Gary Neville - Pundit

arnie_ni

Shaw's studs went into the player's ankle.

And while I think Shaw probably got a touch on the ball, I wouldn't bet my mortgage that it wasn't a touch from the Burnley player's left boot instead.
The more I see it the more I think he's lucky he didn't get red when the ref went over

arnie_ni

The thing is that VAR wasn't culpable for Maguire's header. The referee gave the foul in real-time, I think, and once he had done so, I couldn't see how he would overrule himself with the help of any video evidence. He saw everything clearly, and was probably one of the very few people who thought a foul was committed.

Last night was a great example of the fact that VAR can help you reach the correct decision a greater proportion of the time, but ultimately human error, or a minority opinion/interpretation, and not the use of technology, is still a bigger barrier to getting the consensus right decision every time.
If he gave a goal var wouldn't overule, but because he gave the fk var wouldn't over rule that either.

arthurka

He clearly got the ball but the follow through was dangerous
The follow through is a totally normal movement of the leg after it made contact with the ball. The ref didn't want to send the player off so this was a way to get the easy way out. But the Maguire goal was a absolute madness from the ref.

Neville was gitty as feck after the match in a interview. He was clearly looking forward to Sunday.

SirScholes

You're absolutely ridiculous aren't you. You can't pick and choose and just absorb that information.

He said Shaw missed the ball many many many times, not once or twice. And my entire point is that he helped build the narrative. Shouting something a dozen times from the rooftops and then whispering "actually, I was wrong" doesn't undo the damage.

If he had only said it once or twice, then corrected himself, that would be absolutely fine. But he didn't. So you're wrong.

The fact that he has actually apologised for it should be enough to show that even he knows he was terrible.
I watched 4 minutes of the var from different highlights and he said it once on one of the first viewings so you’re saying he then said it 11 more times (dozen) in the 2:00 minutes I’m missing, which seems highly unlikely.
Nor did he whisper, he said it quite clearly, I didnt need my volume cranked up to hear it. All seems a bit crazy that people are losing their shit over Neville not seeing the touch on the ball and then calling it when he did

If you want to talk about building a narrative you might want to start at your posts first

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Neville said that he didn't touch the ball and it was a red card for Shaw over and over again when Shaw clearly touched the ball that is why people are moaning in the Neville was a red thread.
He also said that Maguire handled the ball and could have given away a pen.
He didn't though... He said Shaw might have been sent off. He never definitively said it was a red.

He also said Maguire might have handled it (because at first looked like he might have) and then went on to say it looks like he didn't...

arnie_ni

If that's a red then the game is finished as a sport.
Didn't pogba get sent of for similar against arsenal a couple of years ago?

I just wouldn't have been surprised if the var ref deemed that follow through dangerous. Wouldnt have been in 100 percent agreement but not surprised

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I watched 4 minutes of the var from different highlights and he said it once on one of the first viewings so you’re saying he then said it 11 more times (dozen) in the 2:00 minutes I’m missing, which seems highly unlikely.
Nor did he whisper, he said it quite clearly, I didnt need my volume cranked up to hear it. All seems a bit crazy that people are losing their shit over Neville not seeing the touch on the ball and then calling it when he did

If you want to talk about building a narrative you might want to start at your posts first
Highlights.

He definitely didn't say it once or twice like you said. I haven't counted it but he definitely said it more than that. The thing is you just won't accept what actually happened ie. that Neville said Shaw missed the ball many times, so you can't even continue a discussion at that point. All because you watched highlights, not even the actual match.

Because there's a huge difference between saying something once and the opposite many times.

Even your comment about narratives completely misses the point. Neville is talking on a national level, with a significant influence. I'm posting on a forum where I'm entirely forgettable.

And I'm not "losing my shit". This is a thread about Neville's apparent bias again United (which I just think is an exaggerated effort to appear impartial), so I'm going to talk about Neville in this thread.

Fully Fledged

He didn't though... He said Shaw might have been sent off. He never definitively said it was a red.

He also said Maguire might have handled it (because at first looked like he might have) and then went on to say it looks like he didn't...
How many times did he say he didn't touch the ball when he clearly did? It was over and over again every time they showed the incident and it was clear that as day that the ball had been touched.

Fully Fledged

Highlights.

