Gary Neville & Roy Keane on punditry, coaching, United, Ireland

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Over an hour of two United legends talking candidly (perhaps excessively so at times) about various topics. Thought this might be interesting to some of you, give it a go.

Parts of it were already discussed here:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/is-roy-keane-dead-to-you.450405/

I thought the whole thing deserves its own thread.

Among the best bits are Gary speaking very honestly about his time at Valencia and Roy going on a fabulously bitter rant about Jon Walters.

Last edited:

stu_1992

I've watched around 45 minutes so far, and I must say it's very entertaining. :lol: Some great rants in there.

simplyared

The meeting after the video was shown: Keano says it was no big deal. Neville says it was horrific. Think I'll go with Gary and wish I could have been a fly on the wall.

izec

The meeting after the video was shown: Keano says it was no big deal. Neville says it was horrific. Think I'll go with Gary and wish I could have been a fly on the wall.
Matter of perspective, Keane moved on pretty quickly form things in his playing days. Got punched, business as usual, these things happen, lets move on.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
My god, how many threads do we need on this? :lol:
Is there one that isn't specifically about Roy Keane that I missed?

I thought we were encouraged to make new threads on new topics, rather than using old ones.

Is there one that isn't specifically about Roy Keane that I missed?

I thought we were encouraged to make new threads on new topics, rather than using old ones.
Yeah he has about 2 active threads at the moment, very popular our Roy :drool:

AndersB

Matter of perspective, Keane moved on pretty quickly form things in his playing days. Got punched, business as usual, these things happen, lets move on.
Yup, hence the Håland-incident

Based Adnan

Tbf Neville described the things that were said, specifically to Queiroz and Fergie, and the meeting in general as horrific. Not the actual video by Keane.

Leanshig

TBH, I doubt Keane's CV would be much to talk about if not for Fergie.
Absolute nonsense, pure bitterness seeping through here. Keane drew massive attention playing for Forest, was a Premier League record transfer at the time and pretty much dragged Ireland single handily to a world cup out of a group with Holland and Portugal in it.

Giuliano Maiorana

Awful his throwaway comment about John Walters.

Went down a notch for me as a human with that :nono:

Keefy18

Nonsense. Keane would always have been a great player.
Where did I say he wouldn't be a great player?

I simply said he wouldn't of won as much as he did thanks to Fergie.

Absolute nonsense, pure bitterness seeping through here. Keane drew massive attention playing for Forest, was a Premier League record transfer at the time and pretty much dragged Ireland single handily to a world cup out of a group with Holland and Portugal in it.
He wouldn't of won as much and you can pretty much take that as a fact considering Fergie won titles pre & post Keane.

If Fergie didn't step in and snap him up from Rovers in the summer of 93, Keane would of went to Rovers or stayed at Forest. Rovers won a title 2 years later, but then fell apart in the next year and went to mid table.

Would another team of signed him? Possibly, but Fergie was still winning leagues regardless.

Bayern were sniffing around and wanted to sign him in the summer of 99, post Treble success. So basically off the back of his time at United.

I'm really not sure who would of signed him and given him the same level of success Ferguson did.

clarkydaz

The part about being given a measly fine after the meeting bust up is interesting, ive never heard those details before. I thought it was a case he was kicked out immediately, but Keane refusing to pay the fine is another defiance to the manager. Can understand his reasons for the grudge from this interview

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
When Keane refers to the guy who scored “the goal against Holland” who was he talking about?

Giuliano Maiorana

Which one was that?
He's crying on the TV about his family situation. Maybe he should lie low for a while. Have a look at his medals? That wouldn't take long."

Sick man

I think his sister had died then his wife had miscarriage and he broke down on tv. This is what Keane refers to!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy_Bond

He's crying on the TV about his family situation. Maybe he should lie low for a while. Have a look at his medals? That wouldn't take long."

Sick man

I think his sister had died then his wife had miscarriage and he broke down on tv. This is what Keane refers to!
Oof.

That doesn't sound good. Must admit I didn't pick up on that, nor did I know the back story.

Frank Grimes

It's in Keane's second book. Basically Keane questioned Fergie over the horse dispute with Magnier and McManus.

He also got stuck into Queiroz complaining about his tactics asking if he had sex with his wife in the 1 position.

Keane's a header.

Withnail

It's the meeting I'm refering to.
Neville agreed that it wasn't anything that hadn't been said before or wouldn't have been tolerated when he was 27/28.

When he said it was horrific, it was from the perspective of knowing there was no coming back for Keane with Fergie. Something Roy didn't realise at the time, but Gary and the other senior players did.

Last edited:

Withnail

Over an hour of two United legends talking candidly (perhaps excessively so at times) about various topics. Thought this might be interesting to some of you, give it a go.

Parts of it were already discussed here:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/is-roy-keane-dead-to-you.450405/

I thought the whole thing deserves its own thread.

Among the best bits are Gary speaking very honestly about his time at Valencia and Roy going on a fabulously bitter rant about Jon Walters.

Neville's got a bit of stick on Twitter for doubling down on pushing to ask his question, when the interviewer wanted to explore a point further with Keane about the interview.

I thought he came across as a bit arrogant myself.

Patience

Just like Fergie most likely wouldnt have won as much without Keane

What? :lol:

After Fergie got rid of Keane, United went on their most successful run in their 135-year history.

When Keane was shunted out in 2005 - between then and the end of Fergie's reign in 2013; we won five league titles and got to three Champions League finals..

We had only won one league title in the past five years before that with Keane as captain.

Fergie would have been a mammoth success with or without Keane - and this is fact because it is proven.

Stadjer

After Fergie got rid of Keane, United went on their most successful run in their 135-year history.

When Keane was shunted out in 2005 - between then and the end of Fergie's reign in 2013; we won five league titles and got to three Champions League finals..

We had only won one league title in the past five years before that with Keane as captain.

Fergie would have been a mammoth success with or without Keane - and this is fact because it is proven.
What about all those titles Keane won while at Manchester United? Was he not a major part of those successes and can you really claim that those titles would have been won without Keane but with another player? What if Keane joined Arsenal or Liverpool... Arsenal or Liverpool might have won a title during that period.

Who knows.. a prime Roy Keane during the most succesfull period and it might have been even more succesfull. Also the 98/99 is the most succesfull season ever, Roy Keane was captain that season and played 55 games with only Schmeichel playing one game more. Looks like he was pretty important to Fergie his succes that season.

Roy Keane owes Fergie a lot when it comes to the titles he won but on the opposite side Fergie also was a very lucky man to have Roy Keane in his team. You make it sound like Roy Keane was just some squad member lucky to be at the right team at right time...

Champagne Football

That was down to a tactical shift. The same way a bang average manager like Benitez could win a champions league with Liverpool where as other managers like Hodgson/Dalglish couldn't win a game in Europe with the same players.

Utd would have won more CL's with the Beckham, Scholes, Keane, Giggs midfield if there was a better understanding of how to dominate teams in Europe back then, playing Rooney/Yorke/Cole/Ruud upfront alone instead of 2 strikers, and throwing in an extra world class bulldog central midfielder such as a Viera/Robson in his prime/Essien etc while switching to a 433 or 4231

Last edited:

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Really interesting and funny 2 hours. Especially Keane's stories on Walters, Ireland and Matty Taylor :lol: