Gary Neville was dead to me | Reborn as a Dragon

Martial

He is absolutely spot on.

Van Gaal and Mourinho came whilst winning the league in every single club they had managed before. They both couldn't win the league here.

There is something deep and culturally wrong with this club right now, and he is right that simply having an eleven that runs and works hard would be a big step forward for us next season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Good rant tbh
He made some very good points and some over dramatic. His point on cleansing is spot on and Carragher's point on since we lack DoF it's the signings Jose made was also spot on.

In the end, it's all on Woodward now.

Josh 76

Maybe you just can't understand it
What I heard from this rant was basically Woodward and the board is to blame for this mess.
Not any of the managers. He also says some of the players are not good enough. These are the players which were brought from the managers, which he said are not to blame.

Then he says the board haven't supported the manager. They have given 700 fecking million. When Carragher brought this point up, Neville brings up the example of how Mourhino was refused to buy two 30+ overpaid players.

He just contradicts himself and keeps changing his opinions.

red4ever 79

It's hard not to agree with everything Neville has said here.
Agree also. In my whole life time supporting Utd I have never disliked the team. I may have disliked certain players, but never the team. I can't stand this group of players. The idea of recruiting former players into technical or business roles is a joke. The structure and the decision making of the club is like mickey mouse.

Two points stood out for me last night watching City. They had a young lad at LB 'Zinchenko' not the best LB in the world and I dont think that's his natural position. However, he ran and ran non stop sprinting all the time. Even when the ball went out for a throw in he was over there, over lapping to put the cross in. Compare that to the video of Shaw ambling back on Sunday. I am not hitting just on Shaw, I am giving one example. The motivation and desire is not there with our players. There was also a moment in the second half when Sane was stood on the touchline and when receiving the ball he mis controlled it and it went out for a throw. Pep went ballistic on the touchline. That's what I want to see, a Manager who demands perfection. That's the standard he demands and it is why they are Champions and perhaps will win the league again this year.

Water Melon

In Gary Neville's world it is everyone's bar managers or English lads fault. Eddy, the owners, Pogba, Martial etc are all to blame, while you do not hear any single comment about the supreme idiocy of Moyes' reign, extreme history-proven toxicity of Jose, selfishness of Rashford and kamikaze defending by Shaw or Phil Jones. There is so much bias in what Neville usually says. A legend of a player, but a shite coach and quite an average pundit imho.

crossy1686

career ending
In Gary Neville's world it is everyone's bar managers or English lads fault. Eddy, the owners, Pogba, Martial etc are all to blame, while you do not hear any single comment about the supreme idiocy of Moyes' reign, extreme history-proven toxicity of Jose, selfishness of Rashford and kamikaze defending by Shaw or Phil Jones. There is so much bias in what Neville usually says. A legend of a player, but a shite coach and quite an average pundit imho.
I mean, he did say 'You'll never get me to say a manager wasn't good enough or should be sacked while on Sky'. Doesn't mean he doesn't think that, just means he doesn't feel comfortable making a judgement that could ultimately ruin someone's career because people will believe him.

JohnnyKills

He said we need a best-in-class football department and then, when asked whether we've got a best-in-class coach, he ummed and ahhed.

Good rant, but he sounds like the typical fan you'd see in the pub rather than a top pundit IMO.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He said we need a best-in-class football department and then, when asked whether we've got a best-in-class coach, he ummed and ahhed.

Good rant, but he sounds like the typical fan you'd see in the pub rather than a top pundit IMO.
Technically speaking you can have rookies at coaching/managerial level as long as they are properly guided at top level. Juventus (when they signed Conte), Barcelona (early years of Pep) and AC Milan (early years of Capello) did it.

Josh 76

I mean, he did say 'You'll never get me to say a manager wasn't good enough or should be sacked while on Sky'. Doesn't mean he doesn't think that, just means he doesn't feel comfortable making a judgement that could ultimately ruin someone's career because people will believe him.
If this is the case, then the whole rant is a joke. What he believes and what he says are not the same. Carragher would just say how it is about Liverpool.

Water Melon

Good point made there crossy, but then negative comments can end a player's or a CEO's career too. A comment on media can ruin a president's career as well, but again, when it comes to Garry I find him to be selective to put it mildly, but being frank he is biased.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Well we're on our 4th manager and it doesn't seem to be working (although Ole should be given the summer). After changing the manager 4 times without success then you have to look at where else the problems lie.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I am just so tired of this "Mourinho wasnt backed" narrative being pushed again and again.

One of the reasons were struggling is becusse of all the overpriced dead weight Mourinho bought. The guy spent millions pushing us further back as a club leaving us with severe problems to deal with.

Woodward did a great job blocking his transfers because enough was enough. What is the argument here, we should have further given Mourinho the chance to set the club further back with fail transfers?

The other stuff I can agree with but not backing Mourinho being a bad thing is dumb

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I am just so tired of this "Mourinho wasnt backed" narrative being pushed again and again.

