Gary Neville was dead to me | Reborn as a Dragon

Ludens the Red

It’s funny, he always goes on about how great the prem is and how good the top sides are and how quick they move the ball bla bla bla. I’ve watched Spurs and Chelsea today and they’re absolutely rubbish and have been for months. United aren’t much better either. Just yet another case where he pushes a narrative regardless of the evidence unfolding in front of him. This season looks another of one/two top teams being really good and the rest managing to somehow outshite each other.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I agree with what Neville was saying on his podcast about United last night. Some positive signs of tenacity and fight, but difficult to see how "they are back" as of yet: "United are better, but not back."

Talked about how our forward line is still not at the standard of our rivals, and how we've spent a lot of money again, but still it's hard to see the expected level of return for the size of the investment.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Finally watched the HIGNFY - thought he did an ok hosting job but very poor effort at defending himself from footballing ignoramus Hislop

I don't actually see why Neville is getting accusations of hypocrisy when he's been consistent on his views on Qatar for a long time

By actually going to Qatar and highlighting the issues he's done more for the relevant causes than those who sit at home virtue signalling

Anustart89

Finally watched the HIGNFY - thought he did an ok hosting job but very poor effort at defending himself from footballing ignoramus Hislop

I don't actually see why Neville is getting accusations of hypocrisy when he's been consistent on his views on Qatar for a long time

By actually going to Qatar and highlighting the issues he's done more for the relevant causes than those who sit at home virtue signalling
He’s not going there to highlight issues you numpty. He’s taking money from a TV corporation run by the Qatari state to commentate on the football. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and just say that thinking that he does it to highlight issues is very naive. The more likely explanation is that he is in fact a massive hypocrite.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
He’s not going there to highlight issues you numpty. He’s taking money from a TV corporation run by the Qatari state to commentate on the football. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and just say that thinking that he does it to highlight issues is very naive. The more likely explanation is that he is in fact a massive hypocrite.
He's already been there more than once to highlight the various issues in Qatar

Do some research next time before talking shite

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
If he wants to commentate at the WC whilst still be free to air his views on Qatar, then he should be working for the BBC or ITV. He will not be allowed to say whatever he likes working for a Qatar based broadcaster.

That stands to reason.
He's doing both - he will be working for both ITV and BeIn

It's unlikely he's going to be talking about anything apart from football on either anyway

What he then says on Twitter, external interviews etc remains to be seen

Last edited:

The Siege

This video was honestly just a platform he gave specifically chosen Qatari representatives the chance to defend themselves against everything they're accused of. And you could argue that is a chance they deserve and he's given them that and fair play, but it is in no way a highlighting of their issues. There is a very calculated limited depth of facts spoken about across this entire video.

He wants to sit on the fence and make his money. And unfortunately he can't say that out loud. So he's going to have to eat a bit of shit till about January, and then the world will forget all about it.

youmeletsfly

People expecting him to work for either TV party and grill Qatar for their issues are out of their fecking minds.

On a more serious note, he's a hypocrite, like 99% of today's people. I really don't know why fans debate him so much.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This video was honestly just a platform he gave specifically chosen Qatari representatives the chance to defend themselves against everything they're accused of. And you could argue that is a chance they deserve and he's given them that and fair play, but it is in no way a highlighting of their issues. There is a very calculated limited depth of facts spoken about across this entire video.

He wants to sit on the fence and make his money. And unfortunately he can't say that out loud. So he's going to have to eat a bit of shit till about January, and then the world will forget all about it.
Well the programme covers gay rights, migrant workers, alcohol etc so absolutely it is highlighting the issues but its Sky Sports Overlap, not BBC Panorama so really cant expect much more than this. Still I think in actually visiting the worker camps (pretty depressing so hardly showing Qatar in a great light) that he does a half decent job at least.

