Gary Neville - Pundit

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Neville's attitude towards the Glazers changed when Nicky Butt left the club. That's when I noticed that not just Neville but also Scholes began to call the Glazers out for their incompetence.

Handsome Devil

Imagine perpetuating the belief that the biggest thing wrong with the club is a commentator and not the parasite owners who have completely ran the club into the ground.

Have your opinions, sure. Say what you like about Gary Neville, I don’t give a shit. But if you’re going to come out with nonsense that he’s a worse problem than the Glazers, you’ve no fecking clue. You’re just an opposition fan with a garbage point of view on a wind up.
Well said mate.

RedDevilQuebecois

Neville's attitude towards the Glazers changed when Nicky Butt left the club. That's when I noticed that not just Neville but also Scholes began to call the Glazers out for their incompetence.
I guess they would not believe how bad things are at United until one of them (Nicky Butt) has been working in the house long enough to see what kind of shitness the Glazers have allowed to fester.

AdNani

he's an absolute embarrassment. just wants a soapbox to rant on and on on whatever narrative suits him that month
by calling out the glazers? which every united fan should? him doing that is only a good thing. far from a fecking embarrassment

Trequarista10

Imagine perpetuating the belief that the biggest thing wrong with the club is a commentator and not the parasite owners who have completely ran the club into the ground.

Have your opinions, sure. Say what you like about Gary Neville, I don’t give a shit. But if you’re going to come out with nonsense that he’s a worse problem than the Glazers, you’ve no fecking clue. You’re just an opposition fan with a garbage point of view on a wind up.
Exactly. This post should be a disclaimer on each of the guys posts in this thread. I've seen some weird takes in here, especially this summer, but this dude has trumped the lot.

Bobski

Utd fans generally want him to rant about whatever narrative suits them that month. Which have inherent biases just as much as his.

always_hoping

He kept talking about being bullied etc and it just wasn’t happening. They weren’t bullying us in the air at all but he kept saying it over and over again
Yeah like a parrot that learnt a new word and didn't know when to shut-up. Sky coverage will be on mute from now on.

Doesn't he have to do that? Otherwise 80% of the population will say he's only talking about how shit United are and not how good Brentford were.
Shouldn't be by that difficult for someone on the commentary to call it like it was. United shit over Brentford outstanding was obvious to most watching that match yesterday.

fezzerUTD

1 million per cent.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Come on Hansi, there's no way you believe that :lol:
That was an ironic point of course, given his today's punditry performance. The problem of your club's ownership is a problem on a very different level.
But the immediate problem before you is not the Glazers, but Neville's fecking miserable doom-mongering in the position of chief pundit of the main Premier League broadcaster.
It's probably not to be expected that irony, or better call it light-hearted hyperbole, comes across well and evidently in written posts. Anyway, here's my point:
I repeat: I think it's a problem for your team, in its weekly endeavour to improve performances and results, if a legendary and highly influential ex-player does commentary and post-match punditry in the most relevant broadcast in such a way that he enriches every game's analysis with his holistic gripe with, and bitterness about, the clubs leadership and the entirety of recent history of what has gone wrong at the club.

It adds massive weight, like you wouldn't believe, in the sphere of public perception and atmosphere, onto the team's already heavy shoulders, and it makes it impossible for the new managerial team to receive anything like a clean slate, or the opportunity of a patient, calm fresh start. How hard is it to understand this?

And here is is completely IRRELEVANT whether what he's saying about the Glazers is right (I think it is). It's just about the frequency, occasion, and podium where he keeps saying it. He's punishing the team for something they're not culpable for.
I kind of get what @Hansi Fick is saying but at the same time they need people to call them out. The fans do weekly and it has no impact. Having the pundits saying it how it is might just rip the iceberg.
It's not that his opinion about the Glazers isn't right, I couldn't agree more with him and I would go further that I reject the idea of ownership of clubs at all.
It's just that he mixes it up constantly with his punditry and analysis of the team. And as much as he's an honest fan voicing an important argument, on the platform he does it -as pundit on Sky Sports- he's also merely acting as a useful idiot for the broadcaster who thrives from the rants and the controversy. The heroic anti-Glazer activism becomes a gimmick for Sky whether he wants it or not, and the sporting atmosphere of the team he supports is leadened with it. Not to mentions he also soaks any valid points of his in incredibly annoying, narrow-minded, and disingenuous nostalgia.