One of the reasons were struggling is becusse of all the overpriced dead weight Mourinho bought. The guy spent millions pushing us further back as a club leaving us with severe problems to deal with.

Woodward did a great job blocking his transfers because enough was enough. What is the argument here, we should have further given Mourinho the chance to set the club further back with fail transfers?

The other stuff I can agree with but not backing Mourinho being a bad thing is dumb
I would go one step further, Woodward is guilty of blindingly back the managers and that's a sackable offense.

Smores

How can you actually say that with how this season has turned out?

Woodward isn't qualified to say who we should sign, Jose knew the defence was shit and flagged this and provided a solution and Woody by the looks of it took the decision not to find an alternative solution but to stick with what we had. They looked at that second place finish and said it's not worth the investment.

rotherham_red

Look I’m a Pogba fan, i like him as a player and what I see of him as a person
I’d love him to do well elsewhere. But he’s been average here for the last 2 months and didn’t even feature against PSG, arguably our biggest win. I really can’t see him suddenly turning it on elsewhere. If he does it shows he’s been cheating the club

Sure RM will always be up there competing but they are a bigger draw than us and will sign the worlds biggest and best players. That’s RM though

Having said that, I’d really like him to stay for one more season and help us through the transition
I'm in exactly the same spot as you mate. I've backed him to the hilt but this little run was where the realisation dawned on me, for both Pogba, and the rest of the squad.

You can have all the talent in the world, but it's worthless if you don't apply it consistently.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

This is the joke narrative Mourinho haters want to hide behind

Woodward did not do a single thing smart. If he had no intention of backing JM any longer he should have:

a) not extended his contract

b) replaced him before the transfer window opened.

Instead he glibly turned down transfers. Refused to strengthen a problematic and imbalanced squad that was over achieved to finish 2nd. Then worse kept JM in as a lame duck manager, who had an Axe to grain and was willing to take the house down with him, as far as December. Literally burying United in a hole too deep for Solksjaer's valiant efforts to raise us out of.

And JM was proved correct. The squad is not good enough and it was never his fault. He simply was never allowed to fully upgrade it. Which is all Woodward's fault

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
he's being paid to say what he thinks. I think his last interview was brilliant. However he can't have different weights and measures. That hits his credibility.

redshaw

I would agree, backing Jose was a costly exercise with too many failures. The biggest problem is once you don't trust your manager, especially after what we saw when Roman said no to Jose is tell Jose to get on with it because he won't and only look to prove his point and ditch the season. We should've let him go when he started upsetting things in pre-season, it was only going to end in tears and we've paid the price with a disaster start.

Going back further, we bought a ton of dross under LVG so we really need to look at our recruitment at the club and wonder how we're buying Rojo for example over others.

I'm sure I can bet my arse that Txiki Begiristain is not looking at Rojo or would approve of that signing.

Last edited:

meamth

Every time I see that goal, I get more and more pissed off at shaw. He should have been busting a gut to recover from that misstimed kick of the ball. So, so, poor.

And yes, a very good rant.
I'd take a red for that mistake. 4th place on the line, just give the foul.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Great rant from Neville.

I know Neville often gets criticized for being tight-lipped and maybe over diplomatic regarding issues at United, but you can tell that coming out with stuff like this is a huge thing to him. Every ex-player, particularly a local legend of the club, will always want to feel like they're welcome. He probably always has it in the back of his head that maybe in some capacity he'll work there again. He's potentially sacrificing all of that here.

Maticmaker

That's why he gets all the headlines and why Sky pay him, have you seen how many people watch football on Sky...from the pub?

crossy1686

career ending
The biggest thing for me there was where he says he doesn't like them. I agree. There's no players in this team I have an affinity towards and like - they're all spineless cnuts.
It takes balls to say that and I think everyone on here agrees, this group of players are detestable. There was even a thread about it a while back how there's no connection with this lot, the OP got called spoiled and a glory supporter but he was right.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Is anyone still claiming that he wasn't backed?

Tiber

Every word makes perfect sense. Aside from Jose's b.s. about a bad second place finish last year

pogs

Gary is spot on about having football people around. I think it is very important that the new DOF role should have executive right along with Woodward. If this new DOF still reports to Ed, it will be same all over again, Ed making all the important football side decisions and bottles them.

Boznich

It takes balls to say that and I think everyone on here agrees, this group of players are detestable. There was even a thread about it a while back how there's no connection with this lot, the OP got called spoiled and a glory supporter but he was right.
I feel exactly the same with this currrent team I'm finding it hard to support United when I can't stand the majority of the squad bar a few players who look to be leaving in the summer anyway, I can forgive a lack of quality and bad results but a lack of effort I can't forgive. All the while the likes of Lingard and Pogba trot around like some half arsed dance troop it boils my piss. rant over haha

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
Excellent rant TBH, been saying it for a while - You lot are in exactly the same position as we were Pre Poch when we had Sherwood in charge. Players didn't want to be there and there was a general apathy around the club. We didn't have any direction and we had to start again, although we had a chairman who knew what he wanted and got what he wanted in the end, can't say the same about Woodward.