Gary Neville - Pundit

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

According to neville even keane and scholes never dominated the midfield in a game ever at anfield and no fergie team has ever dominated the play at anfield ever.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

According to neville even keane and scholes never dominated the midfield in a game ever at anfield and no fergie team has ever dominated the play at anfield ever.
he's not wrong

Only time we've gone to Anfield in the last 20 years I can remember and dominated was under LVG and the Mata game

Kag

His analysis was spot on, irrespective of what you think of him. He knows where this team currently stands and was quite right in identifying the obvious gap on the right wing, as well as the need to defend more aggressively and move up the pitch over time - a better midfielder than McTominay will help here, too. Gary seems quietly confident actually.

That Van Gaal match is the only one I can remember in which we dominated a game at Anfield. He mentioned that, too.

Djemba-Djemba

He's right.

The Mata game is the only time we've ever gone there and outplayed them from start to finish in my lifetime. Our wins there under Fergie were ground out like in 2007 when Tevez scored the winner, the result of David James or Dudek throwing it in their own net or fluke wins after awful performances like the O'Shea winner or the last win there under Van Gaal.

We're almost always rubbish at Anfield and to be fair they're almost always rubbish at Old Trafford.

United58

he's not wrong

Only time we've gone to Anfield in the last 20 years I can remember and dominated was under LVG and the Mata game
Ah, I remember the glory days of being shit against shit teams but dominating against those around us :drool: I fecking hated those days :lol:

He’s spot on. Anfield is never a walk in the park. Even when the likes of Shelvey, Babel and Kuyt were running rings around us.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Even the 'Mata game' was against 10 men for 45 minutes. We had 6 shots.

lost7

Carragher seems frustated (just like Klopp and Henderson were after the game) that we didn't go gung ho in the second half in an attempt to win the game, which would have left us exposed and given them the chance to win it. Well, you know what? They're the ones who should have tried everything to win the game, not us. They were playing at home, they're behind us in the league and most importantly they had 9 days of rest and had all the time in the world to prepare this game.

If you listened to their fans before the match, they were gonna "smash" us. Suddenly now, though, it's a lost chance for us? Clowns

charlenefan

Even the 'Mata game' was against 10 men for 45 minutes. We had 6 shots.
True and it ended nervy when they got a goal back but we absolutely played them off the pitch In the first half

Like I said wins at Anfield are rare so when they do come around you remember them.

Mainoldo

He isnt wrong?
They’ve always been tense games so it’s hard to ‘dominate’ per say. However there’s a difference between that and just utter boring. We’ve won there under pressure with it not being boring games. Cole scoring two and Pallister scoring two come to mind.

SirScholes

They’ve always been tense games so it’s hard to ‘dominate’ per say. However there’s a difference between that and just utter boring. We’ve won there under pressure with it not being boring games. Cole scoring two and Pallister scoring two come to mind.
You mean when we scored off 2 corners and 3 David James howlers?
i didnt think we were boring yesterday at all, I felt like we could score at any moment

croadyman

He's right.

The Mata game is the only time we've ever gone there and outplayed them from start to finish in my lifetime. Our wins there under Fergie were ground out like in 2007 when Tevez scored the winner, the result of David James or Dudek throwing it in their own net or fluke wins after awful performances like the O'Shea winner or the last win there under Van Gaal.

We're almost always rubbish at Anfield and to be fair they're almost always rubbish at Old Trafford.
Absolutely spot on and after having a day of feeling frustration we didn't do more yesterday I really needed to hear how few times we have played well at Anfield in the Premier League era, also for all those pundits waxing lyrical over City lets just see if they feel the effects of no win there in 18 years as well when it comes around in early Feb.

1nil

Why did Carragher mention the small club thing? Did Gary bring it up? :rolleyes: Bet he has a Klopp figurine he worships at home. That was pure frustration

Thanks Gary for being so humble even though you won way more than him. I loved the fact that he pointed out we couldn’t dominate them even when they had rubbish defenders:D

charlenefan

Carragher was and does nothing but bait Neville into creating headlines, not sure if it was captured in that clip but he was clearly trying to get Neville to publicly blame Ole for our defence not playing as high as other top teams do

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
I'm not sure how the narrative has become United didn't attack enough.

