Gary Neville was dead to me | Reborn as a Dragon

Glorio

Yeah sure Keane rambled a bit but he didn’t ever say Ronaldo shouldn’t be punished, that’s the only point I was making about Keane. Neville was not right and it was a daft thing to say that Ronaldo should leave the club due to this incident. He should know better having been around for Cantona kicking people in the face and Scholes refusing to play, that burnt bridges can be built again. But he chose to approach this matter in the same ridiculously over the top manner a lot on here chose to. Considering our very limited options up front letting Ronaldo go and banishing him right now would be very stupid. Thankfully Erik Ten Hag isn’t a dramatic moron and has had the adult reasonable reaction to all of this. Punished Ronaldo for one game and integrated him back into the team.
Neville is 100% right. If any player can't accept a bench role, especially when the team performs better without said player, the best thing for him and the club is that he leaves. That's common sense.

The narrative you're pushing that Gary is saying Ronaldo should leave as a consequence of this specific incident is false.

redcucumber

Dont know why we have to have our legends going at each other over a conversation point. I've never seen the same thing between the many ex-liverpool pundits.

In fact, I think the reason Sky love Neville (and keane to a lesser degree) is he has no loyalty whatsoever and will happily dig out the club or ex-teammates. Can't think of another pundit from any other team who slates players of their former club and certainly not ex-teammates - they don't even hide their bias. Maybe I can be corrected though.
They were having a go at each other because Keane was being irrational and spouting nonsense. Was Neville supposed to sit there and nod along in agreement just so as not to appear to be anti United? Neville definitely leans too far sometimes to try to appear completely objective, but this really isn't an instance of that so it's completely irrelevant to the conversation at hand.

youmeletsfly

ll Keane and Rio, have come out with that rubbish when the truth is staring us in the face.
What Neville said wasn't even that bad. But, considering that him and the other two are lil bitches, I'd understand Ronnie's reaction.

Other than that, I agree Ronnie's too old for the EPL and should move on.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The clash with Keane after the Chelsea game:

The podcast after the Chelsea game:

Neville is making sense as far as I'm concerned: Ronaldo is struggling with not being the main man at United so he has to leave to go somewhere he'll play, United are a less good team with him than without him these days, the manager is managing him the best way he can given the circumstances etc.

Nothing disrespectful, 100% factual. Ronaldo's ego, which is part of what made him a footballing phenomenon, cannot stand to be overshadowed but at 37 in the Premier League that is always likely to happen. It is not in anyone's best interests for things to continue like this so something has to give in the near future. The talk of 'disrespect' and 'he's a goalscorer so he has to play' is insane and I've been shocked that anyone, least of all Keane and Rio, have come out with that rubbish when the truth is staring us in the face.
100% agree. Neville was spot on with every point he made - what he says just makes sense.

Keane position is very strange. The weirdest argument was about Ronaldo being disrespected by Ten Hag, just because he "feels" disrespected.

Roy Keane looks like a guy who invested too much into it and will now just use any ridiculous argument to defend his position. He's not listening to others anymore, just spitting his truths. He chose Ronaldo side and now is trying to justify it in a way that sounds comically coming from his particular mouth. This is sad to see.