Last edited:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
It's probably not to be expected that irony, or better call it light-hearted hyperbole, comes across well and evidently in written posts. Anyway, here's my point:

It's not that his opinion about the Glazers isn't right, I couldn't agree more with him and I would go further that I reject the idea of owndership of clubs at all.
It's just that he mixes it up constantly with his punditry and analysis of the team. And as much as he's an honest fan voicing an important argument, on the platform he does it -as pundit on Sky Sports- he's also merely acting as a useful idiot for the broadcaster who thrives from the rants and the controversy. The heroic anti-Glazer activism becomes a gimmick for Sky whether he wants it or not, and the sporting atmosphere of the team he supports is leadened with it.
Yeah I did end up seeing the other post, and I do get what you're saying. I've just never really thought of Gary Neville as someone particularly influential when it comes to setting the talking points, but admittedly I'm fairly naive when it comes to social media outside of the Redcafe. I guess his standing as a pundit coupled with his United history does make him a pretty large figure when it comes to the discussion around the club.

RedorDead21

Should be doing more and calling for protests until they are forced out. Was happy to sway that far after the super league debacle. He takes his foot of the gas depending on the weekends results. He’s got a powerful platform and as a lover of the club, he could use it to full effect to try and help us out.

Fluctuation0161

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

The debt not going down, non football people being appointed, terrible signings, all that I can understand Neville and everyone else being annoyed about.

But a club financing its own trsnsfers? That's how it's supposed to be.
Yet all the Glazer apologists in the media say "they have spent the money". Annoying.

Fluctuation0161

Firstly look who their owners have been. You want that?

Secondly, financing our own transfers hasn't impacted our spend. We're right up there with the biggest spenders.

Believe me, if Gary Neville gets Salford to the higher levels he won't personally be paying for transfers.
Our income has always been the highest so we should be able to spend even more as needed. That hasnt happened.

Also the Glazers have mismanaged the spending of our own clubs money by keeping Woodward in position for nearly a decade ruining the club with poor recruitment.

Marwood

Yet all the Glazer apologists in the media say "they have spent the money". Annoying.
That's just semantics. They have spent the money. It'd be a bit tiresome to add on "money generated by the club" everytime it's mentioned.

Especially when the pubdits/fans point is that enough money has been spent(wherever that money has come from) to produce a really good team.

Marwood

Simon Jordan is an idiot who hadn’t a single clue how to run a football club and lost his fortune doing so
I'd say that makes him more qualified than anybody here to talk about how a football club is run.

RedorDead21

That's just semantics. They have spent the money. It'd be a bit tiresome to add on "money generated by the club" everytime it's mentioned.

Especially when the pubdits/fans point is that enough money has been spent(wherever that money has come from) to produce a really good team.
yes they’ve allowed the club to spend badly for a decade on their watch. Focusing on the successful business side of the club whilst neglecting the less important (to them) football side. They’ve made promises to change after the super league shambles and it was simply to make the problem voices go away. Nothing changed.

cyberman

I'd say that makes him more qualified than anybody here to talk about how a football club is run.
But he didn’t know how, he failed. Nobody in this forum is being paid to go in national radio and chat shit (that I know of)

Chief123

After saying Utd will finish in top 4 a couple of weeks ago, Neville just said on MNF that he thinks Utd could finish bottom half of the table this season. :nervous:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I am a bit sick of everyone who continues to say the but they have spent a lot of money line. The owners role doesn’t start & end with that. GNev is absolutely right that when the club has been a constant failure for a decade & has had multiple different managers then surely questions have to be asked about the leadership. At United all you see at the top is money grabbing leeches and unfortunately that has trickled down to every level of the club

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
After saying Utd will finish in top 4 a couple of weeks ago, Neville just said on MNF that he thinks Utd could finish bottom half of the table this season. :nervous:
He's too emotional, I get he's paid to give opinions and that's all he's doing but predicting us to finish top 4 was just as daft as predicting us to finish bottom half

Stacks

Our income has always been the highest so we should be able to spend even more as needed. That hasnt happened.

Also the Glazers have mismanaged the spending of our own clubs money by keeping Woodward in position for nearly a decade ruining the club with poor recruitment.
Not true. If you actually look at the finances we are nowhere near as profitable as the claims here.
2nd point I agree with

lex talionis

Neville's defense of Ole long after it was obvious he needed to be sacked puts him in the tin foil hat category for me. Yes of course he knows a lot more about football management that I do, but he disgracefully defended his mate when he should have joined everyone else who could see that Ole wasn't up to the job.

Chairman Steve

Our Gary lets his heart rule his head at times and that heart is not so much worn but tattooed on his sleeve. Remember this is a man who was grinning like a Cheshire Cat when we somehow knocked PSG out of the Champions League, giddy with excitement asking where Solskjaer wants his statue and when he’s signing a permanent deal.

Hughie77

Simon Jordan is an idiot who hadn’t a single clue how to run a football club and lost his fortune doing so
That's why Talkshite employed him like the rest of the hasbeens on it stealing a living off the station

RedorDead21

He's too emotional, I get he's paid to give opinions and that's all he's doing but predicting us to finish top 4 was just as daft as predicting us to finish bottom half
why we’ve been sparked by everyone in the past few months of PL football over 2 seasons regardless where in the table they are?