Gary Neville - Pundit

Coops73

I like Neville, he’s intelligent and very knowledgeable and clearly a massive United fan but last night his desperation to come across as impartial annoyed me, I thought it clouded his normal excellent commentary.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Didn't know that he's a stubborn man. Wouldn't change his opinion even when shown undeniable fact multiple times. Damn.

No wonder he failed as manager.

SirScholes

He kept repeating that Shaw hadn't made contact with the ball - he had - and that he'd raised his foot unnaturally - he hadn't. So no, he wasn't even close to being right.
But the the follow through which is what I was responding to?

SirScholes

He was saying that at the start of the 2nd half when we were 0-0 and playing krap
One thing Gary hasn't got is a Crystal Ball, so at that time in the game, for him to say that OGS was happy with the state of play he must be a muppet, we needed a win and eventually got it...just
You need to say that at the start of your post because I also don’t have a crystal ball
I think you’re getting a bit carried away here haha
He’s a Man Utd fan so of course he knew what was at stake

SirScholes

I think thats the issue, hes trying to be non biased rather than being non biased.
I get it, he wants to be professional but it clouds his judgment and comments.
Its not just him, ive seen (heard) Carragher do this at times with Liverpool games (its funny as a non fan of the team, but its bizarre if youre watching an incident and numerous replays and hes just making a point to show 'look how balanced I am' but is completely missing the obvious and not being called out by his co-commentator.

I think Neville is great as a pundit, hes funny on twitter, but thats probably because he allows himself time to compose himself.
That tweet with him humming 'gary neville is a red' is quality stuff.

On commentary its the complete opposite and a bit OTT. Im guessing non United fan probably like it.

Saying that, with Tyler hes not good. He commentates better with one of the other Sky commentators (cant remember his name)
The only thing he actually said which was wrong was that shaw touched the ball and he didn’t see if first time, that’s it
That’s it and people are going off on one like he’s some super anti United Man City fan

tayside red

You need to say that at the start of your post because I also don’t have a crystal ball
I think you’re getting a bit carried away here haha
He’s a Man Utd fan so of course he knew what was at stake
If you were watching and listening to the game you would have picked up on the comments he was making, pay more attention at the back of the class :keano:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Unfortunately he kept repeating that Shaw hadn't made contact with the ball, which Shaw did, and that he'd raised his foot which he hadn't.
We all saw this clearly with Var.

redmanx

I like Neville, he’s intelligent and very knowledgeable and clearly a massive United fan but last night his desperation to come across as impartial annoyed me, I thought it clouded his normal excellent commentary.
Neville is nowhere near as bad as Carragher re partisa and his feeble attempts
Sadly I think you need to catch up to the 21st century buddy, it’s definitely a yellow, would of been furious if it was a red but seen them given
In Nevilles day this tackle wouldn't have got a mention, but with VAR and all the rules regarding tackling, dont do this, cant do that, football is a vastly different game where zero physical contact appears to be the aim. I think Neville is just trying to see things as they are today knowing that the new rules are utterly at odds with the nature of a contact sport and that time and time again, between the referee and VAR, decisions are made which are often contrary to similar incidents in other matches. Its a mess.

SirScholes

Unfortunately he kept repeating that Shaw hadn't made contact with the ball, which Shaw did, and that he'd raised his foot which he hadn't.
Think he mentioned it a couple times but to be fair pretty much every match is littered with commentary errors from every commentator
We don’t know if he was watching the screen or events unfold in real time.
I think people are getting a bit carried away, we all saw how delighted he was that we won

Bobade

Think he mentioned it a couple times but to be fair pretty much every match is littered with commentary errors from every commentator
I think people are getting a bit carried away, we all saw how delighted he was that we won
A couple of times ? He said it over and over again as the footage was repeatedly played.

VivaRonaldo85

He apologised on social media after the game for how poor his commentary was last night. I think he got caught up in the emotion of United going top and then remembered he was live and had to have that impartial hat on too, and it ended up being a mess of hasty rash comments against United players every time there was an incident of note. He did also keep saying that Shaw could be “in trouble” over and over again which wasn’t helpful.