He definitely didn't say it once or twice like you said. I haven't counted it but he definitely said it more than that. The thing is you just won't accept what actually happened ie. that Neville said Shaw missed the ball many times, so you can't even continue a discussion at that point. All because you watched highlights, not even the actual match.

Because there's a huge difference between saying something once and the opposite many times.

Even your comment about narratives completely misses the point. Neville is talking on a national level, with a significant influence. I'm posting on a forum where I'm entirely forgettable.

And I'm not "losing my shit". This is a thread about Neville's apparent bias again United (which I just think is an exaggerated effort to appear impartial), so I'm going to talk about Neville in this thread.
Correct by the time it was over I was shouting at the tv as he was so biased against us so as to appear nonbiased for us.

Fully Fledged

Didn't pogba get sent of for similar against arsenal a couple of years ago?

I just wouldn't have been surprised if the var ref deemed that follow through dangerous. Wouldnt have been in 100 percent agreement but not surprised
No he stamped on a players leg while he was on the floor. I totally agree that that one was a red.

patty123

Well fair play to him for acknowledging it. No-ones accusing him of being Clive Tydlesley bias or even Paddy Crerand bias towards Utd on commentary, so he shouldn’t feel he has to unfairly beat Utd to appease the neutrals.
What, his poxy man city like money team didnt bleeding score till at least 8.47pm, he was slating and demanding red for shaw 25/30 mins before hand, he was called out and all the clown is doing is trying to limited the flak he was taken for it with that tweet.

Fully Fledged

A quote posted by MEN https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-luke-shaw-var-19613858
"I think he’s lucky because his left leg seems to follow-through, but it looked like a genuine attempt at the time. When you look at it again, it’s the best he could’ve hoped for out of that.”
I've gone and looked at the quotes posted online and found what I was looking for on MEN. He says that he is lucky not to be shown a red card. That is not might have got a red talk but should have got a red card talk.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I think it’s more baffling that he is quite clearly buzzing about us going top of the league but because he was wrong about 1 thing, and 1 thing only, people are calling him an anti Utd fan and that he’s the worst commentator to exist ever in any sport that there’s ever been.

As it happens i think all co commentators are awful, and often try and be controversial to appear relevant, he is actually one of the best of a bad bunch.
You're all a bit sensitive in here, aren't you? Here he is, walking out of yesterday's match humming "Gary Neville is a red".

If you've got any doubt where his allegiance lies, it's on you.
I’m with you both, some of the posts in here are beyond stupid.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
A quote posted by MEN https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-luke-shaw-var-19613858

I've gone and looked at the quotes posted online and found what I was looking for on MEN. He says that he is lucky not to be shown a red card. That is not might have got a red talk but should have got a red card talk.
It's not though... I personally don't think it was a red card but I do think, in today's VAR climate he can count himself a little lucky he didn't get a red card. If the ref had pulled out a red after watching it in slow motion over and over again I would have been annoyed but I wouldn't have been shocked.

SirScholes

Highlights.

haha what influence! You baffled me with “damage was done” earlier, what damage! No one else will of cared apart from a handful of fragile caf members getting all up in arms because Gary dare see something incorrectly...which very much more importantly he goes on to correct, absolutely no damage was done, it’s not like the ref was listening in to him.

Let’s meet in the middle with 4 which seems possible, my mate says he watched and it’s mentioned 3 times in one viewing of the highlight. So on his first glance he makes a wrong call and then at the end says shaw got a toe to the ball, would you like him to mention that he won the ball an equal amount of times to make it ok? And on top of all this, like you also mentioned, he apologised for poor commentary so what more could he of done haha

Bubz27

haha what influence! You baffled me with “damage was done” earlier, what damage! No one else will of cared apart from a handful of fragile caf members getting all up in arms because Gary dare see something incorrectly...which very much more importantly he goes on to correct, absolutely no damage was done, it’s not like the ref was listening in to him.

Let’s meet in the middle with 4 which seems possible, my mate says he watched and it’s mentioned 3 times in one viewing of the highlight. So on his first glance he makes a wrong call and then at the end says shaw got a toe to the ball, would you like him to mention that he won the ball an equal amount of times to make it ok? And on top of all this, like you also mentioned, he apologised for poor commentary so what more could he of done haha
Honestly don't worry about it. Let's leave it there.

