Gary Neville - Pundit

Chairman Steve

He’s going to blame the players for this one isn’t he? I can see it now when he’s on Sky next.

“Dave, there‘s some snakes in that Utd dressing room and they’re not playing for Ole”

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Has Gary Neville mentioned so far today that United appointed two big names which didn’t work so they won’t do it again

Lee565

Watch neville say he doesn't like this group of players at the club to cover for his friend ole despite saying the complete opposite about liking this almost identical group last season

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Neville should be a swear word on this forum. Main reason why we've persisted with the status quo for so long.

IrishMcD

Imagine if Mourinho, after getting hammered by Liverpool and City, decided to feck off on holidays for a week rather than work with players who haven't been called up by their countries. Hugely disrespectful and Neville would go nuts over it. You won't hear a peep out of him though

Dante

Average bang
Neville should be a swear word on this forum. Main reason why we've persisted with the status quo for so long.
He makes absolutely no difference to anything whatsoever.

United will carry on hiring and firing managers based on results. Gary Neville isn't some kingmaker that the Glazers listen to before making decisions. Today being a case in point.

Rightnr

United will carry on hiring and firing managers based on results. Gary Neville isn't some kingmaker that the Glazers listen to before making decisions. Today being a case in point.
He's got a huge sway over the fanbase and how effective this bullshit propaganda of sticking with Ole because he's a nice guy and legend before considering he's awful at his job.

Dante

Average bang
He's got a huge sway over the fanbase and how effective this bullshit propaganda of sticking with Ole because he's a nice guy and legend before considering he's awful at his job.
:lol:

He has barely any sway over anybody. The volume of abuse he gets is proof enough of that.

Rightnr

He has barely any sway over anybody. The volume of abuse he gets is proof enough of that.
Well, whatever. You also believe OGS left us in a much better position than before.

We perceive reality differently.

AFC NimbleThumb

1:33-1:43 And a reminder what tactical genius Ole is.
I swear, u16 teams are better coached.
Run more than you’ve ever done. You’ll get chances.

My worry with him has always been he thinks it’s ‘that’ easy. Say a few platitudes & send ‘the lads’ out there.

With some separation I think in his private moments he’ll realise what a mess he made of this great opportunity. He’s had the longest rope anyone will get & been given umpteenth millions.

He’s failed the fans but he’s failed himself hugely, he’ll never get an opportunity like it & he didn’t actually do the things he claimed he wanted.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

It's one of the more bizarre aspects of the in-fighting among United's fan base (at least on here) - this ridiculous idea that Neville is some sort of idol for whoever happens, for whatever reason, to not cry wildly for the manager's head all the time.

Dante

Average bang
It's one of the more bizarre aspects of the in-fighting among United's fan base (at least on here) - this ridiculous idea that Neville is some sort of idol for whoever happens, for whatever reason, to not cry wildly for the manager's head all the time.
I think it's because there's a faction of fans who believe that football is played out on social media.

A player is only good as the number of positive tweets about him. And he becomes bad if he's the subject of lots of memes. Clubs and managers are judged according to the same metrics.

In that imaginary world, pundits are treated like agenda setters. If Neville says it, it suddenly becomes a valid topic for discussion on the internet. And then the resulting likes and retweets decide whether any particular opinion becomes the accepted reality or not.

I think the anger comes from the fact that the people who think this way put Neville on a pedestal and want him to speak out on favourite talking points. When he doesn't, they take it as a personal affront.

But firstly, you can't democratise truth. A thousand people repeating the same sentiment doesn't necessarily make it more true than an opposing view that's only been repeated a hundred times.

Secondly, you don't need a mouthpiece to kick off a conversation for you. Neville isn't the Speaker of the House of Commons. Just fecking discuss whatever you want. He doesn't need to speak first order to validate your argument.

RC89

Neville is far too holier than thou to ever say anything that comes close to honest when on about getting Ole the sack. I don't see why crucifying players is okay but a manager is crossing some sort of line. He's a hypocrite that's got his head so far up his own arse that he can't smell the BS that he regularly spews.

For me, I support the club. I might have an affinity to a player or manager, but my ultimate ambition is for the club to succeed on the pitch. If that means that I think a player or manager need moving on/upgrading, that's what informs my conclusions.

Not too sure what Sky are paying him for at this point TBH. He either thinks a manager should never be sacked or if they should he won't say it, but he's being paid to give his opinion and views. Wish someone would sack him.

NK86

I think it's because there's a faction of fans who believe that football is played out on social media.

