Gary Neville was dead to me | Reborn as a Dragon

Withnail

No he's not supposed to be impartial, he's supposed to give his opinion and analysis on the game he's watching. He can be as partial as he likes. If you think commentators and pundits have been impartial before now you're mistaken, we just see and hear it now more often thanks to social media.
Oh right Sky should just employ a load of fans to talk shite and moan over all the games in that case.

MDFC Manager

We don't know what he's hearing from within the club. He obviously knows stuff that isn't common knowledge outside the club.
With regards to Rashford, he's probably also watching a different game to the rest of us

Ekeke

But that's a direct consequence of this match is it not? Pundits are supposed to create a narrative.
No. No one match is enough to draw that conclusion. Any team can have a poor performance.

He's saying he's given up on this group of players and doesnt enjoy watching any of it so we should scrap the entire thing.

He's not saying "United have played poorly at the back and might not get a winner" he's saying "I dont like being here watching United because I've already decided on the players and I dont care about any of them"

Ether

Meh, everything he said was correct imo. Besides he's gone in far harder on Arsenal when they struggled under Wenger, calling their players a disgrace and embarrassment etc.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's not talking about their teammates. He's including them.

And that doesnt help fan perception when someone who is supposed to be professional is being completely unrealistic.
This could go on all day. People should think for themselves, but even if they did base their perspective on Gary’s comments, they wouldn’t be far wrong in this instance.

Ekeke

This could go on all day. People should think for themselves, but even if they did base their perspective on Gary’s comments, they wouldn’t be far wrong in this instance.
Well they would if they follow what he said. If a United fan listens to Neville today and says "yeah he's right!" then what happens in the summer when obviously we can expect 3 or 4 signings and 3 or 4 going the other way and its unrealistic to expect anymore?

Even if all of those are good signings and we get rid of the right 3 or 4 players, one poor result near the start of the season and its "Ole should have got rid of the entire lot like Neville said". Ole brought a feel good factor and spirit back to the club, Neville is taking a dump on it because Mourinho isnt there anymore.

IrishRedDevil

@GifLord thanks. There was actually more where he called the team awful, despondent, says he prefers to watch Huddersfield etc but the video captures his mood.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
@GifLord thanks. There was actually more where he called the team awful, despondent, says he prefers to watch Huddersfield etc but the video captures his mood.
Yeah just seen the video skipped there's almost a minute missing.
Gonna post a proper in a few minutes
edit: Updated

Last edited:

b20times

He sounds completely distraught and at the end of his tether. Got to respect what he says as he's seen it all, he should go in and help ole.

SteveW

He's not wrong but listening to him bitch and moan for the last 35 minutes was a bit fecking tiring.

FujiVice

On the bright side, Gary and his boys are going to Wembely. Salford just won.

Ekeke

He never lays into them like he does certain players.

The Lingard and Rashfords have been just as bad this season. Probably much worse than a certain Frenchman.

And its the continued sustained attacks between games that bothers me the most.
He talks the most shit talk about our defense, which includes Smalling, Jones and Shaw so I dont think so. I dont think hes biased towards Lingard and some others because they're English. If anything its because he likes him

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
He's not wrong but listening to him bitch and moan for the last 35 minutes was a bit fecking tiring.
Bit like being on the Caf, I’d struggle to hear any United fan talk about us at the moment.

goin4glory

He's right about how bad we are, but he never talks about the English lads Jones/Smalling/Young/Shaw/Rashford. Did the same thing with Rooney, said nothing while millions of fans were screaming at their TV's.

dogwithabone

I don’t think Neville can be criticised for what he said today. His commentary would have carried absolutely no validity if he’d tried flowering up that shower of sh*te any differently to the total car crash of a performance that it was.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's right about how bad we are, but he never talks about the English lads Jones/Smalling/Young/Shaw/Rashford. Did the same thing with Rooney, said nothing while millions of fans were screaming at their TV's.
He rarely mentions specific people other than Pogba does he?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don’t think Neville can be criticised for what he said today. His commentary would have carried absolutely no validity if he’d tried flowering up that shower of sh*te any differently to the total car crash of a performance that it was.
Exactly. If he tried to make out like things were rosey people would find fault with that too (and be more in the right if anything). Some people can't handle anything other than exactly what they think so they want this impartialness.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
When you make your co commentator uncomfortable for a whole game you know you’re pushing the boundaries quite a bit.

He didn’t hold back. Can you blame him? He’s 100% right

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
He talks the most shit talk about our defense, which includes Smalling, Jones and Shaw so I dont think so. I dont think hes biased towards Lingard and some others because they're English. If anything its because he likes him
There's a difference between talking bad about the defense as a collective and having a go at individual players.

At least you admit he is biased though.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
When you make your co commentator uncomfortable for a whole game you know you’re pushing the boundaries quite a bit.

He didn’t hold back. Can you blame him? He’s 100% right
It probably does not make good TV though they should probably not have him commentate on United matches.

Cpt Negative

Not sure why Neville gets so much shit from United fans. He only says what we’re all thinking

SteveW

Bit like being on the Caf, I’d struggle to hear any United fan talk about us at the moment.
Not sure it's the right approach with a captive audience personally. Not everyone wants to listen to it for the hundredth time.

Think we just need this season to end tbh.

Ekeke

There's a difference between talking bad about the defense as a collective and having a go at individual players.

At least you admit he is biased though.
For sure he is, but not towards "every English player". He never gives Smalling credit for example. Just constantly complains about all the defenders.

He has a bias towards the players he likes, which probably includes Lingard

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Not sure it's the right approach with a captive audience personally. Not everyone wants to listen to it for the hundredth time.

Think we just need this season to end tbh.
To be fair it's doing wonders for non-United fans so the captive audience is there.

dogwithabone

He was probably a bit harsher today because, like us all, he could see the final nail being hammered in. I’m hoping by 5pm next Sunday Ole let’s rip in the same way. The season is over, he no longer needs the bunch of w*nkers and I’m desperately hoping he gives a withering no holds barred interview to echo the sentiment of us fans.

hobbers

His biases towards players he coached for England are obvious but then you'd expect that.

Young, Lingard and Rashford in particular. He's much less kind to Smalling or Shaw.