Why isn't it the "best team ever" making De Gea make one save at home where they need 3 points to get back top spot?

Suddenly a United team no one thinks is any good should be going for it. Laughable.

We played the game just right, but our attack had a poor game bar Pogba. Fine margins.

charlenefan

I'm not sure how the narrative has become United didn't attack enough.

Why isn't it the "best team ever" making De Gea make one save at home where they need 3 points to get back top spot?

Suddenly a United team no one thinks is any good should be going for it. Laughable.

We played the game just right, but our attack had a poor game bar Pogba. Fine margins.
Because even in a game against Liverpool it's us who the spotlight is on, we're still and always will be the bigger of the two clubs and the one people want to scrutinise the most

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Because even in a game against Liverpool it's us who the spotlight is on, we're still and always will be the bigger of the two clubs and the one people want to scrutinise the most
Yep. That's the real answer nobody will admit.

Loon

:lol:
He was bang on when he said the historical nature of the fixture and their current status played in our heads. It was apparently the only fixture Ferguson used to get worked up about.

Ludens the Red

His analysis was spot on, irrespective of what you think of him. He knows where this team currently stands and was quite right in identifying the obvious gap on the right wing, as well as the need to defend more aggressively and move up the pitch over time - a better midfielder than McTominay will help here, too. Gary seems quietly confident actually.

That Van Gaal match is the only one I can remember in which we dominated a game at Anfield. He mentioned that, too.
Yeah, it was brilliant. Especially because it’s things a lot of us have been saying.
the d line stuff is the biggest thing and when they showed the clips of city and Liverpool doing it, showed how far behind we still are.
It also made me think it might not be so much a case of pacey centre halves but more so trusting them to be able to defend a turnover and handle one on ones. I think Maguire and Lindelof don’t have the trust of Ole to be able to do that and that’s understandable because both of them aren’t very good at defending one on one quick turnovers. Lindelof isn’t aggressive enough and Maguire has poor agility. On top of that neither are particularly quick.

It’s a problem and a massive one at that.

always_hoping

I attended a good number of Liverpool v United games in Anfield when Ferguson was manager, most was cagey games and nearly all Liverpool played the occasion like it was their cup finals.

Barthez,Van der sar,Schmeichel had busy games compared to DeGea yesterday who was underworked.

United58

I attended a good number of Liverpool v United games in Anfield when Ferguson was manager, most was cagey games and nearly all Liverpool played the occasion like it was their cup finals.

Barthez,Van der sar,Schmeichel had busy games compared to DeGea yesterday who was underworked.
That's a credit to our defence IMO; Liverpool dominated possession but couldn't fashion many clear chances

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No fans in Anfield but why they have been unbeaten for the last 8 months in Anfield? I think yesterday could have been one of our best chance to win in Anfield but it doesn't mean we need to dominate to win it or even capable to dominate because in order to dominate you need better midfield. Wijnaldum & Thiago are just better midfield than Fred & McTominay on possession.

And Garry wasn't totally wrong. Lot of times I have seen us unable to control the midfield against Liverpool in Anfield, whether it was during Keane & Scholes era or Carrick & Scholes era. Even I remember when we beat them 1-0 with O'Shea goal with Carrick & Scholes in midfield, Liverpool fully dominated us before Scholes red card.

Leg-End

His breathing is so loud too, take the mic away from your face when you aren’t speaking Gaz.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Overly negative as usual. We have been the better team yet you wouldn’t know it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I try not to get too fussed about his efforts to be impartial but his desperation to pretend Arsenal are playing better than us this evening is bonkers. 63% possession. 6 corners to 1. There’s definitely a dominant team out there. It isn’t Arsenal.
Was thinking the same, but didn’t want to be the one to always say it.

Apparently Pogba hasn’t been in the game either, despite him probably being the best player on show.

NinjaFletch

I don't know if it's him or the other commentator but one of them has a blocked nose and you can hear them breathing though it throughout the game

Irwin99

Arsenal have been absolute garbage. I don't know how he can think they're doing well. We haven't exactly been superb but we're miles better in that first half.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Was thinking the same, but didn’t want to be the one to always say it.

Apparently Pogba hasn’t been in the game either, despite him probably being the best player on show.
Agreed, he’s blinded by his own pre conceptions at this stage.