From what Ive seen he's been pretty consistent in his views on the World Cup in Qatar for years - he's tended to go down the 'WC can bring positive change' road rather than scream about corruption, death etc so I dont know what he's ever said that now has him accused of hyprocrisy

Anustart89

Okay he’s getting paid by Qatar so he can have a platform from which he can criticise Qatar. And I’m the one talking shite :rolleyes:

The Siege

Well the programme covers gay rights, migrant workers, alcohol etc so absolutely it is highlighting the issues but its Sky Sports Overlap, not BBC Panorama so really cant expect much more than this. Still I think in actually visiting the worker camps (pretty depressing so hardly showing Qatar in a great light) that he does a half decent job at least.

From what Ive seen he's been pretty consistent in his views on the World Cup in Qatar for years - he's tended to go down the 'WC can bring positive change' road rather than scream about corruption, death etc so I dont know what he's ever said that now has him accused of hyprocrisy
His hypocrisy lies in the sense that he never really questions everything that has gone wrong to make this World Cup happen, right from processes to award it to Qatar all the way down to the fact that you have to tell entire populations that 'hey, you can't be who you are, because human rights don't work that way here' and is that correct. He sort of just points out a couple of things others have said about Qatar, and says nothing of significance beyond that nor asks any uncomfortable questions, and it comes across as him having to shut up because he's effectively a paid PR agent for Qatar at this point, similar to Beckham. So when he bangs on about positive change, no one has a clue what he's talking about. It's not like Qatar's going to treat labour better, or treat LGBTQ+ people better, or make any significant cultural changes because there's a World Cup. So Gary Neville saying he 'talks about the challenges' isn't really a thing at all, and you're absolutely right that he's not going to talk about anything except the football when he's on broadcast, unless he has to do those tourism cuts in the break to say what a lovely place Qatar is to visit.

Sweet Square

Annoying YouTube voice aside this video does a good breakdown of why Gary Overlap Qatar was a lot of shite.

Spoony

The People's President

Yep. He's full of shit.

LouieVanGallsRedArmeh

There was a time I liked Gary, however I knew he wasn't as dull as he seemed on the pitch. And his after career TV job confirmed it, He is a business man after all, he owns hotel near old trafford along with scholes and his brother, and a few other properties in Manchester? This was told to me by an Old Trafford guide back in 2014.
What is he doing now, the promoting of Quatar 2022 is a classic example of how much he likes money. Unfortunately money changes character. I myself would have no reason to watch the world cup if Ronaldo wasn't playing in it. That is literally the only reason Iam going to watch the portugal matches.

Erics_Collar

There's every likelihood that after all this backlash, he will now be very vocally anti-Qatar in his first game commentating. The network will cancel his contract because there are almost certainly restrictions on what he's allowed mention, and he'll claim this was his intention all along, to make a high profile statement. Only we all know that wasn't his intention, he just wanted to take the money and get away with it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
His hypocrisy lies in the sense that he never really questions everything that has gone wrong to make this World Cup happen, right from processes to award it to Qatar all the way down to the fact that you have to tell entire populations that 'hey, you can't be who you are, because human rights don't work that way here' and is that correct. He sort of just points out a couple of things others have said about Qatar, and says nothing of significance beyond that nor asks any uncomfortable questions, and it comes across as him having to shut up because he's effectively a paid PR agent for Qatar at this point, similar to Beckham. So when he bangs on about positive change, no one has a clue what he's talking about. It's not like Qatar's going to treat labour better, or treat LGBTQ+ people better, or make any significant cultural changes because there's a World Cup. So Gary Neville saying he 'talks about the challenges' isn't really a thing at all, and you're absolutely right that he's not going to talk about anything except the football when he's on broadcast, unless he has to do those tourism cuts in the break to say what a lovely place Qatar is to visit.
Well that's because he has a different opinion on it to you and many others - if he had in the past denounced the Qatar WC, said it never should have happened etc and now all of a sudden changed his tune then I could understand claims of hypocrisy but he's never said anything of the sort and that goes back years

There are already examples of positive change that's happening in Qatar from improved workers rights to the first ever Qatari coming out as openly gay (all being discussed in more detail in the World Cup Forum already) so I disagree with you entirely

Gazza

Yep. He highlighted Qatar's grandiose hotel/shopping center complexes as much as he highlighted anything else.