A player is only good as the number of positive tweets about him. And he becomes bad if he's the subject of lots of memes. Clubs and managers are judged according to the same metrics.

In that imaginary world, pundits are treated like agenda setters. If Neville says it, it suddenly becomes a valid topic for discussion on the internet. And then the resulting likes and retweets decide whether any particular opinion becomes the accepted reality or not.

I think the anger comes from the fact that the people who think this way put Neville on a pedestal and want him to speak out on favourite talking points. When he doesn't, they take it as a personal affront.

But firstly, you can't democratise truth. A thousand people repeating the same sentiment doesn't necessarily make it more true than an opposing view that's only been repeated a hundred times.

Secondly, you don't need a mouthpiece to kick off a conversation for you. Neville isn't the Speaker of the House of Commons. Just fecking discuss whatever you want. He doesn't need to speak first order to validate your argument.
Don't you think that when the Board is made up of mostly non-footballing folks, thoughts former players in the media do make a difference.

Heck, for us as a club who are more worried about clicks and sound bytes, it becomes even more obvious. Not saying his is the first or the final word but obviously he can still call it as he sees it instead of beating around this bush because his mate is in charge.

Needham

At least he can look his friend in the eye at functions. How many of you can say the same?

Ted Lasso

My worry with him has always been he thinks it’s ‘that’ easy. Say a few platitudes & send ‘the lads’ out there.

With some separation I think in his private moments he’ll realise what a mess he made of this great opportunity. He’s had the longest rope anyone will get & been given umpteenth millions.

He’s failed the fans but he’s failed himself hugely, he’ll never get an opportunity like it & he didn’t actually do the things he claimed he wanted.
Go back as far as his first full season as manager for United, that loss to Crystal Palace I think it was. If you go back and watch the pre-match comments I believe, Ole let's it slip that he hasn't watched our last game against CP to look for strategy. Come the game, much like many a pundit and couch coach predicted CP targeted Lindelof on the long balls, scored and eventually won the game as well.

I just remembered thinking how unwittingly arrogant the pre match comments were. The loss was not because of drive, it was a genuine lack of preparation.

It hasn't changed since then. Like you said, Ole has squandered an opportunity. Good will and spirits are important but so is the hard work of meticulously planning that others seem to do.

Dante

Average bang
Don't you think that when the Board is made up of mostly non-footballing folks, thoughts former players in the media do make a difference.

Heck, for us as a club who are more worried about clicks and sound bytes, it becomes even more obvious. Not saying his is the first or the final word but obviously he can still call it as he sees it instead of beating around this bush because his mate is in charge.
You're also one of the non-footballing folk. How closely does your opinion align with that of Neville?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Pretty sure Gary crossed the 'the manager should be sacked' line with Mourinho. Touch of the old timers setting in for Gnev.
Gary has undoubtedly treated Ole favorably but he does have this weird fetish for binding managerial contracts which permeates across different United mangers.

However the preferential treatment to mangers over players amuses me. As if the manager is some higher being you must bow before and the players common sheep you can use for target practice. Players are criticized all the time for not being good enough but when it comes to managers "THATS WHERE I DRAW THE LINE".

NK86

You're also one of the non-footballing folk. How closely does your opinion align with that of Neville?
You have a fair point. However I don't care for social media as much as the club does. A lot of noise made by former players would definitely get their attention.

Do you think if the fans had not made their disdain for the current situation known, the Board would be taking this decision now? Does that not show they give weightage to opinions from people not associated with the club. Neville being a former player, his words would hold even a bigger sway, at least that's my reading of it.

Mr Smith

Your periodic, friendly reminder of Gary Neville's contribution to this hot mess

Let's not forget that he was echoing the thoughts of 90% of fans, who shouted down anyone who pointed out that it was a lacklustre performance and that we barely deserved to go through. Say what you like about Neville; he's very consistent in not calling for the manager's head at every club, not just United.

Jibbs

He is a leech who feeds on his connections with the club and within the club. That's what keeping him relevant.

Ludens the Red

This.

There seems to be this automatic go to of saying “he tried his best” and “did all he could” but he didn’t. If he did there’d have been some improvements in the big problem areas that saw his downfall. He also repeated the same mistakes time and time again. I think he’s been a lazy coach in all honesty.
He claimed to want attacking football but when his back was against the wall he would revert to a defensive pragmatic style time and time again.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I don't know what he means by "We"

Salford love a manager sacking and he's not involved with United anymore, actually does his best to keep it that way too IMO.

He needs to find a sign that says "I say I would do things differently but I'm a hypocrite" and pose in front of that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Didn't know Gary Neville was ManUtd owner or board member.