Fully Fledged

I actually think a red for that would have been a shocking decision. If he had missed the ball like Neville kept saying then yeah maybe he could have been sent off but with touching the ball and the minimal contact it was never a red for me.

SirScholes

I get emotional watching my team play sue me.
I don't dislike GNev he was actually one of my favourite players it just winds me up when he comes out with something like this and he does it all too often.
There isn’t a commentator out there that doesn’t get the odd thing wrong, I was too busy watching events to care what Gary said, most the time I enjoy his commentary as he gives a good insight in to what might be going through a players mind

But this idea he is anti United in commentary is absurd, he calls things in real time, he’ll not stop to think “ooo this is a good chance to show I’m non biased” , I don’t understand why he would have to, he’s got the job and he isn’t going anywhere so I very much doubt he has any agenda
If anything he is very pro United in his post match

arnie_ni

Agree with this Annihilate. Another ref could easily have gave a red
It's not though... I personally don't think it was a red card but I do think, in today's VAR climate he can count himself a little lucky he didn't get a red card. If the ref had pulled out a red after watching it in slow motion over and over again I would have been annoyed but I wouldn't have been shocked.

Red00012

You're all a bit sensitive in here, aren't you? Here he is, walking out of yesterday's match humming "Gary Neville is a red".

If you've got any doubt where his allegiance lies, it's on you.
I’ve no problem with him pal

cyberman

He said both managers would be really happy with the outcome because they both could have lost a man. A lot of people only think it might have been a red because Gary said so. Its a bit of a chicken and the egg situatuon.
He was shitting himself all game, constantly expecting the worst for us as a nervous fan

Last edited:

Hughie77

Highlights.

Neville did say he doesn't touch the ball a few times because I was bloody shouting at the tv he did get a touch it was shown a lot of times and your right GN did say it more than twice if not 3 or 4. But VAR in my opinion got it right, follow through nowadays it's a foul. Never mind 3pts

Neville did say he doesn't touch the ball a few times because I was bloody shouting at the tv he did get a touch it was shown a lot of times and your right GN did say it more than twice if not 3 or 4. But VAR in my opinion got it right, follow through nowadays it's a foul. Never mind 3pts
must have said it a dozen times. Like you, I was shouting at the TV.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I actually think a red for that would have been a shocking decision. If he had missed the ball like Neville kept saying then yeah maybe he could have been sent off but with touching the ball and the minimal contact it was never a red for me.
Touching the ball is largely irrelevant these days though... And we've seen reds for less.

He said both managers would be really happy with the outcome because they both could have lost a man. A lot of people only think it might have been a red because Gary said so. Its a bit of a chicken and the egg situatuon.
He was shitting himself all game, constantly expecting the worst for us as a nervous fan
You think? I dunno, I think people generally come to their own conclusion on these things... Plus with it being United I'd say people are more likely to think he should have been sent off regardless of what Neville says.

But then I generally don't think commentators have as huge an influence on people's opinions oh the game then others clearly do.

Bubz27

I fully agree it was the right conclusion. It's Neville we're talking about here.

And I think the fact he himself has apologised shows that people were right to be annoyed.

RedDevil@84

The more I see it the more I think he's lucky he didn't get red when the ref went over
The video doesn't show the part where the Burnley player rolls on the floor, in so much pain, clutching his left knee after Shaw went studs up well below the right knee

crossy1686

career ending
Those of you questioning Neville's commentary yesterday surrounding the red card are aware that Neville can hear the conversation between the ref and VAR right? And you did hear that in the studio afterwards they said that VAR decided IN THE END that the challenge didn't have enough force behind it to be deemed a red card challenge, but they were seriously debating whether or not to send Shaw off. That's all Neville could hear in his ear, while watching a reply on a tiny screen, in a gantry.

I can't even tell you how many things I've half seen something at a live match. Lockdown is really getting to some of you.

Fitchett

Richards has been a good pundit towards United recently. Quite surprising given his City connections.

AFC NimbleThumb

For all the nonsense he spouts I thought he made a good point yesterday that we were playing against this iteration of Pool reputation rather than the side during the second half yesterday.

We came out of the game having created the better chances by some distance but O think we could have got more with some composure in the final pass etc.