The Siege

Well that's because he has a different opinion on it to you and many others - if he had in the past denounced the Qatar WC, said it never should have happened etc and now all of a sudden changed his tune then I could understand claims of hypocrisy but he's never said anything of the sort and that goes back years

There are already examples of positive change that's happening in Qatar from improved workers rights to the first ever Qatari coming out as openly gay (all being discussed in more detail in the World Cup Forum already) so I disagree with you entirely
I mean you can disagree with me all you want, but there are a depth of facts like a bunch of severely underpaid desperate migrant labour, whose basic liberties were taken (possession of passports and not being enabled to even afford a flight back home, so that they couldn't leave) were used to build the facilities that the world cup will be hosted in without even a guaranteed minimum wage, and we know this because it is honestly common knowledge in India. The labourer that Neville's talking to in that video is speaking in Hindi, and the labour mistreatment has honestly been a practice long before the world cup as well. Those aren't just opinions or inconsistent value systems separated by culture (for instance, alcohol surrounding behaviour totally is), Neville's not going to acknowledge the truly brutal details of the situation he's standing in, and nor will the Qatari citizen leaders he's talking to. It goes a lot beyond showing them living in a difficult dormitory structure that's just a minor discomfort relatively in their situation. And that's why the hypocrisy stabs are valid, because he's pretending Qatar are going to change things that they don't even admit are happening yet.

And also, I'm really glad that the changes that you've said are happening, and I'm sad that they weren't implemented while all the world cup facilities were being built. But humour the possibility that this is some return signalling to the world at a time when they're tremendously under scrutiny from the world. I stand completely in hope that you are right and I am wrong about this.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There was a time I liked Gary, however I knew he wasn't as dull as he seemed on the pitch. And his after career TV job confirmed it, He is a business man after all, he owns hotel near old trafford along with scholes and his brother, and a few other properties in Manchester? This was told to me by an Old Trafford guide back in 2014.
What is he doing now, the promoting of Quatar 2022 is a classic example of how much he likes money. Unfortunately money changes character. I myself would have no reason to watch the world cup if Ronaldo wasn't playing in it. That is literally the only reason Iam going to watch the portugal matches.
Oh so you liking Ronaldo puts all your big concerns with the whole thing to one side :lol:

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
People are obviously just catching up on his hypocrisy having missed his utterances about Bury and the ESL while helping pump millions into Salford.

redshaw

There's every likelihood that after all this backlash, he will now be very vocally anti-Qatar in his first game commentating. The network will cancel his contract because there are almost certainly restrictions on what he's allowed mention, and he'll claim this was his intention all along, to make a high profile statement. Only we all know that wasn't his intention, he just wanted to take the money and get away with it.
I'm expecting his stance to be it's actually quite nice here - future Dubai kind of thing and going over some things that need to be worked on.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I mean you can disagree with me all you want, but there are a depth of facts like a bunch of severely underpaid desperate migrant labour, whose basic liberties were taken (possession of passports and not being enabled to even afford a flight back home, so that they couldn't leave) were used to build the facilities that the world cup will be hosted in without even a guaranteed minimum wage, and we know this because it is honestly common knowledge in India. The labourer that Neville's talking to in that video is speaking in Hindi, and the labour mistreatment has honestly been a practice long before the world cup as well. Those aren't just opinions or inconsistent value systems separated by culture (for instance, alcohol surrounding behaviour totally is), Neville's not going to acknowledge the truly brutal details of the situation he's standing in, and nor will the Qatari citizen leaders he's talking to. It goes a lot beyond showing them living in a difficult dormitory structure that's just a minor discomfort relatively in their situation. And that's why the hypocrisy stabs are valid, because he's pretending Qatar are going to change things that they don't even admit are happening yet.

And also, I'm really glad that the changes that you've said are happening, and I'm sad that they weren't implemented while all the world cup facilities were being built. But humour the possibility that this is some return signalling to the world at a time when they're tremendously under scrutiny from the world. I stand completely in hope that you are right and I am wrong about this.
Dont worry Im fully aware of the awful conditions many migrant workers face in Qatar - the only question here is whether stuff like Neville going out there for the Overlap and the more general World Cup spotlight forces them to improve, there are some signs that it does but obviously there is still a huge amount that still needs to be done.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-60867042

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
People expecting him to work for either TV party and grill Qatar for their issues are out of their fecking minds.

