Gary Neville was dead to me | Reborn as a Dragon

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He doesn't believe that a manager should be sacked after a bad result. United did that with Mourinho and it didn't worked well however he did sacked the manager after 6 matches. On the other hand that was a mistake.

Someone should ask him if signing Ole as manager was a mistake because he was the one we replaced Mou with.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s an embarrassment, and has been for a while in all honesty.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
On the one hand has no problems with saying we should be relegated because of the super league fiasco then on the other won't say the obvious thing.
Neville knows Ole has to go IMO, and you can bet your last dollar if Conte got the job he wouldn't complain that OGS should have stayed and been given time. He'll be all aboard the Conte train
Dunno about that mate. More like 2 months litanny of 'Ole should' ve got more time'.

M Bison

Supports
York City
It is not that he is not saying 'Ole Out'. More that he is screaming 'Ole In', and finding excuses (like we tried with LVG and Mourinho and it did not work). However, today Carragher was waiting for him to say it, and then made him immediately look like a total idiot.
we’ve heard what he’s said very differently.

He was very critical of the coaches and players and said he expects the club to see the season out with him but also said something needs to change, and how pressurised the situation Is now with fans unwilling to accept those performances.

Neville’s narrative has changed in my view.

Becks_VII

He honestly doesn't know what he wants Nev. He's got no answers to the questions been posed to him. He's getting passed off. He said he's never asked for a manager to get the sack and they should be given time over the years yet sacks a manager after 6 games himself, crazy logic

arnie_ni

No he did not! He said give him the season.

Neville sets the mood music and this is disgracefully letting the club down. We're going to piss the season away on stupid sentiments like that.
He didn't say give him the season, he said I think they will give him the season. There's a subtle difference

arnie_ni

I think its pretty clear by how rattled he is he wants ole out but he just can't say it

NK86

Doesn't want Conte as he is "not a good fit for United", but Ole is! Gary is a boring pundit whose bias could not be more clear.

Revan

Assumptionman

He was very critical of the coaches and players and said he expects the club to see the season out with him but also said something needs to change, and how pressurised the situation Is now with fans unwilling to accept those performances.

He mentions that 'he got second last season' to support Ole.

He says that we tried with good managers like LVG and Mourinho (even said that Mourinho was the best in the world, which was clear bullshit), so we should not go down that path.

And he explicitly says that Ole should not be sacked.

He is critical, but there is always a 'but' following the criticism.

M Bison

Supports
York City
He didn't say give him the season, he said I think they will give him the season. There's a subtle difference
agreed, I don’t know why people are twisting the comments, as you say it’s a subtle difference but it’s a completely different statement.

NK86

I think its pretty clear by how rattled he is he wants ole out but he just can't say it
Saw his take. Said he doesn't want Ole sacked. Doesn't want Conte. Said he made a mistake sacking a manager early last season. He is an awful pundit. Carra showing more passion for us.

M Bison

Supports
York City
He mentions that 'he got second last season' to support Ole.

He says that we tried with good managers like LVG and Mourinho (even said that Mourinho was the best in the world, which was clear bullshit), so we should not go down that path.

And he explicitly says that Ole should not be sacked.

He is critical, but there is always a 'but' following the criticism.
he’s consistently said that he would never call for a manager to be sacked though. As I say, I think We’ve interpreted his comments differently.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
And he did not say that he thinks the club should do anything other than that. The others on the panel are suggesting a different course of action, he has clearly stopped short of agreeing with them.

Drizzle

He's enabling that. If you can't see what he's doing then I can't help you. How is it that it's only him from the pundits who isn't clearly saying we need a better manager?

He's either stupid or he's toeing the party line. I know which I think.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Neville: “Mourinho was the best manager in the world when we hired him, look what happened there!”

Carragher: “So Manchester United shouldn’t look to hire the best manager in the world?”

Neville: “Uh…”
Mourinho was widely regarded as a has been when we hired him.

Offsideagain

I’m shocked that everybody else is shocked. It was odds on we would lose today. No form at all coming into this one. Snatching a late winner here and there doesn’t do it. Scousers were drilled, organised and confident. We were terrified, clueless and pathetic.
Mourhino lived in a vloody hotel for two years or whatever it was, some commitment that showed. Ole was hired because he is cheap salary wise.

Blood Mage

He is a good pundit but it's obvious that Ole is a close friend and this situation is difficult for him, same with Scholes. They should excuse themselves from this debate.