El Zoido

He’s never been a good colour commentator, his strength is in the studio when he can methodically analyse the game. This has been the case ever since he joined Sky.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
More like 10

Sylar

The only thing he actually said which was wrong was that shaw touched the ball and he didn’t see if first time, that’s it
That’s it and people are going off on one like he’s some super anti United Man City fan
Thats fine and thats the one footage I saw. I could change streams at half time and had the US one which was more balanced and more exciting.

However overall, (and not just yesterday) it happens a lot. Its not a conspiracy or anything, its just the way it is. Im sure neville loves United and wants them to win title after title, but during commentary he tries his hardest to not go one way, that he goes the opposite.

I think he even acknowledged it himself with his tweet which says a lot.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The fact he described Brady’s challenge as “yellow at best” and didn’t seem to take any issue with Maguires disallowed goal. It says it all really.
The tackle was a yellow at best. It was the denial of a goal scoring opportunity that could have made it red.

VAR got this incident spot on last night in my view. We’d have been rightly seething if it was the other way round and one of our guys was sent off, when we were fouled in the build up.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Oh, i agree with you that Gary was so delighted but unfortunately he's in a difficult position as he has to 'look' impartial and sometimes goes the opposite way.
The Liverpool pundits, on the other hand, try their best todenigrate us and elevate their team to the heavens above!

thepolice123

The way he kept repeating that Shaw did not get the ball was very annoying. And he did it while it got replayed a million times. Shaw clearly got poke on the ball before it hit the player's leg. I think he probably deserves a yellow card for the follow through but a red is extremely harsh.

adnando

The tackle was a yellow at best. It was the denial of a goal scoring opportunity that could have made it red.

VAR got this incident spot on last night in my view. We’d have been rightly seething if it was the other way round and one of our guys was sent off, when we were fouled in the build up.
That is absolutely spot on, we would be raging if one of ours was sent off in a similar manner.

When looking at the challenge I thought it was a red for Brady, but after VAR looked up Shaw's tackle I knew there was no chance of a red, for Brady, as they should clearly have a freekick in the other end. Personally, I think the ref team got that situation dead on, how they had already started playing before the replay of Maguire's goal was finished is another subject...

As for Neville he clearly is a red, even humming his song after the match with a caption of "See ya Sunday".

Jonno

I'm a big Neville fan. I love what he's done for the club, I like his punditry, I love the stuff he's done with Salford.

So I don't mind he adopts this none-bias approach, I dont generally mind as his punditry is amongst the best.

However.....

The commentary on Shaw was completely wrong and borderline obsessive. Continuously repeating that Shaw has NOT got the ball, when he's clearly GOT the ball in a 50/50 was shambolic. Why he kept saying "Shaw's missed the ball and got the man" when he as clear as day got the ball and a bit of the man afterwards was beyond me.

I do agree though, that you're not allowed to have a rash follow-through, and he did catch the player, so yellow was fair if not quite lenient. I hate the rule though, playing none-league football for 15 years now we call that a good tackle, and it used to be in the PL. So Neville was right on the rashness and on the potential red.

Jonno

Agree 100%.

It think it was the fact Neville repeatedly said "Shaw has missed the ball, Shaw hasn't got the ball", when he as clear as day had got the ball, was quite irritating.

VAR was utilised perfectly in this incident.

Maguires header however...

MrBest

So true, and as the angle kept being repeated, he still kept saying he didn't touch the ball. Awful performance from Gary yesterday.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
But the the follow through which is what I was responding to?
Follow through? Shaw didn't fly in, or slide with both feet raised. He just nipped in ahead of the attacker in a 50/50 that both players had a right to go for and won the ball. The ref bottled it because he knew he was choosing between a yellow for Shaw or a red at the other end. So, he made the less controversial, incorrect call instead.