MUFC OK

They were having a go at each other because Keane was being irrational and spouting nonsense. Was Neville supposed to sit there and nod along in agreement just so as not to appear to be anti United? Neville definitely leans too far sometimes to try to appear completely objective, but this really isn't an instance of that so it's completely irrelevant to the conversation at hand.
I don't agree that it was nonsense, think Keane was right to call out Neville after highlighting that Scholes refused to play in the past and that united players had committed other indiscretions that were far worse. I also don't buy the argument that united are a better team without Ronaldo based on the options available currently. A fit and firing Martial changes that though.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It's hard to believe it is a genuinely-held position, as the only requirement I can see for finding a different position is having two eyes
Fair :lol: I just don't believe a meeting took place at Sky Sports where they said 'listen, we need somebody to argue that Ronaldo has been badly treated and isn't just a 37 year old guy on the way down. Roy even though you've made it clear in private that you take an opposing view can you handle that for us please as we need clicks?'. I'm willing to bet their clickbait comes slightly more organically than that, but I've no doubt that everyone involved in that post-Chelsea segment knew full well that what they were about to say would result in an eight minute video entitled 'Keane and Neville CLASH over Ronaldo *angery emoji*'.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't agree that it was nonsense, think Keane was right to call out Neville after highlighting that Scholes refused to play in the past and that united players had committed other indiscretions that were far worse. I also don't buy the argument that united are a better team without Ronaldo based on the options available currently. A fit and firing Martial changes that though.
Keane did agree that others did similar things and were rightly punished, but the problem is Keane tried to justify Ronaldo behavior - that he feels disrespected by Ten Hag not playing him whenever possible. He also thinks Ronaldo "gives enough back", suggesting he is entitled to behave like a prima donna. What is simply ridiculous if you look at his numbers - even more shocking if you watch him play.

djembatheking

Gary Neville is 100% right on this one and I am sure he doesn`t give a flying feck if Ronaldo ever speaks to him again.

redcucumber

There's a massive difference between a 27 year old Paul Scholes and a 37 year old Ronaldo. Does that even need pointing out? You get away with a bit more when you're a huge part of an elite team that wins things. Ronaldo doesn't have that goodwill in the bank, so when he behaves like an absolute cock (not the first time) while contributing very little, it's a lot less forgiveable. Absolutely no chance that he's our best option at the moment either, mate. Have you been watching our games this season? Ronaldo is utterly finished, Rashford is a far better option as has been shown.

djembatheking

There's a massive difference between a 27 year old Paul Scholes and a 37 year old Ronaldo. Does that even need pointing out? You get away with a bit more when you're a huge part of an elite team that wins things. Ronaldo doesn't have that goodwill in the bank, so when he behaves like an absolute cock (not the first time) while contributing very little, it's a lot less forgiveable. Absolutely no chance that he's our best option at the moment either, mate. Have you been watching our games this season? Ronaldo is utterly finished, Rashford is a far better option as has been shown.
Agree mate, Scholes did it away from the cameras before boarding the train too and face to face refused to play for Fergie so it was an in house thing to deal with. Ronaldo made a big show by walking off in front of a packed Old Trafford , (he knew exactly what he was doing) when he could have refused but stayed on the bench and not made a scene but discussed it in the dressing room man to man with Ten Hag. The way he did it made it all about him and Ten Hag had to deal with it( which he did a good job of) and deflected talk away from the team performing really well in the match against Spurs without him. Gary just saw it for what it is and like most of us sees Ronaldo as a massive selfish bellend.

Sylar

Keane also said Ronaldo scores a goal every two games ...

MUFC OK

The point in question was the behaviour.

He's a better option than Rashford up top which is only a good idea when running in behind against Liverpool/City/Arsenal etc. The likes of Sancho and Elanga don't deserve to be starting at all currently so curious to know what you think our best front 3 is whilst Martial is injured?

No I've not had chance to catch any of our games just yet as it happens.. plan to soon.. I get some of you despise Ronaldo but it's clear he's still in ETH's plans who is most qualified to decide on the best XI. Not any of us on here or Gary Neville who I'm not sure has ever been right about anything, other than calling out the ESL and Glazers (eventually).

RuudTom83

Keane is not really going for the respected lead pundit position; he is more just playing a character these days.

The ex-player that has hurt himself the most during the Ronaldo debate in my eyes is Rio.

Rio was the first to push the lack of communication angle and changed tact a few times to align himself with Ronaldo...which has lost him lot of credibility in my view.

redcucumber

He's a better option than Rashford up top which is only a good idea when running in behind against Liverpool/City/Arsenal etc. The likes of Sancho and Elanga don't deserve to be starting at all currently so curious to know what you think our best front 3 is whilst Martial is injured?

No I've not had chance to catch any of our games just yet as it happens.. plan to soon.. I get some of you despise Ronaldo but it's clear he's still in ETH's plans who is most qualified to decide on the best XI. Not any of us on here or Gary Neville who I'm not sure has ever been right about anything, other than calling out the ESL and Glazers (eventually).
Why does Ronaldo deserve to be starting?

