Gary Neville - Pundit

Tyrion

I mean it's his job to talk about it.

They were obviously panic buys as well. We could've signed Antony earlier in the window for cheaper and then massively overpaid for him at the end. We chased FDJ all summer and then randomly bought Casemiro after we got twatted by Brentford.
Tbf, it's possible Casemiro was a second choice midfielder and we went for him after it was clear FDJ wasn't leaving Barca.

Tarrou

Tbf, it's possible Casemiro was a second choice midfielder and we went for him after it was clear FDJ wasn't leaving Barca.
we tried to buy Rabiot a few weeks before.. was obviously a panic buy after a shocking start

Newtonius

I mean it's his job to talk about it.

They were obviously panic buys as well. We could've signed Antony earlier in the window for cheaper and then massively overpaid for him at the end. We chased FDJ all summer and then randomly bought Casemiro after we got twatted by Brentford.
Of course hes right, it doesn't sit well with people because for some inexplicable reason he didn't really want to do too much straight talking when his mate was in charge.

noelyman

Go look at his interview with Ten Hag before the Liverpool game. He isn’t giving Ten Hag an inch. He’s pushing for Ten Hag to say the owners are shit and haven’t back him properly in the market. He’s pushing to say this group of players are too weak to succeed.
I may be wrong but I remember him absolutely going in on Martinez during the first two games talking about how he simply can’t be successful in England. Unless I missed it he hasn’t addressed him at all since then? Small stuff like that add up.
News Flash: Our owners ARE shit. And if you don’t think so then you’ve not really been paying attention. Does he have an axe to grind against them and use every chance he has to besmirch them? Yes he does and I for one am glad he doesn’t cut our owners any slack. He speaks for most fans on the subject.

I suspect you are wrong about Martinez and very much doubt he will have dismissed his ability to succeed in the premier league after a sum total of 2 games. But feel free to share evidence of this.

You said “small stuff adds up”. It does if you have your magnifying glass out desperately trying to find evidence to feed your conspiracy theory narrative.

In addition to being a pundit Neville is just a fan finding our turnaround incredible like the rest of us. Stop finding things to moan about Victor Meldrew. Speaking of which when Meldrew made a whole career out of the catchphrase “I don’t believe it!” Do you take it literally that he didn’t believe anything or is it more an expression of amazement?

hodgey123

I am glad we signed Antony and Casemiro. That does not mean that we can pretend that these were not panic buys. If we had not been humiliated by Brentford and Brighton in the first couple of games, I don't think we'd have signed either. Casemiro is arguably the exact player that we needed but he would have been available all summer, so why else would we have waited until late August to do the deal? There were also no rumours linking us to him and we spent the entire summer chasing de Jong and then were very fortunate Rabiot priced himself out of a deal. Admittedly, the only other explanation is that we were working through a list of targets which somehow had Casemiro as third choice in the position but given what we know about our recruitment/scouting teams, that is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Antony is slightly different given the early window noise shows we were clearly interested, but unsure we'd have pulled the trigger if we'd been sat top of the league after 2 games. The panic element is also reflected by the fact that we ended up overpaying.

clarkydaz

He is never happy, is he? Now he is bashing us that Antony and Casemiro are just panic buys.
Even if they are, so what? Are you happy with their quality? If you are, then shut the feck up.
I think the subtext is the club is run poorly, which is what he is publicly maintaining

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I am glad we signed Antony and Casemiro. That does not mean that we can pretend that these were not panic buys. If we had not been humiliated by Brentford and Brighton in the first couple of games, I don't think we'd have signed either. Casemiro is arguably the exact player that we needed but he would have been available all summer, so why else would we have waited until late August to do the deal? There were also no rumours linking us to him and we spent the entire summer chasing de Jong and then were very fortunate Rabiot priced himself out of a deal. Admittedly, the only other explanation is that we were working through a list of targets which somehow had Casemiro as third choice in the position but given what we know about our recruitment/scouting teams, that is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Antony is slightly different given the early window noise shows we were clearly interested, but unsure we'd have pulled the trigger if we'd been sat top of the league after 2 games. The panic element is also reflected by the fact that we ended up overpaying.
Surely panic buys are signings you weren't planning on.
We know for certain we were after Antony, so although we paid a high fee, I don't think you can class that as one really.