On a more serious note, he's a hypocrite, like 99% of today's people. I really don't know why fans debate him so much.
Agreed. He is a hypocrite. If he kept his views to himself, then he wouldn’t have had any of this backlash.

I find it amusing when people needlessly get themselves into these holes. The Just Stop Oil protestor who “welled up” whilst filming herself the other day strapped to an overhead gantry, drives a car that uses petrol. The (ex?) leader of Insulate Britain hasn’t insulated his own home. Emma Thompson flies over 5 thousand miles to join a climate protest. You couldn’t make it up really.

Politicians across the board are pretty much the same.

99% are hypocrites. Massive credit to the ones who aren’t, but otherwise, you’re best to wind your neck in.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Annoying YouTube voice aside this video does a good breakdown of why Gary Overlap Qatar was a lot of shite.

So annoying that I struggled to watch past first few mins - does he say anything apart from more details about the issues that Neville highlights?

As I said before, this is Sky Sports Overlap not BBC Panorama so would be silly to expect some kind of massive exposé

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
Agreed. He is a hypocrite. If he kept his views to himself, then he wouldn’t have had any of this backlash.

I find it amusing when people needlessly get themselves into these holes. The Just Stop Oil protestor who “welled up” whilst filming herself the other day strapped to an overhead gantry, drives a car that uses petrol. The (ex?) leader of Insulate Britain hasn’t insulated his own home. Emma Thompson flies over 5 thousand miles to join a climate protest. You couldn’t make it up really.

Politicians across the board are pretty much the same.

99% are hypocrites. Massive credit to the ones who aren’t, but otherwise, you’re best to wind your neck in.
So only people rich enough to own a house with a drive / enough money to buy an electric car should protest against oil . Maybe if we had good quality affordable public transport she could get by without a car.

People should only try to get the government to pay for insulation for the poorest in society if they can afford to have their own home well insulated ?.

Sweet Square

So annoying that I struggled to watch past first few mins - does he say anything apart from more details about the issues that Neville highlights?

As I said before, this is Sky Sports Overlap not BBC Panorama so would be silly to expect some kind of massive exposé
Gary interviews a player for the Qatar woman's football team and the show talk about how women football is developing in Qatar although somewhat slowly.

At no point is it mentioned the women team has played at best only a handful of games(Pretty sure the last game the Qatar women team played was November last year against Afghanistan). The player who is interviewed in the past has talked about how she would get beaten by her father for playing football, this isn’t mentioned in the Neville show.

When Neville wants to find out what life is like for western women living in Qatar(Which is just odd framing imo)he interviews someone who works the Qatar state media.

There’s tons of other examples in the video.
Tbf Pamorama is rubbish but really the it’s just the overlap so don’t expect basic journalistic standards is a shite answer to criticism.

Foxbatt

Immigrant low paid labour has been treated terribly. Their working conditions are terrible. People packed like sardines and inhumane conditions in some places. This didn't start with the WC. Actually the WC highlight the issues and it has got a lot better. The bigger problem is what would happen after the WC. It's not only Qatar but the whole middle east treats the non white immigrant workers like shit.
But some of you having a go at everything in Qatar probably has never been to Qatar.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
So only people rich enough to own a house with a drive / enough money to buy an electric car should protest against oil . Maybe if we had good quality affordable public transport she could get by without a car.

People should only try to get the government to pay for insulation for the poorest in society if they can afford to have their own home well insulated ?.
The logic applied by some people seems to amount to this: it's better that everyone just stops caring about global warming (or human rights, for that matter) because it's very likely that anyone doing so might fall into the "hypocrite" category for some reason or another.

And then...yes, what? Does the issue of global warming become less pressing because someone who brings it up happens to occasionally use a combustion engine? It's a juvenile "oh, gotcha there!" kind of reasoning (or lack thereof). Infuriating.