Flexdegea

I'm wondering what interview people were watching too, he literally said nothing is good enough, except say he needs sacked. Seems everyone fixated on him not calling out for hie head...................he also correct about the board he doesn't think they sack him asap as theyve no plan at the moment.

He never asked for a manager to be sacked, weird folks need him to say it.

He hammered everyone earlier

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Neville: “Mourinho was the best manager in the world when we hired him, look what happened there!”

Carragher: “So Manchester United shouldn’t look to hire the best manager in the world?”

Neville: “Uh…”
Was absolutely ridiculous.
Mourinho was well on the meltdown route by the time we had him.

Glad we did though, as we'd have forever been on about him, we had to satisfy that "what if".

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Carragher talks the most sense.
I remember him being almost furious when we were getting battered under a previous manager ( I forget which, might have been Moyes v Everton).

I suppose it's easier at times to speak as an outsider, which G Nev will never be about United.

There's games where you just know the manager is on his way out. Moyes had 3-0 batterings v Pool and City, but it was that Everton one that saw him out.

We've just had Leicester and today, and I think if he survives by sheer skin of teeth tonight, he's one big defeat off.

AFC NimbleThumb

That's not what he's saying.

He's saying that we shouldn't bring in any old manager without a clear succession plan, and without planning to ensure that the next coach is a good fit for the squad. LvG was poor with Moyes' squad, and Mourinho was poor with LvG's squad. Both wasted huge amounts of money to remould the team and left it in tatters after they left.

Ole's built a talented squad but isn't good enough to get the best out of it. His replacement needs to be somebody who easily fits the existing philosophy without needing to spend hundreds of millions to rebuild from scratch.
The bolded is our biggest issue as a club. We should have contingency plans in place as an institution but every time this point comes we act surprised that the manager hasn’t replicated the exception that is, SAF.

OgS has failed dramatically this season & after today should be in an untenable position. We shouldn’t keep OgS because another manager may fail, he’s had his chances.

We should have a very short list of managers who we feel for the profile we have [whatever that is], we shouldn’t be restricting ourselves to lists of unemployed managers. If the guy we want is in a job, we should either stump up & get him or hire a caretaker for exactly that purpose until the right candidate can leave his club.

Hiring the next manager should have nothing to do with sacking OgS. We convolute the process, OgS isn’t SAF leaving - tens of managers could manage the club to losses against Leicester, Everton & Young Boys.

Tyrion

I wish he would stop talking about United.
Unfortunately Sky love trying to get people into stupid arguments. I thought it was pathetic when Carragher said CR wouldn't get into Klopps team (on Monday) and the presenter looked at Neville expecting some sort of argument. It's like he's just trolling the pundits.

I'm waiting for next year when Carragher, Neville and Keane have to rank their children in order of intelligence while Sky eggs them on and hands Keane weapons.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
he’s always said he would never push for a manager to be sacked, so he’s not going to contradict himself by now saying Ole should be sacked.

His point was what he expects the club to do based on recent history. He’s been very critical of him today, further than I’ve heard him go previously.
Yes but him saying he did it last season, regrets it and wishes he gave him until the end of the season suggests he feels the club would be right in taking that approach.

InfiniteBoredom

Mourinho was widely regarded as a has been when we hired him.
Not quite. He won the league just a year prior. There was a clear pattern of brief highs followed by the crash and burn, and the burgeoning sign of his approach in big games becoming less effective, but he was still considered one of the best in the game and most were willing to put the Chelsea fall out as a blip as it was his first real objectively bad season since he started.

His decline only became evident during his time here with us. There was no wide recognition of the fact prior to that.

SAFMUTD

There's no lengths he won't reach to avoid criticism on Ole. carragher is the one talking sense.

Ralph1386

Watching him and Carragher after the game, you would think that Carragher is a United fan whereas Gary is a Liverpool fan who wants Ole to stay for as long as possible.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The biggest issue with sacking managers is that players are the previous manager's players and worked to his system.
That isn't an issue here as we don't have one!

Conte or whoever would surely be licking their lips at the prospect of picking this squad up.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Watching him and Carragher after the game, you would think that Carragher is a United fan whereas Gary is a Liverpool fan who wants Ole to stay for as long as possible.
Carragher has repeatedly been spot on with us when we're very clearly in need of change. G Nev can't get over the Fergie spell, not recognising a 20+ year spell is a massive anomaly, not something you'll always be able to repeat.

MUFC OK

Utterly embarrassing, lost a lot of respect for him. Can't listen to his views whilst Ole remains.