Casemiro seemed to come out of nowhere, so we have no idea if he was on our radar, or whether we'd just contacted top clubs and asked was anyone going, and took him at almost random.
Totally different type of player to De Jong though, so it seems unlikely it was our recent target similar players approach.

Will Singh

Singling out our players while we are trying to get back to winning ways is something you’d expect from a scouser, for ex United or worse ex United teammate to do it I’m glad Ronaldo did what he did, fully deserved and I hope to see more spins from Antony too. feck the lot of them!

arnie_ni

Singling out our players while we are trying to get back to winning ways is something you’d expect from a scouser, for ex United or worse ex United teammate to do it I’m glad Ronaldo did what he did, fully deserved and I hope to see more spins from Antony too. feck the lot of them!
Howd he single him out?

FujiVice

That's Ronaldo's attitude. You're either with him or against him. The best player ever arguably, more money than a lot of countries have, and he's still paper thin skinned.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
That's Ronaldo's attitude. You're either with him or against him. The best player ever arguably, more money than a lot of countries have, and he's still paper thin skinned.
Those are the ones who have the thinnest skin because they think no one can criticise them. Look at Musk for an actual scary example

Malone_Post

Singling out a player that refused to come on as a sub, left the pitch before full time & then went home without permission (for the second time this season). And yet Neville is the bad guy for criticising this behaviour??!

Honestly the lengths people will go to in order to defend Ronaldo, including shitting on a genuine club legend, is quite frankly disgusting. The only person to blame over this whole sorry situation is Ronaldo and only Ronaldo. He is an absolute child and the sooner he is out of this club the better.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Rio sounds like a fan boy. I don't think Gary will lose any sleep over this.

OpenIntrovert

An explanation for the sudden Gary Neville-as-a-pundit fans.

Its fine to criticize Ronaldo's performances this season but the problem is that Neville assumed Ronaldo wants to leave based on what he read from media rumors and surmised that Ronaldo leaving early during the Tottenham game is a further illustration of him wanting to leave. Considering that Neville has played with Ronaldo for at least 5 seasons, he could have bothered to text or call Ronaldo and find out why. The fact that he did not and worst still, called for Ronaldo to leave based on his own assumptions is equivalent to backstabbing. That is why Ronaldo refused to acknowledge Neville.

Herman Toothrot

Its fine to criticize Ronaldo's performances this season but the problem is that Neville assumed Ronaldo wants to leave based on what he read from media rumors and surmised that Ronaldo leaving early during the Tottenham game is a further illustration of him wanting to leave. Considering that Neville has played with Ronaldo for at least 5 seasons, he could have bothered to text or call Ronaldo and find out why. The fact that he did not and worst still, called for Ronaldo to leave based on his own assumptions is equivalent to backstabbing. That is why Ronaldo refused to acknowledge Neville.
You sound like a child justifying a playground tiff.

OpenIntrovert

As for Roy Keane and Rio Ferdinand backing Ronaldo, it is important to understand that they are not accepting his behaviour (both have mentioned Ronaldo was wrong to leave early). What they are saying is that Ronaldo being on the bench does not do him any favors and that ETH should take a look at how he wants to really use him. It is a fair argument from a player point of view.

arnie_ni

As for Roy Keane and Rio Ferdinand backing Ronaldo, it is important to understand that they are not accepting his behaviour (both have mentioned Ronaldo was wrong to leave early). What they are saying is that Ronaldo being on the bench does not do him any favors and that ETH should take a look at how he wants to really use him. It is a fair argument from a player point of view.
Which is exactly what neville said.

He said he won't accept a bench role so needs to go to somewhere he'll get to start...

Glorio

I didn't see Rio Ferdinand's final form being head of the unofficial Cristiano Ronaldo fan club. Sad cnut.
And now we know why Rio will never be remotely balanced in his assessment of Ronaldo. What a shameless take.

I have no clue why getting blanked is such a big deal anyway. Just how much validation do these ex-players get from the mighty Ronaldo coming to say hi?
It's funny because going by performances, Ronnie could be an ex-player himself in the next 2/3 years.