Quite simply, he does not work in a ten Hag team. Ronaldo doesn't have the build up play, the physicality, the dynamism, literally fecking anything to be a starter for a top team anymore. His finishing isn't what it was, so he can't even play the poacher role. I'd much rather start Sancho or Elanga, or even Garnacho, and use Ronaldo as a sub as and when necessary. And it's not about "despising" Ronaldo. I couldn't give one solitary shit about Ronaldo, in the same way he doesn't give one solitary shit about United - I want him to leave and not play because I think that's what is best for United.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

How would you know he's a better option when you haven't even been watching the games?

Herman Toothrot

No he isn't. Not anymore. He's not even a better finisher then Rashford on his current form. the entire team plays better with Ronaldo on the bench.
100%, we play better with our first-choice left winger up front than we do with Ronaldo. He's a very limited player who slows the team down to cater to him, last season you could argue it worked, Ronaldo got 18 goals, but the team collapsed. This season we're not playing that game and we look miles better for it. Ronaldo can't even argue he hasn't had the chances, he's fluffed more attempts this season than the rest of the team combined. Would it be better to have another option? Yes. I'd much rather see Rashford on the left and Martial in the middle with another proper striker in the mix. As it is, our left winger looks streets ahead of Ronaldo as a striker in this current side. Streets ahead. Any chance Rashford misses, and there have been a couple, is not just used as a stick to beat him, but as a distraction by fans wearing CR7-branded underpants from what's blatantly clear; Ronaldo isn't a very good footballer at a consistent level anymore and is definitely not worth the drama if he doesn't learn to suck it up.

MUFC OK

Why does Ronaldo deserve to be starting?

Quite simply, he does not work in a ten Hag team. Ronaldo doesn't have the build up play, the physicality, the dynamism, literally fecking anything to be a starter for a top team anymore. His finishing isn't what it was, so he can't even play the poacher role. I'd much rather start Sancho or Elanga, or even Garnacho, and use Ronaldo as a sub as and when necessary. And it's not about "despising" Ronaldo. I couldn't give one solitary shit about Ronaldo, in the same way he doesn't give one solitary shit about United - I want him to leave and not play because I think that's what is best for United.
We don’t agree then.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Gary wanted Poch, lads.
All of them, ex players, wanted Poch, SAF wanted his mate too, media wanted Poch, Shaw wanted him, probably more players too. We got Erik, they can cry about it or shut up and move on. Some probably already realized we got The Right Man.

MUFC OK

All of them, ex players, wanted Poch, SAF wanted his mate too, media wanted Poch, Shaw wanted him, probably more players too. We got Erik, they can cry about it or shut up and move on. Some probably already realized we got The Right Man.
Check the presser comments from him and Casemiro. We are in good hands :drool:

Chairman Steve

Gary wanted Poch, lads.
I think he did a Twitter poll and I get the feeling he was expecting a Poch landslide when it was a comfortable majority for ETH and he was taken aback by it.

I’m guessing Poch must have paid for a really good dinner for media hacks during his time off between Spurs and PSG.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Hosting ‘Have I Got News For You?’ tonight for anyone interested.

Gazza

Quite weird. He's naturally quite funny, and he's performed in way more pressurised situations as a footballer and is used to being on TV. Yet he seems so wooden.
It is a different audience and a different arena, though. I feel like I'm a good public speaker in certain contexts but put me in a room full of people who know more about politics than I do and I'm going to feel a sense of imposter syndrome. Perhaps Neville might be feeling that?

He is getting absolutely torn apart by Hislop and Merton on the Qatar World Cup.

Gazza

He's getting a bit of a grilling over going to Qatar as a commentator.
That's great, and he should have expected that going in. I haven't watched HIGNFY in years and years but I remember Hislop and Merton (are they still the captains?) would not hesitate to embarrass a guest. Gary deserves it on this matter so I hope he gets a bit of a doing over. :D