Dante

Average bang
Follow through? Shaw didn't fly in, or slide with both feet raised. He just nipped in ahead of the attacker in a 50/50 that both players had a right to go for and won the ball. The ref bottled it because he knew he was choosing between a yellow for Shaw or a red at the other end. So, he made the less controversial, incorrect call instead.

Shaw's studs went into the player's ankle.

And while I think Shaw probably got a touch on the ball, I wouldn't bet my mortgage that it wasn't a touch from the Burnley player's left boot instead.

If a player tackled Bruno, knicked the ball but studs followed through on to Bruno's ankle we'd all want a free kick.

Just let it go. We won the game, so that decision became irrelevant.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

And while I think Shaw probably got a touch on the ball, I wouldn't bet my mortgage that it wasn't a touch from the Burnley player's left boot instead.
He clearly got the ball but the follow through was dangerous

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Exactly.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
If a player tackled Bruno, knicked the ball but studs followed through on to Bruno's ankle we'd all want a free kick.

I agree too with this but we have to keep in mind that it denied (in a way) the red card at the other end and also we got a goal disallowed for Harry's header.
Refs have been influenced by Klopp's comments in many ways.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello

We won the game, so let's not talk about anything that happened. Ok.

If you don't want to talk about this incident, just feck off and find a thread that interests you rather than telling other people what to discuss.

We won the game, so let's not talk about anything that happened. Ok.

If you don't want to talk about this incident, just feck off and find a thread that interests you rather than telling other people what to discuss.
Haha

So you wouldn't want a free kick if the same tackle was made on one of our lads?

tayside red

IMO Shaw didn't get any of the ball, the ball hit the Burnley players left leg, bounced over to his right and bounced away from both of them
Luke's tackle was mistimed, which made it look clumsy, the way the Burnley player planted his right leg made Shaw's left leg momentum look as though it ran down his ankle, he got booked, we move on to bigger and better games

Red00012

It’s probably best if he doesn’t co commentate for Utd games . He’s trying to sound neutral but then calls decisions incorrectly because of it.

Oldtraffordboy

He needs to stop commentating on United games.

He's clearly getting giddy with tension/excitement because we're doing well, and it's really coming across in what he says during the game.

If I find it annoying as a United fan, it must be hell for fans of other teams.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Christ you guys have some serious issues when he comes to Neville :lol:

During commentary his job is to remain neutral and call it like he sees it, it's not anti Man Utd

You only have to see him once he's removed from the commentary role and asked to act as a pundit you can see how much bias he has in favour of the club. He even put Pogba as his player to watch in 2021 :lol:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Agree 100%.

It think it was the fact Neville repeatedly said "Shaw has missed the ball, Shaw hasn't got the ball", when he as clear as day had got the ball, was quite irritating.

VAR was utilised perfectly in this incident.

Maguires header however...
The thing is that VAR wasn't culpable for Maguire's header. The referee gave the foul in real-time, I think, and once he had done so, I couldn't see how he would overrule himself with the help of any video evidence. He saw everything clearly, and was probably one of the very few people who thought a foul was committed.

Last night was a great example of the fact that VAR can help you reach the correct decision a greater proportion of the time, but ultimately human error, or a minority opinion/interpretation, and not the use of technology, is still a bigger barrier to getting the consensus right decision every time.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Christ you guys have some serious issues when he comes to Neville :lol:

During commentary his job is to remain neutral and call it like he sees it, it's not anti Man Utd

You only have to see him once he's removed from the commentary role and asked to act as a pundit you can see how much bias he has in favour of the club. He even put Pogba as his player to watch in 2021 :lol:
People seem to have pretty serious issues with pundits and commentators in general. It’s fairly nuts. Then on the other hand they are posting how pathetic all our players are.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
People seem to have pretty serious issues with pundits and commentators in general. It’s fairly nuts. Then on the other hand they are posting how pathetic all our players are.
That was going to be my next point, you only have to check the match day thread during the game to see Neville's comments are a drop in the ocean compared to the shite that's posted in there