OpenIntrovert

Which is exactly what neville said.

He said he won't accept a bench role so needs to go to somewhere he'll get to start...
If he had ended his speech there it would have been fine. The problem happened when he said that Ronaldo's behaviour is a indication that he has to leave (he also mentioned on why Ronaldo is unprofessional based on inputs from Bonucci etc). That is why Keane jumped in and said that other players at Manchester United have done worse than what Ronaldo did against Tottenham and they did not leave.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I wonder if some of you are a bit over sensitive and expect him to say 100% positive things about the players, team, manager etc. I always get the impression that he still loves the club and just wants better things for all of the fans, I never recall hearing anything negative and really like him. We've very few like your ex-players although I'm sure you can think of Wrighty who also behaves just like Neville. Both top servants and loyal to their old team-mates and clubs.

Glorio

:lol: How do you know have this esoteric knowledge of the exact quote that caused Ronaldo to actively blank Neville, pray tell?

How do you know it's not the fact that he said United are better without Ronaldo? Seems like that would hurt Ronaldo's ego a lot more than saying Ronaldo wants to leave - which many pundits have said anyway.

OpenIntrovert

I wonder if some of you are a bit over sensitive and expect him to say 100% positive things about the players, team, manager etc. I always get the impression that he still loves the club and just wants better things for all of the fans, I never recall hearing anything negative and really like him. We've very few like your ex-players although I'm sure you can think of Wrighty who also behaves just like Neville. Both top servants and loyal to their old team-mates and clubs.
To be frank I can see that he is very passionate about this club and I appreciate it. What surprises me is his relationship with his team mates, where for some reason he does not even know what is happening. I thought he would be a close contact of Ronaldo and would know what is happening, but instead we see him making remarks based on what he read online. That is like my friend describing me based on what he read on my facebook profile.

LARulz

To be fair to Neville - he hardly turned for Ronaldo or expected one and I don't think Redknapp would have got a hand shake either if he didn't practically jump in front of him

mctrials23

EtH knows how he wants to use him... and its from the bench whenever possible. The only reason he is playing right now is due to injuries.

UpWithRivers

Its the stupidest thig I've ever heard. What do you think Ten Hag has been doing? Not looking how he wants to use him? He wanted him on the bench and then to come on with a few minutes left. Thats what he wanted. How can anyone say he needs to look how he he really wants to use him? You think it was an accident by Ten Hag? He mistakenly put him on the bench then remembered he was there in the 90th minute? People say the stupidest sht

phelans shorts

Watch out, you’ll put your back out reaching this far

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
To be frank I can see that he is very passionate about this club and I appreciate it. What surprises me is his relationship with his team mates, where for some reason he does not even know what is happening. I thought he would be a close contact of Ronaldo and would know what is happening, but instead we see him making remarks based on what he read online. That is like my friend describing me based on what he read on my facebook profile.
I suppose I would wonder what possible use would Ronaldo have for an ex-player, even one as kind of influential in the media. Ronaldo only needs Ronaldo.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Rio sounds like a fan boy. I don't think Gary will lose any sleep over this.
Why on earth would Gary care about his relationship with Ronaldo? I doubt they've been pals these last 10 years or so. Neville has his own standing in the game in the UK and more importantly with Utd fans. Like you say, highly doubt this will give Gary sleepless nights.

clarkydaz

This is your logic that they are mates and keep intouch with each other, from being team mates 15 years ago? Then you have a go at Neville for 'assumptions' :lol:

Fully Fledged

:lol: How do you know have this esoteric knowledge of the exact quote that caused Ronaldo to actively blank Neville, pray tell?

How do you know it's not the fact that he said United are better without Ronaldo? Seems like that would hurt Ronaldo's ego a lot more than saying Ronaldo wants to leave - which many pundits have said anyway.
Yeah.
Keane said that CR7 wants to leave but has not been cancelled by by him Keane kept on saying that CR7 deserves to start every game he's fit for while GNev said that he is past his sell by date. That's more likely the issue. I don't know as I don't have a window into CR7's mind but that would be my guess.