competition even if you miss the final like he did in 2006 (same way Pique got one for us in 08).

Bit silly if Sky Sports put together an entire comparison and got something that basic wrong. The fanboys are probably raging already.

Josh 76

Messi's got 4 Champions Leagues, surely. You get - or used to get at that point, anyway - medals for featuring in the competition even if you miss the final like he did in 2006 (same way Pique got one for us in 08).

Bit silly if Sky Sports put together an entire comparison and got something that basic wrong. The fanboys are probably raging already.
Ronaldo has won 2 international trophies ?
Messi has won 0?

isn’t the Copa America equivalent to the Euros?

Becks_VII

Ronaldo has won 2 international trophies ?
Messi has won 0?

isn’t the Copa America equivalent to the Euros?
Ye how did they miss this?? I thought this clips was maybe from a few months ago before seeing the date

tjb

Not going to lie. There's something eerie about this MNF discussion. It feels like both pundits are trying to play down us getting Ronaldo. It's understandable for Jamie, but Gary's really starting to annoy me. Talking about Haaland or Kane, when Ronaldo is staying for at least 2 seasons and Greenwood is there too to takeover.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

Also says (again) just after the clip finishes that Kane would’ve won us the league but Ronaldo won’t. He’s either trying to take the pressure off of Ole or he really likes contradicting himself…
His obsession with Kane is really weird. Like if you want to point out defencies as to why we won't the PL, they are two clear handicaps. Manager and our midfield. Not sure why the mental gymnastics are needed for Kane.

Not going to lie. There's something eerie about this MNF discussion. It feels like both pundits are trying to play down us getting Ronaldo. It's understandable for Jamie, but Gary's really starting to annoy me. Talking about Haaland or Kane, when Ronaldo is staying for at least 2 seasons and Greenwood is there too to takeover.
Neither are worth listening to. Carragher started his argument by "there's absolutely no question about him being the best ever". I mean it reads straight like one of the posts from their versus thread. It's fine to accept Messi as a superior footballer, I think so too. But, it grates me when folks pretend Ronaldo isn't his peer. Or, when they put him in a rung or two below to Messi in imaginary tiers by pretending he’s a glorified Inzaghi who’s been a poacher all his career.

Also, Neville is only saying that because Ronaldo is a Utd player. I highly doubt he actually believes that, considering what he said about Kane a moment later.

RUCK4444

In a one off game to bring on a sub Gary’s argument of a more well rounded finisher in Ronaldo is a valid point.

When a sub comes on they may only get one chance, might fall to your weaker foot or might be a header. So his point in this argument is valid imo.

The fact Messi has scored more as a sub is probably nothing more than the fact he’s been a sub a lot more than Ronaldo?

macheda14

Kane and Ronaldo probably get you the same amount of goals, but Kane gets you more assists and gets involved in the build up more.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Ronaldo has won 2
One of them Messi can never win because he doesn't compete in an equivalent format (Nations league). Why not add Messi's Olympic trophy then since that is also an international title?

Messi and Ronaldo have both won their nations continental titles, and therefore should be equal in national trophy regards.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Yeah but why was Messi a substitute so many times? That should be the question.
:lol: That was my first reaction, I think the substitute argument from Carragher is folly, neither player would be used much off the bench because they are too good.

Carragher's point of Messi running a game is a valid one though

CloneMC16

Him jerking off over Kane is more annoying. He talked about Kane getting invovled in the build up more than Ronaldo. We don't need our striker to get involved in the build up. The club employees Pogba, Bruno, and Sancho to create. All we need Ronaldo to do is score and he will do that very well.

Sweet Square

The whole I just have a feeling that United won't win the league is a very odd argument. Really seems like wants to say it's down to our manager but won't say it.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The whole I just have a feeling that United won't win the league is a very odd argument. Really seems like wants to say it's down to our manager but won't say it.
I reckon your spot on there. I think deep down he doesn't think Ole has what it takes against the other 3 big managers.

He won't say it as it would be a dick-ish thing to do.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I reckon your spot on there. I think deep down he doesn't think Ole has what it takes against the other 3 big managers.

Let's be honest that's what most people are thinking, put Pep, Klopp or even probably Tuchel in charge of our team and the whole media would be painting us as clear favourites

Sweet Square

One of the difficulties of having your former team mate managing the club you used to play for and still support. There would be no way Neville could talk about it without it looking like a act on Ole. At this stage if might as well just lie and say yeah United are favourites.

Let's be honest that's what most people are thinking, put Pep, Klopp or even probably Tuchel in charge of our team and the whole media would be painting us as clear favourites
For sure and it is now the only major difference between United and the others.

RedStarUnited

Did you actually listen to the quote? He said (12:31):

So basically he said once Chelsea scored it looked ominous but you make it sound like he said Villa were shit.
“you know when you score that first goal, Lukaku, I just thought, "oooo" its ominous and there is a feeling about Chelsea,”

thats my exact point, Villa could and should jave scored atleast twice AFTER Chelsea scored. So there was nothing ominous about them after that goal.

GlasgowCeltic

strange watching them both waffle on about which would be better grabbing a goal off the bench, when did that become how we decide who's the best and why was Fellaini not mentioned

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Who cares what these blokes reckon to our chances? It's not like it has any influence on it.

Write us off and let us surprise people.